Singer Prince died of overdose

US singer Prince died from an accidental overdose of the painkiller fentanyl, medical examiners have found, the BBC reports.

The report, from Midwest Medical Examiner’s Office in Minnesota, comes more than a month after the singer was found slumped in a lift at his home.

Detectives have already questioned a doctor who saw the 57-year-old twice in the weeks before he died.

Prescription painkillers were in the singer’s possession following his death, officials told US media in May.

A police warrant has also revealed that Dr Michael Schulenberg prescribed medication to the singer on 20 April – the day before he died.

You may also like