Report: Turkish court charges 8 of a gang, provoking armed rebellion

PR-Inside.com (Pressemitteilung), Austria
Jan 27 2008

Report: Turkish court charges 8 members of gang allegedly provoking
armed rebellion

ISTANBUL, Turkey (AP) – A court on Saturday charged eight members of
a so-called patriotic gang, including a former high-ranking military
officer, with provoking an armed rebellion against the government,
the private news agency Dogan said.
The crackdown follows a promise by Prime Minister Recep Tayyip
Erdogan to eradicate clandestine hardline nationalist groups who
allegedly target people they deem a threat to the country’s unity.
The group includes a retired brigadier general, Veli Kucuk, and a
nationalist lawyer who are accused of plotting to murder Nobel
literature prize laureate Orhan Pamuk as well as Kurdish politicians,
newspaper reports have said.
A court has issued a news blackout on the investigation into the gang
and officials would not comment on the arrests.
The accused were among dozens of people detained in police raids on
homes in Istanbul and other cities since Tuesday. Private CNN-Turk
television said previously that five other people had been arrested
in relation to the same investigation, but the report did not
elaborate. Some of those detained, including a prominent journalist,
have been released, Dogan said.
The crackdown was part of a widening investigation into dozens of
hand grenades seized at the home of a retired noncommissioned
military officer in Istanbul in June. The grenades, some of which
were made by a state-run factory, had been issued to the security
forces.
The suspects are allegedly members of a secretive gang called
«Ergenekon» that allegedly planned to create an «atmosphere of chaos»
by attempting to kill Pamuk and prominent Kurdish politicians, Sabah
newspaper reported this past week. Several other newspapers reported
the same.
They reportedly hoped that the chaos after the murders would provoke
a military coup that would topple the Islamic-rooted government of
Erdogan, which patriotic groups accuse of making too many concessions
to Christian and Kurdish minorities as part of the nation’s bid to
join the European Union.
Those charged include Kemal Kerincsiz, an ultra-nationalist lawyer
who gained notoriety for instigating a court case against Pamuk,
accusing him of the crime of insulting Turkishness. The case was
opened after the novelist told a Swiss newspaper «thirty-thousand
Kurds and one million Armenians were killed in these lands, and
nobody but me dares to talk about it.» Pamuk was prosecuted but the
case against him was later dropped.

Kerincsiz also launched court cases against ethnic Armenian
journalist Hrant Dink _ who was murdered a year ago _ and against
author Elif Shafak on the same charges.
Nationalists like Kerincsiz see comments such as those made by Pamuk
as a serious threat to Turkey’s unity, believing they aim to carve
the country into pieces.
Police reportedly moved against the group following intelligence that
the gang’s list of people to be assassinated was handed over to a hit
man, newspapers claimed. (AP)

Armenia Acquires Reliable Partner In Person Of Gazprombank, Chairman

ARMENIA ACQUIRES RELIABLE PARTNER IN PERSON OF GAZPROMBANK, CHAIRMAN OF BANK SAYS

Noyan Tapan
Jan 25, 2008

YEREVAN, JANUARY 25, NOYAN TAPAN. Gazprombank faces serious competition
in Armenia: the country’s banking system is developing rapidly,
in 2007 alone, branches of five foreign banks started operating in
Armenia. The RA president Robert Kocharian said this when receiving
Gazprombank’s chairman Andrey Akimov and the board chairman Farid
Kantserov on Janaury 25.

According to a press release of the RA president’s press service,
R. Kocharian stated that being quite liberal, the Armenian banking
legislation also envisages strict supervision of activities of banks.

Presenting the work of Gazprombank, A. Akimov said that it is one
of Russia’s largest banks, which makes considerable investments in
the economy along with carrying out banking activities. In his words,
the bank is not pursuing immediate goals in Armenia but it intends to
do serious work and has far-reaching goals and long-term programs. He
assured the Armenian president that Armenia acquires a realiable and
reasonable partner in the person of Gazprombank.

According To Vardan Khachatrian, Stable Bases Exist For Armenia’s Ec

ACCORDING TO VARDAN KHACHATRIAN, STABLE BASES EXIST FOR ARMENIA’S ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT

Noyan Tapan
Jan 24, 2008

YEREVAN, JANUARY 24, NOYAN TAPAN. The main economic indices of Armenia
in 2007 show that the country’s economic development has stable bases,
the RA minister of finance and economy Vardan Khachatrian said at
the January 24 press conference.

He underlined the importance of high economic growth indices in
conditions of macroeconomic stability. These indices are conditioned
by, among other factors, a balanced tax and budgetary policy in 2007.

The minister reminded that in 2007 economic growth made 13.8% in
Armenia – against the average economic growth of 12.6% in the past
three years. The growing investments also had an impact on this
economic growth: these investments made up 34.4% of GDP in 2007 (1
trillion 83 bln drams or 3 bln 166 mln USD) – against 33,6% in 2006 and
18.6% in 2000. The minister said that the economic growth is mainly
encouraged by contruction and service sectors, which contributed to
economic growth by 4.6% and 3.6% respectively in 2007.

It was mentioned that the consumer price index made 6.6% in December
2007 on the same period of 2006, while the average annual index made
4.4%. In 2000-2006, the annual inflation was mainly stable and did
not exceed 3.4%.

The minister announced that in 2007 the consumer price index in
Armenia was the lowest among CIS countries.

He added that in 2007 Armenia’s real GDP exceeded by 47% the 1989
level and threefold the 2000 level. By preliminary data, in 2007
nominal GDP made 3 trillion 140.4 bln drams or 981 thousand drams
(2.848.4 USD) per capita. In 2007 per capita GDP expressed in dollars
grew 3.3fold on 2003 and 4.8fold on 2000.

It was stated that in 2007 Armenia’s foreign trade growth made 40.7%
– against the average annual growth of 20.1% in 2000-2007. Foreign
trade grew 3.8fold in 2007 on 2000, exports – 4.1fold, foreign direct
investments – 3.6fold, with their amount making 4 bln 500.3 mln USD,
1 bln 218.5 mln USD and 375 mln USD respectively. In 2007, exports
grew by 23.7%, while imports grew by 49.7% – agaisnt the average
annual growth of 23.1% and 19.1% respectively in 2000-2007.

In the opinion of V. Khachatrian, there are good bases in Armenia
for continuing the efficient macroeconomic management, and the focus
mill be on ensuring a high sustainable economic growth in the medium
term, reduction of unemployment and maintaning a controllable level
of inflation.

Developoment Prospects Of Armenian Gem And Jewelry Industry Connecte

DEVELOPOMENT PROSPECTS OF ARMENIAN GEM AND JEWELRY INDUSTRY CONNECTED WITH "ALROSA"

Noyan Tapan
Jan 24, 2008

YEREVAN, JANUARY 24, NOYAN TAPAN. The development prospects of the
Armenian gem and jewelry industry are connected to cooperation with
Alrosa compamy (Russia), with the focus to be shifted from diamond
cutting to jewelry making where Armenia will have relative advantages,
the RA minister of trade and economic development Nerses Yeritsian
stated at the Janaury 23 press conference.

An agreement on cooperation in the gem and jewelry industry was signed
between Alrosa company and the Armenian government in late 2007. The
agreement envisages supplying Armenian companies with rough diamonds
by Alrosa through direct contracts – for their later sale to Russian or
Armenian jewelry making companies on the instructions of Alrosa OJSC.

The ministry’s monitoring showed that production of 43.2 bln drams
(about 126.3 mln USD) was made in Armenia in 2007, production of 38.4
bln drams was sold, that of 41.5 bln drams was exported. The sector
employs about 2 thousand people, whose average salary makes 64 thousand
drams. A complex program of the sector’s reforms is being developed.

Prime Minister Solved Problems On The Spot

PRIME MINISTER SOLVED PROBLEMS ON THE SPOT

KarabakhOpen
24-01-2008 12:40:54

On January 22 Prime Minister Ara Harutiunyan visited the villages
of Verin Horatagh, Harutiunagomer and Vaghuhas of the region of
Martakert. All the three villages had been occupied during the war and
destroyed by the Azerbaijani troops, the population had been displaced.

After liberation reconstruction was launched. During the visit
it became known that the most urgent problem remains housing, the
department of information and public relations of the government
reports.

Ara Harutiunyan stated that the government will build houses for
the families of killed soldiers, then the disabled of war and
underprivileged families. Others will also get assistance from the
government, the prime minister said. The government is likely to
provide long-term interest-free loans to families to reconstruct their
houses. This proposal was approved by the people of the communities.

The population of the three villages has grown despite housing
problems. In addition, there is no water supply in any of the
villages. In Verin Horatagh, for instance, people carry water from a
source which is outside the village. The prime minister promised to
help solve the problem of water.

It also became known that in the villages of Martakert people do not
work the land because of the shortage of machines. Another reason is
that most men of the village work for the copper factory of the Base
Metals and get a high salary and do not need to work the land.

The prime minister said this year the government is likely to provide
considerable assistance to farmers, including financial support,
fertilizers, extension. During the visit the prime minister solved
several problems on the spot, namely leasing of agricultural machines
for mechanization, the construction of the new school building in
Baghuhas and transmission of the Armenian and Russian TV channels.

Nobody Assumes Responsibility To Tell People About Real Settlement

NOBODY ASSUMES RESPONSIBILITY TO TELL PEOPLE ABOUT REAL SETTLEMENT

KarabakhOpen
22-01-2008 15:52:38

Recently the basic issues of a peace settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh
conflict have been discussed more often. Some time ago the OSCE Minsk
Group visited Stepanakert. Judging by NKR President Bako Sahakyan’s
statement, some points of this agreement do not correspond to the
interests of Karabakh. Consequently, the basic issues have not been
agreed on. The fate of people is at stake but people are unaware,
they only guess. They guess that may be the return of territories
and refugees is discussed. Nobody assumes the responsibility to tell
people about the reality.

The OSCE Minsk Group co-chairs stated they had extended a document
to the foreign ministers of Armenia and Azerbaijan, which contains
the basic issues of the settlement of the conflict. Ostensibly,
the points are the following: withdrawal of Armenian force from the
territories around the former autonomous region of Nagorno-Karabakh,
deployment of peacekeeping force, mine clearance and reconstruction,
return of refugees, referendum on independence in Karabakh in 15
years. The issues are highly sensitive.

Therefore, perhaps, they are not revealed.

"Maybe the co-chairs should nevertheless ask the people of Karabakh
what to return and what not to return, and whether it should be
returned. Do we need peacekeepers, which will probably include
conscientious "defenders" of peace? Let us remember Kosovo. Has
anyone thought about the impressive demographic indices, which will
become deciding after the return of the Azerbaijani refugees to
Karabakh? There would be a demographic explosion in Karabakh. What
about the Armenian refugees? They are also refugees, aren’t they? How
about mine clearance? It has already started, hasn’t it? If we agree
to those points, we will run into a deadlock, at least for another 70
years, or even a century. Does history repeat?" says Narine Stepanyan
from Stepanakert.

"Most sources of water of Karabakh are in Karvachar. Who thought of
returning this region? A person with a good sense would never sign
such a document. Does anyone worry about the physical security of
the people of Karabakh?" Anna Mnatsakanyan asks.

NKR Defence Minister: At Present There Is Only One Armenian War Pris

NKR DEFENCE MINISTER: AT PRESENT THERE IS ONLY ONE ARMENIAN WAR PRISONER IN AZERBAIJAN

arminfo
2008-01-21 09:41:00

ArmInfo. Nagornyy Karabakh Republic keeps to strict arrangements
regarding immediate returning of Azerbaijani army servicemen that
came over the Karabakh party, the NKR Defence Minister Movses Hakopyan
told journalists, as ArmInfo correspondent reports from Stepanakert.

He also added that after the relevant work with war prisoners they
are returned to their native land via the Red Cross International
Committee. At the same time Hakopyan worries about the attitude towards
war prisoners in Baku. He also said that there few cases when the NKR
Defence Army servicemen come over the Azerbaijani party. At present
there is only one Armenian war prisoner in Azerbaijan, which came
over the enemy party having served in the army for a week, and today
he does not want to come back to his native land.

A criminal case was initiated against him.

BAKU: Azerb. Appeals Int’l orgs to Assist in Compiling voter lists

TREND Information, Azerbaijan
Jan 20 2008

Azerbaijan Appeals International Organization to Assist in Compiling
list of Armenian Electors: CEC Head
20.01.08 12:44

Azerbaijan, Baku, 19 January / corr Trend E.Huseynli / The Central
Elections Commission (CEC) repeatedly appeals the international
organizations to assist in injecting the names of Azerbaijani
Citizens of Armenian origin residing in Nagorno-Karabakh in electors’
list.

The Azerbaijani citizens of Armenian origin like other nations
residing in Nagorno-Karabakh should be authorized with an election
right and Azerbaijan is prepared for it,’ Mazahir Panahov, the
chairman of the CEC, said on 20 January.

In connection with the presidential elections scheduled for October,
the elections lists are being clarified. Last year 4,218 electors
were registered in Khankandi constituency commission ¹122. There are
five constituencies in Khankandi. The final lists will be developed
by the end of April.

According to Panahov, it was decided to use the assistance of
international organizations in injecting the Azerbaijani citizens’
names in the electors’ list. He said that international organizations
take passive part.

Turkish Ultranationalists Try to Silence Prominent Canadians

Armenian National Committee of Canada
Comité National Arménien du Canada
130 Albert St., Suite/Bureau 1007
Ottawa, ON
KIP 5G4
Tel./Tél. (613) 235-2622 Fax/Téléc. (613) 238-2622
E-mail/courriel:national.office@anc-canad a.com

PRESS RELEASE

January 18, 2008
Contact: Kevork Manguelian

Turkish Ultranationalists Try to Silence Prominent Canadians

Toronto-The Turkish Government’s propaganda machine tried to intimidate and
silence many prominent Canadians who had come forth to make deputations
during the monthly meeting of the Toronto District School Board’s (TDSB)
program and services committee.

During the Jan. 16 meeting the TDSB committee provided an opportunity to two
Turkish representatives (Ozay Mehmet of the Council of Turkish Canadians,
and Lale Eskicioglu) and four Canadians (Prof. Frank Chalk, director of the
Montréal Institute for Genocide and Human Rights Studies; David Warner,
former Speaker of the Ontario Legislative Assembly; Leo Adler, prominent
criminal lawyer and human rights advocate; and Hon. Jim Karygiannis, MP) to
present their points of view on the board’s Grad 11 ‘Genocide: Historical
and Contemporary Implications’ curriculum.

The Turkish representatives protested the inclusion of the Armenian Genocide
in the curriculum. The prominent Canadians’ group praised the TDSB for its
moral fortitude, vision, and commitment to develop such a timely curriculum
and asked for the inclusion of the Armenian Genocide in the curriculum.

Mr. Warner read a letter signed by prominent Canadians from all walks of
life, urging the TDSB to "stand firm by its decision and not to be swayed by
politically-motivated pressure groups." Among the signatories were Stephen
Lewis, Gerald Caplan, Jack Layton, Bob Rae, Joy Kogawa, Amir Hassanpour,
Jacques Kornberg.

During the presentations of Chalk, Warner, Adler and Karygiannis,
ultranationalist Turks hackled the speakers and tried to stop them from
speaking. Several times committee chair, trustee Chris Bolton, was forced
to call for order and ask the Turkish representatives not to disrupt the
meeting.

After the meeting, members of the Turkish group approached some of the
pro-Genocide inclusion speakers and taunted them with abuse and profanities.
The scene was reminiscent of the trials of many righteous Turkish
individuals who in recent years have challenged the Turkish Government on
its denial of the Armenian Genocide and have been silenced under Article 301
of the Turkish penal code.

At the meeting, Aris Babikian, executive director of the Armenian National
Committee of Canada, tabled a petition in support of the curriculum. The
petition carried 2,643 signatures. Among the signatories were many teachers
from the TDSB system.

For the past two years the TDSB has been developing ‘Genocide: Historical
and Contemporary Implications’ curriculum for Grade 11 students. The course
comprises of three genocide case studies: the Armenian Genocide; the
Holocaust; the Rwandan Genocide, in addition to other cases of ethnic
cleansing and crimes against humanity.

The course has been approved by the Ontario Minister of Education. An
overwhelming majority of principals, teachers and program directors have
commended the TDSB for this timely project. They have also indicated that
they are eager to teach the program.

In the last two months the Turkish denial machine has launched a vicious
campaign of falsehood, misrepresentation, unsubstantiated accusations,
innuendo and revisionist historical discourse to persuade the TDSB to remove
the Armenian Genocide from the curriculum.

######

The ANCC is the largest and the most influential Canadian-Armenian
grassroots political organization. Working in coordination with a network of
offices, chapters, and supporters throughout Canada and affiliated
organizations around the world, the ANCC actively advances the concerns of
the Canadian-Armenian community on a broad range of issues.

Regional Chapters/Sections régionales

Montréal – Laval – Ottawa – Toronto – Hamilton – Cambridge – St.
Catharines – Windsor – Vancouver

www.anccanada.org

President stated that leadership of Yerevan did not impose bans

Armenian President stated that the leadership of Yerevan did not impose
bans for rallies and processions

January 18, 2008

Yerevan /Mediamax/. Armenian President Robert Kocharian stated today
that the realization of rallies and processions in rush hours within
the framework of the pre-election campaign `does not meet the interests
of the population of Yerevan’.

Mediamax reports that the President stated that the political figures
should `understand that’ and urged them to coordinate their actions
with the city authorities when planning such events.

Robert Kocharian noted that the leadership of the City Administration
made the corresponding address and urged the candidates for the
position of the President to demonstrate common sense and not to create
needless problems in the streets of the capital city.

The Armenian President stated that `all the remaining is the personal
business of the candidates, since the Yerevan leadership imposes no
bans and does not violate anybody’s constitutional rights’.