Next round of Russian-Ukrainian talks to take place on March 2

Save

Share

 19:26, 1 March, 2022

YEREVAN, 1 March, ARMENPRESS. The next round of talks between Russia and Ukraine will take place on March 2, ARMENPTRESS reports a Russian source told TASS.

“As previously agreed, the meeting has to take place tomorrow,” he said.

The first round of talks between Russia and Ukraine took place on February 28 in the Gomel region of Belarus. It lasted 5 hours. After the meeting, the Russian side announced that the parties had reached a preliminary agreement to hold the next round of talks in Belarus.

US Congressman calls for unconditional release of remaining Armenian POWs and captured civilians

Save

Share

 10:58, 1 March, 2022

YEREVAN, MARCH 1, ARMENPRESS. US Congressman Adam Schiff issued a statement condemning Azerbaijani attacks on Armenians in Sumgait (1988) and Baku (2000) and ongoing aggression against Armenia and Artsakh, the Armenian National Committee of America reported.

Rep. Schiff’s full statement is below:

“Yesterday, we marked the 34th anniversary of the Sumgait and Baku pogroms. Beginning on February 27, 1988, and for three days following, Azerbaijani mobs assaulted and killed Armenians – leaving hundreds of civilians dead and injured and women and girls were raped. Some victims were thrown from windows and burned alive. Tens of thousands were forced to flee.

After two years, it was estimated that only 40,000 of the 250,000 Armenian residents of Baku remained in Azerbaijan. On January 13, 1990, organized Azerbaijani mobs turned on them, too, killing hundreds and injuring many more.

The pogroms came as a direct result of years of vicious, racist anti-Armenian propaganda by Azerbaijani authorities, dehumanizing the Armenian residents of Azerbaijan and laying the groundwork for mass violence. Azerbaijani authorities made little effort to punish those responsible, instead attempting to cover up the atrocities and deny the government’s role in instigating the attacks.

As we reflect on yesterday’s anniversary, we honor the victims of this ghastly injustice and pledge to speak out against hatred so that history will not repeat itself. But tragically, more than three decades later, that is exactly what has happened. Beginning on September 27, 2020, and over 44 days, Azerbaijani forces once again targeted and murdered innocent Armenians in Nagorno-Karabakh, also known as Artsakh, and displaced tens of thousands more. Today, Azerbaijani aggression against the people of Armenia and Artsakh continues. Armenian soldiers are still illegally detained and subject to torture while thousands of civilians still live in danger. Religious and cultural Armenian sites that have fallen under Azerbaijani control are under constant threat.

These are the horrific consequences when aggression and hatred grow unchecked – and it is why, whether these crimes against humanity occurred one year, thirty years, or a hundred years ago, we can never allow them to go unrecognized. More than that, it is why the United States must fully step into its role as a defender of democracy and peace around the world. We must not relent in our calls for the safe and unconditional release of the remaining Armenian prisoners of war and captured civilians, for the end of U.S. assistance to the Aliyev regime, and for stronger efforts to support democracy in Armenia and a free, independent Artsakh.

So let us pause to remember those who suffered in the atrocities of the Sumgait and Baku programs. But let us also recommit ourselves and our nation to doing everything we can, today, to bring liberation to our Armenian brothers and sisters abroad, once and for all”.

Germany calls on Russia to stop military actions and return to dialogue

Save

Share

 19:30, 1 March, 2022

YEREVAN, 1 MARCH, ARMENPRESS. The Federal Chancellor of the Federal Republic of Germany Olaf Scholz called on the leadership of Russia to stop the military actions in Ukraine, ARMENPRESS reports, Scholz said at the joint press conference with the Prime Minister of Luxembourg.

“I can’t miss the opportunity to call on Russia together with my counterpart to immediately stop all military actions, withdraw Russian forces and return to dialogue.” said Scholz.

COVID-19: Over 320 new cases, 17 deaths in Armenia

Save

Share

 11:15, 1 March, 2022

YEREVAN, MARCH 1, ARMENPRESS. 324 new cases of COVID-19 were confirmed over the last 24 hours, bringing the cumulative total number of confirmed cases to 420,156, the Armenian Ministry of Healthcare reported.

17 people died, bringing the COVID-19 death toll to 8478.

1239 people recovered (total recoveries: 402,916).

4076 tests were administered (total tests: 2,898,664).

As of March 1, the number of active cases stood at 7150.

Acting President of Armenia receives Special Envoy of Canada to EU and Europe

Save

Share

 11:56, 1 March, 2022

YEREVAN, MARCH 1, ARMENPRESS. Acting President of Armenia Alen Simonyan received today Special Envoy of Canada to the European Union and Europe, Stéphane Dion and his delegation, who arrived in Armenia to outline the ways of assisting the country’s democratic development, the Presidential Office said.

The Special Envoy of Canada presented to Alen Simonyan some details from the meetings held at different state structures of Armenia in the past two days.

As for the purpose of the visit to Armenia, Stéphane Dion said he will examine the opportunities of assisting Armenia’s democracy by Canada, including by providing segmentation support to the civil society, democratic institutions and economic partnership.

The meeting also touched upon the Canadian-Armenian community. The guest said that nearly 66,000 Armenians in Canada play a great role and participate in the country’s foreign policy, socio-economic matters.

Pashinyan, Macron discuss situation around Nagorno Karabakh over phone

Save

Share

 12:21, 1 March, 2022

YEREVAN, MARCH 1, ARMENPRESS. Prime Minister of Armenia Nikol Pashinyan had a telephone conversation with French President Emmanuel Macron, the PM’s Office reports.

Issues related to the forthcoming Armenian-French cooperation forum in Paris and their upcoming meeting were touched upon.

The sides discussed also the situation around Nagorno Karabakh and the strengthening of security and stability in the South Caucasus region.

The leaders of the countries exchanged views on the processes taking place in the international arena.

China says regional security cannot be achieved through expanding military alliances

Save

Share

 19:53, 1 March, 2022

YEREVAN, 1 MARCH, ARMENPRESS. The Chinese government calls on Russia and Ukraine to resolve the situation through dialogue, ARMENPRESS reports Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi said in a telephone conversation with Ukrainian Foreign Minister Dmytro Kuleba.

According to the Chinese Foreign Ministry, during the telephone conversation, Kuleba presented the situation after the first round of Russian-Ukrainian talks, noting that the cessation of hostilities is their priority, and official Kyiv wants to continue negotiations.

Wang Yi noted that China’s position is open and transparent. The Chinese side stands for the sovereignty and territorial integrity of all countries. “Reacting to the current crisis, China calls on Ukraine and Russia to find a solution through negotiations and to support all constructive international efforts aimed at a political settlement of the issue”, reads the statement.

Wang Yi added that China is convinced that the security of one country cannot be at the expense of the security of other countries, and regional security cannot be achieved through expanding military alliances.

Ukraine is ready for negotiations, but considers the ultimatums unacceptable. Embassy of Ukraine in Armenia

Save

Share

 20:28, 1 March, 2022

YEREVAN, 1 MARCH, ARMENPRESS. Ukraine is ready for real talks with Russia, but considers the ultimatums unacceptable, the representative of Ukraine in Armenia, Chargé d’Affaires Denis Avtonomov told ARMENPRESS, commenting on Kyiv’s expectations from the talks on the settlement of the Russian-Ukrainian conflict.

According to the Ukrainian diplomat, the talks are always useful and necessary, but the conditions that Russia, in the person of President Vladimir Putin and Russian diplomats, puts forward for the settlement of the issue are unacceptable for the Ukrainian side and are considered an ultimatum.

“Negotiations are always needed, but what the Russian President said to the French President yesterday, what the Russian Ambassador to the UN Nebenzya said, is an ultimatum. We are talking about “demilitarization”, “denazification”, Ukraine’s neutral status, abandonment of plans to join the European Union and the NATO. I did not see any willingness of them to change that position. And our position is to stop the fire and withdraw the troops. After that we are presented with ultimatums, we have no choice but to fight. As a diplomat, I can assure you that the ultimatum – the talks are different things,” said the Chargé d’Affaires of Ukraine.

To the question of ARMENPRESS in which case Ukraine will consider itself a winner or what will it consider a victory, Denis Avtonomov answered. “Complete liberation of Ukrainian territories, including Crimea and Donbass.”

Walt Disney, Warner Bros. suspending film releases in Russia

 

Save

Share

 12:38, 1 March, 2022

YEREVAN, MARCH 1, ARMENPRESS. The Walt Disney Company and Warner Bros. halt all future theatrical film releases in Russia, TASS reports citing CNBC.

“Given the unprovoked invasion of Ukraine and the tragic humanitarian crisis, we are pausing the release of theatrical films in Russia, including the upcoming ‘Turning Red’ from Pixar”, The Walt Disney Company said in a statement Monday, CNBC reported. The management of the company will make future business decisions based on the evolving situation, it added.

Warner Bros. informed it was pausing the release of “The Batman” in Russia” in light of the humanitarian crisis in Ukraine”, according to CNBC.

“We will continue to monitor the situation as it evolves”, the company said in a statement. “We hope for a swift and peaceful resolution to this tragedy”.

:Armenpress: The date of the special meeting of the Foreign Ministers of NATO member states is known

The date of the special meeting of the Foreign Ministers of NATO member states is known

Save

Share

 20:55, 1 March, 2022

YEREVAN, 1 MARCH, ARMENPRESS. The special meeting of NATO foreign ministers will be held on March 4 in Brussels, ARMENPRESS reports the statement of the alliance informed.

“An extraordinary meeting of the North Atlantic Council at the level of Foreign Ministers will be held on March 4 at NATO Headquarters,” the statement said.

During the meeting, the Foreign Ministers of the NATO member states will discuss the situation created by the military action launched by Russia in Ukraine and the further actions of NATO.