Supreme Court Deputy Chairman Chingiz Asgarov has said that Azerbaijan filed lawsuits to the European Court of Human Rights (ECHR) over Armenia's crimes against Azerbaijan during the first Karabakh war inthe early 1990s, the 2016 April battles, and the 2020 second Karabakh war.
He made the remarks in an interview with journalists in Baku on January 18.
“Azerbaijan has been preparing such lawsuits to the ECHR since 2005. Among them are appeals in connection with Azerbaijani citizens who became refugees and internally displaced people, as well as damage caused to their property,” the deputy chairman said.
Asgarov added that the lawsuits against Armenia for its crimes committed against the civilians during the second Karabakh war are at an early stage of consideration in ECHR.
The deputy chairman stressed that Azerbaijan will voice its position in ECHR next month.
As a result of the military aggression by Armenia, 100 Azerbaijani civilians were killed, including 12 children and 27 women. As many as 454 people were injured, including 35 children. Some 181 children lost one parent, five children lost both parents, one family died. In total, 12,292 residential and non-residential buildings and 288 vehicles were damaged.
A criminal case has been initiated into the death of every civilian in Azerbaijan caused by the Armenian terror, and appeals have been sent to international courts and organizations.
Overall, Armenia launched nearly 30,000 shells and 227 rockets on Azerbaijani civil settlements and inflicted considerable damage on the property, destroying numerous residences, auxiliary structures, residential blocks, governmental buildings, mosques, churches, and cemeteries.
Armenia has so far failed to provide any information about more than 4,000 Azerbaijani citizens who went missing during the first Karabakh war in the early 1990s. Armenia also does not provide information about the Azerbaijani citizens who were in captivity during the first Karabakh war.
A Moscow-brokered ceasefire deal that Baku and Yerevan signed on November 10, 2020, brought an end to six weeks of fighting between Armenia and Azerbaijan. The Azerbaijani army declared a victory against the Armenian troops. The signed agreement obliged Armenia to withdraw its troops from the Azerbaijani lands that it has occupied since the early 1990s.
The peace agreement stipulated the return of Azerbaijan's Armenian-occupied Kalbajar, Aghdam and Lachin regions and urged Armenia to withdraw its troops from the Azerbaijani lands that it has occupied since the early 1990s. Before the signing of the deal, the Azerbaijani army had liberated around 300 villages, settlements, city centers, and historic Shusha city.