OSCE Sends Envoy To Armenia Following Post-Election Unrest

OSCE SENDS ENVOY TO ARMENIA FOLLOWING POST-ELECTION UNREST

Xinhua

March 2 2008
China

HELSINKI, March 2 (Xinhua) — The Organization on Security and
Cooperation in Europe (OSCE) sent a special envoy to Armenia on
Sunday to try to resolve the political crisis there, Finland’s Foreign
Ministry said.

"I have sent my special envoy to try to bring both sides to the
negotiating table and to find a way out of this crisis through
political dialogue," said Finnish Foreign Minister Ilkka Kanerva,
whose country currently holds the OSCE’S rotating chairmanship,
in a statement.

Heikki Talvitie, a veteran diplomat with long experience in the
region, will hold separate talks with Armenian outgoing president
Robert Kocharian, outgoing prime minister, president-elect Serzh
Sargsyan and opposition leaders, said the statement.

"The OSCE considers dialogue central to stability, and stability is
vital in the South Caucasus. Everything should be done to avoid further
casualties and any further escalation of tension," said Kanerva.

Kanerva condemned the use of force against peaceful demonstrators in
the capital city Yerevan Saturday, said the statement.

Armenian opposition supporters have been rallying in Yerevan to
protest the outcome of the Feb. 19 presidential election, in which
Prime Minister Serzh Sargsyan won with 52.8 percent of the vote.

Opposition leader Levon Ter-Petrosyan, who got 21.5 percent of
the vote, claimed the vote was rigged and demanded a rerun of the
elections.

According to local media reports, police said eight people had been
killed in the overnight conflict.

The Armenian parliament approved a presidential decree on Sunday
introducing a 20-day state of emergency in the Caucasus nation after
the clash between police and opposition protesters.

www.chinaview.cn

Foreign Minister of Armenia refuted the information on Levon Ter-Pet

Foreign Minister of Armenia refuted the information on Levon Ter-Petrosian’s house arrest

March 1, 2008

Yerevan /Mediamax/. Armenian Foreign Minister Vartan Oskanian refuted today
the information on Ex-President Levon Ter-Petrosian’s house arrest.

Mediamax reports that Vartan Oskanian said this at the special briefing
today, called in the building of the Presidential Administration.

He reminded that, in accordance with the law, the protection of
Ter-Petrosian is realized by the employees of the State Protection
Service of Armenia.

"Taking into account the fact that the actions of Ter-Petrosian’s
supporters have taken an uncontrollable course, the State Protection
Service of Armenia cannot allow the Ex-President being in the place,
where the provision of his security cannot be complete", Vartan
Oskanian stated.

The Minister noted that if Levon Ter-Petrosian in written form
renounces the services of the State Protection Service of Armenia,
"in that case, he will gain full freedom of actions".

Serge Sargsyan: RA Government will to its best to restore public ord

Serge Sargsyan: RA Government will to its best to restore public order and stability

armradio.am
02.03.2008 15:21

On March 1 RA Prime Minister Serge Sargsyan had a phone conversation
with the US Deputy Secretary of State for Europe and Eurasia Daniel
Fried and his Assistant, American Co-Chair of the OSCE Minsk Group
Matthew Bryza.

RA Government’s Information and Public Relations Department informed
"Radiolur" that both Mr. Fried and Mr. Bryza expressed hope that the
domestic political situation in Armenia will be settled via political
dialogue and violence will be avoided.

Fried and Bryza also expressed hope that the Armenian authorities
will manage to rapidly restore the stability of the country and
public order.

Prime Minister Serge Sargsyan assured the interlocutors that the
Armenian Government will do its best to avoid violence and restore
public order and stability in the country. The Prime Minister thanked
his American colleagues for support.

Ukrainian President Congratulates Serge Sargsyan On His Victory

UKRAINIAN PRESIDENT CONGRATULATES SERGE SARGSYAN ON HIS VICTORY

armradio.am
28.02.2008 17:30

The President of Ukraine Viktor Yushchenko congratulated RA Prime
Minister Serge Sargsyan on his victory in the Armenian presidential
elections.

"On behalf of the people of Ukraine and me I sincerely congratulate
you on your election as the President of the Republic of Armenia.

Highly assessing your personal contribution to the development of
friendship and cooperation between our countries, I express confidence
that the relations between Armenia and Ukraine will continue developing
in the spirit of mutual trust and support.

I want to take the opportunity to wish you sound health and success
in your state activity, as well as peace, wellbeing and prosperity
to the friendly Armenian nation."

Reckless Journalism

RECKLESS JOURNALISM
By Armen K. Hovannisian

PR-Inside.com (Pressemitteilung)
ss-journalism-r461191.htm
Feb 28 2008
Austria

In his editorial of February 21, 2008, Appo Jabarian of USA Armenian
Life Magazine criticized Raffi Hovannisian, Armenia’s first Foreign
Minister and current member of the National Assembly (Parliament).

Jabarian also considered it both ethical and professional to ridicule
Raffi’s father Richard, son Garin, and the ‘Hovannisian household.’
We know that Jabarian strongly inferred that Hrant Dink was an agent
of the Turkish government. But what charge does he bring against
Hovannisian?

Jabarian is not quite bold enough to utter the words himself. So he
quotes. He quotes Hayots Ashkharh, the Armenian tabloid assigned to
conduct the government’s official propaganda.

He quotes an unidentified, but immediately identifiable, ‘Armenian
activist.’ He quotes one Ashot Grigoryan from Slovakia.

They claim, in one way or another, that Raffi Hovannisian has committed
‘treason!’ That, supposedly, was Hrant Dink’s crime, too.

The crime here?

In an August 2007 letter to Turkey’s president Abdullah Gul,
Hovannisian’s use of the term ‘Great Armenian Dispossession’
instead of the term ‘Armenian Genocide’ is condemned as ‘highly
insulting.’ Jabarian views Great Armenian Dispossession as
‘more acceptable to the Turks.’ In other words, Hovannisian was
‘pandering’ to the ‘enemy.’ Here is Hovannisian’s ‘pandering’: In an
article published in European print media on the occasion of the 90th
anniversary of the Armenian Genocide, Hovannisian wrote: ‘The Armenian
Genocide and its final act turned ninety last week-The lessons,
risks, and dangers flowing from the Genocide and its contemporary
continuation are all the more poignant because the Armenian case
was not only the physical murder of most individuals making up the
nation, but also the violent interruption and forcible expropriation
of its millennial homeland and way of life-Can the heirs to Turkish
perpetration translate self-interest into seeking atonement, and can
the descendants of the great Armenian dispossession agree to move
on? Will we, or our children, ever see the light, let alone reflect
back from the heights, of the post-Genocide world?’ Hovannisian used
that same phrase-the Great Armenian Dispossession-in his writings in
the Wall Street Journal: ‘The Young Turk leaders of the Ottoman Empire,
for example, were responsible for the great Armenian dispossession
of 1915, which included all the components of the crime of genocide,
the destruction of the historic Armenian homelands, and the murderous
finality for millions of human lives.’ There’s more. In The Middle
East Times and in United Press International in 2006, Hovannisian
wrote: ‘The catastrophic dispossession of the Armenian homeland by
the rulers of the Ottoman Empire; the subsequent Bolshevik-Turkish
pact partitioning Armenia and effectively ten dering Karabagh,
Nakhichevan and other integral parts of the Armenian patrimony to
Soviet Azerbaijan-‘ Do these sound like treason?

The Young Turks did not merely claim the lives of several million
people. Though its consequences continue, the massive killing of
Armenians is finished. But it was not only the wholesale massacre
of a people. The usurpation of the homeland was no less egregious
and persists to this very day, making modern Turkey complicit in the
crimes of the Young Turks.

Jabarian relieves himself of some high and mighty rhetoric, accusing
Hovannisian of ‘ruining the work we have done for years and decades.’
We?

There may be occasional interest in Jabarian’s opinions, despite his
complicity in the silencing of Hovannisian’s own activities. Surely,
if Jabarian was so eager to ‘expose’ Hovannisian’s letter to Gul,
which has been publicly available and accessible since it was written
six months ago, he would have also come across other newsworthy
events and reports, including ‘Armenian Cultural Resolutions in the
Council of Europe’ and ‘Raffi Hovannisian at the Council of Europe.’
On January 25, 2008, in Strasbourg, Hovannisian authored and introduced
a motion, cosponsored by 25 members of the Parliamentary Assembly of
the Council of Europe. The motion begins with the following words:
‘The genocide of the Armenian people-resulted not only in the death
and dispossession of more than two million human beings but also in
the decimation of the Armenian patrimony, its ways of life, and its
foundational contributions to western culture and world civilization.’
(assembly.coe.int/Main.asp?link=/Do cuments/WorkingDocs/Doc08/EDOC ..)
This, not in a letter to Gul, but on the highest international
platform-on his own initiative, suppressed by the Armenian
government-controlled media, including the Hayots Ashkharh of which
Jabarian seems to be so fond.Ignored, too, by Jabarian’s own newspaper.

There is much work ‘we’ have done. Some of us advocate for
the recognition of history in the most influential chambers of
international politics.

Others seem to bask in yellow journalism and personalized campaigns
of character assassination.

Raffi Hovannisian didn’t leave the United States for Armenia because
Armenia had a better political system. He moved to the homeland to
participate in transforming the system-from what it is not to what
it should be. The greatest contribution an Armenian can make to his
homeland is to love it while acknowledging its flaws and helping to
change it for the better.

In spite of the fear and envy of some in official circles in Armenia
and the scorn of the likes of Mr. Appo Jabarian, Raffi Hovannisian will
be back in Strasbourg next month to keep pushing for the recognition
and reversal of the Great Armenian Dispossession.

http://www.pr-inside.com/reckle

BAKU: Possible To Reach Agreement On Nagorno-Karabakh After Presiden

POSSIBLE TO REACH AGREEMENT ON NAGORNO-KARABAKH AFTER PRESIDENTIAL ELECTIONS IN ARMENIA – OSCE PA PRESIDENT

Trend News Agency
Feb 28 2008
Azerbaijan

Azerbaijan, Baku, 28 February / Trend News corr. K.Ramazanova /
There is a possibility for a peace agreement regarding the Nagorno
Karabakh issue after the latest presidential elections in Armenia,
Goran Lennmarker, OSCE Parliamentary Assembly president, stated to
journalists in the Heydar Aliyev Airport in Baku.

"I believe that a positive agreement could be achieved after the latest
presidential elections in Armenia," he noted. Lennmarker stated that
they can develop a report on Nagorno Karabakh only after achievement
of any agreement.

OSCE delegation’s visit is implemented within the framework of the
trip to South Caucasus countries which began on 26 February.

During the visit to Azerbaijan Goran Lennmarker and Kanerva will
meet with the Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev, Oktai Asadov,
Speaker of Parliament, Elmar Mammadyarov, Foreign Minister, as well
as Nizami Bahmanov, head of Azerbaijani community of Nagorno-Karabakh
and various state officials.

The prospects of cooperation between Azerbaijan and OSCE, as well
as the Armenian-Azerbaijani peace settlement of Nagorno-Karabakh are
planned for discussion during the meeting.

Opposition Members Accused Of Plot To Seize Armenian TV Center

OPPOSITION MEMBERS ACCUSED OF PLOT TO SEIZE ARMENIAN TV CENTER

Interfax News Agency
Russia & CIS
February 26, 2008
Russia

Armenia’s National Security Service said on Tuesday that supporters
of ex-president Levon Ter-Petrosian, defeated in what he claims was
a rigged presidential election, had plotted to storm a television
center and demand the possibility of a live televised address for
Ter-Petrosian.

"The Criminal Investigation Department of the National Security Service
has instituted criminal proceedings under the Criminal Code Article
‘Usurpation of State Authority,’" the service told Interfax.

The service said the alleged conspiracy had been revealed by a man
who was arrested on Monday and had taken part in opposition rallies on
Freedom Square in Yerevan where demands were raised for the annulment
of the official results of the February 19 presidential election,
according to which Prime Minister Serzh Sargsyan won the poll.

The service named the man who had been arrested as Karen Ter-
Stepanian.

"K. Ter-Stepanian gave evidence and said nine supporters of L. Ter-
Petrosian were to organize a procession toward the television tower
and the building of the Public Television and Radio Company. They
planned to enter the territory of the building and demand a chance
for Ter-Petrosian to go live on air," the service said.

It said several people has been arrested as part of the case.

Armenian Security Service Seizes Weapons From Opposition Supporters

ARMENIAN SECURITY SERVICE SEIZES WEAPONS FROM OPPOSITION SUPPORTERS

Public TV
Feb 26 2008
Armenia

[Presenter, following a report about the statement of the Armenian
National Security Service which said thatsupporters of former President
Levon Ter-Petrosyan were planning to seize the TV tower and radio
stations] The report ofthe National Security Service also says that
on the night between 25 February and 26 February, in accordance with
theabovementioned criminal case, operational investigation measures
were taken jointly with the police of the Republic ofArmenia regarding
the persons about whom they had received information.

According to this information, these people, whowere attending rallies
[in support of former President Levon Ter-Petrosyan who alleges that
the 19 February presidentialelection was rigged] on [Yerevan’s]
Freedom Square, demonstrated extremist behaviour and expressed
willingness tobe involved in illegal actions.

As a result of the taken measures, a large amount of arms and
ammunitions, as well as poisonous substances andexplosives, were
disclosed and confiscated. A number of people have been arrested,
the investigation is continuing into the criminal case, the National
Security Service reported. [Video shows ammunitions]

BAKU: West Does Not Intend To Organize ‘Orange Revolution’ In Armeni

WEST DOES NOT INTEND TO ORGANIZE ‘ORANGE REVOLUTION’ IN ARMENIA DUE TO RUSSIA: US EXPERT

Trend News Agency
Feb 28 2008
Azerbaijan

Russia, Moscow, 27 February /corr. Trend News R.Agayev / The Western
countries have no goals to organize an ‘orange revolution’ in Armenia,
where the presidential elections took place recently. "The West did
not urge on ‘orange revolution’ in Armenia. At least, the USA exactly
did not do it," the US expert Nikolai Zlobin said.

The key opposition candidate, ex-President Levon Ter-Petrosyan
accused the Prime Minister of Armenia, Serj Sarkisyan- who gained 53%
of the votes in the presidential election in Armenia on 19 February,
of falsifying the results of the elections. Various demonstrations,
hunger strikes are going on in Armenian to protest against it. On
26 Feb, Ter-Petrosyan and his supporters made efforts to seize the
building of the TV center. Several high-ranking representatives of
the Armenian Foreign Ministry and Prosecutor General’s Office have
been detained for supporting the opposition candidate.

Separate discussions and talks took place in Washington regarding the
future of Armenia- which has taken a pro-Russian position, and due
to which, the USA does not will to go for any tension with Russia,
Zlobin said, supporting this policy of the White House. According to
him, there are great suspicions in Washington with regards to the
honesty and transparency of the presidential elections in Armenia,
but the USA will do nothing in this regard.

According to the politician, soon the disbursements of the Armenian
opposition will claim down. "However, these disbursements have already
achieved their goals – thereafter, the Armenian Government will have to
take into consideration the existence of a serious opposition. Already
it is impossible to steer Armenia without paying any attention to
the disagreed people- because they are many in number,"

According to the analyst, Armenia is in the transition period, and yet
the society has not reached to an agreement on what is important for
them. However, according to the politician, the current processes in
Armenia are useful. "It assists in devising the normal national elite
and national discussions, understanding the interests of the country,"
Zlobin said.

Touching upon the active use of the ‘Karabakh map’ during the
pre-election campaign in Armenia, the politician said that such
disputable issues always become the subject of the internal political
fight. "It is bad because it is possible to establish the political
career on the base of these speculations. It is bad for both the
sides because it does not recover the atmosphere. The Nagorno-Karabakh
problem is very difficult and demands accurate and delicate attitude,
using it for the internal political goals is inaccurate and unfair,"
Zlobin said. According to him, such steps may provoke some reciprocal
actions, and the bitterness of opponents as well.

According to the information by the Central Election Commission of
Armenia, the President of Armenia was elected the Prime Minister
of Armenia, Serj Sarkisyan, who gained 52.82%n of the votes. He
is followed by the ex-President of Armenia, Levon Ter-Petrosyan,
with 21.5%.

Since 20 Feb, demonstrations by the opposition have been taking place
in Yerevan. The organizers and participants of the demonstrations
express dissatisfaction with the results of the presidential elections,
held on 19 February.

In the past years, the so-called ‘orange revolution’ took place in
the Post-Soviet territory in Ukraine and Georgia.

Galust Sahakian Accuses Ex-President Of Shattering Armenian Statehoo

GALUST SAHAKIAN ACCUSES EX-PRESIDENT OF SHATTERING ARMENIAN STATEHOOD

ARMENPRESS
Feb 26, 2008

YEREVAN, FEBRUARY 26, ARMENPRESS: A deputy chairman of the governing
Republican Party, Galust Sahakian, said a vote recount in about 135
polling stations did not reveal serious breaches which could have
impacted the final outcome of the February 19 presidential election.

Speaking at a news conference Galust Sahakian said the ultimate goal
of his party was to conduct good election and have prime minister Serzh
Sarkisian, who is also chairman of the party, elected as president.

Sahakian said his party fellows failed to foresee one problem-that some
political groups will jeopardize the process of strengthening Armenia’s
sovereignty and will capitalize on the unresolved Nagorno-Karabakh
conflict issue.

"We have managed to reunite our strength. It is obvious today that
the people do not want to jeopardize the country’s security," he
said citing rallies in support of Serzh Sarkisian held in many towns
beyond Yerevan.

Sahakian also denied rumors that the personnel of public sector
enterprises and organizations are forced to attend these rallies.

"Levon Ter-Petrosian does not seek presidency, his ultimate goal is
to shatter the foundations of our statehood," he said and referring
to tens of thousands of Ter-Petrosian’s supporters who are protesting
for the sixth day in a row as ‘disoriented and mistaken people."