Real Madrid fans urge president to quit over Iker Casillas exit

Several hundred Real Madrid fans chanted for president Florentino Perez to resign at an official send-off for goalkeeper and captain Iker Casillas at the Bernabeu stadium on Monday, Zee News reports. 

Real held the presentation following criticism over the surreal nature of Casillas`s tearful news conference on Sunday, when he appeared to be alone in the stadium press room to read out a farewell statement.

The 34-year-old, who is leaving his boyhood club after 16 seasons in the first team to join Porto, appeared on the VIP tribune on Monday with Perez and made a brief statement before going down to the pitch to greet supporters.

Fans in the sweltering streets outside had called for Perez to quit before they were let into the arena and they repeated the chants and gave Casillas a rousing ovation as he posed with the 19 trophies he won with Real, including three European Cups.

Casillas spoke on Sunday after Spanish daily El Mundo published an interview with his parents, with whom he has a troubled relationship, in which they said their son had been forced out of the club by Perez.

Perez said at the presentation he had invited Casillas, whom he said he had “always defended” and described as “irreplaceable”, because of “confused information that has been published that perhaps needs to be explained as it does not correspond with reality.

“Iker is leaving us because that was his wish,” Perez said, adding that the club were looking to organise a farewell friendly match for him, possibly against Porto.

“Nobody from Real Madrid asked him to leave the club. You have to look after your legends and Iker is one.”

 

Five reasons why Christians should stay in the Middle East

By Chris Seiple,  – A well-intentioned argument is developing among some Westerners, urging the evacuationof Christians from the Middle East. These Westerners reason that because no one will defend the Middle Eastern Christians, they should be resettled elsewhere.

Such an approach is naive at best, and complicit at worst, accomplishing the religious cleansing desired by ISIS. Here are five reasons why Christians should not be removed from the birthplace of their faith:

1. Evacuation would be based on bad logic

Western countries do not want Syrian and Iraqi refugees. As Hans Rosling explains: “Today the European Union does everything it can to stop more than 99 percent of the Syrian refugees to apply for the asylum that they are legally entitled to in EU countries.” Meanwhile, to date, the U.S. has taken in fewer than 900 Syrian refugees in four years.

Engaging the U.S. Congress and European parliaments to strike emigration deals and accept Christian-only refugees would require an enormous amount of time and money. Such an effort would ask these countries to discriminate against non-Christians — Muslims are the overwhelming majority of ISIS refugees — violating most international covenants and domestic laws.

2. Removal would be bad business

Let’s assume the resources are there to evacuate Christians to Western countries. These resources could attract the wrong people, who would not otherwise come. For example, during Sudan’s civil war, well-intentioned Christians bought slaves their freedom, inadvertently creating a market for more slaves and making the situation worse. And if evacuating Christians from their homes is the best option, why don’t Christians from northern Nigeria and North Korea get the same chance?

3. It would be bad geopolitics

Voltaire once said: “If you have two religions in your land, the two will cut each other’s throats; but if you have 30 religions, they will dwell in peace.”

Indeed, as Brian Grim demonstrates, the more religious freedom there is, the more political stability, the more economic development and the more women’s empowerment. In other words, the more people on the island — despite the messiness of varying perspectives — the better.

In 1636, Roger Williams was forced to leave Massachusetts. So he went and founded Rhode Island — a place where Jew, Quaker, Indian and Protestant lived in peace. In Massachusetts, the Puritans hanged Quakers and put witches on trial because they deviated from the majority culture. There were no hangings or witch trials in Rhode Island; everyone was welcomed to stay, as long as there was mutual respect.

Removing Christians from the Middle East accelerates instability. It takes out the educated class of public servants and teachers so essential to a functioning society. It removes the buffer between Kurd and Arab, Sunni and Shiite. It provides propaganda for ISIS against those Christians who remain. It aids and abets ISIS, finishing its religious cleansing. And it leaves the Christian-majority West without a bridge of understanding to the Middle East.

4. Leaving would be bad theology

In his acclaimed book, “The Rise of Christianity: How the Obscure, Marginal Jesus Movement Became the Dominant Religious Force in the Western World in a Few Centuries,” Rodney Stark demonstrates that when crises came to the cities of the Mediterranean world, the Christians stayed. In contrast to the non-Christians who fled the crisis, the Christians loved, suffered and died with their neighbors amid war, famine and disease. The faith grew because it did not go.

5. Middle Eastern Christians don’t want to leave

I have been to northern Iraq, Lebanon and Jordan four times in the last eight months, traveling throughout these countries, meeting every kind of Christian, in every condition. I have cried with them, listening to their yearning to return — to worship again in their village church and to tend to their fields. The overwhelming majority want desperately to stay and to return to their homes.

It would be nice to consider emigration as a realistic option. But it is not. I would suggest pundits spend that same time and money fighting for a clear and concrete objective, declaring and defending a safe haven on the Nineveh Plain for Christians, Muslims and Yazidis.

Yes, there are some high-risk situations that demand emigration. But, in general, Western Christians should think hard about how not to be an accomplice to ISIS. Instead, they should be seeking new ways to shrewdly and innocently empower Christians to remain and flourish in the cradle of Christianity.

Taron-Avia prepares to take-off in Armenian market

A start-up carrier hopes to establish a sustainable aviation business in Armenia. Taron-Avia, named after a canton of the Turuberan province of the historic Greater Armenia, aims to begin scheduled passenger flights to Russia this autumn, according to .

Although the carrier has almost ten years experience in the cargo business, this will be its first growth into scheduled passenger operations. It intends to launch operations from September 2015 using a small fleet of three Boeing 737-500s that have already been acquired and are currently undergoing pre-service maintenance in Jordan.

“We will be based in Yerevan,” confirmed the airline’s chief executive officer, Garnik Papikyan, in a recent interview. “From the Armenian capital, we mainly want to fly to Moscow, St. Petersburg, Nizhniy Novgorod, Rostov, Krasnodar, Adler/Sochi, Volgograd, Voronezh and others,” he told ATO news in the interview.

Sterligov reveals why he left Russia for Karabakh

Russian billionaire German Sterligov will return from Nagorno Karabakh to Moscow Thursday. As a proof he showed the air tickets to journalists at a press confidence in Shushi Monday, the Russian News Service reports.

The businessman revealed the cause of his departure from Russia. Sterligov said he had long been receiving threats. In June, when media reports suggested he could be interrogated on the case of the Combat Organization of Russian Nationalists (BORN). He once again denied any part in the activity of the organization.

Sterligov explained that the only man he knows from BORN is Ilya Goryachev. The leader of the organizations asked money to open a pro-Patriarch magazine, but the businessman refused.

Sterligov also told that he initially wanted to leave for Belarus, but decided to stay in Karabakh. He voiced his admiration for the hospitality and kindness of the people there.

Sterligov hopes to return to Karabakh after answering the questions of the law-enforcement bodies in order to establish a farm and a fashion house, according to Life News.

Warlick in Moscow for consultations on Karabakh

US Co-Chair of the OSCE Minsk Group James Warlick has arrived in Moscow for consultations on the Nagorno Karabakh conflict.

“I will arrive in Moscow today and look forward to consultations on the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict. We are working together for peace in Nagorno Karabakh,” Warlick said in a Twitter post Sunday.

Eurozone strikes deal on Greek debt

Eurozone leaders have agreed to offer Greece a third bailout, after marathon talks in Brussels, the BBC reports.

Amid one of the worst crises in the EU’s history, the head of the European Commission said the risk of Greece leaving the eurozone had been averted.

Greek Prime Minister Alexis Tsipras said that after a “tough battle”, Greece had secured a “growth package” and debt restructuring.

Greece will now have to pass reforms demanded by the eurozone by Wednesday.

An EU statement spoke of up to €86bn (£61bn) of financing for Greece over three years.

First Armenian Iranian film being shot in Artsakh

On 13 July Artsakh Republic President Bako Sahakyan received Anahit Abad, director of the first Armenian-Iranian joint documentary-feature film being made in Artsakh and production manager Roubina Ghazaryan.

The President highlighted this initiative from the viewpoint of preparing various valuable materials on Artsakh and introducing them to the general public, noting that it would have a positive contribution to the development of culture in our republic.
NKR minister of culture and youth affairs Narine Aghabalyan partook at the meeting.

Reps. Eshoo, Speier call for vote on Armenian Genocide Truth + Justice Resolution

Representatives Anna Eshoo (D-CA) and Jackie Speier (D-CA) – the two U.S. Representatives of Armenian heritage – have called for a vote on the Armenian Genocide Truth + Justice Resolution, a bipartisan genocide-prevention measure they describe as “a principled and practical approach to fostering improved relations between Turkey and Armenia,” reported the Armenian National Committee of America (ANCA).

In a letter to Rep. Ed Royce (R-CA), the Chairman of the Foreign Affairs Committee, and Rep. Eliot Engel, Ranking Member of this panel, Reps. Speier and Eshoo noted that they had recently traveled to Armenia as part of the U.S. Presidential Delegation for the April 24th Centennial. Stressing their unique role as “the only Members of the U.S. House of Representatives of Armenian heritage, descendants of survivors of the Armenian Genocide,” they called on the Committee leadership to hold a hearing and vote in the Foreign Affairs Committee on H.Res.154, the Armenian Genocide Truth and Justice Resolution before the August District work period.

H.Res.154, a bipartisan measure spearheaded by Congressional Armenian Caucus Co-Chairman Robert Dold (R-IL), Representatives Adam Schiff (D-CA) and David Valadao (R-CA), and Armenian Caucus Co-Chairman Frank Pallone (D-NJ), has over 60 cosponsors. It builds upon the substantial record of U.S. recognition of the Armenian Genocide by calling upon the President work toward improved Armenian-Turkish relations based upon the Republic of Turkey’s full acknowledgement of the facts and ongoing consequences of the Armenian Genocide, and a fair, just, and comprehensive international resolution of this crime.

Dear Chairman Royce and Ranking Member Engel,

Earlier this spring on Capitol Hill we came together as colleagues to honor the women and men who died during the Armenian Genocide carried out by the Ottoman Empire from 1915 to 1923. In April, several of us traveled to Armenia as part of an official presidential delegation to participate in the 100th anniversary memorial events. We were honored to be part of this historic delegation, but remain disappointed Congress has not to this date recognized the Armenian Genocide, which President Obama recently called “the first mass atrocity of the 20th century.”

As the only Members of the U.S. House of Representatives of Armenian heritage, descendants of survivors of the Armenian Genocide, we ask you to hold a hearing and vote in the Foreign Affairs Committee on H.Res.154, the Armenian Genocide Truth and Justice Resolution.

This bipartisan genocide-prevention measure represents a principled and practical approach to fostering improved relations between Turkey and Armenia, which remains a priority of U.S. foreign policy. The adoption of this resolution would send a clear and powerful signal to those committing atrocities against minorities today that the United States will never compromise our moral stand against genocide for reasons of political expediency.

The first subcommittee hearing on the Armenian Genocide was held by Rep. Chris Smith in 2000 and Chairman Howard Berman convened a hearing and vote in 2010. Former and current Members have at length during special order hours and other debates on the genocide. As of this year, twenty-eight countries and 43 states have recognized the genocide, including Canada, England, France, and Russia. During Sunday services in April, Pope Francis called the massacre of an estimated 1.5 million Armenians the “first genocide of the 20th century.” It is not the first time that the Pope has described the Armenian deaths as a genocide – Pope John Paul II did so in a written statement in 2001.

Chairman Royce and Ranking Member Engel, we respectfully ask you to bring the resolution to the Committee for a vote before the August District work period. We stand ready to meet with you to discuss the matter further and explore avenues for the timely adoption of this resolution.

‘Thank You, Pope Francis, for Commemorating the Armenian Genocide Centennial’

Peace of Art, Inc. is completing its Armenian Genocide Awareness Billboard Campaign, “100 Billboards for 100 Years of Genocide,” with one more billboard. Located on Route 1, at the junction with Route 27 in Sharon, this billboard displays a message of gratitude, and reads, “Thank You, Pope Francis, for Commemorating the Armenian Genocide Centennial,” the reports.

In April 2015, at St. Peter’s Basilica, Pope Francis called the Armenian Genocide “the first genocide of the 20th century.” The event was unprecedented because, for the first time in history, the Pope mentioned the Armenian Genocide in his liturgy. “Pope Francis called on all states’ leadership, international organizations, and world peace-loving communities, to recognize the truth and to oppose such offenses,” said Daniel Varoujan Hejinian, the founding president of Peace of Art, Inc. “Such a brave statement by the Pope, the head of the Catholic Church, definitely deserves high respect and appreciation.”

In January 2015, Peace of Art, Inc. launched the Armenian Genocide Awareness Billboard Campaign. Throughout the United States and Canada, Peace of Art, Inc. has displayed large electronic and stationary billboards dedicated to the Centennial of the Armenian Genocide, and in honor of the victims of all genocides of the last 100 years.