The Sydney Armenian community has responded magnificently to an “Appeal to Help Armenians in Syria”, donating $50,000 during a week of fundraising between 22nd June and 28th June, 2015.
The Australian chapters of the Armenian Revolutionary Federation, the Armenian Relief Society, Homenetmen, Hamazkaine, the Armenian National Committee, the Armenian Youth Federation and Armenia Media Inc., joined forces to organise a series of fundraising activities in response to news of severe financial hardship coming from their counterparts in Syria.
These activities were:
- Radiothon on Armenia Radio 99.3FM on Monday 22nd June;
- Door Knock Appeal throughout Sydney’s suburbs, powered by members of the ARS, AYF and Hamazkaine, every night between Monday and Thursday;
- Online Credit Card Appeal, organised by the ANC;
- Appeal to Businesses for Donations;
- Sydney Benefit Concert for Syrian-Armenians, which was held at Galstaun College’s Nalbandian Hall on Sunday, 28th June.
Considering the Benefit Concert had a turnout of just over 120 people, the result of raising an additional $14,000 was amazing and commendable.
The Benefit Concert featured five of the Armenian-Australian community’s top singers, who had donated their services to help their brothers and sisters in Syria. Karnig & Hovik, Styop Avedissian, Raffi Adourian, Vartan Gulumian and Hagop Gulumian entertained the audience with their repertoire of Armenian dance and patriotic songs. The audience was on their feet with a Kochari tribute to Syrian-Armenians, when Karnig & Hovik raised the roof with the popular song, Ter Asdvadz.
The finale featured all singers on stage, singing “Hayer Miyatsek.”