Syrian Army takes control of huge area in Aleppo Province

Photo by George Ourfalian, AFP

 

With the support of Russian airstrikes, the Syrian Army has taken control of approximately 250 square kilometers in Aleppo province, reports.

“Operation Army ATS continues in the south-eastern province of Aleppo,” said Latakia representative of the Syrian Army, Brigadier General Ali Mayhoub, according to RIA Novosti. “In cooperation with civil defense groups we control more than 250 square kilometers, and returned stability in dozens of villages and towns in the region.”

“The army in collaboration with the civil defense forces managed to open the way to Aleppo…to ensure the safe passage of this important route,” Mayhoub added.

The general also said that terrorists sustained a large number of casualties and loss of equipment.

“The survivors fled toward Raqqa,” Mayhoub said, referring to the self-proclaimed capital of the Islamic State terrorist group.

“Also, our army has strengthened control over the strategic height of Mraga and working to expand its control of the area. In addition, the air force is delivering pinpoint strikes against concentrates of IS and al-Nusra terrorist groups in the vicinity of the airport and near Kueres military air school in the village of Umm Arkile,” Mayhoub said.

Also on Thursday, Syrian government forces gained a key hill in a northern suburb of the capital of Damascus. The Syrian Army has captured al-Mashtal Heights, as well as a number of buildings in the suburb of Harast.

“Many terrorists have been killed and their weaponry and fortifications destroyed,” Mayhoub said.

A large number of foreign fighters have also been killed in Damascus’ southwestern suburb of Darayya.

The Syrian Army is now making a “serious advance” toward the ancient city of Palmyra.

“Our armed forces have taken control over two heights in the Homs Province. We have also made serious advance toward the city of Pal myra near al-Barayat,” Mayhoub added. “Islamic State terrirst sustained heavy losses. Six vehicles and over 25 terrorists have been killed in the western outskirts of the Mheen village.”

Russia suspends flights to Egypt until causes of A321 crash are clear

Flights to Egypt have been suspended at the instruction of Russian President Vladimir Putin until proper security level is ensured, Putin’s presssecretary Dmitry Peskov told journalists on Friday, TASS reports.

“I would like to explain the following: [Russia’s Federal Security Service chief] Alexander Bortnikov referred to Putin recommendations of the National Anti-terrorist Committee to suspend air service with Egypt and the president agreed with these recommendations,” Peskov said. “The government has been instructed to elaborate a mechanism of transporting Russian citizens back home.”

“I would like to draw your attention to the fact that the president meant air service with Egypt is to be suspended until a due level of air service security is ensured,” he stressed. “We will work with the Egyptians to ensure due level of security taking into account all the risks.”

When asked how long it might take to solve this task, the Kremlin spokesman said, “We hope for close cooperation” with Egypt.

He stressed that this decision did not mean that terrorist attack was the main theory of the Russian plane crash on the Sinai peninsula. “Undoubtedly, none of the versions can be still dominating as there are no clear indications in its favor,” Peskov said.

Peskov also said he would not comment on whether Russia would tight security for flights to other Arab states after the Russian plane crash in Egypt. “I have nothing to tell you so far,” he said in reply to the question.

 

Israel’s President reiterates Armenian Genocide recognition

Asbarez – The President of Israel Reuven Rivlin said that his previously voiced position that the events of 1915 were Genocide of the Armenians remains unchanged.

Rivlin told the participants of an international conference, entitled Genocide: History and Memory – Marking 100 years of the Armenian Genocide, whom he met in his residence on the last day of the conference on Wednesday.

The meeting was not open to the press but Panorama.am interviewed the conference participants who attended the meeting. They all said that the President reiterated his previous position and that he is a supporter of the Armenian cause; however for some reason he has to refrain from making an official statement about it.

The fact that the President invited the participants of the conference that was on the Armenian Genocide, itself speaks about his support for this cause and this fact was highly praised by everyone – the organizers, the president of the Open University of Israel and the participants.

One of the participants of the conference, Dr. Israel Charny, said that Rivilin, indeed, did refer to the events of 1915 as Genocide adding that the Israeli leader had other political considerations. Charny said he did not agree with that position but found it positive that Rivlin has continued his support for Genocide recognition.

Israel officially continues not to recognize the Armenian Genocide and remains in the camp of the deniers for one political reason or the other. Many of the Jewish participants called this stance a “shame”. It can only be hoped that this conference, being the first of its kind on this topic was a step forward.

All organizations should consult with Minsk Group Co-Chairs before issuing reports on Karabakh: Warlick

International organizations should consult with OSCE Minsk Group Co-Chairs before issuing reports on Nagorno Karabakh, US Co-Chair of the OSCE Minsk Group James Warlick has said.

“The Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe and other international organizations should consult with the OSCE Minsk Group Co-Chairs before issuing reports or resolutions on Nagorno Karabakh,” Warlick said in a Twitter post.

Remind that with a vote of 24 to 16, the Committee on Political Affairs and Democracy of the Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe (PACE), approved an anti-Armenian report entitled “Escalation of Violence in Nagorno-Karabakh and Other Occupied Territories of Azerbaijan” by Robert Walter (United Kingdom, EC), a rapporteur of the PACE Political Affairs Committee.

Kickstarter campaign launched to raise funds for Armenian Genocide film – Video

The Armenian National Committee of Australia (ANC Australia) has partnered with Sydney-based filmmaker, Shahane Bekarian to produce the first Australian-made documentary on the Armenian Genocide. Today, ANC Australia launched a crowdfunding campaign with Kickstarter to help raise funds for this project.

The film, titled “Children of the Genocide,” is drawing on archival footage of interviews with Australia-based survivors of the Armenian Genocide, who are now no longer alive. It also features interviews with their descendants, currently living in Australia.

They have set up a Kickstarter campaign where one can easily pledge to donate. Click here to see and donate.

“This is the first such film produced in our community, and through this grassroots fundraising campaign on Kickstarter, members of our community can be part of this historic project,” said ANC Australia Community Relations Director, Stephen Abolakian.

“Children of the Genocide”  is described as “an examination of the sentiment of Armenians in Australia 100 years after the genocide which saw them flee their motherland after World War One. The issue to be explored relates to the surviving Armenians who found refuge in Australia. Although they fled to survive, we explore wether relocation is enough to settle the attempt of genocide and the upheaval from their homeland. After their families were brutally killed and their livelihood destroyed, was surviving enough? What basic human needs remained unsettled? Perhaps the success in maintaining their hereditary can only be measured by the strength of their new roots in Australia, the stability of life they have laid out for their kids and the separation they have made from racial intolerance. Is Australia the place? Have they gone down the path of cultural assimilation or integration in Australian society?”

ANC Australia is seeking to raise $20,000 to help fund the production of this film, which is set for a release in 2015, on the Centenary year of the Armenian Genocide.

20 IS suspects detained in Antalya ahead of G-20 summit

DHA Photo

 

Turkish police have arrested 20 people suspected of links to the Islamic State group in Antalya a week before the city hosts a G20 summit, the BBC reports.

US President Barack Obama will be among the world leaders arriving in city on Turkey’s southern coast for the summit on 15-16 November.

Two of the suspects arrested on Friday are said to be Russian.

Turkey has stepped up operations against IS militants following a string of deadly bombings.

Anti-terror police carried out simultaneous raids in three districts of Antalya early on Friday, local media said.

Officers reportedly seized “digital materials” during the operation.

Two assists & a goal: Mkhitaryan stars as Borussia smash Azerbaijan’s Qabala – Video

Armenian international Henrikh Mkhitaryan set up goals for Marco Reus and Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang as the Azerbaijan outfit proved no match for Thomas Tuchel side, acording to Goal.com.

Henrikh Mkhitaryan starred as Borussia Dortmund routed Qabala 4-0 in the Europa League, with the hosts dispatching their visitors with ease to consolidate Group C leadership.

The 26-year-old set up Marco Reus to open the scoring in the 28th minute, the winger collecting a passbefore unleashing a long-range effort that found the back of the net.

Mkhitaryan then assisted BVB’s second when he sent Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang through on goal, allowing the club top-scorer to finish with ease.

The contest was as good as over when Sergey Zenjov put the ball past his own goalkeeper, before Mkhitaryan deservedly got his name on the scoresheet when he crashed his drive in off the underside of the crossbar three minutes later.

Armenia calls UNESCO attention to the destruction of its historic monuments by Azerbaijan

“In an era when the protection and promotion of human rights are considered to be the underpinning concept for the civilized world, intolerance towards the values of civilization belonging to others, intentionally damaging or destroying cultural or religious heritage, must be condemned with the same resolve and determination as violence against people. The international community should act in a resolute and timely manner to protect what is still possible to preserve,” Armenian Foreign Minister Edward Nalbandian said as he addressed the 38th session of UNESCO General Conference.

“Armenia has continuously drawn the attention of this high body to the appalling situation of the Armenian cultural heritage in neighboring Azerbaijan. In Nakhijevan region alone thousands of medieval cross-stones, hundreds of Armenian churches, monasteries and other sacred sites have been completely destroyed by Azerbaijan in an attempt to erase all traces of the people who have inhabited the region for centuries and who gave the name to it – “Nakhijevan”, which in Armenian literally means “the first place of descent”, a reference to the descent of Biblical Noah. In its recently published report for 2015 the US Commission on International Religious Freedom has made a reference to the vandalized Armenian cemetery in Nakhijevan and reported that the religious freedom in Azerbaijan has further deteriorated, including by bringing examples of Baku’s only remaining Armenian church which is currently used as an archive for the Presidential administration and the confiscated Lutheran Church turned into a concert hall. If we – UNESCO and other international organizations, do not act today what would be the future of those and many other endangered monuments tomorrow?” Minister Nalbandian said.

“In a sharp contrast to this, neighboring Iran has made great efforts to preserve and protect the Armenian cultural heritage. The Armenian Monastic Ensembles of Iran, the oldest of which dates back to the 7th century, were inscribed on the World Heritage List by the Iranian Government. On our part, Armenia reconstructed the Iranian 18th century Blue Mosque in Yerevan, and is going to inscribe it on the World Heritage List,” the Foreign Minister added.

“Armenia tries to make its own contribution to the efforts aimed at preservation of the world’s cultural heritage, including through constructive engagement in the relevant bodies of UNESCO. In 2013 Armenia became a member of the Intergovernmental Committee for the Protection of Cultural Heritage in the Event of Armed Conflict. A year later we were elected a Vice-chair of the Committee’s Bureau. This year we have joined the Subsidiary Committee to the Convention on the Means of Prohibiting and Preventing the Illicit Import, Export and Transfer of Ownership of cultural property,” Minister Nalbandian added.

“The Universal Declaration of Human Rights and the UNESCO Convention against Discrimination in Education stipulate that education shall promote understanding, tolerance and friendship among all nations, racial or religious groups. Taking into consideration UNESCO’s unique role in the sphere of education, we call upon the Organization to create within its educational programs an overview mechanism that will examine and evaluate the textbooks of the member-states, especially in history and social sciences, with a special emphasis on exclusion of intolerance and xenophobia. Azerbaijan attempts to distort and alter the centuries old Armenian heritage, culture and history. In this country the rewriting of its own history is continued by means of misappropriation or annihilation of the traces of other cultures on their territory, or even more, by privatizing the cultural heritage of the neighboring nations. A country that appeared on the political map of the world less than a hundred years ago has cultural claims towards a country and a people the several millenniums’ history of which is recorded from the ancient times,” the Armenian FM added.

“As a member of the UNESCO family we have committed to developing more inclusive education system, proscribe any form of discrimination, promote equal opportunities for all in education. In this regard I would like to highlight the importance of not leaving anyone outside of the educational programs and projects of UNESCO, including those living in the territories the political status of which is not determined pending the settlement within negotiation processes. UNESCO has to ensure the inclusiveness of its own endeavors without distinction to political, economic, social or other considerations,” he said.

“70 years ago a shared objective of creating a better world for the generations to come formed the basis of this Organization. As long as its priorities and goals continue to be relevant the fulfillment of those aspirations will continue to require synergy of actions and full adherence to the UNESCO’s values and principles. Any attempts to drag the Organization into a propagandistic discourse with the aim of promoting one’s own political agenda at the expense or in contradiction of those values should be resolutely and timely proscribed.

Armenia is strongly committed to the ideals and goals of UNESCO and will continue expanding its involvement in the UNESCO initiatives and programs,” Minister Nalbandian concluded.

Russian Foreign Minister due in Armenia Monday

Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov will arrive in Armenia for a working visit on Novemver 9 at the invitation of Armenian Foreign Minister Edward Nalbandian.

Within the framework of the visit Sergey Lavrov will have meetings with President Serzh Sargsyan and Foreign Minister Edward Nalbandian.

The negotiations of the Foreign Ministers will be followed by a joint press conference.

Azerbaijani provocations aim at undermining the negotiation process: Armenian FM

Baku escalates the situation during each visit of the Co-chairs to the region, Armenian Foreign Minister has said, as he commented on the ceasefire violation by Azerbaijan at the time the OSCE Minsk Group Co-Chairs were crossing the line of contact.

“That incident took place days after the Co-chairs directly called upon Azerbaijan to agree to the creation of the mechanism of investigation of cease-fire violations. Baku escalates the situation during each visit of the Co-chairs to the region,” Minister Nalbandian said in comments to Radio Liberty.

“The Azerbaijani provocations aim at undermining the negotiation process, and questioning the necessity of the mediation efforts. It is noteworthy that in their statement made as a follow-up to the regional visit the Minsk Group Co-chairs labeled the incident as an attempt to undermine the peace efforts. It is not a coincidence that just on the next day of the provocation the President of Azerbaijan came up with new threats and criticized the Co-chairs,” the Foreign Minister said.

Edward Nalbandian reminded that “Chairman Ed Royce and Ranking Democrat Eliot Engel of the U.S. House of Representatives Foreign Affairs Committee joined by 83 Congressmen addressed an open letter to the U.S. Co-chairman of the Minsk Group. The Congressmen rightly pointed out that artificial evenhandedness of generic calls to refrain from the use of force made to all parties to the conflict after each violation of the cease-fire regime cannot reduce the tensions. On the contrary up to now they have contributed to the dangerous escalation of the situation.”

“We hope that the US Co-chairman will not only follow the just appeals of the US Congressmen but also together with other Co-chairmen of the Minsk Group will take efforts to fulfill their own proposal on the establishment of the mechanism for investigation of the cease-fire violations, which will make it meaningless to make unaddressed calls,” he said.

“Baku continuously rejects the proposal of the Co-chairmen on the creation of the mechanism of investigation of the cease-fire violations, thus bearing full responsibility for the consequences of ceasefire violations,” Minister Nalbandian concluded.