Biden accuses Putin in launching “premeditated war”

Save

Share

 09:16,

YEREVAN, FEBRUARY 24, ARMENPRESS. United States President Joe Biden accused Russian President Vladimir Putin in choosing “a premeditated war that will bring a catastrophic loss of life and human suffering” after Russia launched a special military operation in Donbass.

“The prayers of the entire world are with the people of Ukraine tonight as they suffer an unprovoked and unjustified attack by Russian military forces. President Putin has chosen a premeditated war that will bring a catastrophic loss of life and human suffering. Russia alone is responsible for the death and destruction this attack will bring, and the United States and its Allies and partners will respond in a united and decisive way,” Biden in part said in a statement.

Biden added that he will meet with G7 counterparts and then announce further steps.

Early Thursday morning Russian President Vladimir Putin said that he made the decision to hold a special military operation in response to the address of leaders of Donbass republics.

“People’s republics of Donbass approached Russia with a request for help. In connection therewith, <…> I made the decision to hold a special military operation. Its goal is to protect the people that are subjected to abuse, genocide from the Kiev regime for eight years, and to this end we will seek to demilitarize and denazify Ukraine and put to justice those that committed numerous bloody crimes against peaceful people, including Russian nationals,” Putin said in the television address as reported by TASS. 

Justice and truth are on Russia’s side, President Vladimir Putin said in a special television address.

“The welfare, the very existence of entire countries and peoples, their success and health are always originating from the strong root system of culture and values, experience and traditions of ancestors, directly depending on abilities to quickly adapt to continuously changing life, consolidation of the society, its readiness to consolidate and gather all forces together for moving forward,” Putin said.

“Forces are always needed but they can be of different quality,” the Russian leader said. “And we know the real strength is in justice and truth that are on our side,” he added.




Ukraine asks “strategic ally” Turkey for support

Save

Share

 09:25,

YEREVAN, FEBRUARY 24, ARMENPRESS. The Ukrainian Embassy in Ankara has officially asked Turkey to provide support after Russia launched a special military operation in Donbass.

“The Russian Federation launched a war against Ukraine. Peaceful Ukrainian settlements are under bombardment. We are calling on our strategic ally Turkey and the friendly people of Turkey to help us at this difficult time,” the embassy said in a statement. 

The Russian military denied targeting any civilian settlements. 

Earlier on Thursday morning, Russian President Vladimir Putin said that he made the decision to hold a special military operation in response to the address of leaders of Donbass republics, TASS reports.

“People’s republics of Donbass approached Russia with a request for help. In connection therewith, <…> I made the decision to hold a special military operation. Its goal is to protect the people that are subjected to abuse, genocide from the Kiev regime for eight years, and to this end we will seek to demilitarize and denazify Ukraine and put to justice those that committed numerous bloody crimes against peaceful people, including Russian nationals,” Putin said in the television address as quoted by TASS.

Justice and truth are on Russia’s side, President Vladimir Putin said in a special television address.

“The welfare, the very existence of entire countries and peoples, their success and health are always originating from the strong root system of culture and values, experience and traditions of ancestors, directly depending on abilities to quickly adapt to continuously changing life, consolidation of the society, its readiness to consolidate and gather all forces together for moving forward,” Putin said.

“Forces are always needed but they can be of different quality,” the Russian leader said. “And we know the real strength is in justice and truth that are on our side,” he added.




Armenian military again calls on Azeri defense ministry to stop disinformation campaign after latest fake news

Save

Share

 09:41,

YEREVAN, FEBRUARY 24, ARMENPRESS. The Azerbaijani Ministry of Defense once again released disinformation falsely accusing the Armenian military in opening fire at Azerbaijani positions.

“The Ministry of Defense of Azerbaijan, by continuing its conduct of regular disinformation on the border situation, has announced as if in the evening of February 23 the Armenian Armed Forces opened fire in the direction of Azerbaijani military positions deployed in the south-eastern section of the Armenian-Azerbaijani border. The Ministry of Defense of the Republic of Armenia is once again calling on the Azerbaijani side to refrain from spreading obvious fake reports on the border situation. The situation at the Armenian-Azerbaijani border is relatively stable as is under the full control of the Armenian Armed Forces,” the Armenian Ministry of Defense said.

Russian Armed Forces are not delivering strikes against Ukrainian cities – Defense Ministry

Save

Share

 09:43,

YEREVAN, FEBRUARY 24, ARMENPRESS. The Russian Armed Forces are not delivering artillery or air strikes against Ukrainian cities and are striking military infrastructure with precision weapons, TASS reports citing the statement of the Russian Defense Ministry.

“Precision weapons are degrading military infrastructure, air defense facilities, military aerodromes and aviation of the Ukrainian armed forces”, the ministry said as quoted by TASS.

Civilians are not threatened, Russia’s Defense Ministry assured.

Russian President Vladimir Putin said in a televised address on Thursday morning that in response to a request by the heads of the Donbass republics he had made a decision to carry out a special military operation. The Russian leader stressed that Moscow had no plans of occupying Ukrainian territories.

Armenian Embassy in Ukraine in constant touch with Armenian citizens

Save

Share

 10:07,

YEREVAN, FEBRUARY 24, ARMENPRESS. The Embassy of Armenia in Ukraine released a statement today, informing that it maintains permanent contact with the Armenian citizens.

“The Armenian Embassy in Ukraine is working with the whole staff and is in constant touch with the Armenian citizens”, the statement says.

The Embassy also said that citizens can call at the following numbers to be in touch with:

+380442349005

+380671090506

+380689602524

+380685000782

 

Russian President Vladimir Putin said in a televised address on Thursday morning that in response to a request by the heads of the Donbass republics he had made a decision to carry out a special military operation.

President of Ukraine Volodymyr Zelensky declared martial law in the country.




Armenian Minister of Defense departs for Russia

Save

Share

 10:12,

YEREVAN, FEBRUARY 23, ARMENPRESS. A delegation led by Armenian Minister of Defense Suren Papikyan departed for Russia on February 24, the Ministry of Defense said in a statement.

It added that during the visit Minister Papikyan will have meetings with his Russian counterpart Minister Sergey Shoygu and other government officials.

Ukrainian border guards not showing resistance, air defense measures neutralized – says Russian military

Save

Share

 10:18,

YEREVAN, FEBRUARY 24, ARMENPRESS. The Russian military announced that the Ukrainian border guards are not showing any resistance against the Russian military units.

It added in a statement that the Ukrainian military’s air defense measures and military infrastructures of air fields are neutralized.

Russia has begun a military operation in Ukraine following a request from the authorities of the Donetsk and Lugansk republics for assistance in repelling Kiev’s military aggression, Russian President Vladimir Putin said in urgent address on Thursday.

He said that Moscow would seek the “demilitarization and denazification” of Ukraine, called upon the Ukrainian army to lay down weapons and warned there would follow a prompt response to attempts at foreign intervention from outside.




Armenia reports over 760 daily COVID-19 cases

Save

Share

 11:07,

YEREVAN, FEBRUARY 24, ARMENPRESS. 764 new cases of COVID-19 were confirmed in Armenia in the last 24 hours, bringing the cumulative total number of confirmed cases to 418,220, the Ministry of Healthcare reported.

14 people died from COVID-19 complications, bringing the total death toll to 8392.

4467 tests were conducted on February 23.

970 people recovered (total 396,670).

As of February 24, the number of active cases stands at 11,557.

Airport operations in 12 Russian southern cities suspended

Save

Share

 11:09,

YEREVAN, FEBRUARY 24, ARMENPRESS. Operations of 12 airports in southern Russian cities have been temporarily suspended, TASS reports citing the statement of the Russian Federal Air Transport Agency.

“In view of complication of the situation around Ukraine, flights to certain airports in southern Russia have been temporarily limited from 03.45 am Moscow time of February 24, 2002. The restriction is effective until 03.45 am Moscow time of March 02, 2022. Operations are suspended in airports: Rostov-on-Don (Platov), Krasnodar (Pashkovsky), Anapa (Vityazevo), Gelendzhik, Elista, Stavropol, Belgorod, Bryansk, Oryol, Kursk, Voronezh and Simferopol”, the Agency said.

“Russian aviation authorities strongly encourage passengers of flights closest by time and welcomers not to arrive at airports”, the regulator added.

Armenian community of Ukraine maintains contact with Embassy

Save

Share

 11:22,

YEREVAN, FEBRUARY 24, ARMENPRESS. The Armenian community of Ukraine has been prepared for evacuating Armenians from the heated border sections in case of necessity, Kiev-based Ukrainian-Armenian political analyst Marat Hakobyan said in an interview to ARMENPRESS.

“The talk is about the Armenians living in Donetsk and Lugansk. The Armenian community has developed a plan for evacuating our compatriots from the military zone. There is no such need yet. We have specified the routes, transport in advance to evacuate Armenians in case of necessity, but I repeat that as of this moment there is no such request yet”, he said.

He said there are more Armenians in Donetsk, up to 50,000. Mr. Hakobyan also informed that they are in touch with the Armenian Embassy for various issues.

“You know that martial law has been declared in the country. As this is not the first year, the Armenian community knows what to do. All infrastructures in the country are operating, the public transport is working. There is just a lot of traffic in Kiev. Those who are able to reach their destinations do their work. People try not to panic”, he said.

Russian President Vladimir Putin said in a televised address on Thursday morning that in response to a request by the heads of the Donbass republics he had made a decision to carry out a special military operation.

President of Ukraine Volodymyr Zelensky declared martial law in the country.

Reporting by Anna Gziryan