ISTANBUL: Dink remembered on 6th anniversary of murder as calls for

Dink remembered on 6th anniversary of murder as calls for justice grow

Hundreds of thousands of people marched from İstanbul’s Taksim Square
to the site of Hrant Dink’s murder in 2007,the Agos weekly
headquarters in Å?iÅ?li, as they do every year on Jan. 19 since Dink’s
murder. (Photo: AA, Burak Akbulut)
RELATED NEWS

Six years on, eyes on probe into public officials’ role in Dink murder

19 January 2013 / TODAYSZAMAN.COM, İSTANBUL,

Tens of thousands of people on Saturday remembered Turkish-Armenian
journalist Hrant Dink on the sixth anniversary of his murder and
called for justice as they done for the past six years.
Thousands of people marched from İstanbul’s Taksim Square to the site
of Hrant Dink’s murder in 2007,the Agos weekly headquarters in Å?iÅ?li,
as they do every year on Jan. 19 since Dink’s murder to support his
family and demand justice.

Speaking from the window of Agos, Dink’s widow, Rakel, said it has
been six years without Hrant. `But we are again here at the spot where
he was shot. I will share my pain with you. Nobody is doing good to
us, everyone is committing crime and they continuing to do so,’ Rakel
Dink said in sorrow.

Writer Hidayet Å?eftali Tüksal also spoke during the commemoration
ceremony, saying Dink’s friends have been waiting for justice to be
served for six years.

The American left-wing philosopher and activist Noam Chomsky was also
among those who spoke from the window of Agos. He said Dink can be
best understood if his path is followed.

Saturday’s commemoration ceremonies were marred by clashes between a
group of demonstrators and police in İstanbul as the commemoration
ceremony ended. Police reportedly used pepper gas during the clashes.

The late editor-in-chief of the Turkish-Armenian weekly Agos, Dink,
was shot dead by ultranationalist teenager Ogün Samast in İstanbul on
Jan. 19, 2007. Dink was convicted in 2005 for `insulting Turkishness’
despite an expert report that he had not committed the said crime. He
received threats from extremist rightist groups and ultranationalist
circles until he was murdered.

While Samast was sentenced to 22 years, 10 months in prison by a
juvenile court, Yasin Hayal was given life in prison for inciting the
murder. In a separate trial, two gendarmerie officers were convicted
merely on charges of `dereliction of duty’ in the run-up to the Dink
murder. During the five-year trial process, both lawyers for the Dink
family and prosecution presented evidence indicating that Samast was
not acting alone. The prosecution believes the killers are affiliated
with the Ergenekon network, whose suspected members currently stand
trial on charges of plotting to overthrow the government, but so far
it has not been possible to question them about Dink’s murder.

On Jan. 10, The Supreme Court of Appeals’ Chief Public Prosecutor’s
Office asked the high court to overturn a highly controversial ruling
from last year that ruled out the involvement of an organized criminal
network in the killing of Dink. The top prosecutor said that Dink was
obviously killed specifically because he is from a different ethnic
group, and his murder was part of the planned and systematic activity
of a criminal network aiming to damage the state’s unity.

Friends of Hrant are saying `We are Here Ahparig! (`ahparig’ means `my
brother’ in Armenian) this year and last week kicking off a week-long
memorial of events ranging from film screenings to exhibitions, from a
symposium to a story-reading and musical performances which started at
Cezayir Meeting Hall on Jan. 12-13 with a symposium entitled `Hrant
Dink Operation: 6 Years.’

The European Court of Human Rights (ECtHR) ruled in September 2010
that Turkey had failed to investigate and prosecute those who were
responsible for Dink’s murder and this constitutes a violation of
Dink’s right to life.

http://www.todayszaman.com/news-304497-.html

Bako Sahakyan stressed the importance of pilot projects in developme

Bako Sahakyan stressed the importance of pilot projects in development
of agriculture in Hadrout region

18:08, 19 January, 2013

YEREVAN, JANUARY 19, ARMENPRESS: On 19 January President of Artsakh
Republic Bako Sahakyan visited the town of Hadrout where he held a
working consultation dedicated to the development of agriculture in
the region.
In his speech Bako Sahakyan noted that we have all the preconditions –
climatic, historical and socioeconomic- for the dynamic development of
the field.
According to the Head of State, while accomplishing programs in the
agricultural sector special attention must be drawn to the
implementation of pilot projects which will reveal their negative and
positive aspects as well as will give an opportunity to expand the
scope of these programs taking into consideration the recorded
results.
NKR Prime Ara Haroutunyan, heads of regional administration
departments and communities participated at the consultation.

Expert: Dink’s murder committed and concealed by Turkish govt.

Expert: Dink’s murder committed and concealed by Turkish govt.

January 19, 2013 – 17:18 AMT

PanARMENIAN.Net – From the judicial perspective, Turkish-Armenian
journalist Hrant Dink’s murder investigation turned into a mere farce,
with all of the legal norms violated, Turkologist Ruben Melkonyan
said.
`Though the Turkish authorities repeatedly pledged to take every step
to disclose the case, a number of high-ranking officials, accomplices
in the crime, continued with their duty,’ the expert said.
`From the political perspective, the Turkish state organized,
committed and further concealed Dink’s assassination,’ Mr Melkonyan
said, adding that the journalist’s murder helped the Turkish public
adopt a standpoint on Armenians different from the government’s
thesis.
`Dink aimed to introduce a change in Turkish mentality. Now we see
that the goals he pursued are being fulfilled,’ he said.

Wave of Identity in Turkey

Wave of Identity in Turkey

17:07 19/01/2013
Story from Lragir.am News:

Six years have passed since Hrant Dink’s murder. What has changed in
Turkey? Vahram Ter-Matevosyan, Turkish studies, says Dink’s
assassination on January 19, 2007 was a watershed in Turkey’s modern
history. What followed this event was another expression of the
identity crisis in the Turkish society. According to him, the Turkish
society is very diverse, which became obvious in the early 2000s, and
Dink’s murder played a role.

`After the assassination another surge of rediscovery of identities
concealed, constrained, violated for centuries and decades rose in
Turkey. The Turkish society with its typically closed, timid and
phobic qualities nevertheless transforms very slowly so it is early to
talk about visible and large-scale change although it is impossible to
ignore the existence of their causes,’ the expert says.

He adds that one of the six arrows of Kemalism which have shaped the
citizen of Turkey since 1920 was nationalism. The underlying approach
is that the citizen of Turkey is a Turk, and Turkey is a unitary
country. Hence, Dink’s murder was not only followed by another stage
of discovery of identity but also led to counteraction.

Another surge of xenophobia followed. It is not accidental that the
Nationalist Movement Party which lost the election in 2002 received
14% in the parliamentary election of July 2007. Armenians and
generally non-Turks do not enjoy confidence of Turkish nationalists
and to them intimidation, punishment, lynching is quite acceptable,
says the expert on Turkish studies.

Vahram Ter-Matevosyan says the Armenians have never been safe in
Turkey. They have never been confident of their future though most of
them perceive Turkey as their homeland and continue to fight for a
secure life there.

http://www.lragir.am/index.php/eng/0/country/view/28677

ANCA Calls for White House Meeting between President and Armenian Am

ANCA Calls for White House Meeting between President and Armenian
American Leadership

arminfo
Saturday, January 19, 15:13

The Armenian National Committee of America (ANCA), in its
congratulations message on the occasion of Barack Obama’s second
inauguration, called upon the President to “reset” his relationship
with Armenian Americans with a pre-April 24th policy-level meeting
with the community’s broad-based leadership, ANCA’s website says.

“We are writing to congratulate you on your reelection as President of
the United States, to welcome your inauguration, and, on behalf of our
nation’s two million Americans of Armenian heritage, to reaffirm our
interest in working with your Administration to align U.S. policy with
the principles and priorities that you brought to the White House,”
began the letter to the President. ANCA Chairman Ken Hachikian went on
to cite the importance of a community leadership meeting with the
President, which would “provide a first opportunity for our leadership
to hear from you personally about your perspectives and policies, and
to explore areas of future cooperation.”

Earlier the ANCA also launched a community webmail campaign asking
President Obama, quite simply, “when will you honor your pledge to
recognize the Armenian Genocide?” Reminding the President of his
strong record of affirming the historical truth regarding the Armenian
Genocide during his years in the Senate, the online campaign notes,
“Armenia and all the world are less safe today as a result of the
terrible precedent of a genocide committed with impunity.” It goes on
to state that “there is still time, as early as this coming April
24th, to honor your commitment and put America on the rightside of
this fundamental issue of humanity and human rights.”

It will be a great honor if Armenia hosts world championship match

It will be a great honor if Armenia hosts world championship match –
FIDE official

January 19

TSAKHKADZOR.- It will be a great honor for FIDE if Armenia hosts World
Championship Match, FIDE deputy president Georgios Makropolous said
during the meeting of presidential board.

`Levon Aronian proved to be a strong player who is capable of
defeating any opponent. If he wins the Candidates Tournament, it will
be a great honor for FIDE to hold a match in Armenia,’ he said,
NEWS.am Sport correspondent reports from Tsakhkadzor.

London will host Candidates Tournament from 14 March to 1 April. The
city to host world championship march has not been determined yet.

Photo by Arsen Sargsyan/NEWS.am
NEWS.am Sport

Shoigu Orders Doubling Of Air Force Hq Staff

SHOIGU ORDERS DOUBLING OF AIR FORCE HQ STAFF
Alexey Nikolskiy

RIA Novosti

MOSCOW, January 18 (RIA Novosti) – Russian Defense Minister Sergei
Shoigu has ordered a doubling of staff at the Air Force headquarters
in Moscow to restore its efficiency after massive cuts in the past
few years.

“In line with a decision by the defense minister, the number of staff
at the main headquarters will be more than doubled in the near future,”
Defense Ministry spokesman Lt. Col. Vladimir Deryabin said on Friday.

“The ministry is planning to strengthen the HQ by restoring several
departments to boost the efficiency of its work,” Deryabin said.

Under the recent military reform of the Russian Armed Forces, the Air
Force HQ staff has shrunk to more than one-fifth of its previous size
and several departments were closed down.

The measures have prompted strong criticism from Air Force officials
who say it has affected its work.

In 2009, the Russian Air Force’s structure was completely changed to
a command-air base structure from the previous air army-air division
or corps-air regimental structure .

The Russian Air Force now consists of four operational commands,
including the Operational Strategic Command for Airspace Defense,
Military Transport Aviation Command, and Long Range Aviation Command.

Dpa Not To Leave Armenian National Congress

DPA NOT TO LEAVE ARMENIAN NATIONAL CONGRESS

TERT.AM
18:56 ~U 18.01.13

Talking to Tert.am, Grigor Harutyunyan, Board Secretary of the
Democratic Party of Armenia (DPA), refuted the press reports that
the DPA may leave the opposition bloc Armenian National Congress (ANC).

The party’s source informed the Hraparak newspaper that, an enlarged
meeting of the DPA Political Council is to discuss the party’s further
membership in the ANC.

“We will invite a meeting if necessary,” Mr Harutyunyan said.

H. Bagratian Meets Osce/Odihr Mission Head

H. BAGRATIAN MEETS OSCE/ODIHR MISSION HEAD

Friday,
January 18

A meeting of presidential candidate Hrant Bagratian and the Head of
OSCE/ODIHR Election Observation Mission Ms. Heidi Tagliavini was held
today at the campaign headquarters of H. Bagratian. The meeting took
place on the initiative of H. Tagliavini, according to information
submitted by the candidate~Rs headquarters.

The interlocutors discussed issues related to the upcoming electoral process.

TODAY, 16:52

Aysor.am

"Armenian Southern High-Speed Road" Program Launched In Yerevan

“ARMENIAN SOUTHERN HIGH-SPEED ROAD” PROGRAM LAUNCHED IN YEREVAN
Hasmik Dilanyan

“Radiolur”
17:01 18.01.2013

The “Armenian South Railway” and the “Armenian Southern High-speed
Road” programs were launched in Yerevan today. The implementation of
the programs is among the provisions of President Serzh Sargsyan’s
election platform, and is one of the strategic priorities of the
country.

Armenia will partner with China and Russia to develop the railway.

Corresponding agreements were signed today between the Ministry of
Transport and Communication and the UAE-based “Rasia FZE” Company.

The program will cost approximately $3 billion. The road will
stretch from Meghri to Gagarin; no expenses will be covered by the
state budget, Armenian Minister of Transport and Communication Gagik
Beglaryan said.