Moscow refuses Ankara’s invitation to war: Medvedev

Photo: Sputnik/Ekaterina Shtukina

 

Ankara gave Moscow ground for war, but Russia has refused to respond ‘symmetrically’, Russian Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev told journalists answering the question on Russian Su-24 downing by Turkish F-16 over Syria.

“After a plane was destroyed, how would a country usually react in the 20th century? Begin a war. Because this [Su-24 downing] was a direct attack on another country,” the prime minister said.

“Naturally, war is the worst option. As a matter of fact, Turkey has violated all international legal standards, they committed an act of aggression against us and basically gave ground for war. However we decided against a tit-for-tat response,” the prime minister added

Russia releases video of first-ever submarine launch of Kalibr missiles

Photo: Russian Defence Ministry

 

The Russian submarine Rostov-on-Don fired a salvo of Kalibr cruise missiles from the Mediterranean Sea against ISIS targets in Syria, reports.

The Russian Defense Ministry has released a video of its first-ever submarine launch of Kalibr cruise missiles.

The missiles, launched by the Russian submarine Rostov-on-Don from the Mediterranean Sea, obliterated two IS command posts in Syria.

Moscow has conducted airstrikes against ISIS in Syria since September 30 at the request of Syrian President Bashar Assad. Russia’s Caspian Flotilla warships have also previously carried out Kalibr missile launches against Islamic State assets in the war-torn country.

Indictment accepted for Armenian-Turkish journalist Hrant Dink’s murder case

Istanbul Public Prosecutor’s Office accepted an indictment against 26 suspects on Wednesday in the murder case of Armenian-Turkish journalist Hrant Dink and referred it to Istanbul 14th High Criminal Court, reports.

The Criminal Court will decide whether to approve of the indictment or return it. In case of an approval, the 26 suspects will stand a trial at the court.

Terror and Organized Crimes Prosecutor Gökalp Kökçü submitted the indictment to Istanbul the Public Prosecutor’s Office in October, requesting the arrests of alleged suspects, for forming an organization to commit crimes, deliberate killing, and forgery on documents.

Suspects include the former Istanbul Police Department Chief, Celalettin Cerrah and former Istanbul Police Intelligence Department Head, Engin Dinç.

The indictment submitted by Kökçü for approval was returned two times by the prosecutor’s office due to incomplete documents, but was finally approved on Wednesday.

Dink, then editor-in-chief of the Armenian Agos newspaper, was shot dead by a teenager on Jan. 19, 2007 outside his office in Istanbul. Dink drew the ire of hardline Turkish nationalists in his lifetime, as he was one of the most outspoken voices calling for a debate to start on the controversial Armenian genocide issue. He received numerous death threats before his murder and faced several lawsuits for “denigrating Turkishness,” an act punishable with prison terms, for his articles and editorials on the mass deaths of Armenians in 1915.

The role of police officers and public officials in the plot to kill the Dink had come to light as a new investigation focused on an alleged cover-up of the murder by officials linked to the Gülen Movement, which is accused of attempts to overthrow the government.

Armenian DM discusses situation at the line of contact with Amb. Kasprzyk

On December 9 Armenian Defense Minister Seyran Ohanyan had a phone conversation with Ambassador Andrzej Kasprzyk, the Personal Representative of the OSCE Chairman-in-Office.

Issues related to the situation at the Armenian-Azerbaijani border and the line of contact between the armed forces of Nagorno Karabakh and Azerbaijan were discussed.

The Armenian Defense Minister informed Ambassador Kasprzyk about the provocations incited by the Azerbaijani side and the retaliatory measures taken by the Armenian side during the referendum on Constitutional amendments and the following days.

Mr. Ohanyan expressed his concern over the continuous attempts of the rival to destabilize the situation, emphasizing that on the eve the Azerbaijani side used a tank to fire in the direction of the Armenian positions, which threatens to raise the tension to a new level.

The Armenian Defense Minister stressed the importance of the targeted reaction of the OSCE Minsk Group Co-Chairs for keeping Azerbaijan within the limits of the logic of the negotiation process.

Ambassador Kasprzyk, in turn, voiced concern over the current situation and pledged to take relevant steps.

Armenian retired Major arrested on charges of treason

Armenian retired Major Garik Marutyan, born in 1977, has been arrested on charges of treason, the National Security Service informs.

NSS says Marutyan, who had long worked as head of different intelligence units, established contacts with Azerbaijani special services operating in Turkey through Facebook and provided them with secret information against pay.

A criminal case has been launched under Article 299.1 of the Criminal Code of the Republic of Armenia. Investigation is under way.

Arthur Abraham in Armenia to celebrate the victory

 

 

 

Committed to a long-established tradition, WBO Middleweight Champion Arthur Abraham, has arrived in Armenia to celebrate his victory with relatives, friends and the Armenian people.

Arthur Abraham last won a split decision over Martin Murray on November 21 at the TUI Arena in Hannover.

Abraham says he had studied the opponent and was intentionally allowing Murray to attack.

Speaking of his recent “Champion of Berlin-2015” Award, the boxer said it was important for him.

Arthur Abraham told reporters in Armenia he married a few months ago, but tried to keep it secret.

The boxer said he’ll have another bout by the end of the year and will stay in professional boxing for another two years.

Eagles of Death Metal on Paris stage with U2

US rock band Eagles of Death Metal have appeared on stage in Paris, less than a month after deadly attacks during their performance in the French capital, the BBC reports.

The band took to the stage to perform at the end of a U2 concert at the AccorHotels Arena.

“They were robbed of their stage three weeks ago and we would like to offer them ours tonight,” said singer Bono.

Ninety of the 130 people who died in the 13 November attacks were killed at the concert at the Bataclan venue.

Bono embraced Eagles of Death Metal singer Jesse Hughes ahead of an emotional joint rendition of Patti Smith’s People Have The Power.

EODM then performed I Love You All The Time.

An appearance by the Eagles of Death Metal at the 16,000-capacity arena had been heavily rumoured.

Images show Turkey covertly constructing airbase in Northern Iraq

Turkey is building an airbase in Northern Iraq without the knowledge of the central government in Baghdad, images show, reports.

Images taken by field sources in Iraq display construction of an illegal airbase named ‘Bamerne’ by the Turkish army in Northern Iraq.

The airbase is being built at the geographical coordinates of 37°05′52″N and 43°15′58″E which corresponds to a region in Dahuk, Northern Iraq.

Turkey sent approximately 130-150 soldiers to Northern Iraq on Friday. Ankara claims that its forces that are deployed near the city of Mosul are tasked with training Peshmerga, which has been involved in the fight against the ISIL, but the troops have been sent there without the permission and even the knowledge of the Baghdad government.

But Iraqi Prime Minister Haider Abadi warned on Sunday that Baghdad might use all the available options, including an address to the UN Security Council, if Turkey fails to withdraw its troops from Northern Iraq within 48 hours,.

Russia sends attack, transport helicopters to air base in Armenia

AP Photo/ SERGEY PONOMAREV

 

Seven of Russia’s advanced Mi-24 Hind attack helicopters and Mi-8MT Hip transport helicopters have been deployed to a Russian air base in Armenia, the Southern Military District (SMD) said Tuesday, reports.

An additional batch of helicopters is expected to reach the base by the end of the year, the SMD said.

“The Russian air base Erebuni, Armenia, received a batch of modern helicopters – Mi-24P attack and Mi-8MT transport helicopters,” SMD’s press service said.

The helicopters will sit alongside the MiG-29 fighters at the air base, the SMD said, adding that pilots would begin helicopter flights in a month.

The district’s Erebuni base was formed in 1995 and the MiG-29 Fulcrum multirole fighters were deployed there in 1998, according to the Russian Defense Ministry. In July 2001, the units at Erebuni were incorporated into an air division of the Russian 102nd Military Base in Gyumri, Armenia.