Netherlands says ‘missing’ Armenian teens facing deportation can stay

Agence France Presse
September 8, 2018 Saturday 3:22 PM GMT
Netherlands says 'missing' Armenian teens facing deportation can stay
The Hague, Sept 8 2018
The Dutch justice ministry said two Armenian teenagers who disappeared
to avoid their deportation on Saturday could live in the Netherlands,
in the latest twist to a high-profile drama that has gripped the
country.
Howick, 13 and his sister Lili, 12, who have gone into hiding several
times before to avoid the authorities, were due to be deported to join
their mother in Armenia, after a last-ditch legal bid failed to stop
their expulsion.
Migration Minister Mark Harbers has "after careful consideration
decided that the children can remain in the country," the justice
ministry said in a statement sent to AFP.
"The concerned authorities are now trying to establish if the children
are safe and where they are currently," it said.
They were last seen on Friday night at their grandparents' home in the
southeastern city of Wijchen, police said in a statement.
The saga has gripped the country, with Prime Minister Mark Rutte and
Dutch royal Princess Laurentien weighing in, while the youngsters have
appeared on national television to plead their case.
Howick and Lili last went missing a week ago, after the Hague-based
Council of State, the country's highest administrative court, ruled
there was no reason why the two teens should not be sent back to
Armenia.
The children have been living with foster parents since their mother,
Armina Hambartsjumian, was sent back to Yerevan last year after her
asylum request was finally denied.
Just before leaving the country the 37-year-old briefly hid the
children, refusing to tell immigration officials where they were.
Hambartsjumian was deported without them and has since told Dutch
supporters she is unable to look after her children in Armenia. By the
time Howick and Lili eventually emerged that time, their case was
before the courts.
On Friday, the children's lawyer had launched a last bid at the
Amsterdam court to halt their expulsion, arguing that their mother was
not able to look after them.
But the judge ruled that there was no viable reason to stop the deportation.

Disclaimer: This article was contributed and translated into English by Elizabeth Jabejian. While we strive for quality, the views and accuracy of the content remain the responsibility of the contributor. Please verify all facts independently before reposting or citing.

Direct link to this article: https://www.armenianclub.com/2018/09/09/netherlands-says-missing-armenian-teens-facing-deportation-can-stay/