Sacrifice for the Sake of Fashion

A1+

SACRIFICE FOR THE SAKE OF FASHION
[05:56 pm] 29 January, 2007

Young Armenian girls often turn to doctors nowadays
and are given the diagnosis of «victim of fashion».

The «sacrifice» in connected with clothes. Because of
short jackets and low-cut jeans the young organism
cannot stand the cold. The modern «fashion» results in
many illnesses including those of the kidneys.

Gynecologists often speak about this problem too.
«Catching cold is dangerous for all the organs
including the ovaries. The latters are very sensitive
and cold can cause serious damage to their functions
resulting even in sterility», says gynecologist Nelli
Abgaryan.

She mentions that nowadays more and more young girls
visit the doctors, `In my opinion catching cold is one
of the reasons of this’.

Genocide Awaits Us

National Review Online Blogs, NY
Jan 29 2007

Genocide Awaits Us
The U.N. and Iran.

By Anne Bayefsky

On this anniversary of the liberation of the Nazi death camp of
Auschwitz, the United Nations is making a show of its concern for
genocide by holding the `International Day of commemoration in memory
of the victims of the Holocaust.’ Nothing could be further from
reality. In fact, the U.N. provides sustenance for the Iranian
genocidal threat, which is directed at Israel now, and America next.

`They vanished from the Earth…’ is how Armenian-French singer Charles
Aznavour described the Armenian genocide, in which one and a half
million people are reported to have died at the hands of Turkish
authorities beginning in 1915. There was no U.N. then, and no U.N.
resolution addressing the Armenian genocide ever since. Is it simply
over? It is for Hrant Dink, the editor of Turkey’s main
Armenian-language newspaper, who questioned Turkey’s continuing
silence about the genocide and was shot dead in Istanbul last week.

It is also over for the 200,000 men, women, and children whom the
U.N. failed in Bosnia-Herzegovina starting in 1992. It is over for
the 800,000 that the U.N. abandoned in Rwanda in 1994. It is too late
for the 500,000 already dead in Darfur, where thousands more perish
every month while the U.N. continues to ruminate.

`The women fell as well, and the babies they tended, left to die,
left to cry, all condemned by their birth’ – the powerful words of
Aznavour seek to wake us from our slumber. Instead, we watch the
travesty of a United Nations driven by an expansionist greed.
Claiming more every year from American taxpayers already paying 5.3
billion annually, it simultaneously provides a mouthpiece for Iranian
nihilism.

Former CIA director James Woolsey recently reminded us in his
testimony before the House Committee for Foreign Affairs that `the
Iranian regime does not restrict itself to hideous speech,’ itemizing
the Americans murdered by Iran and its proxies. He warned that `Iran
has now begun a Shiite-Sunni nuclear arms race in this volatile
region’ and that the time frame for Iranian acquisition of their
chosen instrument of genocide could at any time accelerate through
North Korean aid.

Newt Gingrich has also repeatedly tried to sound alarm bells, most
recently at a conference in Israel last week: `Enemies are explicit
in their desire to destroy us. We are sleepwalking through this… We
should take our enemies at their word. Ahmadinajed is…explicit
regarding his intentions…the American people need to realize that
their lives are at stake…’

Where is the U.N. now, while genocide beckons and Aznavour’s words –
`they fell like rain…all in vain…for no one heard their prayers’ –
become more haunting every day? U.N. International Atomic Energy
Chief Mohamed ElBaradei, whose job it is to prevent nuclear
proliferation, told the Davos crowd on January 25 that the problem is
the United States and the possibility of a toughened stance against
Iran. Said ElBaradei: even `talk of military action can only
backfire…[because] this strengthens the hands of those in Iran who
say `let’s develop a bomb to protect ourselves.” This is the U.N.
theater of the absurd. Unprovoked, Iran threatens to destroy our way
of life, but if we react by promising to protect ourselves, we
justify the enemies’ lie that it is acting in self-defense.

Astonishingly, though this performance may be our last, we are poised
to buy yet another ticket. Senator Coburn is conducting a lonely
battle to deny the latest U.N. grab for another fistful of American
dollars, this time to finance the expansion of U.N. headquarters in
New York City. The renovation costs will be in the neighborhood of
two billion dollars – many times the amount that developer Donald
Trump says can be justified.

Most disturbingly, however, we are not only paying for the architect
of our intended demise; we are acting as its p.r. firm. President
Bush told the nation in his State of the Union Address `The United
Nations has imposed sanctions on Iran, and made it clear that the
world will not allow the regime in Tehran to acquire nuclear
weapons.’ Actually, the U.N. sanctions regime is a pathetic fig leaf
– the Russian and Chinese votes having been bought by gutting the
original U.S. resolution – and the U.N. has never made it clear that
Tehran will not be allowed to acquire nuclear weapons.

More accurately, when it comes to Iran, the U.N. treads lightly and
carries an even lighter stick. On Friday, the U.N. General Assembly
adopted a resolution which `condemns…any denial of the Holocaust.’ It
doesn’t mention Iran by name, nor contain the word `Jew’ or
`anti-semitism’ – any one of which would certainly have made its
adoption much more difficult, if not impossible. The resolution was
cosponsored by 103 U.N. states. That leaves 89 – including every Arab
state – refusing to cosponsor. It also leaves the U.N.’s lead
human-rights agency, the Human Rights Council, dedicated to the
continuing demonization and demise of the Jewish state. And it stands
side-by-side with the U.N. Department of Public Information opening
an exhibit today entitled `The Holocaust against the Roma and Sinti.’
Despite this being only the second anniversary of the U.N. day of
commemoration, the U.N. has already used the undoubted suffering of
others – deserving of attention – as a backdoor to deny the
uniqueness of the Holocaust as the unparalleled annihilation of six
million Jews.

As has documented, in 2006 the U.N. system
condemned Israel for violating human rights more than any other
country on earth. At fourth place in the list of countries subject to
most U.N. human-rights condemnation in 2006 is the United States. In
the past year, the U.N condemned the United States for human-rights
violations more frequently than it did Iran. This is the U.N. siren
call luring us ever closer towards Iranian nuclear armament.

`In agony and fright, with courage on their faces, they went in to
the night, that waits for every man.’ Will we too vanish from the
earth? For genocide awaits us if we wait for the U.N.

– Anne Bayefsky is a senior fellow at the Hudson Institute and at
Touro College Law Center. She is also editor of

MjkzYTA4NmExZWFkMDIwYWRjMTY0Nzk

http://article.nationalreview.com/?q=YWE1ODQ3YzQ4
www.EYEontheUN.org
www.EyeontheUN.org.

NK DM Spreads its Official Statement Only Through Interfax

NAGORNO KARABAKH DEFENCE MINISTER SPREADS ITS OFFICIAL STATEMENT ONLY
BY MEANS OF INTERFAX

STEPANAKERT, JANUARY 25, NOYAN TAPAN. The Press Center of the Defence
Ministry of Nagorno Karabakh does not consider necessary to spread its
official statements with the help of local or Armenian press. As the
Noyan Tapan correspondent was informed by the NKR Ministry’s Press
Center, the NKR Defence Ministry’s Press Center gave the information
on January 23 only to its own correspondent of the Interfax agency,
and responding the question why it is done in that way, the
representative of the NKR Defence Ministry’s Press Center answered
that "the Ministry spread its statement by means of its own canals."

Independent Economist Says Elections Will Not Affect Economic Growth

Armenpress

INDEPENDENT ECONOMIST SAYS ELECTIONS WILL NOT AFFECT
ECONOMIC GROWTH

YEREVAN, JANUARY 26, ARMENPRESS: An independent
economist downplayed today fears that next
parliamentary elections, slated tentatively for May
12, may have a negative impact on the country’s
economy.
Eduard Aghajanov, a vocal critic of the
government’s economic policies, cited the official
numbers of 2003, when Armenia had successful
presidential and parliamentary elections in less than
three months, according to which the economy grew
almost 14 percent.
But he predicted a wider gap between exports and
imports, saying this will be concomitant to ongoing
economic growth. "The gross domestic product is
supposed to amount this year to $82 billion, which is
not a barrier to a country like Armenia, but this may
be achieved given a real and effective crackdown on
shadow economy," Aghajanov stressed, adding that even
a 10 percent cut would be a success.
Aghajanov said also money remittances from
Armenians working abroad, which spur up consumption
here, account for about 40 percent of GDP growth.

Armenian Tax Service Publishes List of 300 Biggest Tax Payers in 06

ARMENIAN TAX SERVICE PUBLISHES LIST OF 300 BIGGEST TAX PAYERS OF
ARMENIA IN 2006

Yerevan, January 27. ArmInfo. The Tax Service of Armenia has published
the list of 300 biggest tax payers of Armenia in 2006.

The leader os Zangezour Copper and Molybdenum Factory, who paid
32.8bln AMD. The second is ArmenTel – 20.5bln AMD. The third is
Armrosgazprom – 13.7bln AMD. The fourth is K-Telecom – 9.4bln
AMD. Flash paid 6.7bln AMD. Among the top 20 are also Electric
Networks of Armenia, Grand Tobacco, Armenian NPP, Yerevan Brandy
Company, Armenia Lada, Mika Armenia Trading.

It should be noted that the biggest cement producer in Armenia Ararat
Cement paid in taxes less than Armpost, who had the smallest profit
last year.

PACE called for additional measures for effectively protecting journ

PACE called for additional measures for effectively protecting journalists’ lives

PanARMENIAN.Net
26.01.2007 13:59 GMT+04:00

/PanARMENIAN.Net/ PACE calls for parliamentary investigations into the
unresolved murders of journalists and announces a specific monitoring
mechanism. While underlining the importance of Article 10 of the
European Convention on Human Rights for the protection of media freedom
throughout Europe, the Council of Europe Parliamentary Assembly (PACE)
today called for additional measures for effectively protecting the
lives and freedom of expression of journalists. The Assembly called
on the Russian Parliament to closely monitor the progress of the
criminal investigation into the murder of Anna Politkovskaya and to
hold the authorities accountable for any failure to investigate or
prosecute. It also asked the Turkish Parliament to abolish Article
301 of the penal code on the "denigration of Turkishness". As regards
the murder of Ukrainian journalist Georgiy Gongadze, the Assembly
expressed concern at the lack of progress in the investigation,
reports the Parliamentary Assembly Communication Unit.

Flowers on Jan 24 Instead of April 24/Video/

FLOWERS ON JANUARY 24 INSTEAD OF APRIL 24 /video/

A1+
[06:26 pm] 24 January, 2007

Thousands of people went to the streets today to pay tribute to the
memory of Hrant Dink, Turkish-Armenian writer killed on January 19 in
Turkey. People walked from Shahoumyan square towards Tsitsernakaberd,
with Dink’s photo and posters in their hands. The mourning march was
mostly silent. Nevertheless, several posters said, "Recognition of
the Armenian Genocide is the only way of Turkey into the EU".

Today’s mourning march was organized by the Yerevan municipality. The
march was headed by deputy mayor Kamo Areyan, Head of the writers’
union Levon Ananyan, writer Zori Balayan, and a number of politicians.
Residents of the regions, pupils, teachers and simply passers by joined
the march. By the way, for those who could not walk, the municipality
had sent busses to the Shahoumyan square.

As for why Tsitsernakaberd, the participants of the march are sure
that "Dink is 1 500 001st victim of the Genocide". They put flowers
to the eternal fire honoring the memory of not only the victims of
the 1915 Genocide, but also that of Hrant Dink./video/

[iso-8859-1] Robert Kocharian Receives Orthodox People’s Unity Inter

Robert Kocharian Receives Orthodox People’s Unity International Foundation Award

PanARMENIAN.Net
22.01.2007 17:00 GMT+04:00

/PanARMENIAN.Net/ January 21 a solemn awarding ceremony of the Orthodox
People’s Unity International Foundation for "Outstanding activities
for consolidation of unity of orthodox nations" took place in Moscow,
reports the Moscow Patriarchy press office.

The awarding ceremony was lead by Patriarch of Moscow and All Russia
Alexi II. This year the awards were handed to

-Armenian President Robert Kocharian for the contribution to the
development of the church-state relations;

-UN 6th Secretary General Butros-Butros-Gali for prominent personal
contribution to the promotion of Christian spiritual values;

-Gazprom Russian company for assistance in renaissance of the Russian
Orthodox Church and other churches throughout the globe.

The Armenian President is awarded as a consistent and active adherent
to extension of Christian influence within the modern society.

PACE winter session opens in Strasbourg.

PACE winter session opens in Strasbourg.

ITAR-TASS, Russia
Jan 22 2007

STRASBOURG, January 22 (Itar-Tass) — The situation in Kosovo and the
rights of children are on the top of the agenda of the winter session
of the Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe (PACE), which
opened here on Monday.

According to the information of PACE President Rene van der Linden,
the agenda of the session includes as well problems of energy security
and monitoring reports on North Ossetia (Alania) and Armenia. The
problem of the threat to the life and freedom of journalists will be
discussed at an urgent debate.

The parliamentary delegations of Armenia and Azerbaijan are going
to meet at the PACE session for discussing the Nagorno-Karabakh
conflict. The OSCE Minsk Conference is working to promote its
settlement.

Police: 2 Confess in Journalist Killing

Police: 2 Confess in Journalist Killing
By BENJAMIN HARVEY

Associated Press
Jan 22 2007

ISTANBUL, Turkey – A nationalist militant convicted of bombing a
McDonald’s restaurant in 2004 has confessed to inciting the killing
of an ethnic Armenian journalist last week, police said Monday.

Yasin Hayal told police he provided a gun and money to the teenager
who is suspected of carrying out Friday’s shooting, the Hurriyet
newspaper reported, citing police records.

The teenager, Ogun Samast, was arrested over the weekend along
with several other people and has confessed to fatally shooting the
journalist, according to a chief prosecutor.

Police confirmed the confession, but gave no details.

Police Chief Celalettin Cerrah of Istanbul said Monday that the
suspect was linked to Hayal.

If accurate, Hayal’s reported statements to police would be a strong
indication that the journalist, Hrant Dink, was targeted because of
his public statements on the mass killings of Armenians by Turks
in the early 20th century, one of the nation’s most sensitive and
divisive issues.

Istanbul Gov. Muammer Guler said prosecutors were still investigating
whether the suspect was linked to any organization, although Police
Chief Celalettin Cerrah had said earlier that there was "no political
or organizational dimension" to the slaying.

Dink, the 52-year-old editor of the Turkish-Armenian newspaper Agos,
had made public his view that the killings amounted to genocide.

Nationalists consider such statements an insult to Turkey’s honor
and a threat to its unity, and Dink had been showered with insults
and death threats.

Dink was gunned down outside his newspaper’s office in Istanbul on
Friday _ a killing that has drawn attention to the precarious state of
freedom of expression in a country vying for European Union membership.

Turkey has no diplomatic ties with Armenia but still invited Armenian
officials and religious leaders as well as moderate members of the
diaspora to the funeral on Tuesday.

The Vienna-based International Press Institute said the killing was
"a terrible event for Turkish press freedom." It urged Turkey to
eliminate its laws inhibiting dialogue about the Armenian killings,
as well as those that make insulting Turkishness a crime.

Police took Samast, who is 16 or 17, to the crime scene late Sunday
and prosecutors asked him to describe how he killed Dink, the Anatolia
news agency reported on Monday. A small crowd of onlookers shouted
at the suspect, "We’re all Hrants. We’re all Armenians!"

Hayal was convicted in the bombing of a McDonald’s restaurant in
Trabzon in 2004 that injured six people. He was released after serving
more than 10 months in prison. At the time, police could not establish
a link between Hayal and any underground groups, and his motive was
never clear.

Turkey’s relationship with its Armenian minority has long been haunted
by a bloody past. Much of its once-influential Armenian population
was killed or driven out beginning around 1915 in what an increasing
number of nations are calling the first genocide of the 20th century.

Turkey acknowledges that large numbers of Armenians died but vehemently
denies it was genocide, saying the overall figure is inflated and
the deaths occurred in the civil unrest during the collapse of the
Ottoman Empire.

Associated Press writers Suzan Fraser and Selcan Hacaoglu in Ankara
contributed to this report.