Transparency International Publishes Preliminary Report On Parliamen

TRANSPARENCY INTERNATIONAL PUBLISHES PRELIMINARY REPORT ON PARLIAMENTARY ELECTIONS

Noyan Tapan
May 31 2007

YEREVAN, MAY 31, NOYAN TAPAN. "60 mln drams (nearly 171 thousand
dollars) permitted for preelection agitation was surpassed by RPA
and Bargavach Hayastan parties, so, respectively, these parties spent
79.1 mln and 129.6 mln drams." This was mentioned in the preliminary
report of monitoring of parliamentary elections of Transparency
International-Armenia Center for Regional Development.

At the May 31 press conference dedicated to presentation of monitoring
results Center Head Amalia Kostanian said that another parties entering
National Assembly spent: ARFD 50.7 mln drams, OYP 33.1 mln drams and
Zharangutiun 24.0 mln drams, much less money was spent by another
parties not having entered the National Assembly.

In A. Kostanian’s words, the organization registered many violations
not only on the day of elections, but also at the preelection
stage. Abuse of administrative, transport resource, agitation
violations, etc. took place in the preelection period. He attached
a special importance to the circumstance that an atmosphere of fear
was formed on the day of elections. In particular, the organization
received signals that many people had been instructed for whom to
vote. Many signals were received during the monitoring about bribes
given to voters. However, in Kostanian’s words, as the eye-witnesses
were afraid to give evidence, it was impossible to officially register
and calculate such "expenditures" of parties.

To recap, Transparency International-Armenia Center for Regional
Development has been implementing monitoring of financing parties’
preelection agitation and abuse of administrative resource at
parliamentary elections since 2006 November in cities of Yerevan,
Gyumri and Vanadzor. The program is financed by Soros Institute of
Open Society.

Www.Litlab.Org Armenian-Azerbaijani Literary Internet Magazine Creat

ARMENIAN-AZERBAIJANI LITERARY INTERNET MAGAZINE CREATED

Noyan Tapan
May 29 2007

YEREVAN, MAY 29, NOYAN TAPAN. One work by each of five Armenian and
Azerbaijani writers were placed on the Internet literary
magazine created by Yerevan and Baku Press Clubs, with the support
of Catholic Relief Service. This was reported at the May 29 press
conference of members of Armenian side of Board of magazine’s program.

Chairman of Yerevan Press Club Boris Navasardian said that Russian
and English translations of above mentioned works have been also
placed on the website.

"Our last observations once more prove that our idea about
Azerbaijani public an Azerbaijanis’ idea about our public are not
right," B. Navasardian said giving as an example that according
to surveys conducted in Azerbaijan, the majority of Azeris is for
holding Azerbaijan-Armenia elimination football match for Europe
Championship. He expressed the hope that in September when new works
will be placed on a possibility to form an idea about
literary processes, public, political and cultural life in the two
countries will be created. In case of ensuring program’s permanence
the works placed on the website will be also published in the almanac,
as well as works by writers representing Georgia and Abkhazia, North
and South Cypruses, Georgia and Turkey will be included in the website.

In the words of expert of Yerevan Press Club Mesrop Haroutiunian,
the translations from Armenian to Azerbaijani language and vice versa
were done on the basis of Russian and activities are being done to
organize translations just from originals of "mother tongue."

Program head Artur Papian presenting the site, said
that the website also includes a department of discussions of literary
works. They are chosen by joint decision of Yerevan Press Club and
Baku Press Club. In B. Navasardian’s words, the works placed on the
website were also discussed during roundtables held with participation
of specialists of culture, writers and journalists. One roundtable with
participation of Armenian and one with participation of Azerbaijani
students and journalists will be organized in June.

To recap, creation of the website was organized by the Armenian
side. The expenditures of Armenian side on organization and editing
made 14 thousand dollars and only editing expenditures of Azerbaijani
side 11 thousand dollars.

WWW.LITLAB.ORG
www.litlab.org
www.litlab.org
www.litlab.org

Patrick Devedjian assure de gagner la bataille des Hauts-de-Seine

Patrick Devedjian assuré de gagner la bataille des Hauts-de-Seine

LE MONDE | 28.05.07 | 14h21 . Mis à jour le 28.05.07 | 14h21

,1-0@2-8 23448,36-915792@51-909853,0.html

La bataille pour la succession de Nicolas Sarkozy à la présidence du conseil
général des Hauts-de-Seine aura duré moins de trois semaines. Elle n’aura
finalement été qu’une "guerre éclair". Patrick Devedjian a toutes les
chances d’être élu, vendredi 1er juin, par l’assemblée départementale. Le
nouveau secrétaire général délégué de l’UMP a d’ores et déjà reçu le
soutien – écrit – d’une vingtaine de conseillers généraux UMP et UDF sur les
30 élus de la majorité.

Jean-Jacques Guillet, président du groupe UMP, et Isabelle Balkany (UMP),
vice-présidente chargée des affaires scolaires, sont également sur les
rangs. Mais un candidat unique de la droite devrait être désigné, soit mardi
29 mai par un vote interne du groupe UMP, soit mercredi 30 mai par les élus
UDF-UMP.
Officiellement, M. Sarkozy n’a adoubé personne. Le 15 mai, il s’est contenté
d’inviter les élus UMP et UDF du département à "élire un ou une présidente",
a-t-il insisté, tout en les appelant à préserver "l’unité" de la majorité
départementale.
En privé, M. Devedjian, qui n’a pas été nommé au gouvernement, a toutefois
reçu des encouragements de la part du chef de l’Etat. "Tu n’es pas ministre.
Mais tu es certain d’avoir les Hauts-de-Seine", lui a laissé entendre M.
Sarkozy, rapporte un proche de l’ancien ministre de l’industrie.
La plupart des élus ont été surpris d’apprendre, lundi 21 mai, que M.
Sarkozy démissionnait uniquement de sa fonction de président du conseil. Sa
décision de rester simple conseiller général rendant inutile le préalable
d’une cantonale partielle, la campagne interne pour sa succession s’en est
trouvée abrégée. Cette décision "a brusqué le calendrier", constate
Jean-Jacques Guillet, qui avait prévu un vote interne du groupe UMP le 20
juin.
Jacques Gautier, président du conseil général par intérim, a, "dès le
lendemain de l’appel à l’unité de M. Sarkozy", le 15 mai, dit-il, commencé
une campagne de signature en faveur de M. Devedjian auprès des élus.
Dans une lettre, le maire de Garches fait valoir que M. Devedjian a "la
dimension politique nationale indispensable pour diriger le premier
département de France". Sa qualité "d’ami fidèle du président de la
République, écrit M. Gautier, assure notre département de conserver un lien
très fort avec Nicolas Sarkozy".
L’accélération du calendrier n’a cependant pas totalement désarmé les deux
autres prétendants. Mme Balkany dénonce ce qu’elle appelle le "coup de
force" de M. Devedjian, "spécialiste, selon elle, de l’autoproclamation".
Elle se dit "certaine" que, parmi la vingtaine d’élus qui ont signé la
lettre de soutien au député d’Antony, plusieurs ont subi des "pressions"
concernant leur future investiture aux municipales ou aux cantonales. Ce
dont se défend M. Devedjian : "Je trouve indigne enfin qu’on accuse les
membres du conseil général d’être perméables à d’éventuelles pressions."
Mme Balkany et M. Guillet comptent sur un vote interne des élus UMP "à
bulletin secret" pour montrer que M. Devedjian ne dispose pas d’autant de
soutiens qu’il peut prétendre. "Il n’aura pas la majorité absolue au premier
tour au sein du groupe", gage Mme Balkany, qui avait l’intention de demander
la tenue de ce vote, mardi 29 mai. Une "majorité d’élus du groupe UMP
souhaite que nous votions", déclare M. Guillet.
"J’y suis parfaitement favorable", affirme M. Devedjian, qui met toutefois
en garde ses rivaux "contre le risque qu’il y a pour eux à vouloir se
compter".

Béatrice Jérôme
Article paru dans l’édition du 29.05.07

http://www.lemonde.fr/web/article/0

World Bank Watch: Enter The Frist

WORLD BANK WATCH: ENTER THE FRIST
Blake Hounshell

Foreign Policy
May 24 2007

PAUL J. RICHARDS/AFPIn what is likely a trial balloon floated by
the White House, the Wall Street Journal’s Greg Hitt reports that
former Senate Majority Leader Bill First is on the shortlist to
be the next president of the World Bank and "is getting especially
close scrutiny for the job." That’s not likely to make too many folks
happy at the development institution, which is still seething from
Paul Wolfowitz’s tenure. Of course, there’s always the possibility
that the Bush administration is floating Frist’s name as a courtesy,
and that he’s not being seriously considered for a job that ought to
require someone with the brains and experience of a Robert Zoellick
or Robert Kimmitt.

A handful of countries-including Brazil, South Korea, China and
Pakistan-are on record saying that the United States should no longer
be selecting the Bank’s president unilaterally, but it looks like
the Bush administration is moving fast enough to prevent a broader
movement from developing.

If Frist doesn’t fit the bill, one possibility is for Bush to nominate
someone who doesn’t sound American, such as his Harvard Business
School pal Vasken Setrakian, who is of Armenian descent. But I doubt
many people would be fooled by that.

http://blog.foreignpolicy.com/node/4886

Karabakh People Do Not Suffer From Night Blindness

KARABAKH PEOPLE DO NOT SUFFER FROM NIGHT-BLINDNESS

A1+
[07:19 pm] 24 May, 2007

Bako Sahakyan, the Head of the NKR National Security Service, is
the most possible candidate to win during the upcoming presidential
elections in NKR and his candidature is protected by all parliamentary
powers.

The fight is between Sahakyan and Masis Mayilyan, the NKR Minister of
Foreign Affairs. However, they say that unequal conditions are set up
for both candidates. The NKR Presidential Advisor on Political Affairs
Arman Melikyan mentioned that the candidature of Bako Sahakyan was
really protected by the parliamentary powers and said that he did not
see anything negative in it, even more; ignoring external challenges
was simply night-blindness. Arman Melikyan stated that it was a vital
period for Karabakh and an important developing period for transiting
the government to another power.

As to the debate level of the candidates, Mr Melikyan stated that it
reflected the maturity of the society.

"The existing debate is a bright example of democracy", said Armen
Melikyan.

Georgian FM Congratulates Vartan Oskanian On Holding Successful Elec

GEORGIAN FM CONGRATULATES VARTAN OSKANIAN ON HOLDING SUCCESSFUL ELECTIONS

ArmRadio.am
22.05.2007 16:55

Georgian Foreign Minster Gela Bezhuashvili has congratulated his
Armenian counterpart Vartan Oskanian on the successful conduct
of parliamentary elections in the country. Press and information
Department of Georgian MFA informs that the Foreign Ministers of
Armenia and Georgia had a phone talks today.

The interlocutors discussed the perspectives of bilateral cooperation,
the situations in the region and exchanged information on the processes
underway in Georgia and Armenia. The Ministers expressed willingness
to cooperate in all spheres.

ANTELIAS: Welcoming reception for HH held at St. Gregory Church

PRESS RELEASE
Catholicosate of Cilicia
Communication and Information Department
Contact: V.Rev.Fr.Krikor Chiftjian, Communications Officer
Tel: (04) 410001, 410003
Fax: (04) 419724
E- mail: [email protected]
Web:

PO Box 70 317
Antelias-Lebanon

Armenian version:

HIS HOLINESS RECEIVES A POPULAR WELCOME IN NOR KUIGH

The Armenian community of Aleppo and the local Arab residents witnessed the
love and respect for the Armenian nation towards its Spiritual Leader during
a popular welcome of His Holiness Aram I in Nor Kuigh on May 19.

The streets of this Armenian neighborhood in Aleppo were decorated with
flags and pictures and its inhabitants, both elderly and young, men and
women, took to the streets to welcome the Pontiff, who walked towards the
Saint Gregory Church through the masses with a procession while flowers and
rice were being thrown from the balconies as a sign of welcome.

Primate Bishop Shahan Sarkissian welcomed His Holiness in Aleppo and the
church. Given the period of the visit that falls between Christ’s Assumption
into heaven and Pentecost, the Bishop asked the Armenian Spiritual leader to
spread the Holy Spirit among the children of his nation. "You are anointed
by the Holy Spirit as Armenian Pontiff and your being here today is proof of
mutual love and trust between yourself and our nation," he said.

In his sermon, the Catholicos called on believers to reevaluate the three
main principles of Christian life: faith, hope and love. "All these are not
mere emotional states. Rather, as the Holy Bible says, they should be
tangibly expressed through good works." Pointing out that faith, hope and
love are above all the pillars of the Church’s life, His Holiness talked
about the attributes that form a believer’s valor: hope strengthened through
love and the epitome of both, love.

On this occasion, His Holiness also highlighted the role of the
Syrian-Armenian community and its contribution to the life of the Antelias
Seminary. In this respect he mentioned the several Primates of the dioceses
in Syria, who have originally been members of the Syrian Armenian community.
He specifically remembered the late Catholicos Zareh I, who following an
active role as the Primate of the Diocese of Aleppo, climbed up to the
Armenian Church’s highest position. The Catholicos also praised the people’s
attachment to its Mother Church, the Seminary in Antelias and community
life.

The faithful then approached His Holiness in endless queues to kiss his
right hand and receive his blessings.

##
View the photo here:
*****
The Armenian Catholicosate of Cilicia is one of the two Catholicosates of
the Armenian Orthodox Church. For detailed information about the dioceses of
the Cilician Catholicosate, you may refer to the web page of the
Catholicosate, The Cilician Catholicosate, the
administrative center of the church is located in Antelias, Lebanon.

http://www.cathcil.org/
http://www.cathcil.org/v04/doc/Armenian.htm
http://www.cathcil.org/v04/doc/Photos/Photos98.htm
http://www.cathcil.org/

Russia’s Ambassador To Azerbaijan Declared About Possibility Of Acti

RUSSIA’S AMBASSADOR TO AZERBAIJAN DECLARED ABOUT POSSIBILITY OF ACTIVATING TALKS ON KARABAKH

PanARMENIAN.Net
18.05.2007 13:39 GMT+04:00

/PanARMENIAN.Net/ Russia’s Ambassador to Azerbaijan Vasili Istratov
predicts activation in the Nagorno Karabakh conflict settlement
process. Since parliamentarian elections are over in Armenia some
activation is possible in the negotiation process, the Russian diplomat
stated to journalists. He underlined that prediction in politics is
a complicated thing, since results depend not only on Russia’s wish,
but also on an entire complex of causes.

Before the May 12 parliamentarian elections in Armenia there existed
a viewpoint that elections slow down talks on the conflict settlement
between Armenia and Azerbaijan. "Elections are over. Results have been
summed up. Now we’ll see if elections have slowed down negotiations
or no," the Ambassador said, Trend reports.

Parimarjan Held By Grigoryan In Youth Stars Chess

PARIMARJAN HELD BY GRIGORYAN IN YOUTH STARS CHESS

The Press Trust of India
May 17, 2007 Thursday

World’s youngest Grandmaster Parimarjan Negi was held to a draw by
International Master Avetik Grigoryan of Armenia in the first round
of World Youth Stars Chess tournament here.

The English opening by Grigoryan did not give many chances to
Parimarjan, the youngest participanr here, as the Armenian traded
queens earlier on and the game continued in level territory albeit
with some complications.

Parimarjan had to find the right moves towards the end of the game
and forced exchanges led to a drawn rook and pawns ending and peace
was signed after 35 moves.

On the first day of the event that features some of the finest talents
in the world, world junior champion GM Zaven Andriasian of Armenia
recorded a smooth victory over IM Safarli Eltaz of Azerbaijan while
top seed Ian Nepomniachtchi of Russia played out a draw with second
seed Azerbaijani Rauf Mamedov.

The first round witnessed three decisive games out of a possible six
in this 12-players round robin event.

Apart from Andriasian, International Master Falco Bindrich of Germany
and Eduard Gorovykh of Russia have a point each.

Bindrich defeated International Master Ivan Popov of Russia while
Gorovykh recorded a memorable victory over GM Yuriy Kuzubov of Ukraine.

The remaining games of the opening day ended in draws leaving
Parimarjan in joint fourth spot with 10 rounds to come.

Zaven Andriasian was a surprise winner in the last World Junior
championship in front of his home crowd last October. However, since
then not much has been heard about him possibly because of his low
rating that is now rising.

Safarli Eltaz got an endgame lesson from Andriasian in a Guico Piano
opening where the latter played black. It looked a smooth sailing for
Eltaz for quite sometime in the middle game but once the game entered
into complications, Andriasian was at his best and won a handful of
pawns to force matters.

Yuriy Kuzubov did not anticipate his agony at the hands of Gorovykh
who is only a FIDE master yet.

The Ukrainian GM was taken to task in the queen and minor piece
endgame arising out of a Sicilian Najdorf and lost a piece when
white’s central pawn marched down on him. The game lasted 46 moves.

Results round 1: Avetik Grigoryan (Arm) drew with Parimarjan
Negi (Ind); Zaven Andriasian (Arm) beat Safarli Eltaz (Aze); Ian
Nepomniachtchi (Rus) drew with Rauf Mamedov (Aze); Eduard Gorovykh
(Rus) beat Yuriy Kuzubov (Ukr); Falco Bindrich (Ger) beat Ivan Popov
(Rus); Sergei Zhigalco (Blr) drew with Daniil Lintchevsky (Rus).

ANTELIAS: His Holiness Aram I leaves for Syria on a pontifical visit

PRESS RELEASE
Catholicosate of Cilicia
Communication and Information Department
Contact: V.Rev.Fr.Krikor Chiftjian, Communications Officer
Tel: (04) 410001, 410003
Fax: (04) 419724
E- mail: [email protected]
Web:

PO Box 70 317
Antelias-Lebanon

Armenian version:

HIS HOLINESS ARAM I DEPARTS FOR SYRIA

His Holiness Aram I departed yesterday for a Pontifical visit to Syria,
where he will preside over several national and religious events. The
Catholicos will also deliver a Pontifical address to the Syrian-Armenian
community, meet with the diocesan councils as well as Christian and Muslim
religious leaders during his one-week visit to Syria.

http://www.cathcil.org/
http://www.cathcil.org/v04/doc/Armenian.htm