Iran-Armenia Gas Main To Be Opened Late In March

IRAN-ARMENIAN GAS MAIN TO BE OPENED LATE IN MARCH

Arka News Agency, Armenia
March 13 2007

YEREVAN, March 12. /ARKA/. The Iran-Armenia gas main is to be opened
late in March, RA Deputy Foreign Minister Gegham Gharibjanyan told
ARKA.

"The official ceremony is scheduled for the end of March," Gharibjanyan
said.

The gas main was to be commissioned last December, but the process
was later postponed until this spring.

The construction project is estimated at $120mln. The construction
of the first 40km-long section, Meghri-Kajaran, got under way on
November 30, 2004. The section section, Kajaran-Sisian-Jermuk-Ararat,
is being constructed by the Iranian "Sanir" company.

At the initial stage Armenia will receive 300-400mln cubic meters of
gas from Iran annually, with the volume to be increased to 2.3bln
cubic meters. Under an Armenian-Iranian agreement, Armenia is to
receive a total of 36bln cubic meters of natural gas during 20 years.

The agreement may be prolonged, with the gas supply volume to be
increased to 47bln cubic meters.

Armenian Community Meets With Stephanie Dion

ARMENIAN COMMUNITY MEETS WITH STEPHANIE DION

armradio.am
12.03.2007 10:48

The Congress of Canadian Armenians held a reception in Montreal
to honour Stephane Dion, the new Leader of the Liberal Party of
Canada. The event was a resounding success, with over 100 invited
people present including many of the leaders and prominent members
of our community.

Mr. Dion, who has been a firm advocate for the recognition of the
Armenian Genocide and a friend and consistent supporter of the
Armenian community and of Armenian causes, was presented with a
plaque naming him an "honourary Armenian". At the end of his speech,
he expressed his appreciation for the warm welcome that he received,
and he read a brief statement of friendship in Armenian. He also had
an opportunity to circulate, talking to people about their concerns
and answering their questions.

In his comments, Mr. Dion said he is in favour of opening a Canadian
Embassy in Armenia, and he would like very much to see Armenian
candidates getting elected to the House of Commons.

This event was part of a series organized by the Congress of Canadian
Armenians, to meet with the leaders and key members of the major
political parties of Canada.

The Congress of Canadian Armenians is comprised of the following
participating organizations (in alphabetical order): AGBU Alex
Manoogian School, AGBU Montreal Chapter, Armenian Democratic Liberal
Party, Holy Cross Church of Laval, St. Gregory the Illuminator Church
of Montreal, S.D. Hunchakian Party, Society of Armenians from Istanbul,
Tekeyan Cultural Association.

Kars-Tbilisi-Baku railroad not to harm Armenia

PanARMENIAN.Net

Kars-Tbilisi-Baku railroad not to harm Armenia
09.03.2007 15:43 GMT+04:00

/PanARMENIAN.Net/ `From the economic viewpoint the
Kars-Akhalkalaki-Tbilisi-Baku cannot cause harm to Armenia, as we
already incur losses due to the blocked Armenian-Turkish border,’ RA
Foreign Minister Vartan Oskanian told a news conference in Yerevan. In
his words, the project creates unfavorable political atmosphere in the
region and this fact is much more regrettable. `Armenia’s position is
unchangeable. We are against this project,’ Oskanian said.

`As to Kazakhstan’s participation in the project, this state did not
display much optimism about the project last year. However, the
attitude might have changed. I’m not aware,’ the Minister said. The
project initiators may have financial problems if they want Kazakhstan
to join them, he added.

Address of the Armenian Patriarchate of Jerusalem

AZG Armenian Daily #044, 10/03/2007

Religious Controversies

ADDRESS OF THE ARMENIAN PATRIARCHATE OF JERUSALEM

Armenian Patriarchate of Jerusalem addressed the faithful of the
Armenian church on February 21, 2007 with the following message"

"Dear Faithful of the Armenian Church,

As the Armenian Community in Jerusalem prepares for Holy Week and the
Holy Fire Ceremony that takes place on Saturday of Holy Week (April 7,
2007), within the Tomb of Jesus Christ in the Church of the Holy
Sepulchre, we ask for your help in preserving the centuries-old Status
Quo rights of the Armenian Orthodox Church in Jerusalem, represented
by the Armenian Patriarchate of Jerusalem.

In 2003, conflict arose with the Greek Orthodox Church over this
Ceremony. They demanded a deviation from the Status Quo procedures
that give the Armenian Patriarch or his representative the right to
enter the Holy Tomb together. Appeals to the Israeli Government since
that time, including legal recourse, the rendering of expert testimony
and evidence, and negotiation with the Greek Orthodox Church have not
produced a clear decision. The Status Quo procedures for the Holy
Places have been in existence for hundreds of years and are anchored
in the Ottoman period.

We urge all of our Armenian brothers and sisters around the world to
e-mail and/or fax the petition below in their name, or in the name of
an organization, to the Ministers of the Israeli Government listed
below, or to their local Israeli Embassy or Consulate. Ask that this
issue be resolved before the day of the Holy Fire Ceremony on April 7,
2007, so that the centuries-old Status Quo rights of the Armenian
Orthodox Church in Jerusalem may be maintained. Your participation is
crucial."

The following message was sent to the Representatives of the Israeli
Government:

"Since 2003, there has been conflict between the Armenian Orthodox and
the Greek Orthodox Patriarchates over the Holy Fire Ceremony held in
the Church of the Holy Sepulchre on Holy Saturday of Easter Week. The
Greek Patriarchate demanded a deviation from the Status Quo procedures
that gives the Armenian Patriarch of Jerusalem or his representative
the right to enter the Holy Tomb together. Appeals to the Israeli
Government since that time, including legal recourse, the rendering of
expert testimony and evidence, and negotiation with the Greek Orthodox
Church have not produced a clear decision. The Status Quo procedures
for the Holy Places have been in existence for hundreds of years and
are anchored in the Ottoman period.

This year, the Holy Fire Ceremony in the Church of the Holy Sepulchre
is on April 7, 2007, I urge the Israeli Government to expeditiously
restore the centuries-old Status Quo rights of the Armenian
Patriarchate of Jerusalem as it was prior to 2003.

Divan of the Armenian Patriarchate of Jerusalem"

Week of NATO to be held in Armenia Mar 12-16

Week of NATO to be held in Armenia Mar 12-16

Arminfo
2007-03-09 12:14:00

NATO week will be held in Armenia Mar 12-16, Armenian Deputy FM Arman
Kirakossyan told journalists today.

The week will be held in the framework of Armenia-NATO
cooperation. The program of the week includes the demonstration of a
film about NATO on Armenian TV channels, the conduct of Armenia-Kosovo
TV bridge concerning the activities of Armenian peacekeepers in
Kosovo, visits by high-ranking NATO officials.

To note, Armenia has been cooperating with NATO under IPAP since 2005.

FDA recalls bottled water from Armenian co. Jermuk

Water Technology Online, NY
March 8 2007

FDA recalls bottled water from Armenian co.

WASHINGTON – The US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is advising
consumers not to drink bottled water brands from Jermuk, an Armenian
producer of mineral water, according to a March 8 United Press
International report.

Three brands of Jermuk water were shown to have arsenic levels of 500
to 600 micrograms per liter; this exceeds the FDA’s standard for
quality bottled water, which allows for no more than 10 micrograms of
arsenic per liter.

The water being recalled is packaged in green bottles that carry any
of these labels: "Jermuk Original Sparkling Natural Mineral Water
Fortified With Natural Gas From The Spring;" "Jermuk Sodium Calcium
Bicarbonate and Sulphate Mineral Water;" or "Jermuk, Natural Mineral
Water Sparkling."

Jermuk, which distributes its water internationally, has been in
business since 1951.

p;N_ID=66695

http://www.watertechonline.com/news.asp?mode=4&am

Le Quid Mis Hors De Cause Pour Une Presentation Controversee Du Geno

LE QUID MIS HORS DE CAUSE POUR UNE PRESENTATION CONTROVERSEE DU GENOCIDE ARMENIEN
Par Eloi Rouyer

Agence France Presse
7 mars 2007 mercredi

La cour d’appel de Paris a deboute mercredi le Comite de defense de
la Cause armenienne (CDCA) qui avait poursuivi le Quid, estimant
que la presentation du genocide armenien par le celèbre ouvrage
encyclopedique comportait des accents negationnistes.

Le CDCA a exprime l’intention de se pourvoir en cassation.

Rejoint par plusieurs associations, dont J’accuse et Memoire 2000, il
remettait en cause la presentation faite par le Quid 2003 du massacre
des Armeniens par la Turquie, estimant qu’elle aboutissait a nier le
caractère genocidaire de cet evenement historique.

Le CDCA reprochait notamment aux auteurs de l’ouvrage d’avoir
ecrit pour l’annee 1915: "Transfert d’Armeniens vers les province
meridionales de l’Empire ottoman (…) nombreux decès (epidemie,
maladie) pendant le voyage".

Dans son arret, la 11e chambre de la cour d’appel a estime que "la
simple relation de thèses +revisionnistes+" ne pouvait "engager la
responsabilite de celui qui, ne niant pas lui-meme la realite du
genocide armenien, ne prend pas parti sur le bien-fonde des opinions
visant a en contester la realite, ne les reprend pas a son compte et
n’entend ni legitimer la position turque sur la question armenienne,
ni lui donner du credit".

Pour la cour, "en se bornant a faire etat de la position du
gouvernement turc, sans la presenter comme la thèse privilegiee
avant d’operer un renvoi a la position armenienne sur cette question,
en rendant compte, dans les limites autorisees par un ouvrage où les
chiffres priment sur les mots, des differentes evaluations du genocide
des Armeniens de 1915 a la rubrique +Armenie+, les societes editrices
de Quid n’ont pas manque a leurs devoirs de prudence et d’objectivite
que les utilisateurs sont en droit d’exiger de cet outil".

Le president du CDCA, Harout Mardirossian, a annonce a l’AFP qu’il
allait former un pourvoi en cassation contre cet arret qui vient
contredire la position prise par le tribunal en première instance.

En effet, le 6 juillet 2005, la 17ème chambre du tribunal de
grande instance (TGI) avait condamne le Quid a payer un euro de
dommages-interets au CDCA et aux differentes associations qui
l’avaient rejoint.

A l’issue de l’audience, M. Mardirossian a fait part d’un "sentiment
de revolte qui gronde et qui va sans doute se propager a l’egard du
gouvernement et de la France car, par cet arret, on remet en cause
la memoire des victimes".

"Dire que le Quid n’a pas privilegie la position turque est une
aberration totale", a-t-il ajoute.

Du côte du Quid, on se rejouissait de la decision prise par la cour.

"Le debat d’idees sur comment doit etre presente un crime international
est legitime et necessaire", a d’abord souligne Me William Bourdon,
l’avocat de l’ouvrage.

"Mais il ne saurait y avoir de presentation judiciairement correcte
de ces crimes sauf a ouvrir une boîte de Pandore qui ferait des juges
les arbitres permanents de l’Histoire", a-t-il precise, ajoutant que,
"par ailleurs, la realite du genocide armenien n’etait pas contestee
par le Quid".

–Boundary_(ID_az7NkCFmxpYmUi0Lfg+WBg )–

1500 Turcs Attendus A Lausanne

1500 TURCS ATTENDUS A LAUSANNE

Le Matin
06 mars 2007 mardi
Edition Semaine

Les partisans de Dogu Perincek profiteront du procès lausannois pour
faire du bruit. Et diffuser leur credo negationniste le plus largement
possible. Rendez-vous est fixe a ce matin 8 h 30 sur la place de la
Riponne a Lausanne. Plusieurs centaines de militants turcs jusqu’a
1500, selon un organisateur , qui auront voyage toute la nuit en car
d’Allemagne, de France et d’Angleterre donneront de la voix. Dogu
Perincek viendra en personne les saluer avant d’entrer en audience.

Multiples conferences de presse, colloque dans un hôtel neuchâtelois
mercredi Le Comite Talaat Pacha (qualifie de "xenophobe et raciste"
par le Parlement europeen) a vu les choses en grand et diffuse son
programme en turc sur le site !

Arrive pour sa part en Suisse dimanche, Dogu Perincek a assure hier
après-midi au centre culturel turc de Renens (VD) qu’il faisait
"confiance a la justice suisse" pour conclure a l’absence de genocide
armenien. "Nous nous sommes bien prepares pour ce procès", a averti
l’accuse, flanque d’"une quarantaine d’avocats" pour la cause. Hier
soir deja, plus de 170 intellectuels turcs de haut rang avaient rallie
la Suisse par avion.

–Boundary_(ID_sHbx4zVujV+uypjQo8ftxw)–

www.lozan2007.org

The Government Tries To Ban The ‘Umbrella Commercials’

THE GOVERNMENT TRIES TO BAN THE ‘UMBRELLA COMMERCIALS’

Arminfo
2007-03-07 16:37:00

Armenian Government adopted the amendment to the law on advertisement
banning "umbrella commercials" of brands.

The so-called "umbrella commercials" (UC) is mostly focused against
producers of strong alcoholic drinks and tobacco products – which
advertise their products by means of the goods that do not have
advertising limits. Armenia’s Government says that companies using
UC can mislead consumers and harm health.

Works Launched In Turkey In Framework Of Kars-Tbilisi-Baku Railway

WORKS LAUNCHED IN TURKEY IN FRAMEWORK OF KARS-TBILISI-BAKU RAILWAY

PanARMENIAN.Net
06.03.2007 18:07 GMT+04:00

/PanARMENIAN.Net/ Turkish authorities have launched preparation
works of Kars-Akhalkalaki-Tbilisi-Baku railway project, Turkish
Ambassador to Azerbaijan Hussein Avni Karsioglu stated. The decision
of building a branch line has been made and the authorities began the
process of privatization of land under the construction and payment
of compensations to people who live along the way of construction,
"Trend" reports.