US, British forces carry out new strikes in Yemen

 10:58,

YEREVAN, JANUARY 23, ARMENPRESS. U.S. and British forces carried out a fresh round of strikes on Monday in Yemen, targeting a Houthi underground storage site as well as missile and surveillance capabilities used by the group against Red Sea shipping, Reuters reports. 

The Houthis, who control the most populous parts of Yemen, have said their attacks are in solidarity with Palestinians as Israel strikes Gaza. 

In the latest response, U.S. and British forces carried out strikes at eight different locations in Yemen, with support from Australia, Bahrain, Canada and the Netherlands, according to a joint statement signed by the six countries released by the Pentagon. 

“Today, the militaries of the United States and United Kingdom, at the direction of their respective governments with support from Australia, Bahrain, Canada, and the Netherlands, conducted an additional round of proportionate and necessary strikes against 8 Houthi targets in Yemen in response to the Houthis' continued attacks against international and commercial shipping as well as naval vessels transiting the Red Sea. These precision strikes are intended to disrupt and degrade the capabilities that the Houthis use to threaten global trade and the lives of innocent mariners, and are in response to a series of illegal, dangerous, and destabilizing Houthi actions since our coalition strikes on January 11, including anti-ship ballistic missile and unmanned aerial system attacks that struck two U.S.-owned merchant vessels,” the Pentagon said in a statement.

A senior U.S. military official, speaking to Reuters on condition of anonymity, said roughly 25 to 30 munitions were fired, including from warplanes launched from a U.S. aircraft carrier.

So far, eight rounds of strikes over the past month have failed to stop Houthi attacks against shipping.

U.S. officials say the strikes have degraded the Houthis' ability to carry out complex attacks. But they have declined to offer any specific figures as to the number of missiles, radar, drones or other military capabilities destroyed so far.

"We are having the intended effect," the U.S. military official told Pentagon reporters.

British Defence Minister Grant Shapps said in a statement that the latest strikes were carried out in self-defense.

U.S. President Joe Biden said last week that air strikes would continue even as he acknowledged they may not be halting the Houthi attacks.

U.S. reiterates support to Armenia-Azerbaijan peace process, readiness to host talks

 09:41,

YEREVAN, JANUARY 23, ARMENPRESS: The United States is interested in ‘getting across the finish line’ and ‘has the same appetite’ for hosting Armenian-Azeri talks in Washington, a State Department spokesperson has said.

“This is something that the United States and that the Secretary is interested in and this is something that we’re going to work very hard to get across the finish line in close coordination with Armenia and Azerbaijan and the others who are working on this issue, including [Senior Adviser for Caucasus Negotiations] Coordinator [Louis] Bono,” State Department Principal Deputy Spokesperson Vedant Patel said at a press briefing.

Patel declined to give updates on possible Armenian-Azeri foreign ministerial talks in Washington.  

In early December 2023 the U.S. invited Yerevan and Baku to hold talks in Washington. Armenia the offer but the meeting has yet to take place.

https://armenpress.am/eng/news/1128626.html?fbclid=IwAR0_WUk9A_x5t2rjbPLZ7j4ZiUYJ-vIVkDyas7jXVKVUOt8MCen7o_L2Myk

Armenian Defense Minister visits Kazakhstan

 09:28,

YEREVAN, JANUARY 23, ARMENPRESS. Minister of Defense of Armenia Suren Papikyan is leading a delegation to Kazakhstan on an official visit.

In a statement, the Ministry of Defense of Armenia said Papikyan’s trip is taking place at the invitation of his Kazakh counterpart.

Top brass visits active duty troops on southern border, lauds level of readiness

 10:06,

YEREVAN, JANUARY 23, ARMENPRESS. Armenia’s top military general visited last week troops stationed in posts on the southern border to inspect their daily routine and readiness, the Ministry of Defense said in a statement.

Lt Gen Edward Asryan, the Chief of the General Staff of the Armenian Armed Forces, traveled to the southern border on January 18-20. He met with the commanders and officers of the army corps and military bases.

Reviewing 2023 training programs, the Lt Gen praised the level of combat readiness of the troops. He pointed out the existing problems and issued instructions about further actions.

Armenia considers NATO standards in new military uniform

 14:02,

YEREVAN, JANUARY 23, ARMENPRESS. Armenian authorities consider introducing new, NATO-standard uniforms in the military.

In comments for Sputnik Armenia, the Ministry of Defense said it has studied ‘uniforms of NATO member countries, including the USA, France, Greece and the Czech Republic’ for the initiative.

“In the selection procedure for the new uniforms, the Ministry of Defense of the Republic of Armenia is guided by studies carried out through the exchange of international experience and in accordance with NATO standards. Samples of the uniforms of NATO member countries, including the US, France, Greece and the Czech Republic have been studied,” the Ministry of Defense told Sputnik Armenia in written comments.

Furthermore, the Armenian Ministry of Defense also seeks to ban the sale of standard-issue military uniforms.

ANC cautions Canada against lifting arms embargo on Turkey

 14:12,

YEREVAN, JANUARY 23, ARMENPRESS. The Armenian National Committee of Canada has urged the Canadian government to maintain the arms embargo on Turkey amid reports suggesting that Ottawa is considering lifting the restrictions.

“The Armenian National Committee of Canada expresses deep concern over recent reports suggesting that Canada may lift its arms embargo on Turkey as part of a larger deal to appease the Turkish regime in exchange for approval of Sweden's accession to NATO,” the Armenian National Committee of Canada said in a statement.

“This potential move is particularly troubling in light of Canada's recent history with arms exports to Turkey.

“Despite Global Affairs Canada imposing a moratorium on arms sales to Turkey in October 2019, Canada allowed the export of L3Harris/WESCAM drone technology to Ankara in the spring of 2020. Disturbingly, substantial evidence confirmed Turkey's illegal diversion of this equipment to Azerbaijan after Azerbaijan invaded the Republic of Artsakh in September 2020, which later resulted in Canada cancelling the relevant permits. This diversion, in violation of Turkey's contractual obligations with Canada, resulted in the illegal use of Canadian-made WESCAM drone avionics by Azerbaijan against civilians in Artsakh.

“Canada must not be complicit in Turkish-Azerbaijani war crimes by contributing to the expansion of their military arsenals. The sale of such weaponry to rogue states violates Canada's arms export regulations, posing a significant risk to domestic and regional stability. In line with Canada's stated priorities of preserving regional peace and security and protecting human rights, Ottawa must go beyond cancellations and implement a comprehensive ban on arms sales to Ankara, rather than lifting them.

“Moreover, Turkey has demonstrated a lack of trustworthiness in honouring contractual agreements with Canada, as evidenced by the illegal diversion of weapons to conflict zones. Canada cannot risk repeating such violations, especially as Azerbaijan – backed by Turkey – continues to threaten Armenia's sovereignty and territorial integrity. Therefore, we urge the Canadian government to exercise utmost caution and prioritize regional stability, peace, and human rights by refraining from lifting the arms embargo on Turkey and instead enforcing a comprehensive ban on arms sales to Ankara and Baku.

“The Armenian National Committee of Canada remains committed to advocating for policies that align with Canada's principles of promoting global peace, security, and human rights,” the organization added.

Armenia strongly condemns exploitation of food security for political goals, economy minister says at GFFA

 15:26,

YEREVAN, JANUARY 23, ARMENPRESS. Armenia strongly condemns exploitation of food security for political purposes, Economy Minister Vahan Kerobyan said at the Global Forum for Food and Agriculture (GFFA) in Berlin, where he participated with his deputy Arman Khojoyan.

“We are deeply concerned about the growing food security crisis in Europe and the Middle East and we strongly condemn the exploitation of food security as a method of achieving political goals. I believe that only together we can create a better future, by initiating changes that would accelerate economic growth and have deep impact on social welfare both nationally and globally,” Kerobyan said, according to a press release issued by the Economy Ministry.

Kerobyan also held meetings with agriculture ministers of Italy, Brazil and Botswana.

The 61 participating nations adopted a during the ministerial meeting.

https://armenpress.am/eng/news/1128669.html?fbclid=IwAR1QAC0P5BtwEpaeKKQ-ti51qGHq0_AQyRc44KvPGfQ1Adr4ek-clEmwWoU

Armenia, Kazakhstan Ministries of Defense sign cooperation plan for 2024

 17:52,

YEREVAN, JANUARY 23, ARMENPRESS. As part of the official visit to Kazakhstan, a welcoming ceremony of Armenian Defense Minister Suren Papikyan was held Tuesday at the Ministry of Defense of Kazakhstan, Minister of Defense of the Republic of Armenia Suren Papikyan said on social media.

It is noted that after the ceremony, the meeting with the Minister of Defense of Kazakhstan, Ruslan Zhaksylykov commenced with an expanded composition. Discussions during the meeting centered on security and various mutual interests concerning Armenian-Kazakh defense cooperation.

At the end of the meeting, the defense cooperation plan for 2024 was signed between the Ministries of Defense of the Republic of Armenia and the Republic of Kazakhstan, which includes a range of activities both in Armenia and Kazakhstan.




Armenia engaged in constructive talks with Azerbaijan but sees ‘setbacks’, says FM

 16:04,

YEREVAN, JANUARY 23, ARMENPRESS. Armenia has been constructively involved in negotiations with Azerbaijan, nevertheless Yerevan has been observing some setbacks in regard to demarcation maps.

Foreign Minister Ararat Mirzoyan on Tuesday highlighted the importance of the peace process, the signing of the peace treaty, launching the demarcation process, as well as unblocking and transport and economic infrastructure in the region.

Furthermore, FM Ararat Mirzoyan emphasized there are several key principles for Armenia.

“First of all, Armenia and Azerbaijan should recognize each other’s territorial integrity without ambiguities and without any wording that could leave room to misinterpretations,” FM Mirzoyan said at a press briefing.

“Next, the border between the two countries should be demarcated on the basis of official maps drawn up by the authorities of the Soviet Union within the framework of their powers, with solid legal foundation. You know that we have always talked about the maps of 1974-1978 as the most recent maps reflecting the principles I mentioned.

“It is interesting that there was a proposal to use the maps from 1974-1990, this proposal was made by the Azerbaijani side itself. After a certain study, we assumed that this wording could be applicable, but going ahead, let me mention that for example, one could assume that certain setbacks have taken place in the Azerbaijani proposal itself [judging by] the Azeri president’s latest interview.

“Maximum clarity and legal invulnerability in the border demarcation process are key for Armenia,” the FM said.

Armenia may provide new information on minefield maps to Azerbaijan

 16:22,

YEREVAN, JANUARY 23, ARMENPRESS. Armenia may provide new minefield maps to Azerbaijan if such information is gathered and trust is strengthened, Foreign Minister Ararat Mirzoyan has said.

“Armenia wants to continue confidence building measures,” he said, noting that Armenia twice gave minefield maps to Azerbaijan in the past.

“We conveyed to Azerbaijan minefield maps twice, but then, strangely, the Azerbaijani side complained that the maps are ineffective and inaccurate. It is noteworthy that the mine laying in those areas started in the nineties by Azerbaijan itself, but, anyway, we managed to summarize and convey to Azerbaijan the information that was available to us,” Mirzoyan said.

He said that now Armenian authorities are trying to restore, using inquiries among other measures, any information about possible locations of mines.

“In case of constructive approach and steps for strengthening trust from both sides, and if we truly succeed to restore reliable information, I don’t rule out that we will once again convey it to Azerbaijan,” the Armenian Foreign Minister said. He added that this time the process should be carried out through international partners, in order for them to validate that Armenia is conveying reliable information.