Armenian community in Canada rallies for Syrian refugees – Video

As Syrians begin arriving in Canada as part of the government’s plan to resettle 25,000 refugees, the Armenian community in Toronto is rallying to help by sponsoring hundreds of families fleeing the war-torn Middle Eastern country,  reports.

Arsho Zakarian is an Armenian-Canadian woman who lives in Toronto. She has volunteered to sponsor a Syrian refugee family, and is eagerly awaiting their arrival on Canadian soil.

The Manougian family, who she is sponsoring, consists of a grandmother, her son, daughter-in-law and their infant son.

Inspired by her own family’s history of resettlement, Zakarian told CTV’s Canada AM on Thursday that she decided around this time last year that she wanted to sponsor a family. Her father and grandfather came to Canada to flee the Armenian Genocide. She says she can relate to the Syrian refugees’ experience of fear, hunger and being destitute.

“It is a very Canadian tradition,” Zakarian said of providing aid to refugees. “The first international humanitarian act by Canada was towards the Armenian orphans.”

Zakarian didn’t know her sponsored family ahead of time, but was matched with them through her local Armenian community centre. She signed up to sponsor them last February and has been waiting for their application to be approved ever since.

The Manougian family is currently in Beirut. The hold-up in their application approval involves the interview at the Canadian embassy. There hasn’t been a date set for that yet. There is confusion as to why it is taking so long, Zakarian said.

Other families have been approved to come to Canada after waiting only a few months, bnt the Manougian family has been waiting 10 months. Their baby was only two months old when Zakarian signed up to sponsor them. The family recently marked his first birthday.

Though she’s anxious to welcome the family to Toronto, Zakarian said it is an “exciting” time.

“I want that little boy to grow up in a safe environment with all the opportunities of life and education,” she said.

While she waits, the Armenian-Canadian community is coming together to help, Zakarian said.

She knows of about 300 Syrian refugee families being sponsored through her Armenian-Canadian community centre and other church organizations.

“The help is overwhelming, it’s so positive,” Zakarian said.

Zakarian has been collecting donations to help these families resettle and adapt to life in Canada. The items she’s collecting include kitchen supplies, clothing, and winter coats.

She has been storing these items in her home, which is getting crowded with boxes.

“Now my house looks like the Tower of Babylon,” Zakarian said with a laugh.

On Canada AM on Thursday morning, host Beverly Thomson informed Zakarian that a local business, All Cianadan Self Storage, has offered her the use of donated storage space for one year.

Syrian government forces take key regions in Latakia Province

AP PHOTO/ ALEXANDER KOTS

 

Iran’s Fars news agency reports on gains made by the Syrian Army and National Defense Forces in the area around the port of Latakia.

Syrian government forces made gains against terrorist groups in Latakia Province, in the west of Syria close to the border with Turkey, eported.

“The Syrian Army alongside the country’s National Defense Forces (NDF) on Wednesday continued pushing back the militant groups in Latakia province and restored full security to at least five more key regions in the Northern part of the coastal province.”

The government forces regained control of several high points and hills in the region, killing many militants in the process, Fars reported.

4 terror suspects, 2 police killed in anti-terror raid in Azerbaijan

Four members of the gang, which operated under the guise of religion, were neutralized as a result of a special operation conducted by the Azerbaijani law enforcement representatives in Baku’s Nardaran settlement, Trend reports, quoting a joint statement made by the Interior Ministry and Prosecutor General’s Office of Azerbaijan. Another 14 members of the gang have been arrested.

The law enforcement bodies say that Tale Bagirov, Elman Agayev, Zulfigar Mikailov and Abulfaz Buniyadov created the Muslim Unity movement for the purpose of changing the constitutional system of the country by force and creating a religious state, governed by the Shariah laws.

The four gathered with their supporters in various parts of the country and in Baku, providing them with different kinds of firearms, ammunition, explosive substances.

In addition, by holding illegal assemblies in Nardaran settlement, they discussed ways to organize rebellion in the country against the authorities and instructed their supporters in this connection, as well as spread leaflets among the population.

In order to detain those people the Interior Ministry held a special operation in Nardaran settlement of Baku. During the operation the police officers faced resistance the criminals used firearms and a hand grenade.

A special operative group killed four members of the criminal grouping and wounded several others.

Two police officers were also killed.

Automatic guns, a hand grenade and cold arms were confiscated from the spot. The criminal grouping and 14 people led by Tale Bagirov were detained. A criminal proceeding has been instituted into the case, investigation is underway.

Russia to strengthen control over food imports from Turkey

Photo: Sputnik/ Konstantin Chalabov

 

According to Russia’s Minister of Agriculture, Moscow will boost control over the delivery of agricultural and food products from Turkey, Sputnik News reports.

The Russian government has instructed the country’s agricultural watchdog Rosselkhoznadzor to strengthen control over the products imported from Turkey, the Russian minister of agriculture said Thursday.

“Given the repeated violations of Russian standards by Turkish producers, the Russian government has instructed the Rosselkhoznadzor to introduce strict controls over the delivery of agricultural and food products from Turkey and arrange additional checks at the border and at production sites in the Republic of Turkey,” Alexander Tkachev said as quoted by the ministry’s press service.

According to the minister, on average, 15 percent of Turkish agricultural products do not comply with Russian standards. He added that the Russian authorities detected residues of banned and harmful substances in the Turkish products of animal origin 40 times since the beginning of the year.

Away fans banned in French football until mid-December

Away fans have been banned from all football matches in France until mid-December following the Paris attacks, the BBC reports.

On 13 November, 130 people died in attacks across Paris, with three suicide bombs outside the Stade de France where France took on Germany.

French league games went ahead the following weekend without away fans.

The Interior Ministry has extended the ban due to a “lack of police forces available” during the ongoing state of emergency and upcoming Climate Summit.

Eagles of Death Metal vow Bataclan return – Video

The lead singer of Eagles of Death Metal says he wants to be the first person to play the Bataclan theatre when it reopens, the BBC reports. 

Three gunmen stormed the gig they were playing at the venue in Paris, killing 89 people.

Speaking to Vice, singer Jesse Hughes said he “cannot wait to get back to Paris and play”.

“Our friends went to see rock and roll and died. I want to go back there and live.”

The group have described – in detail – what happened on the night of the attacks.

Hughes says he came face to face with one of the gunmen as he was trying to escape.

“I saw the shooter,” he said. “He turned and brought the gun down on me but the barrel hit the doorframe.”

In an emotional interview, Hughes said: “I want to be the first person to play in the Bataclan when it opens up.”

All band members escaped unhurt.

Guitarist Eden Galindo said he initially thought the gunshots were the PA “cracking” but then realised “pretty quick” that it wasn’t.

“Jesse ran towards me and we went into the corner. We weren’t sure if they were targeting us.”

Turkey will continue to treat airspace violators like Russia’s Su-24

Turkey’s President Tayyip Erdogan said that will continue to respond the same way it did when it downed the Russian Su-24 Fencer bomber if its airspace is violated, Sputnik News reports.

Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan stated that in case of another violation of the country’s airspace, Ankara is ready to respond in the same manner as with Russia’s Su-24.

“If today there will be another violation of our airspace, we are capable of the same kind of response,” Tayyip Erdogan said.

The downing of Russia’s Su-24 bomber was an “automatic reaction” in line with a standing order given to the Turkish military, according to Erdogan.

 

Russia will take diplomatic, military measures after Turkey shot down Su-24

Photo:  Sputnik/ Dmitry Astakhov

 

Russian Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev said Thursday that Moscow has already taken and will take diplomatic and military measures after the downing of a Russian Su-24 bomber by Turkey, Sputnik News reports.

The Russian prime minister said that the downing of the Russian warplane over Syria was an “act of aggression” committed by Turkey.

“This was certainly an act of aggression against our country by Turkey, our neighbor and a member of the North Atlantic Treaty Organization.”

“Military and diplomatic measures with regard to this crime have already been taken and more will be taken,” Medvedev said during a governmental meeting on Thursday.

On Tuesday, a Russian Su-24 jet crashed in Syria. Russian President Vladimir Putin said that the plane was downed over Syrian territory by an air-to-air missile launched by a Turkish F-16 jet, and fell 4 kilometers (2.5 miles) from the Turkish border. Putin described the Turkish attack as a “stab in the back” carried out by “accomplices of terrorists.”

Dmitry Medvedev has instructed the Russian government on Thursday to work out measures against Turkey after Tuesday’s downing of a Russian military jet.

Moscow may freeze economic cooperation, limit trade spheres as possible measures against Ankara, Medvedev said.

“[The measures include] the suspension of the implementation of programs of economic cooperation, restrictions on financial transactions and on foreign trade transactions, changes in customs duties of import and export, measures in the tourism sector, with regard to transportation, including transit.

Dmitry Medvedev said that Moscow’s response actions would not contradict WTO norms.

According to Medvedev, measures taken by Russia will be temporary and depend on the development of Moscow-Ankara relations and international situation.

The prime minister said that Russian authorities were considering the introduction of bans on Turkish companies’ activities in the country.

Pope Francis urges religious unity in his first Mass in Africa

Photo: Reuters

 

Pope Francis celebrated a historic Mass in Kenya on Thursday, a day declared a national public holiday as throngs of jubilant Catholics flocked to the capital, the CNN reports.

The Pope drove past the crowd in his popemobile, waving to thousands who started lining the streets at dawn to catch a glimpse of him.

When he got to the University of Nairobi, the site of his first Mass in Africa, choirs and traditional dancers swayed to Swahili Christian music as they waited.

Music mixed with the sound of rain wafted across the field as crowds peeked under multicolored umbrellas.

“I wish I was at that Mass now,” said Jane Waceke, who was watching the Pope on television in the town of Nakuru.

“He’s just what we needed, someone to lift Kenyans’ spirits after the terrorist attacks we’ve had. I have a sense of peace and calm just watching him.”