Aram Karapetyan Irritates Babukhanyan

ARAM KARAPETYAN IRRITATES BABUKHANYAN

A1+
[05:44 pm] 24 September, 2007

The condition of Hovhannes Galajyan, the editor of "Iskakan Iravunk"
newspaper, is gradually stabilizing.

Today he will be taken home, the editor-in-chief of "Iskakan Iravunk"
Hayk Babukhanyan informed A1+.

Babukhanyan also spoke of the rumors related to Aram
Karapetyan. According to Babukhanyan, they have got no information
or letter on the bargain under which Karapetyan should possess 25%
shares of "Zaruhi" Ltd.

Emanuel Margaryan, the press secretary of the New Times Party,
informed A1+ a few days ago that they had already submitted a letter
to the shareholders.

"We have got no letter. Moreover, we are surprised that Vigen Hakobyan
who had presumably sold the shares to Karapetyan, sent a letter to
Galajyan," Babukhanyan said.

"Everybody knows that Galajyan is at the resuscitation department
and it is inhumane to send him a letter, he added.

"I don’t understand one thing – Aram Karapetyan’s image is constantly
hovering around me. He became known due to my efforts. Such methods
are inadmissible for me," Babukhanyan said.

Ambassador Presents The Socrates International Award

AMBASSADOR PRESENTS THE SOCRATES INTERNATIONAL AWARD

Lragir.am
20-09-2007 15:10:43

On Thursday 20 September Ambassador Anthony Cantor visited the
Armenian State Agrarian University to present the Socrates
International Award to Dr Arshaluys Tarverdyan, Dean and professor of
the university. Dr Tarverdyan was granted this award by the Europe
Business Assembly, based in Oxford, UK, for his personal intellectual
contribution to the development of modern day society.

Bako Sahakian: we hope Karabakh’s stance will be taken into account

PanARMENIAN.Net

Bako Sahakian: we hope Karabakh’s stance will be taken into account
21.09.2007 16:40 GMT+04:00

/PanARMENIAN.Net/ Nagorno Karabakh should participate in peaceful
negotiations as full-right party, NKR President Bako Sahakian said. He
described the meeting with the OSCE MG Co-chairs as
positive. `Meetings of the kind will contribute to the OSCE MG
mandate, specifically to Karabakh’s joining the talks. Nagorno
Karabakh has its stand on the settlement and we are hopeful it will be
taken into account,’ Mr Sahakian underscored adding that Armenia is
the major guarantor of peace in the conflict zone.

NKR representatives took part in the talks until 1996. The delegation
was debarred at Azerbaijan’s urgent request to engage the so-called
Azeri community of NKR led by Nizami Bakhmanov in negotiations.
Then-president Levon Ter-Pertosyan’s `vague’ position on the issue was
another reason for NKR’s exclusion from the process. In 1998 Levon
Ter-Pertosyan handed in resignation.

Meeting of experts under Paris Pact over in Turkmenistan

Turkmenistan.ru, Turkmenistan

21.09.07 11:25

Meeting of experts under Paris Pact over in Turkmenistan

The three-day meeting of experts from the Caspian States and Caucuses
under the Paris Pact envisioning drug abuse and crime control
organized by the Government of Turkmenistan and the State Drug
Fighting Coordination Commission at the Cabinet of Ministers of
Turkmenistan has finished its work in seaside Turkmenbashi city.

According to the Turkmen State News Agency (TDH), during the Caspian
?round table? meeting concrete measures aimed at ensuring the
coordination of efforts of the world community in creating a reliable
system of control over spreading of drugs, psychotropic substances,
precursors, preventing their illegal production and turnover were
discussed.

The participants listened to the reports of Erjan Saka, UNODC resident
Coordinator in Turkmenistan, and James Callahan, UNODK Regional
Representative in Central Asia. The development of operational
strategies and action plans of regions and countries in this area was
reflected in the statement of the EC representative. Issues of
personnel training in fighting illegal drug trafficking presented by
the Russian and US experts were also discussed.

Reports of the heads of delegations of Armenia and Georgia on the
results reached in the frames of realization of the special South
Caucasian Anti-Drug Program (SCAD) were presented in the lst day of
the meeting. The presentation made by the European Commission was
devoted to the issues of development of international cooperation,
defining the priority goal and areas of joint actions of Eurasian
states, strengthening the capacity of countries of the Caspian region
and Caucuses in fighting the drug trafficking and drug abuse. The
representatives of Poland, Dublin Group for Eastern Europe,
Organization of the Collective Security Treaty, Interpol and OCSE also
touched upon these issues in their statements.

Turkish armed forces in Cyprus guarantee peace, Gul says

PanARMENIAN.Net

Turkish armed forces in Cyprus guarantee peace, Gul says
20.09.2007 18:23 GMT+04:00

/PanARMENIAN.Net/ Before returning to Ankara yesterday, after a two
day official visit to Northern Cyprus, newly elected Turkish President
Abdullah Gul delivered a speech in the Northern Cypriot Parliament,
responding to a recent declaration by Southern Cypriot leader Tasos
Papadopoulos in which he characterized the Turkish armed forces as the
"greatest enemy."

Gul noted yesterday that the presence of the Turkish armed forces on
the island mean peace and serenity for both the Turkish and Greek
sides. Gul also warned that neither Turkey nor its military would
accept "inappropriate declarations" that target their forces, Hurriyet
reports.

Marotta: Listen to words of our veterans

MetroWest Daily News, MA

Marotta: Listen to words of our veterans

By Terry Marotta, Gatehouse News Service
GHS

Fri Sep 21, 2007, 12:19 AM EDT

Ken Burns’s seven-part documentary "The War" starts Sunday night on
PBS’s and I can’t wait to watch it.

There is so much I still don’t understand about this second 20th
century cataclysm, which claimed an almost unimaginable 72 million
lives, when civilian and military deaths are taken together.

I also just finished reading Selected Chaff: the Wartime Columns of Al
McIntosh, which Ken Burns drew from to make this epic study and had
been looking forward to talking about it here – until something
amazing happened when I was visiting my own Uncle Ed.

Who turns 87 in a few weeks.

Who spent the bulk of his 39-month Army service in the South Pacific.

And who has never until now spoken more than a single sentence about
his time there.

I’d gone to his apartment this one day with one meal to eat with him
and a different meal to leave and was just rising to say my goodbyes
when he interrupted me.

"I have something for you," he said, and, cane in hand, began making
his slow way into a back bedroom from which he emerged holding a worn
three-ring binder."

"During my three-and-a half years in the war, I wrote pieces for "The
Hairenik Weekly", the Armenian newspaper. The clips are all in here."

Now I have known Uncle Ed since 1968 and in the last year especially
the two of us have grown very close; and yet I now see that in a way I
knew him not at all.

Even his name was different then because in ’42 when he joined up, his
family had not yet decided to change their name from the Haydostian to
the more Americanized Haydon.

I’d like to share portions of these dispatches written by young
Sergeant Haydostian, son of two people "from Asia Minor" as the paper
says, "born in 1920 and a graduate of the Boston Latin School."

In them he speaks only once about himself, saying "I look like an
Italian, a Jew, a Greek even an Arabian," then sets all personal talk
aside to report on what he saw and thought during the five separate
landings he and his brothers-in-arms made in the Allied effort to
drive back the Japanese armies.

"Water drips from every leaf, and lizards scramble about by the
dozens," one entry says, "and the ocean glistens in the sunlight."

"But what seemed from the landing vehicles to be waving palms are in
fact burned and lopped off in the middle. Enemy supplies and food lie
scattered and rotting. Fragments of planes strew the ground.

"Exploded shells are everywhere and the stench of death is keen in the
nostrils. Now a discarded helmet, holes in its sides (we think of a
blasted skull) now a jacket or shoe (where are their owners?)

"Episode and contrast," he ruminates.

"But let us return to this same beach from which we came.

"Let us go back down the hill to the shore and close our eyes to the
scenes of devastation there and open the recesses of our hearts to
what is also there:

"The water is deep blue in its depths and azure at its surface. The
rising sun skirts the billowed clouds and bathes all in brightness.

"What wonders we have seen and can recount as the years pass and the
world is at rest!"

But soldiers often do not recount their experiences, once they are
home. Uncle Ed certainly didn’t.

Ken Burns says he couldn’t have made this documentary 15 years ago
because the men were not yet ready to talk.

They are ready now, it seems. If we are wise, the rest of us will
listen.

Terry Marotta can be reached both at [email protected]

Azerbaijan Says Armenia Violated Truce

AZERBAIJAN SAYS ARMENIA VIOLATED TRUCE

The Associated Press
Sep 5, 2007

BAKU, Azerbaijan (AP) – A skirmish near the disputed territory
of Nagorno-Karabakh killed two Azerbaijani soldiers and three
Armenian troops, Azerbaijani officials said Wednesday. Authorities
in Nagorno-Karabakh denied the claim.

Azerbaijani Defense Ministry spokesman Ilgar Verdiyev said the incident
occurred Tuesday when Armenian forces fired on Azerbaijani positions
in the Agdam and Fizuli regions near the boundary of Nagorno-Karabakh.

Armenian military spokesman Senor Asratian in Nagorno-Karabakh denied
there had been any fighting.

The incident underscored mounting tension in the disputed territory,
which is officially in Azerbaijan but has been controlled – along
with some surrounding areas – by local and Armenian forces since 1994.

Nagorno-Karabakh has been governed by a shaky cease-fire agreement
that ended a six-year separatist war in 1994.

Some 30,000 people were killed and about 1 million driven from their
homes during the fighting. Ethnic Armenians now account for virtually
the entire population of the territory.

Nagorno-Karabakh held presidential elections in July, which Azerbaijan
has rejected as illegitimate.

TBILISI: With Winter Approaching, Georgia’s Na

WITH WINTER APPROACHING, GEORGIA’S NATURAL GAS SUPPLY STILL UNSURE
By M. Alkhazadhvili, translated by Diana Dundua

Messenger.ge
Tuesday, September 18, 2007, #177 (1444)
Georgia

During the summer, Georgia’s natural gas needs are met with Azerbaijani
supplies and tariffs from Russian gas in transit to Armenia. In winter,
however, demand naturally spikes as residents turn on the heating.

Winter heating crises are becoming routine for Georgia, and the
government is still trying to find any source of natural gas that
isn’t Russian.

Russia’s Gazprom raised prices on Georgia last winter from USD 110
per thousand cubic meters to USD 235.

As of this spring, Georgia imports daily 1.3 million cubic meters
of natural gas from Azerbaijan’s state gas company for USD 120 per
thousand cubic meters, and 1 million cubic meters of Shah Deniz gas at
USD 63 per thousand cubic meters as part of the Baku-Tbilisi-Erzerum
(BTE) gas pipeline deal.

According to the newspaper Rezonansi, Georgia also gets ten
percent-about 700 000 cubic meters a day-of the Russian gas shipped
to Armenia via the North-South pipeline as a transit tariff.

That won’t be enough for winter. The government has maintained that
winter needs can be met with more natural gas from Azerbaijan’s Shah
Deniz field, which is sent westwards through the BTE pipeline.

Negotiations to obtain 800 million cubic meters of natural gas from
the Turkish quota failed, however.

Greece walked away with the buying rights for part of the Turkish
natural gas quota, paying USD 149 per thousand cubic meters.

Some analysts criticized the Georgian delegation for not securing a
deal and pointed out that the obvious alternative supplier, Russia’s
Gazprom, charges USD 235 per thousand cubic meters. A more attractive
offer than that proposed by Greece could have sealed the deal for
Georgia, they said.

Without securing the Turkish deal, the math will likely require some
Russian supply to add up to winter consumption rates.

KazTransGaz-the parent company of Tbilisi distributor TbilGazi-has
stated it will not refuse to use Russian as a supplier. Company
officials, however, have floated the possibility of instead turning
to Iran

Elections Will Not Freeze The Talks

ELECTIONS WILL NOT FREEZE THE TALKS

Lragir.am
17-09-2007 20:48:26

The French co-chair of the OSCE Minsk Group Bernard Fassier stated
September 17 the co-chairs do not think the presidential elections
in Armenia and Azerbaijan in 2008 will bring about a halt in the talks.

He said the meetings of presidents will not be as frequent as before,
but the co-chairs will be visiting the two capitals regularly, and
therefore the talks will not stop.

Armenian Prosecutor General Office To Set Unit For Combating Corrupt

ARMENIAN PROSECUTOR GENERAL OFFICE TO SET UNIT FOR COMBATING CORRUPTION

ARKA
13 Sept 2007

YEREVAN, September 13. /ARKA/. Armenian Prosecutor General’s Office is
to set a unit for combating corruption among high-ranking officials
and MPs, Armenian Prosecutor General Aghvan Hovsepyan said Thursday
in National Assembly.

He said this will be an independent agency functioning under his
control. This move has been initiated by lawmakers.

"All cases regardless of where they were investigated – in police,
national security, customs or tax agencies will be under Prosecutor
General Office’s control. The entire world makes the same", Hovsepyan
said.

A group of 20 investigators will work in this institution.

Hovsepyan said that the head of the agency will be nominated by the
prosecutor general and appointed by the president.

He said this unit will deal only with criminal cases related to law
enforcement officers.

"It would be better to specify the types of cases subject to
investigation by this office. But the prosecutor general have a right
to send any case to this agency, if it prompts public reaction",
Hovsepyan said.

National Assembly Deputy Speaker Vahan Hovhannisyan said MPs will
compose the list of these crimes.