KARABAKH ARMY PREPARED TO RESPOND TO AZERBAIJANI AGGRESSION – MINISTRY OF DEFENSE
STEPANAKERT, August 5. /ARKA/. The frontline divisions of Karabakh army
of defense are in control of the state border situation are prepared
to deliver a crippling blow in case of aggression by Azerbaijan, says
the statement by the ministry of defense of Nagorno Karabakh Republic
The ministry says in the period from August 4 to 5, Azerbaijan
violated the ceasefire agreement about 400 times on the line of
contact with NKR. Over 6,500 shots were fired at Karabakh positions
during the period.
Over the last days Azerbaijan has largely intensified its military
efforts along the line of contact with Nagorno-Karabakh Republic
(NKR). Over 25 Azerbaijani and five Karabakh servicemen were killed
in the latest raid operations and attempts by Azerbaijani troops to
attack Karabakh’s positions.
The Karabakh conflict started in 1988 when prevailingly Armenian
population of Nagorno-Karabakh declared withdrawal from Azerbaijan. On
December 10, 1991, a referendum was held in Nagorno-Karabakh where
99.89% voted for independence from Azerbaijan.
Azerbaijan responded by large-scale military operations that led
to loss of control not only over Nagorno-Karabakh itself, but also
over seven adjoining areas. About 25-30 thousands people were killed
and about a million had to leave their homes during the military
A trilateral cease-fire agreement was signed on May 12, 2004, and
has been followed since then.
The ongoing Karabakh peace process started in 1992 under auspices of
OSCE Minsk Group co-chaired by the USA, Russia and France. -0-
– See more at: