Eighty-six people accused of links with Ergenekon to stand trial in
Turkey Oct. 20
26.07.2008 16:53 GMT+04:00
/PanARMENIAN.Net/ Eighty-six people, accused of creating an armed
terrorist group to overthrow the government, will go on trial on
October 20. A Turkish court agreed on Friday to hear the controversial
Ergenekon case, accepting the 2455-page indictment.
The first hearing of the case will be held on October 20 at a prison
complex in Silivri town of Istanbul because of the large number of
The indictment said the investigation led the officials to a terrorist
organization named Ergenekon, which has not been the subject of any
criminal case previously and which has different objectives and
activities when compared to other terrorist organizations.
"It has been determined that the nearest goal of the organization is
to carry out activities that will cause governmental weakness in the
country and to create a chaotic atmosphere that will spoil the public
order, moreover, as a final goal, the organization aims to make people
approve an unlawful attempt to be carried out against the government
in such a chaotic atmosphere and to take over the government through
an unlawful intervention," the indictment said.
Prosecutors accuse so-called Ergenekon gang of at least two violent
acts initially blamed on Islamists – the 2006 bombing of a secularist
newspaper and an armed attack on a top court the same year in which a
senior judge was killed.
The group is also accused of planning to assassinate some prominent
Turks in the past few years, including the Prime Minister Tayyip
Erdogan, army chief Gen. Yasar Buyukanit, 2006 Nobel literature
laureate Orhan Pamuk, pro-government journalist Fehmi Koru and some
pro-Kurdish Democratic Society Party (DTP) officials.
The indictment added the gang is not linked to the Turkish armed
forces and National Intelligence Agency (MIT).
The long waited indictment was submitted only two weeks ago, although
the Ergenekon case started 13 months ago with the discovery of
grenades in a house in Istanbul’s Umraniye district.
The lack of the indictment in the operation, and the detainment of
anti-AKP politicians, journalists and intellectuals without any legal
charge raised eyebrows in Turkey, as many questioned whether the
operation is being used to suppress opponents of the ruling party.
Apart from the 86 already indicted, about 20 other people, including
two retired four-star generals, a popular journalist and a prominent
businessman, are awaiting charges, some of them in prison.
An additional indictment would be prepared for those detained in the
sixth wave of the operation in July 1, including Kemalist Thought
Association Chairman Retired Gen. Sener Eruygur, Retired Gen. Hursit
Tolon and Ankara Chamber of Commerce (ATO).
The film director Halis Yavuz Isiklar, who had been also taken into
custody in the same wave, was released late on Friday by the Istanbul
Turkish public is divided over the issue, even some question whether
such organization exists or it is just a cover to suppress the
The extent of the operation had widened since the closure case against
the AKP filed in March. Although the closure case and the Ergenekon
case are separate legal processes, Erdogan had linked the two cases
saying the closure case against the AKP was filed due to the
government’s determination in the Ergenekon case, Hurriyet reports.