Armenia To Seek International Condemnation Of Desctruction Of Armeni

ARMENIA TO SEEK INTERNATIONAL CONDEMNATION OF DESTRUCTION OF ARMENIAN MONUMENTS IN AZERBAIJAN

Armenpress
Jan 09 2007

YEREVAN, JANUARY 9, ARMENPRESS: Foreign minister Vartan Oskanian said
today one of the foreign policy priorities this year will be to seek
international condemnation of destruction of Armenian monuments,
particularly, of a medieval cemetery in neighboring Azerbaijan’s
exclave Nakhichevan.

The government launched last year a traveling photo exhibition of
destruction of monuments at this ethnic Armenian cemetery.

The monuments in question are intricate stone-carved crosses in the
cemetery at Jugha – alternately known as Julfa – in Nakhichevan,
an exclave wedged between Armenia and Iran and Turkey.

Azerbaijani soldiers have systematically destroyed the crosses. Photos
supporting the claim were shown in Strasbourg, France, and will be
moved to a new city every two months.

Oskanian said today Armenian diplomats will work to have the Council
of Europe, UNESCO and other international organizations to condemn
this barbaric acts.

Armenian Genocide Resolution Likely To Be Adopted In Congress

ARMENIAN GENOCIDE RESOLUTION LIKELY TO BE ADOPTED IN CONGRESS

PanARMENIAN.Net
08.01.2007 15:50 GMT+04:00

/PanARMENIAN.Net/ The possibility of discussion and adoption of the
Armenian Genocide resolution in the U.S. Congress is big enough,
ARF Bureau’s Hay Dat and Political Office Director Kiro Manoian
told a PanARMENIAN.Net reporter. In his words, the resolution
will be submitted for discussion after numerous consultations with
Congressmen. "The possibility of adoption is big enough and we work
in this direction.

As to Turkey’s reaction on the possible adoption, I think this country
exaggerates its capabilities and weight in the U.S. America is not
France and the Turkish government has no instruments of influence
here. Relations between the U.S. and Turkey cannot be a decisive
factor in Armenian Genocide recognition issue.

7 years ago, at the times of President Clinton, an attempt to pass an
Armenian Genocide resolution was taken but the Republican congressional
majority blocked its adoption. Presently, Nancy Pelosi, the Speaker of
the House of Representatives stands for the adoption of the resolution.

A Show Trial and a Show Execution

A Show Trial and a Show Execution
Saturday, December 30, 2006 by _The Nation_ ()

by John Nichols

Convicted in a show trial that certainly appeared to have been timed
to finish on the eve of last month’s US elections, Iraqi President
Saddam Hussein was hanged in a show execution that just as certainly
seems to have been timed to be carried out before the end of the worst
year of the Iraq War.

Hussein was a bad player — a totalitarian dictator who, with tacit
approval from the U.S. and other western nation during the 1980s,
killed his own people and waged a mad war with Iran. He needed to be
held to account. But even bad players deserve fair trials, honest
judgments and justly-applied punishments. The former dictator got none
of these.

According to _Human Rights Watch_
( ) , which has a long and
honorable history of documenting and challenging the abuses of
Hussein’s former government, the execution early Saturday morning
followed "a deeply flawed trial" and "marks a significant step away
from respect for human rights and the rule of law in Iraq." "The test
of a government’s commitment to human rights is measured by the way it
treats its worst offenders," says Richard Dicker, director of Human
Rights Watch’s International Justice Program. "History will judge
these actions harshly."

For fifteen years, Human Rights Watch had demanded that Hussein be
brought to justice for what the group has rightly described as
"massive human rights violations." But the group argues that Hussein
was not brought to justice.

In addition to objecting at the most fundamental level to the use of
the barbaric practice of state-sponsored execution–which is outlawed
by the vast majority of the world’s nations–Human Rights Watch notes
that Hussein was killed before being tried for some of his most
well-documented acts of brutality.

The group notes the trial that did take place was fundamentally
flawed. A niney-seven-page _report_
( 20/iraq14589.htm) by Human
Rights Watch, issued late last month, details the severe problems with
the trial. The report, based on close monitoring of the prosecution of
the former president, found that:
* "(The) Iraqi High Tribunal was undermined from the outset by
Iraqi government actions that threatened the independence and
perceived impartiality of the court."
* The Iraqi administrators, judges, prosecutors and defense
lawyers lacked sufficient training and expertise "to fairly and
effectively try crimes of this magnitude."
* The government did not protect defense lawyers–three of whom
were killed during the trial–or key witnesses.
* "(There were) serious flaws in the trial, including failures to
disclose key evidence to the defense, violations of the defendants’
right to question prosecution witnesses, and the presiding judge’s
demonstrations of bias."
* "Hussein’s defense lawyers had 30 days to file an appeal from
the November 5 verdict. However, the trial judgment was only made
available to them on November 22, leaving just two weeks to respond."

The report did not study the appeals process, But the speed with which
the tribunal’s verdict and sentence were confirmed suggests that the
Iraqi Appeals Chamber failed to seriously consider the legal arguments
advanced by Hussein’s able–if violently harassed–legal team.

"It defies imagination that the Appeals Chamber could have thoroughly
reviewed the 300-page judgment and the defense’s written arguments in
less than three weeks’ time," said Dicker. "The appeals process
appears even more flawed than the trial."

There will, of course, be those who counter criticism of the process
by pointing out that Saddam Hussein did not give the victims of his
cruel dictates fair trials or just sentences. That is certainly true.

But such statements represent a stinging indictment of the new Iraqi
government and its judiciary. With all the support of the United
States government, with massive resources and access to the best legal
advice in the world, with all the lessons of the past, Iraq has a
legal system that delivers no better justice than that of Saddam
Hussein’s dictatorship.

This is the ugly legacy of the US invasion and occupation of Iraq: An
awful mess of a country that cannot even get the trial and punishment
of deposed dictator right, a justice system that schedules the taking
of life for political and propaganda purposes, a thuggishly brutal
state that executes according to whim rather than legal standard.

According to Britain’s Telegraph newspaper, "There was no comment from
the White House, which was determined that the execution should appear
to be an Iraqi event." The central role played by the US government in
the process was not lost on the Telegraph, however, as the newspaper
noted that: "the transfer of Saddam from American to Iraqi custody
meant his death was imminent."

The term "transfer" is of course being used in a loose sense, as
Hussein was hung not in an Iraqi prison but within the
American-controlled Green Zone in central Baghdad.

Now that the killing is done, the governments of Iraq and the United
States have confirmed what may have been the worst fear of those who
condemned both Saddam Hussein and the US invasion and occupation that
removed him from power. The crude lawlessness of Hussein has been
replaced by the calculated lawlessness of a new regime.

John Nichols, The Nation’s Washington correspondent, has covered
progressive politics and activism in the United States and abroad for
more than a decade. He is currently the editor of the editorial page
of Madison, Wisconsin’s _Capital Times_ ()
. Nichols is the author of two books: _It’s the Media, Stupid_
( 83220291/commondreams-20/ref=nosim)
and _Jews for Buchanan_
( 1565847172/commondreams-20/ref=nosim)
.

http://www.thenation.org/
http://hrw.org/backgrounder/mena/iraq1005/
http://www.hrw.org/english/docs/2006/11/
http://www.madison.com/
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/15
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/

Alvard Petrosian Advises People Not To Be Deceived By Politicians’ P

ALVARD PETROSIAN ADVISES PEOPLE NOT TO BE DECEIVED BY POLITICIANS’ PREELECTION PROMISES AND CHARITY

Noyan Tapan
Dec 27 2006

YEREVAN, DECEMBER 27, NOYAN TAPAN. On the threshold of the 2007
parliamentary elections the Armenian people has appeared in a spiritual
crisis. Alvard Petrosian, RA National Assembly ARFD faction member,
expressed such opinion at the December 27 press conference. In her
words, all elections in Armenia are turned into "small civil wars,"
as "an argument" starts among separate districts, yards, neighbors and
relatives. After the elections, according to A.Petrosian’s observation,
"seeing that they again failed" everybody conciliate again. Touching
upon the subject of electoral bribe, the MP said that various political
unions put the people in the position of a beggar. In A.Petrosian’s
words, charity has become vulgar in Armenia. In general she estimated
the situation as "social Darwinism." "When someone does something
he drums about it like a monkey," A.Petrosian said. He advised the
people to cast doubt on politicians’ preelection promises and charity
so as not to be deceived in the future.

USA President Signed Bill Blocking Funds For Railroad Bypass

USA PRESIDENT SIGNED BILL BLOCKING FUNDS FOR RAILROAD BYPASS

Yerevan, December 26. ArmInfo. USA President George Bush yesterday
signed a bill prohibiting funding for a railroad linking Turkey,
Azerbaijan and Georgia while bypassing Armenia. The bill was signed
into law this week as part of a comprehensive measure known as the
Export-Import Bank Reauthorization Act of 2006. The legislation
included an amendment by Senators Robert Menendez (D-NJ) and Rick
Santorum (R-PA) ensuring that no Export-Import funding is used for a
rail line which seeks to isolate Armenia from economic and regional
transportation corridors. The provision mirrors the South Caucasus
Integration and Open Railroads Act, which was introduced in both
Houses with the support of the Armenian Assembly. In a statement to
the Assembly, the Co-Chairs of the Congressional Caucus on Armenian
Issues welcomed the adoption of the Export-Import bill. "We are
pleased that this important amendment was included in the final overall
legislation," said Reps. Frank Pallone, Jr. (D-NJ) and Joe Knollenberg
(R-MI). "U.S. policy in the South Caucasus seeks to foster regional
cooperation and normalization of relations, not isolation. We urge
Turkey to review its policy of alienating Armenia, end its 13 year
blockade and take steps to cooperate with its neighbors." Enactment
of this provision is part of the Armenian Assembly’s anti-isolation
campaign and resulted in a successful outcome with final passage in
the waning days of the 109th Congress.

"This Assembly initiative to combat Turkey’s and Azerbaijan’s attempts
to isolate Armenia is just one of the many ways in which we are working
to ensure a secure and prosperous homeland," said Executive Director
Bryan Ardouny.

"We very much appreciate the leadership of House and Senate Members
for bringing this important initiative to fruition." "I also want
to thank those organizations and individuals who joined us in this
community-wide effort," he added.

The Armenian Assembly of America is the largest Washington-based
nationwide organization promoting public understanding and awareness of
Armenian issues. It is a 501(c)(3) tax-exempt membership organization.

Central Churches Of Yerevan To Be Open Till 2 O’Clock At Night Of De

CENTRAL CHURCHES OF YEREVAN TO BE OPEN TILL 2 O’CLOCK AT NIGHT OF DECEMBER 31

Noyan Tapan
Dec 25 2006

YEREVAN, DECEMBER 25, NOYAN TAPAN. By the instruction of Archbishop
Navasard Kchoyan, the eparchic vicar of the Araratian Patriarchal
Diocese, the central churches of Yerevan will be open till 2 o’clock
of the morning at the night of December 31. Noyan Tapan was informed
about it by the Press Services of the Araratian Patriarchal Diocese.

SME DNC Implements Armenian Start-Up Entrepreneurs Crediting Program

SME DNC IMPLEMENTS ARMENIAN START-UP ENTREPRENEURS CREDITING PROGRAM SINCE NOVEMBER

Noyan Tapan
Dec 25 2006

YEREVAN, DECEMBER 25, NOYAN TAPAN. In 2006 the SME Developmnent
National Center (SME DNC) of Armenia provided assistance to
131 start-up entrepreneurs of the country’s marzes. 45 of these
entrepreneurs have registered their enterprises. The Deputy Executive
Director of the SME DNS Gegham Petrosian said this at the December
25 press conference. In his words, under the program of assistance to
start-up entrepreneus, the SME DNC worked out a mechanism of financial
assistance, as well as created a fund of 12 mln drams (about 28.5
thousand USD) at the expense of attracted international and foreign
resources. It was noted that since November 2006, the crediting of
the business programs, which were assessed as the best, was started
through the partner bank – ACBA Credit Agricole Bank. Credits are
given in the amount of up to 1 million drams, with 12% annual interest
rate and are repayable over 3 years. The SME DNC quarantees by 100%
the credit liabilities of start-up entrepreneurs. The program has
been implemented since November.

Gas Delivery to Armenia Resumed

Gas Delivery to Armenia Resumed

PanARMENIAN.Net
22.12.2006 16:44 GMT+04:00

/PanARMENIAN.Net/ The repair works at the damaged gas pipeline in
Georgia are completed, RA Energy Minister Armen Movsisyan told a
news conference in Yerevan. In his words, yesterday gas was pumped
to Armenia with initial volume of 350 thousand cubic meters. "As far
as I know presently the essential amount of gas is being supplied,"
he said, reports IA Regnum

ANKARA: Ates On Azerbaijani – Armenian Dispute

Ates On Azerbaijani – Armenian Dispute

Anatolian Times, Turkey
Dec 23 2006

BAKU – Armenian problem is on the agenda of the Political Committee
(of the Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe-PACE),"
said Abdulkadir Ates, a MP from the Republican People`s Party (CHP)
and the head of the PACE Political Affairs Committee. Making a
keynote speech in the PACE Political Affairs Committee meeting in
Azerbaijani capital of Baku, Ates expressed concern that the Upper
Karabakh problem has not been solved yet.

He recalled that the PACE adopted a resolution (#1416) regarding
solution of the Upper Karabakh problem, and said, "requirements of
this resolution should be fulfilled."

Also, he stated, a sub-committee has been set up under the Political
Affairs Committee regarding this question. Ates said that members of
this committee will hold talks with Azerbaijani and Armenian MPs soon.

Pointing out that the Committee has submitted a memorandum to the PACE
regarding stability in South Caucasus, Ates underlined importance of
this document for a political compromise in the region.

On the other hand, Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev received Ates
and Murat Mercan, the MP of Justice & Development Party (AKP) who is
also the head of Turkish delegation in the PACE.

Woodstokian Concert Rocks Buenos Aires

AGBU Press Office
55 East 59th Street
New York, NY 10022-1112
Phone: 212.319.6383, x118
Fax: 212.319.6507
Email: [email protected]
Website:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Woodstokian Concert Rocks Buenos Aires

On October 14, 2006, the AGBU Youth Group of Buenos Aires, Argentina
held their 6th annual Woodstokian Festival of Armenian bands. The
popular event drew a crowd of 500 Argentineans and hundreds of
others have watched the performances online at the hugely popular
video sharing website, YouTube. Last year’s Woodstokian concert was
the first to break into cyberspace when it was made available for
viewers through a live video stream on a local website.

Woodstokian 2006 showcased eight up-and-coming bands from Buenos Aires:
Tercer Mundo, Pyromania, Double Decker, La Zapada, Imagenes Sueltas,
Airan, Viejo Rancio, and Hot Joy. This year’s bands played a mixture
of hard, acoustic and soft rock, along with blues and heavy metal.

The music festival is a venue for Armenian Argentinean creative
expression and a welcoming environment for all Armenians to gather
and socialize. Each year, new bands from across the city request to
perform at Woodstokian, and the local AGBU Youth Group only stipulates
that the bands that apply have at least one member of Armenian heritage
to qualify for inclusion.

The annual Woodstokian concerts are organized by the AGBU Buenos
Aires Liga de Jóvenes (Youth Group), which was founded in 1940 and
has grown to be an essential component of the thriving city’s AGBU
Chapter. The Liga de Jóvenes organizes social, cultural and sporting
events for Armenian youth throughout Argentina, and produces the
quarterly Spanish-language magazine Generación 3.

To view clips from Woodstokian 2006 on YouTube, please visit
woodstokian.

Established in 1911, AGBU Buenos Aires is committed to preserving
and promoting the Armenian heritage and culture through educational,
cultural and humanitarian programs. For more information, please
visit

For more information on AGBU and its youth programs, please visit

–Boundary_(ID_oYsLDUeBPynwkY dNi0YBAg)–

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=
www.agbu.org
www.ugab.org.ar.
www.agbu.org.