Egyptian pyramid honors victims of attacks in Paris, Beirut and Sinai plane crash

Photo by AP    

Egyptian authorities on Sunday projected the flags of France, Russia and Lebanon onto an ancient pyramid on the outskirts of Cairo in the wake of coordinated terrorist attacks in Paris on Friday night, The Mosocw Times reports.

The images were projected onto the Great Pyramid of Giza, the most ancient of the Seven Wonders of the World at more than 4,500 years old. A candlelight vigil was held at the foot of the pyramid in solidarity with the victims of the recent tragedies in the three countries.

Paris was targeted on Friday by coordinated suicide bombings and shootings in a wave of violence claimed by the Islamic State terrorist group. At least 130 people were killed in the attacks and hundreds more were injured.

A day earlier, twin suicide bombings in Lebanon’s capital Beirut killed 43 people in a Shiite neighborhood.

The attacks followed the crash of an Airbus A321 over Egypt’s Sinai peninsula late last month, in which all 224 people on board, mostly Russian citizens, were killed.

Western leaders have said the plane crash was likely caused by a bomb aboard the aircraft, but Russian authorities have said it is too early to draw any definitive conclusions.

Paris attacks planned from Syria: France PM Valls

Friday’s attacks by Islamist militants in Paris were planned and organised from Syria, French Prime Minister Manuel Valls has said, the BBC reports.

He added that the authorities believed new terror attacks were being planned in France and other European countries.

Mr Valls also said 150 raids on suspected militants had been carried out across France early on Monday.

A total of 129 people died in the attacks on bars and restaurants, a concert hall and the Stade de France.

France is to hold a nationwide minute of silence at midday local time (11:00 GMT) out of respect for the victims.

A huge manhunt is under way for surviving members and accomplices of the Islamist group that carried out the attack.

Police have named Brussels-born Salah Abdeslam, 26, as a key suspect. He was reportedly stopped by officers in the wake of the attacks – but then let go.

Meanwhile, French aircraft have attacked Raqqa, the stronghold in Syria of the Islamic State group, which has said it carried out the attacks.

Las Vegas monument pays tribute to Armenian genocide victims – Photos

Growing up in Cairo, Las Vegas resident Mary Rose Simon was raised by her grandmother, a survivor of the Armenian genocide.

“She instilled in me the Armenian values,” said Simon, one of 12,000 Armenians who live in Clark County. “And she had no grudges at all.”

A monument was unveiled Saturday at Sunset Park to commemorate the about 1.5 million Armenians who were exterminated by the Ottoman Turks from 1915 to 1923.

“When you grow up with a lady who had wounds and you heard about how they happened, it didn’t set in until just now looking at this monument,” she said. “This is a gift to the community and we’re putting Clark County on the map.”

The monument is a replica of the one that was dedicated in 1965 in Yerevan, Armenia, a small nation and former Soviet republic just east of Turkey. It’s made out of precast concrete and has 12 pillars, which represent the 12 provinces where Armenians were massacred, as well as a bench and dedication plaque on an adjacent boulder.

Members of the Armenian-American Cultural Society of Las Vegas and Adroushan Andy Armenian, honorary consul of the Republic of Armenia in Las Vegas, first approached Clark County Commissioner Marybeth Scow nearly 10 years ago with the idea for the monument.

Scow said she decided to put a policy in place before taking action to construct the monument in her district.

“I wanted to make sure we were doing this in a fair way so having a policy in place would help judge what rises to the level of doing something like this,” she said. “The purpose was to establish criteria for guidelines and consideration.”

Scow added that she ensured the monument, which is at the eastern part of the park along Sunset Road, was in a location that wouldn’t interfere with the recreation purpose of the park as well as that the Armenian organization would be responsible for upkeep and repairs.

“By having it in Sunset Park, a lot of people can see it and it will be a great tool for our community to remember what happened,” she said. “I’m really looking forward to having and appreciating it.”

The more than 200 attendees also had a moment of silence at the monument unveiling to pay tribute to the least 120 people who were killed by terrorists in Paris on Friday.

Friday’s attack also served as a reminder of why remembering senseless crimes is important, Simon said.

“The timing couldn’t have been better,” she said. “Terrorism is happening everywhere and while they’re working hard to destroy humanity, we’re here counteracting what they’re doing.”

John Dolmayan, a Las Vegas resident and drummer of the Armenian-American rock band, System of a Down, said the Paris attacks hit close to home.

“My friends the Deftones were supposed to play a show tonight at the venue where the attacks happened,” he said of Le Bataclan concert hall. “It was just a bunch of kids going to a rock show, what have they done?”

Dolmayan attended the monument unveiling to pay tribute to his heritage, which he said is the most important thing.

“Something like this is for Armenians and non-Armenians to enjoy because it will help people remember about the atrocities that were committed,” he said of the monument. “It will also help prevent it from happening again.”

Like Dolmayan, Gerard Costantian, an Armenian and Las Vegas resident, hopes the monument serves as an educational tool for years to come.

“I hope people walk through, see it and learn something about this event,” he said. “I’m hoping it will bring awareness to one of the most significant events in history.”

French warplanes strike Islamic State Syria bastion

French fighter jets launched their biggest raids in Syria to date targeting the Islamic State’s stronghold in Raqqa just two days after the group claimed coordinated attacks in Paris that killed more than 130 people, the defense ministry said, Reuters reports.

“The raid … including 10 fighter jets, was launched simultaneously from the United Arab Emirates and Jordan. Twenty bombs were dropped,” the statement said, adding that the mission had taken place this evening.

The operation, carried out in coordination with U.S. forces, struck a command center, recruitment center for jihadists, a munitions depot and a training camp for fighters, it said.
Read more at Reutershttp://www.reuters.com/article/2015/11/15/us-france-shooting-airstrikes-idUSKCN0T416F20151115#kyWt4ggzd8jFkPVT.99

Islamic State claims responsibility for Paris attacks that killed 127

Photo by AFP

 

The Islamic State group on Saturday claimed responsibility for a wave of attacks in Paris that killed 127 people and said France would remain at the “top of the list” of its targets, the Associated Press ssreports.

An online statement said eight militants armed with explosive belts and automatic weapons attacked carefully chosen targets in the “capital of adultery and vice,” including a soccer stadium where France was playing Germany, and the Bataclan concert hall, where an American rock band was playing, and “hundreds of apostates were attending an adulterous party.”

The statement said France and its supporters “will remain at the top of the list of targets of the Islamic State.”

“The stench of death will not leave their noses as long as they remain at the forefront of the Crusaders’ campaign, dare to curse our prophet, boast of a war on Islam in France, and strike Muslims in the lands of the caliphate with warplanes that were of no use to them in the streets and rotten alleys of Paris,” it said.

The claim was made in statements in Arabic and French released online and circulated by supporters of the group. Supporters also circulated an audio version read by an unidentified speaker whose voice strongly resembled that of an announcer for the IS radio station Al-Bayan. It was not immediately possible to confirm the authenticity of the statements, but they bore the extremists’ logo and resembled previous IS statements.

The statements did not provide the nationalities or other information about the attackers.

French President and vowed to strike back.

No information yet about Armenians in Paris: MFA

The Armenian Ministry of Foreign Affairs has said it possesses no information on whether there were Armenian citizens or ethnic Armenians among those killed or injured in Paris attacks.

The series of attacks which claimed the lives of at least 127 on Friday became the worst terrorist incident in French history.

Armenian President and Foreign Minister earlier issued statements, offering condolences to the friendly people of France.

 

Assad condemns France attacks, compares Paris terror to plight of Syria

Photo by AFP    

Syrian President Bashar al Assad condemned Friday’s attacks in Paris and said that such acts of terror were similar to what his people had faced in years of violent civil war, Reuters reports.

“What France suffered from savage terror is what the Syrian people have been enduring for over five years,” the Syrian President was quoted as saying on state media and Lebanese TV station al Mayadeen.

Francois Hollande: Paris attacks were ‘act of war by IS’

The near-simultaneous attacks in Paris that killed at least 127 people and wounded more than 180 were an “act of war” carried out by Islamic State, says France’s President Francois Hollande, the BBC reports.

He said the attacks, carried out by eight gunmen and suicide bombers, were “organised and planned from outside”.

Busy bars and restaurants, a music concert and a high-profile football match were all targeted.

Mr Hollande has declared three days of national mourning.

Our prayers, hearts and souls are with the French people: Armenian President

An event was held today at the Mount Musa Memorial in Armavir Marz on the occasion of the 100th Anniversary of the Mount Musa Heroic Battle. During the event, President Serzh Sargsyan delivered a speech in which he touched upon the Paris attacks.

“Your Holiness,
Your Eminencies,
Honorable guests,
Dear compatriots,

Today we are here to celebrate the 100th jubilee of the Mount Musa self-defense. It was one of the heroic episodes of the 1915 Armenian Genocide to which our French brothers made an invaluable contribution. Hundred years has passed but our sense of gratitude has not weakened even a bit.

Dear compatriots,

Unfortunately, by the irony of fate we witnessed last night terrorist attacks, unprecedented terrorist acts by their scale, committed at the heart of France – Paris. All of us are deeply shocked by it.

I strongly condemn those terrific and ghastly actions which claimed multiple innocent lives.

In recent years, the growth of this kind of inhuman violence in different countries of the world gives rise to serious concerns. I am confident that each member of the civilized community will join the struggle against this evil facing of us. We must not allow violence, extremism and intolerance to prevail. We are obliged to make concerted efforts at revealing and eradicating all those factors which cause such horrible manifestations of extremism.

In this difficult time, Armenia stands beside the brotherly country of France and is ready to provide full support.

I express my deepest sympathy to French President Francois Hollande, the friendly people of France and to the victims’ relatives, wishing patience, strength and vigor to them and a speedy recovery to the injured.

Our prayers, hearts and souls are with the French people.”