Tribute to the memory of Armenian Genocide victims

Yerevan Mayor Taron Margaryan together with Marseille’s Deputy Mayor Didier Parakyan, Armenia’s Consul General in Marseille Vardan Sirmakes and the leader of the 11th and 12th district of Marseille, Member of French Parliament Valerie Boyer visited the memorial complex dedicated to the victims of the Armenian Genocide situated in Bomon, the Armenian district of Marseille.

Valerie Boyer noted that the memorial situated in the Armenian district of Marseille is unique not only as an architectural construction but also has a historical significance for the local Armenian community and the whole population of Marseille.

A memorial stone has been placed nearby the memorial complex this year as a special tribute of the Armenian mothers and their heirs who had a hairbreadth escape from 1915 Genocide to the fallen Armenian women.

Yerevan Mayor talked to representatives of the Armenian community, who expressed gratitude to Taron Margaryan for the effective cooperation between Yerevan and Marseille and stressed that the bilateral cooperation is very important for the Armenians of Marseille.

Taron Margryan, in turn, assured that the high-level relations between the two cities would continue to strengthen.

Knesset Speaker expects coalition and opposition to come together to recognize the Armenian Genocide

Knesset Speaker Yuli Edelstein has said he expects the coalition and opposition to come together to recognize the Armenian genocide, which he hopes to have the Knesset do officially soon, the reports.

He denied that the Knesset recognition of the Armenian Genocide has anything to do with flexing muscles at Turkey, the perpetrators of the genocide and the main reason the government has not yet recognized it. The move is not coordinated with the government, Edelstein added, citing separation of powers.

“The Armenians are not our greatest friends. They never vote with us in the UN. I don’t expect anything in return; this is not a political decision,” he explained.

Eurozone strikes deal on Greek debt

Eurozone leaders have agreed to offer Greece a third bailout, after marathon talks in Brussels, the BBC reports.

Amid one of the worst crises in the EU’s history, the head of the European Commission said the risk of Greece leaving the eurozone had been averted.

Greek Prime Minister Alexis Tsipras said that after a “tough battle”, Greece had secured a “growth package” and debt restructuring.

Greece will now have to pass reforms demanded by the eurozone by Wednesday.

An EU statement spoke of up to €86bn (£61bn) of financing for Greece over three years.

First Armenian Iranian film being shot in Artsakh

On 13 July Artsakh Republic President Bako Sahakyan received Anahit Abad, director of the first Armenian-Iranian joint documentary-feature film being made in Artsakh and production manager Roubina Ghazaryan.

The President highlighted this initiative from the viewpoint of preparing various valuable materials on Artsakh and introducing them to the general public, noting that it would have a positive contribution to the development of culture in our republic.
NKR minister of culture and youth affairs Narine Aghabalyan partook at the meeting.

Matteo Darmian leaves Torino to join Manchester United

Italy defender Matteo Darmian has left Torino to join Manchester United on a four-year deal with the option of an additional 12 months, Goal.com reports.

The transfer sees the fullback end a four-year association with the Serie A club and follows United’s capture of midfielder Bastian Schweinsteiger from Bayern Munich earlier on Saturday.

Darmian, 25, told United’s official website: “It is a dream come true to be joining Manchester United. I have loved the time that I have spent at Torino and I would like to thank the club and the fans for everything they have done for me.

“I am sure they can understand when the opportunity to join the biggest club in world came along it was something I had to do. To work with Louis van Gaal, a manager that has achieved so much in football is such an exciting prospect.”

Van Gaal added: “Matteo is a right-sided fullback with the versatility of also being able to play on the left.

“He is a strong defender and has the ability to go forward in the attacking positions which is a fantastic attribute to have and much needed in the fast rhythm of the Premier League. Matteo will be a great addition to the team. I am delighted to welcome Matteo to the club and look forward to working with him in the coming days.”

Torino announced first that the deal had been completed, a club statement read: “Torino Football Club announces that it has sold to Manchester United, outright, the rights of the player Matteo Darmian.

“President Urbano Cairo would like to thank Matteo Darmian for the seriousness, commitment and professionalism he has demonstrated in the last few years. From President Cairo to the youngest of the youth teams, all of Torino hopes Matteo has the best satisfaction for this extraordinary experience.”

Darmian has 13 caps for Italy and played in all three of his country’s games at the 2014 FIFA World Cup.

Total number of Syrian refugees exceeds four million for first time

The number of refugees fleeing the conflict in Syria to neighbouring countries has now passed four million, confirming that crisis as the world’s single largest refugee crisis for almost a quarter of a century under UNHCR’s mandate.

New arrivals in Turkey and updated data from the Turkish authorities on refugees already in that country have taken the total number of Syrian refugees in neighbouring countries to more than 4,013,000 people.

Furthermore, at least an additional 7.6 million people are displaced inside Syria – many of them in difficult circumstances and in locations that are difficult to reach.

“This is the biggest refugee population from a single conflict in a generation. It is a population that needs the support of the world but is instead living in dire conditions and sinking deeper into poverty,” said UN High Commissioner for Refugees António Guterres.

Tragically, and with no end in sight to Syria’s war, now in its fifth year, the crisis is intensifying and the number of refugees are rising. The four million milestone comes barely 10 months since the total of three million was reached. At current rates, UNHCR expects the figure to reach around 4.27 million by the end of 2015.

“Worsening conditions are driving growing numbers towards Europe and further afield, but the overwhelming majority remain in the region,” Guterres added. “We cannot afford to let them and the communities hosting them slide further into desperation.”

Refugee outflows in June 2015 saw more than 24,000 people arriving in Turkey from Tel Abyad and other parts of northern Syria. Turkey is now home to around 45 per cent of all Syrian refugees in the region.

The figure of four million comprises 1,805,255 Syrian refugees in Turkey, 249,726 in Iraq, 629,128 in Jordan, 132,375 in Egypt, 1,172,753 in Lebanon, and 24,055 elsewhere in North Africa. Not included, are more than 270,000 asylum applications by Syrians in Europe, and thousands of others resettled from the region elsewhere.

Meanwhile, funding of the Syria refugee situation has become an equally pressing problem. For 2015 as a whole, UNHCR and partners appealed for US$5.5 billion. However, as of late June, only around a quarter of the humanitarian funds requested have been received. This means refugees face tough new cuts in food aid, and struggle to afford lifesaving health services or send their children to school.

Life for Syrians in exile is increasingly tough. Some 86 per cent of refugees outside camps in Jordan live below the poverty line of US$3.2 per day. In Lebanon, 55 per cent of refugees live in sub-standard shelters.

Throughout the region, hope of returning home is dwindling as the crisis drags on. Refugees become more impoverished, and negative coping practices such as child labour, begging and child marriages are on the rise. Competition for employment, land, housing water and energy in already vulnerable host communities is straining the ability of these communities to cope with the overwhelming numbers and sustain their support to them.

President Sargsyan meets guests, participants of Golden Apricot IFF

President Serzh Sargsyan met with the guests and participants of the Golden Apricot 12th International Film Festival.

The President welcomed their participation in the traditional annual Golden Apricot Film Festival, which helps present the best samples of world cinematography to the Armenian audience.

President Sargsyan also emphasized the fact that every year outstanding representatives of world cinematography, who arrive in Yerevan within the framework of the Festival, get to know about Armenia, the Armenian people, its centuries-long history and rich cultural heritage.

Serzh Sargsyan wished success to the Golden Apricot 12th International Film Festival.

Collapse of military barracks in Russian city of Omsk: 12 killed,19 injured

The death toll in the collapse of Russian Airborne Troops barracks in the Russian City of Omsk has reached 12 people, another 19 are in hospital, the Defense Ministry’s press service told RIA Novosti.

“As of 06:00 a.m. on July 13, 31 soldiers have been removed from the rubble, 12 of them were dead, 19 soldiers have been taken to hospitals,” — said spokesman of the Russian Defense Ministry Major-General Igor Konashenkov.

According to him, the entire staff of the training center has been tested.

Rescuers continue searching for 11 soldiers on the site, the press service reported.

“Eleven soldiers are still missing… The debris handling see rescue officers, the military garrison of Omsk, special engineering equipment and a group of dog handlers,” — added spokesman.