Davit Harutyunyan: New law eliminated constitutional guarantees for judges’ independence

panorama.am
Armenia – Feb 16 2022


Author Lala Ter-Ghazaryan

Judge Davit Harutyunyan of the Yerevan Court of General Jurisdiction believes that the amendments to Armenia’s Judicial Code and Criminal Procedure Code passed earlier in February will not survive long, while the reactions of international organizations to the legislative changes will not be late.

“Sooner or later, the law will be declared unconstitutional, or the leading international organizations, that were referred to during the adoption of the amendments, will call for their review,” Harutyunyan told Panorama.am in an interview on Wednesday.

“I simply rule out that the Venice Commission would have approved the passage of such a bill in such a manner. I believe the position of the Venice Commission concerning another situation has been falsely presented. In addition, based on an application, the Constitutional Court will rule on this law sooner or later,” he stated.

The Armenian National Assembly passed in the second and final reading the draft laws calling for amendments and supplements to the Judicial Code and the Criminal Procedure Code on February 9.

Under the amendments authored by ruling Civil Contract faction MPs Vladimir Vardanyan and Vahagn Hovakimyan, five members of the Supreme Judicial Council (SJC), a state body overseeing Armenian courts, are enough to greenlight disciplinary proceedings against judges. Previously, such decisions had to be approved by at least seven of the ten SJC members.

The changes lowering this threshold were not included in the initial version of the bill adopted by the parliament in the first reading in January. They were added shortly before its passage in the second reading.

“The new law has neutralized and nullified the constitutional guarantees for judges’ independence. The Constitution clearly set the threshold for bringing judges to account, suspending them, etc. The amendments cannot be called a clarification of the SJC’s powers. Obviously, the constitutional guarantees for the independence of judges are being neutralized or reduced,” Harutyunyan said.

Before being put on the agenda of the parliament, the authors did not discuss the proposed changes with representatives of the legal community. Armenian lawyers and judges were unaware of them.

“No judge was aware of the changes. We can assume from the statements that only certain members of the SJC were aware of such wordings of the law or they themselves made such formulations along with some MPs. There are SJC judges, who were unaware of the bill,” the judge stated.

He said he would have opposed the amendments if they had been discussed with judges. “They run counter to the Constitution, neutralizing or eliminating the constitutional guarantees,” the judge said.

In response to the question why such controversial changes were made, the judge quoted Minister of Justice Karen Andreasyan as saying at the February 10 cabinet meeting that the move “aims to remove bad judges from the judicial system.”

“The statements of minsters and judges make it clear that the law seeks to get rid of judges or to punish them under the guise of the clarification of the SJC powers. I tend to believe the justice minister’s statements. As for who the bad judges are, it turns out that the minister will decide for himself,” Harutyunyan noted, adding circle of “bad” judges has already been outlined.

As a result of the discussions that followed the launch of disciplinary proceedings against the judges of the SJC, Harutyunyan came to the conclusion that the state body first picks up judges, and then tries to ascribe violations to them.

“The last [SJC] meeting, especially the questions and answers, made it clear that reports about possible violations [of judges] are not submitted to the SJC, but rather judges are picked up first and then efforts are made to ascribe certain violations to them. To put it short, the selection of judges is mostly targeted,” he stressed.

Harutyunyan claims there is already opposition to the law, which will father intensity in the future.

Newspaper: Azerbaijan delegation to arrive in Yerevan?

 NEWS.am 
Armenia – Feb 16 2022


YEREVAN. – Hraparak daily of Armenia writes: The sessions of the bureau of the Euronest Parliamentary Assembly [(PA)] will be held in [the capital] Yerevan this year, from February 19 to 22.

Members of the Assembly’s Standing Committees on Political, Human Rights and Democracy, Energy Security, Economic Integration, Legal Approximation and EU Policy, Social Affairs, Employment, Education, Culture and Civil Society, Euronest PA European Parliament Delegation and Eastern Partnership countries will arrive in Armenia.

According to some information, Azerbaijan has given preliminary confirmation of its participation [in this event], and the Azerbaijani delegation could arrive in Yerevan.

The event will take place at the Sports and Concert Complex.

Azerbaijanis force out, at gunpoint, Karabakh farmers cultivating vineyards

 NEWS.am 
Armenia – Feb 16 2022



Armenian citizen’s deportation from Russia to Azerbaijan is prevented, this person is returned to Armenia

 NEWS.am 
Armenia – Feb 16 2022


The erroneous deportation of an Armenian citizen born in Azerbaijan to the latter was prevented as a result of cooperation between the Prosecutor General’s Offices of Armenia and Russia, Armenian News-NEWS.am has learned from the Prosecutor General’s Office of Armenia.

In view of the fact that this person had committed an administrative offense in Russia, a Russian court had ruled that this individual should be held administratively liable and be deported from Russia.

But in the introductory part of this decision, the court had erroneously stated that this person was an Azerbaijani citizen, in which case there was a risk of deportation to Azerbaijan.

The Prosecutor General’s Office of Armenia took measures to stop this deportation process—and by engaging the Prosecutor General’s Office of Russia and the authorized state agencies of Armenia in resolving this matter.

With the assistance of the Prosecutor General’s Office of Russia, this matter was presented to the Russian court that had made the above-mentioned decision. As a result, this court changed the inaccuracy in this decision, and this person was returned to Armenia.

Armenia court orders opposition party leader to pay compensation to ambassador to US

 NEWS.am 
Armenia – Feb 16 2022


A Yerevan court partially granted the lawsuit of Lilit Makunts, the Ambassador of Armenia to the US, on against Garnik Isagulyan, chairman of the opposition National Security party, obliging him to renounce his defamatory statements and confiscate from him 424,000 drams (approx. US$885) in Makunts’ favor. Armenian News-NEWS.am has learned about this from the Judicial Information System of Armenia.

On December 23, 2020, Lilit Makunts had filed a lawsuit with the court against Garnik Isagulyan—and with a request to oblige him to refute the statements made at his press conferences and to pay compensation for the respective damage caused. The lawsuit refers to Isagulyan’s statements that the 2018 revolution in Armenia was carried out with Azerbaijani funding.


Armenian organizations in Israel call on President Isaac Herzog to influence Azerbaijan

 NEWS.am 
Armenia – Feb 16 2022


Armenian organizations of Israel Noyan Tapan headed by David Galfayan and Nairi headed by Artem Chernomoryan sent an open appeal to Israeli President Isaac Herzog in which they appeal to the head of the state to influence Azerbaijan to stop the destruction of the Armenian cultural heritage on the Armenian territories passed under Azerbaijani control.

Mendel Korsunsky, political analyst and spokesman for Noyan Tapan, told NEWS.am. In his words, the address to the President mentions the fact that the Azerbaijani government is trying to destroy the Armenian cultural and historical heritage in the region and the attempt to “albanize” Armenian churches and monasteries.

They expressed hope that despite the fact that during the military actions Israel officially supported Azerbaijan on the basis of its political interests, supplying weapons, nevertheless, Israel will not want to be an ally of the state, which pursues a policy of cultural genocide.

A number of international organizations and European parliamentarians have called on Azerbaijan to stop the destruction of the Armenian cultural heritage, but official Baku remains deaf to the appeals of the international community.

Turkey, Azerbaijan citizens seek asylum in Armenia

 NEWS.am 
Armenia – Feb 16 2022


A total of 260 foreign nationals applied for asylum in Armenia in 2021, the State Migration Service said in response to a query from Armenpress.

Most of these asylum seekers (118 persons) are Iranian citizens. Of these 118, 42 were denied asylum while 35 had their applications suspended or dropped. 40 Iranians were granted refugee status, and three others had their refugee status revoked.

A total of 52 Iraqi citizens applied for asylum in Armenia in 2021, with 9 being granted refugee status and 4 having their application suspended or dropped.

Furthermore, 20 of the 27 Syrian citizens who applied for asylum in Armenia were granted refugee status, and two had their application suspended or dropped.

In addition, 14 Cuban citizens applied for asylum in Armenia: 7 were rejected, 1 was granted refugee status, and the applications of 2 others were suspended or dropped.

Seven Russian citizens also applied for asylum in Armenia: 4 were rejected and 1 application was suspended.

Six citizens of Turkey are also among the asylum seekers. Of these applications, 1 was denied, 1 was suspended, and only 3 were granted refugee status in Armenia in 2021.

Two Azerbaijani nationals were denied asylum in Armenia, and another such application was suspended last year.

Citizens of China, Ukraine, Jordan, Georgia, and several other countries were also among asylum seekers in Armenia in 2021.

To note, considerably more foreign nationals sought asylum in Armenia in 2021 than in 2020 and 2019.

https://news.am/eng/news/687088.html

RA NA convenes extraordinary meeting in connection with ratification of so-called "Shusha Declaration" by Azerbaijani, Turkish parliaments


Feb 15 2022
Naira Badalian

ArmInfo.On February 23, at 12:00, the National Assembly of Armenia will gather for an extraordinary meeting in connection with the ratification of the  so-called “Shusha Declaration” by the parliaments of Azerbaijan and  Turkey.

An extraordinary meeting will be convened on the initiative of the  deputies of the Hayastan opposition faction.  The faction proposes  the National Assembly to issue a statement condemning the  ratification of the “Shusha Declaration”, which, in particular,  proposes the National Assembly “to express deep concern over the  ratification by the parliaments of Azerbaijan and Turkey of the  declaration signed on June 15, 2021 in Azerbaijani-occupied Shushi by  the presidents of Turkey and Azerbaijan “.

“The declaration was signed by the Turkish-Azerbaijani  military-political union within the concept of “One nation, two  states.” Although the document states that it is not directed against  a third party, nevertheless, its content is entirely directed against  the Republic of Armenia and Artsakh, against the Armenian people.  It  fixes the strategic goals of the two states that carried out a 44-day  aggression against the Republic of Artsakh – against the  self-determination of the people of Artsakh, the sovereignty of the  Republic of Armenia, the territorial integrity and rights of the  Armenian people, who survived the genocide “and scattered around the  world,” MP from Hayastan faction Andranik Tevanyan stated.

It is noted that the wording on the “Zangezur corridor” used in the  declaration shows that Turkey and Azerbaijan reach public agreements  on the implementation of joint expansionist programs.

The authors of the statement condemn the agreement of the two states  to fight against the international recognition of the Armenian  Genocide by distorting the content of the issue and bringing it into  the field of historical research.

The “Shusha Declaration” is based not on the UN Charter or security  principles adopted by the OSCE, but on the “ethnic security”  approach. This is contrary to the basic norms of international law.  According to the Law on International Treaties of 1969, all  international treaties of the Vienna Convention that are contrary to  the peremptory norms of general international law are void and cannot  have international legitimacy.

The National Assembly declares that the “Shusha Declaration” with its  provocative and destructive nature is unacceptable for the Republic  of Armenia. This is a serious challenge to regional and global  security, does not contribute to the peaceful development of our  region, contradicts the normalization of Armenian- Turkish relations  on the principle of “without preconditions” and raises serious doubts  about the real behavior and intentions of official Ankara,” the  document says.

Normalization process between Turkey and Armenia "is really encouraging", says US ambassador to Turkey

Feb 16 2022
Marianna Mkrtchyan

ArmInfo.Turkey and the US “benefit from a close relationship,” said the new US Ambassador to Ankara Jeffrey Flake, hailing the bilateral ties between the two  countries.

Turkey is a “consequential” country and has “a big role on the global  stage,” Jeff Flake told Anadolu Agency in an exclusive interview.

“It’s an important ally for us,” he stressed, further saying that the  security between Ankara and Washington has “strengthened.”

Flake officially took over as the US ambassador in late January,  succeeding David Satterfield, who had served as Washington’s envoy to  Turkey since June 2019.

With an emphasis on Turkey’s position in NATO, he said it is “an  important member of NATO, has been for 70 years. And so we have a lot  of shared interests there.”

Turkey has “the second largest F-16 fleet” and is “the third largest  contributor in terms of NATO missions,” said Flake, who conveyed US  Permanent Representative to NATO Julianne Smith’s thanks to Turkey  for its role in the alliance.

On the Russia-Ukraine tensions, the US ambassador said, “Turkey has  been steadfast in its support of Ukrainian sovereignty” and Ankara  “shares our commitment to a diplomatic solution if we can have one.   They have supported that in a big way.”

Flake further said that “with threats like we have right now in the  region in Ukraine, our relationship with Turkey is even more  important.”

He also addressed the economic ties between Turkey and the US, which  he called “very important and increasingly important.”

“Our trade relationship with Turkey is large and growing. We have  exchanges that are important. So there’s so many things that are  vital and that we need to foster and improve on,” Flake said.

“People tend to look at Turkey is just important in the security  realm, but it’s extremely important in the economic space as well,”  the US ambassador said. “Last year we had about $28 billion in trade  that was a 28% increase over the year before.”

He also said some $50 billion US investment in Turkey has created  about 100,000 jobs.

In 2021, Turkish exports to the US increased 45%, he said, hailing  Turkey for increasing its exports despite the COVID-19 pandemic.

With economic ties growing, Flake said, “we’ve set some ambitious  goals, the last administration of $100 billion in trade. That is an  ambitious goal, but when I meet with American businesses, and Turkish  businesses, they want to get there. And over time, I believe we can.”

Drawing to education, Flake stated that Turkey is “a biggest  contributor of European students in the US, our 15th largest  contributor of students worldwide, and that’s growing.”

Some 170 Turkish students are studying in the US with the Fulbright  Scholar Program, he said, adding there are many other programs as  well.

“We love it when Turkish citizens come to the United States and  obviously Americans love to come here,” he said.

On the Rome meeting last fall of Turkish and US presidents, Flake  said: “They established the strategic mechanism meant to encourage  high-level dialogue on areas that we work together on or perhaps we  don’t exactly agree on, but high-level dialogue.”

He also said “more high-level visits” are expected as the US is  looking “to make to take full advantage of this strategic mechanism.”

Flake, who served in the US Senate Committee on Foreign Relations,  said: “We dealt with Turkey a lot.  Because Turkey is a principal  ally of ours, but also an important player on the world stage.”

Flake said negotiations are on track regarding the sale and  modernization of F-16 fighter jets.

“In fact, there was a delegation here just this past week as the  delegation here in December as well to help prepare what’s called  “LoR” or a request for additional F-16s and modernization of F-16,”  he said.

Meanwhile, the US diplomat said compensation for Turkiye’s payment  for F-35s is “a very complicated process.”

Lawyers and accountants are working on the issue, he added.

The US sees Turkiye’s request for new F-16s “very positive,” Flake  said, as it shows Turkiye’s “commitment to NATO.”

“We obviously know that it’s extremely important to have  interoperability. So that’s a positive request.”

About Turkiye’s role in Afghanistan, he said the US hopes Turkey  “will play a role in Afghanistan’s future and in terms of securing  the airport, for example, to connect Afghanistan to the world that  will benefit the citizens of Afghanistan and all of us.”

Flake also welcomed the normalization process between Turkey and  Armenia.

“That’s great as well. We welcome that. We’ve been very happy to see  the meetings happening. One in Russia, another one in Vienna coming  up. But it is really encouraging, what is going on. I believe there  are flights now going from Istanbul to Yerevan. That’s a great sign.”  

Azerbaijani troops keep on terrorizing Artsakh population.

Feb 16 2022
Marianna Mkrtchyan

ArmInfo.Azerbaijani troops keep on terrorizing the Artsakh population.

The Police of the Republic of Artsakh reports that the Azerbaijani  troops opened fire at a tractor driver. 

“On February 15, at about 3:30pm, in the administrative territory of  the village of Khramort, one of the villagers, Khnapat K., born in  1983, came under fire opened by the Azerbaijani troops while driving  a tractor in the field. The tractor wheel was damaged. The local  officials headed by Head of the local administration Arman  Sarukhanyan and representatives of the Russian peacekeeping  contingent arrived at the scene. The police are collecting evidence  to launch an investigation,” the report reads. 

On Tuesday the Azerbaijani troops opened fire at the local  settlements in the aforementioned direction, injuring one serviceman  of the Artsakh Defense Army.