Bankrupt Armenian cement plant amid salary scandal

Hraparak: Bankrupt Armenian cement plant amid salary scandal

09:46 * 26.08.14

Mika Cement, the Hrazdan-based cement plant which declared itself
bankrupt in 2012, turns out to owe five months’ salary to its staff.

Citing its sources close to the company, the paper says that about two
days ago, only workers received their April salary from VTB Bank. The
paper claims that the salaries began to be regularly paid after the
plant’s workforce went on a strike in Hrazdan earlier this summer.
Aditionally, about 300-400 employees are claimed to be in a state of
idleness. Citing further its sources, the paper adds that the
long-awaited unpaid salaries four of the employees to suffer stroke,
of whom two later died, unable to find means for treatment. The deaths
lie upon the conscience of the plant’s former owner, Mikhail
Baghdasarov, says the paper, adding that the employees are still in
the dark as to why they get their salaries from the Russian bank.

The paper claims further that the company deliberately keeps the staff
in ignorance, having disconnected all the telephones, apart from the
one at the Human Resources Department. Besides, the plant’s board of
directors has been re-organized, adds the paper. “I am no longer the
general director. I am a deputy CEO,” Naira Martirosyan, a former
chief of the plant, told the paper, adding that Artur Muradov is their
current CEO.

The paper adds that the strangely secret behavior adopted by Mika
Cement and VTB Bank gives way to different rumors in Hrazdan. Some
reportedly say that the plant came under the ownership of Russians
after it went bankrupt two years ago. The Russian bank is said to have
acquired Mika Cement in return for an unredeemed pledge worth $20
million. Though the media earlier claimed that the company was later
sold to Armenian businessmen in Russia, the paper says that the
reports have been neither confirmed nor denied by the bank. Citing its
own sources, it claims, however, that the new owners have direct
connections with VTB. After studying the situation in the plant, they
reportedly declared that they are not able to pay off the salary
debts. Speaking to the paper, sources at the bank admitted that the
pay the salaries of Mika Cement, but they reportedly declined to
respond to further questions, demanding a written request.

Armenian News – Tert.am

Adversary made 80 violations during the weekend

Adversary made 80 violations during the weekend

11:02 25.08.2014

According to the recent report of NKR Ministry of Defense, Azerbaijani
forces breached the truce about 80 times on Karabakh-Azerbaijan Line
of Contact on August 23-24. Over 650 shots were fired at Karabakh
frontline positions from guns of different calibers, the
Nagorno-Karabakh Defense Ministry reports.

The frontline units of NKR Defense Army mainly remained true to the
ceasefire regime and took response measures only when absolutely
necessary.

http://www.armradio.am/en/2014/08/25/adversary-made-80-violations-during-the-weekend/

Armenian Boxer Wins Bronze at Youth Olympics

Armenian Boxer Wins Bronze at Youth Olympics

Monday, August 25th, 2014

Boxer Narek Manasyan

NANJING, China–Boxer Narek Manasyan, representing Armenia, has become
a bronze medalist at the 2nd Summer Youth Olympic Games held in
Nanjing, China. The Armenian boxer defeated Viddal Riley representing
the United Kingdom by a score of 2 to 1 in the Men’s Light Heavy (81kg
/ 178 lb) Bronze Medal Bout. Earlier, Narek Manasyan celebrated
another victory over a Turkish athlete.

According to Armenpress, Anush Grigoryan, who is Armenia’s sole female
world boxing champion, was left without a medal at the Youth Olympics,
losing to Turkey’s Neriman Istik.

http://asbarez.com/126278/armenian-boxer-wins-bronze-at-youth-olympics/

Generation watching Armenia’s border surpasses its predecessors: Art

Generation watching Armenia’s border surpasses its predecessors:
Artsakh Diocese leader

17:39, 25 August, 2014

YEREVAN, AUGUST 25, ARMENPRESS. The Armenian border today is watched
by a brilliant generation that surpasses its predecessors, which is a
sign of progress. This is how the leader of the Artsakh diocese of the
Armenian Apostolic Church Archbishop Pargev Martirosyan described the
Armenian soldier in a conversation with the journalists who arrived in
the Nagorno-Karabakh Republic from Yerevan. “During the war, our
volunteer detachments that later developed into a united army, in a
glorious way fulfilled their duty towards their motherland. Today,
when I often leave to the first line and see their eyes, bold voice,
their way of thinking and consciousness, frankly saying, I am
astonished, our young people are more than I expected.

We have a brilliant generation, which is natural, because every
generation must surpass the previous one, if you want to advance
further,” as reports “Armenpress”, said Archbishop Pargev Martirosyan,
who during the years of Artsakh heroic battle held a cross in the one
hand and a weapon in the other one.

According to Archbishop Pargev Martirosyan, during the last three
weeks the current generation proved the above mentioned by 100
percent, which is witnessed by the Armenian armed forces generals,
colonels, Artsakh war heroes. “We have a glorious generation,
exceptional young people, and I’m proud of them. I would call on them
to remain the same, as they are today,” emphasized the Archbishop,
thanking their parents who brought them up.

http://armenpress.am/eng/news/773674/generation-watching-armenia%E2%80%99s-border-surpasses-its-predecessors-artsakh-diocese-leader.html

Ombudsman wrote to UNHC on Karen Petrosyan’s murder in Azerbaijan

Armenia’s Ombudsman wrote letter to UN High Commissioner for Human
Rights on Karen Petrosyan’s murder in Azerbaijani captivity

17:46, 25 August, 2014

YEREVAN, AUGUST 25, ARMENPRESS. Human Rights Defender (Ombudsman) of
the Republic of Armenia Karen Andreasyan has sent a letter to the UN
High Commissioner for Human Rights Navi Pillay on the case of the
Armenian citizen Karen Petrosyan taken captive in Azerbaijan and
killed on the following day. As reports “Armenpress”, in his letter,
Andreasyan pareticularly said that the Azerbaijani side humiliated and
tortured Petrosyan, who obviously had mental problems, and presented
him as a saboteur. This was followed by Azerbaijan’s claims that Karen
Petrosyan “unexpectedly died from a heart failure”.

As 17 days passed since his death, Azerbaijani side has not returned
the body of Petrosyan in an attempt to hide the traces of torture,
Ombudsman wrote.

Andreasyan reminded of a tragic precedent – the death of shepherd
Manvel Saribekyan in Azerbaijan in 2010, as well as the case of
Mamikon Khojoyan who died soon after being released from captivity.

The letter says Azerbaijan’s Ombudswoman Elmira Suleymanova has not
expressed any position in connection with the murder of Karen
Petrosyan so far. Such behavior was expected, as the official has
welcomed the actions of Ramil Safarov.

“Torture against a captive is contrary to the norms of the
International Humanitarian Law, the provisions of the Geneva
Convention. I am urging not to remain indifferent and to condemn the
illegal actions of Azerbaijan, to facilitate the handover of Karen
Petrosyan’s body, as well as to assist a thorough, unbiased
investigation into the murder,” Ombudsman resumed.

http://armenpress.am/eng/news/773675/armenia%E2%80%99s-ombudsman-wrote-letter-to-un-high-commissioner-for-human-rights-on-karen-petrosyan%E2%80%99s.html

Russian MFA Confessed Who Killed Karen Petrosyan

Russian MFA Confessed Who Killed Karen Petrosyan

Haikazn Ghahriyan, Editor-in-Chief
Comments – 25 August 2014, 13:14

The spokesman for the Russia MFA has commented on the murder of Karen
Petrosyan of Chinari village who had been captivated and killed by
Azerbaijanis. “We are deeply sorry that human losses accompany the
unresolved conflict of Nagorno-Karabakh and not only during armed
clashes. We express our sincere condolences to the relatives of Karen
Petrosyan, as well as the other Armenians and Azerbaijanis who lost
their lives.”

Note that Azerbaijan immediately welcomed the statement of the Russian MFA.

The spokesman for the French MFA also commented on Karen Petrosyan’s
murder who condemned Azerbaijan. Earlier the U.S. had condemned. It
should be noted that this is the first time when the Minsk Group
members did not put a mark of equality between the conflict sides.

Russia could not keep silent. If it kept silent, the Russian-Armenian
friendship would be harmed. On the other hand, his strategic ally
Azerbaijan who had appeared in a difficult situation would turn its
back to Moscow and would not buy weapons. And as a Minsk Group
co-chair, Russia could not keep silent.

And now the Russian MFA has circulated this statement which puts a
mark of equality and actually justifies murder committed by
Azerbaijan, referring to “unresolved conflict of Nagorno-Karabakh” as
an excuse.

The point is that Karen Petrosyan’s showcase murder has nothing to do
with the “unresolved conflict of Nagorno-Karabakh” as Azerbaijan and
Russia present it. It is murder, and the international community has
clearly stressed this fact. Karen Petrosyan is not a victim of
military actions. Moscow and Baku are trying to fit this murder into
the war to justify the crime.

Putting a mark of equality means pushing for another crime,
guaranteeing that there will be no punishment. The statement of the
Russia MFA means this.

Moscow and Baku want to “resolve” the Karabakh issue the essence and
mechanism of which is the following: Azerbaijan, provoked by Russia,
causes tension at the borders after which Russia deploys troops in
Karabakh, returning it to Azerbaijan. Therefore, they have to resort
to any crime to weaken Armenians to turn to Moscow with a request.

However, the Armenians did not break down and delivered a powerful
strike to these plans, ruling out the entry of “peacekeepers” to
Karabakh. Besides, the Armenian side has expressed its clear position
on the return of Karen Petrosyan’s body, now allowing Moscow and Baku
to “dispose” of this crime referring to the war.

In fact, responsibility for all the victims of the “unresolved
conflict of Nagorno-Karabakh”, as well as the murder of Karen
Petrosyan is on Russia. This is the result of the centennial policy of
Russia the purpose of which was to create the state of Azerbaijan at
the expense of Armenians and the Armenian territories.

Now Russia has assumed sponsorship of Azerbaijan through all possible
means and in all aspects, including an equality mark beside murder.

Russia has no right to be a Minsk Group co-chair and mediate the settlement.

http://www.lragir.am/index/eng/0/comments/view/32885#sthash.2WrXvPQT.dpuf

Examination of poultry farms products reveal no serious violation of

Examination of poultry farms products reveal no serious violation of standards

YEREVAN, August 25 / ARKA /. A major examination of products of eight
largest poultry farms in Armenia, conducted by the State Food Safety
Service, did not reveal any serious violation of standards, the
chairman of the Union of Poultry Breeders Sergey Stepanyan said today.

Speaking at a news conference he said representatives of the State
Food Safety Service examined five types of products of the eight
largest poultry farms sold by major supermarkets to detect presence of
pathogens of intestinal diseases, but found none.

In comments on a recent detection of 10 tons of chicken meat delivered
to some kindergartens he said the meat was supplied as the product of
Alaverdi Poultry that does not exist at all. He said the meat was
brought to Armenia in all likelihood from abroad.

According to him, Armenian companies spend about $40 million each year
to buy chicken meat abroad and as much to keep them frozen. He said if
imported products were replaced by domestically made ones, that would
economize about $90 million a year. He said also local poultries have
paid this year around 1.3 billion drams in various taxes.

He noted that if a number of issues facing this industry, the largest
of which is production of feed, are resolved poultry meat
production could be increased by d 70% of the local consumption which
in turn will increase the amount of taxes paid by poultry farms by 5
times.

“In recent years, the annual growth in production of poultry meat was
about 2.5-3%, but in 2014 we expect it to increase by 10%, which will
allow us to export frozen poultry,” he said.

According to official numbers, Armenia imports about 32,000 metric
tons of poultry meat a year, while the local demand is some 40,000
tons. ($1 – 408.22 drams). -0-

http://arka.am/en/news/economy/examination_of_poultry_farms_products_reveal_no_serious_violation_of_standards/#sthash.UPLDPNno.dpuf

Young US-Armenian chess-player hits exceptional record

Young US-Armenian chess-player hits exceptional record

12:27 * 25.08.14

A young US-Armenian chess-player struck an unprecedented record after
winning grandmaster’s title for the third time.

Samvel Sevyan, 13, reached the exceptional result in an open
championship in Rockville. He thus became the first ever young chess
player in US to hit such a unique record, reports Armchess.am.

To obtain FIDE’s confirmation, Sevyan now needs to raise his rating to 2,500.

http://www.tert.am/en/news/2014/08/25/chess1/

Aznavour : << On ne discute pas avec les égorgeurs >>

Europe 1 – Chrétiens d’Orient
Aznavour : >

Ce matin sur Europe1, Thomas Sotto recevait Charles Aznavour,
préoccupé par le sort des chrétiens et des minorités au Moyen-Orient.

Il tire la sonnette d’alarme. Charles Aznavour est sorti de son
silence, lundi matin, sur Europe 1, pour évoquer le sort des chrétiens
et des minorités, actuellement massacrés en Irak ainsi qu’en Syrie,
par les soldats de l’Etat islamique. “Je suis préoccupé par cette
population qui est massacrable”, a-t-il expliqué au micro de Thomas
Sotto, en faisant aussi bien référence aux chrétiens qu’aux kurdes.
“Je suis sorti de mon silence il y a longtemps mais personne n’écoute,
ne répond.”

“On ne peut pas vivre en égoïste”

Pour le chanteur franco-arménien, il faut accueillir ces populations
afin de les sauver. “Prenez-en un chez vous ! Aidez-les à rentrer
quelque part ! Trouvez-leur un appartement !”, a-t-il appelé.

Le monument de la chanson française a estimé que cela pourrait être
une manière de repeupler les villages délaissés de France. “Oui, et
ces villages ont besoin d’être repeuplés ! La mairie existe toujours,
la Poste, l’Eglise est vide… On ne peut pas vivre comme ça, en
égoiste ! Il faut faire quelque chose”, a-t-il martelé.

“La France ne peut pas héberger toute la misère du monde”, avait
déclaré l’ancien Premier ministre Michel Rocard, à la fin de l’année
1989. Une phrase sur laquelle Thomas Sotto a fait réagir Charles
Aznavour : “Il a parfaitement raison mais ce n’est pas toute la misère
du monde, mais une misère du monde ! Elle est immédiate, on en a
besoin maintenant !”

Lire la suite voir lien plus bas

lundi 25 août 2014,
Jean Eckian (c)armenews.com

Karen Demirchyan Sports and Concert Complex prepared to assert its r

Karen Demirchyan Sports and Concert Complex prepared to assert its
rights before the European Court if needed

YEREVAN, August 25. /ARKA/. The management of Karen Demirchyan Sports
and Concert Complex in Yerevan intends to assert its in courts,
including the European Court of Human Rights, press secretary of the
complex Koriun Grigoryan told reporters on Friday.

Armenia’s government decided to take over the complex against
outstanding debt of the company at its meeting on August 21. The
company’s loan debt to the government is 10 billion 207 million drams
(about 25mln dollars); other liabilities bring the total debt to 10bln
400mln drams (25.5mln dollars).

Grigoryan said they expected the complex will be put up for a forced
sale several times to make its value drop to the debt size. He also
pointed to numerous violations of the laws. The company was also
refused to extend the operational term, despite the respective
provision in the contract, he said

“We are ready to pay off our debts if we are given a chance to extend
the operational term as per the contract”, Grigoryan said.

Another breach is that the staff was forced to leave the building, but
they should have been notified in advance instead and made leave only
in case of refusal to leave, he said.

The press secretary stressed the bailiff service took into account
only the cost of the area, but left out cultural and historical value
of the building, the investments made and the modernization done.

>From the beginning, the investor was has not been considering the
complex as a commercial project, but paid the price and invested $42
million instead of $10 million planned. The investor is ready to
operate the complex if the authorities give him a chance, Grigoryan
said.

“We will not be preventing the state services from doing their job,
but will not give up adjudicating our rights to achieve a fair verdict
on the issue”, Grigoryan said.

The writ of execution from the first instance court of Centre and
Nork-Marash districts said earlier the Sports and Concert Complex
closed joint stock company had to pay 10,207,755,909.51 drams (about
25 mln dollars) to the Republic of Armenia budget.

On April 15 2014 the bailiff service decided to commission an expert
evaluation. Experts assessed the property at 25.8 billion drams (about
63.3mln dollars), and the bailiff service made a decision on forced
sale through an online auction. The starting price was set at 75% of
the assessed value, i.e. at 19.35 billion drams (47.4mln dollars).

There are other proceedings for enforcement against the Sports and
Concert Complex worth a total of 511,992,968 drams.

Total area of the Complex is 46,335.7 square meters, without
additional premises and the swimming pool. There are 95,595.87 square
meters of dwelling area in the territory. The lot is a secured
property.

The complex was put up for a forced auction six times, but has not
been sold. No bid was offered on the last auction (ended on August 21)
either.

The Karen Demirchian Sports and Concert Complex was built in 1983. In
October 2005, the Complex was sold to Russia’s BAMO Holdings for $5.7
million. The company obliged to reconstruct the complex. The
reconstruction took almost three years and cost about $42 million.

The building is considered a “masterpiece” of later Soviet architecture. -0–

http://arka.am/en/news/society/karen_demirchyan_sports_and_concert_complex_prepared_to_assert_its_rights_before_the_european_court_/#sthash.IYOfTJBr.dpuf