Interfax News Agency, Armenia
July 19 2008
ARMENIA DENIES REPORT OF CLASH ON AZERI BORDER
Yerevan, 19 July: The Armenian Ministry of Defence dismisses
Azerbaijani media reports about the attempt of an Armenian sabotage
group to enter the territory of the neighbouring country.
"This information is yet another propagandistic step of Baku which
does not fit in any reasonable frames" the press secretary of the
Armenian Defence Ministry, Col Seyran Shahsuvaryan, told Interfax on
Saturday [19 July].
"Besides, dissemination of such misinformation puts under threat the
negotiation process on the peaceful resolution of the Nagornyy
Karabakh conflict," Shasuvaryan added.
The Azerbaijani television channel ANS had earlier said that a
sabotage group consisting of 14 people attempted to enter Azerbaijan’s
Tovuz District from Armenian on the night of 18-19 July. [Azerbaijani]
servicemen prevented this attempt, killing one of the members of the
group. The body of the dead [Armenian soldier] and his weapon remained
in the hands of Azerbaijani servicemen, ANS reported.