Armenians, Kurds, Turks called UK parliament to recognize Genocide

PanARMENIAN.Net

Armenians, Kurds and Turks called UK parliament to recognize Armenian Genocide
03.02.2007 14:25 GMT+04:00

/PanARMENIAN.Net/ January 30, Armenians and Kurds as well as Turkish
intellectuals gathered outside the House of Commons, London to honor
Hrant Dink and to call on the UK government to help the process of
reconciliation between Armenians and Turks by the recognition of the
truth of the Armenian Genocide, independent French reporter Jean
Eckian told PanARMENIAN.Net. The vigil was led by Lord Avebury and
included the singing of the "Hair Mer" by Seta Cox.

Later, inside the House of Commons the Tribute to Hrant Dink was
held. A message from the Bertrand Russell Peace Foundation was read,
followed by an eloquent oration on Hrant’s significance by Prof.
Khatchatur Pilikian. Seta Cox read her poem of tribute titled "Without
You". This was followed by an insight into Hrant’s personality and a
masterly analysis of the Armenian Genocide by Prof. Hovannes Pilikian.

Eilian Williams of Armenia Solidarity made the point that Turkish
democracy at present is based on the lie that there was no Genocide of
Armenians, and appealed for all to strive for a multi-cultural Turkey
where the rights of minorities are respected. Messages of solidarity
were given by Kurdish and Turkish supporters, including Dr Fariudin
Hilmi, a former minister in the government of Iraqi Kurdistan and also
by Mustapha Yesacan. The Kurdistan National Congress and other Kurdish
groups as well as the Turkish-Kurdish Center in London were
represented at the event.

Youth to Actively Participate in Election Campaign

Panorama.am

20:14 01/02/2007

YOUTH TO ACTIVELY PARTICIPATE IN ELECTION CAMPAIGN

`Tesaket’ (Point of view) club opened its doors to reporters today as
a new stage of free speech. The club is initiated by a group of
reporters. They say it is just a coincidence that the club opened
during the pre-election marathon.

The club decided to launch its inauguration event with the
participation of youth. The subject of discussion was the role of
youth in election processes.

Karen Avagyan, leader of youth wing of the Armenian Republican Party
(HHK) assured that the Republicans will pay enough attention to youth
problems. He said special attention is paid to new work places and
social challenges of young families and students.

Samvel Faramanyan, representative of Orinats Yerkir, said they believe
the youth is apathetic. `We try to step up the demanding character of
youth,’ he said.

Source: Panorama.am

ANKARA: Int. Min anticipates further turmoil in wake of Dink killing

The New Anatolian, Turkey
Feb 1 2007

Interior Ministry anticipates further turmoil in wake of Dink killing

The New Anatolian / Ankara
01 February 2007

The Interior Ministry yesterday sent a circular to all governors’
offices throughout the country warning of possible provocative
activities to further exploit last month’s murder of Armenian-origin
Turkish journalist Hrant Dink.

The circular came after the high-profile assassination case grabbed
all media attention with even speculative news articles promptly
denied by the authorities.

Police spokesperson Ismail Caliskan yesterday also told reporters
that a great majority of the media stories don’t reflect the truth
about the killing and the suspects.

Caliskan said that the police managed to catch the perpetrators in a
very short time and that they are working to shed light onto all
hidden aspects of the incident.

The media has run stories claiming that a third man behind the
gunman, Erhan Tuncel, was a police informant and that he informed his
superiors about the planned Dink assassination and that his tip-off
was neglected due to a clash of interest within the police force.
However a high-ranking police official said that informants always
come in with tip-offs about people like Dink being threatened.

However reports also claimed yesterday that Tuncel’s connection with
the police was cut after his tip-off about Dink. Both Istanbul and
Trabzon police have yet to deny the claim, while the inspectors are
continuing inquires into whether the Ankara Police Intelligence
Department called on Istanbul police to protect Dink.

The second man Yasin Hayal, who was arrested and sent to an F-type
prison on charges of inciting murder, was said to have spoken about
Dink’s murder around the northern province of Trabzon, the homeland
of arrested gunman Ogun Samast and Hayal.

Another high-profile story claimed that, based on eye witnesses,
Samast was not alone when he gunned down the journalist.

The Interior Ministry at the same time ordered the appointment two
more inspectors — a Gendarmerie inspector and a police chief
inspector — to the city to aid two ministry inspectors currently
carrying out an investigation into the alleged negligence of state
authorities in Trabzon.

The ministry, in the circular, warned the governors of ongoing
protests throughout the country and said that certain circles may
manipulate this highly sensitive atmosphere.

It ordered provincial authorities to police, monitor and even record
public gatherings and to act in coordination with the judicial bodies
to intervene in unwanted violent activities in a timely manner.

In related news, another suspect, Salih Hacisalihoglu who is charged
with providing bullets to the gunman, was arrested yesterday raising
the number of arrested to seven.

The killing led to turmoil in society with a group accusing the
police and the state of failing to protect Dink while another raising
anti-Armenian slogans praising the state authorities. The
anti-Armenian stance, believed to be triggered after pro-Armenian
slogans chanted during the funeral ceremony of the late journalist,
even spread to football matches prompting a Cabinet minister to urge
football fans to use common sense.

Amid the disturbance, Trabzon’s governor and police chief were
suspended, while the opposition parties demanded the government to
suspend Istanbul police chief partly due to his immediate comment
after the detention of the gunman that he committed the crime under
his nationalist sentiments and he has no link with an organization,
and presented a censure motion against Interior Minister Abdulkadir
Aksu.

However a motion submitted by the main opposition Republican People’s
Party (CHP) asking Parliament to establish an investigation
commission to carry out a study over the recent incidents in Trabzon
was dropped.

Ibrahim Ozdogan, the Erzurum deputy of the Motherland Party
(ANAVATAN), which on Tuesday submitted a censure motion against the
minister, said that the government should punish the Interior
Minister in the way it punished the two local authorities in Trabzon.

Ozdogan, speaking at a press conference in Parliament, accused the
minister of neglecting his duty.

‘Armenian community’s concerns rising’

In related news, Fethiye Cetin, an Armenian lawyer in Turkey,
yesterday claimed that ultranationalist circles have increased
attacks against the Armenian community in the country after the
killing of Dink.

Voicing rising concerns of the community, she branded two public
polls conducted by mass-circulation daily Hurriyet as to whether the
slogans shouted at the funeral saying, "We’re all Hrant, we’re all
Armenians," were appropriate or not, and whether it is right to
recite Islamic verses for Dink, as a rather dangerous and ugly move.
The daily has yet to make public the outcomes of the polls.

On the other hand, a spokesperson for a Trabzon platform expressed
the city’s rising tension and said that they will not remain
indifferent to those who attempt to damage the country and the
nation’s unity by taking advantage of the highly sensitive atmosphere
that emerged after Dink’s murder.

Ilyas Guven Eroglu, the spokesperson for the Trabzon Associations
Union Platform, made up of 18 local civil groups, also criticized the
press for news stories humiliating and laying the blame on Trabzon
and its people.

Eroglu told a press conference in front of a Turkish flag, an Ataturk
poster and banners reading, "We’re from Trabzon, Turks, and we’re all
Mustafa Kemal [Ataturk]," that media stories have turned into a
psychological war to wear down the resistance of the Turkish people.

"International circles have been carrying out secret activities in
the region and particularly in Trabzon with hidden purposes," said
the spokesperson, claiming that there are plans to turn the Black Sea
basin into an Orthodox influence region as part of aims to
disintegrate the country.

He went on to claim that ethnic groups, terror organizations and
missionaries are highly active in the city.

Armenian Businessman Wounded in Moscow

ARMENIAN BUSINESSMAN WOUNDED IN MOSCOW

Yerevan, February 1. ArmInfo. As the State Radio of Armenia informs,
an Armenian Emil Karapetyan has been wounded as a result of attempt in
Moscow. The Prosecutor’s Office of Moscow Central Administrative
Region has launched a criminal case on firing `Lexus’ car near
Khamovniki region of Moscow. The criminal case was launched in
compliance with Article 30 of the Russian Criminal Code and part of
Article 105 (attempt of murder),’ reported the Press Service of Moscow
Prosecutor’s Office.

According to inquiry data, someone shot at two men at about 09:40. `At
the moment of shooting Emil Karapetyan and Robinzon Arabuli were tying
to get into the car. Arabuli was wounded and taken to Sklifosovski
hospital. Karapetyan was taken to one of the city hospitals,’ the
Press Service informs. Investigation of the case is underway.

Death threats cancel Pamuk Germany trip

United Press International
Jan 31 2007

Death threats cancel Pamuk Germany trip

BERLIN, Jan. 31 (UPI) — Orhan Pamuk, the Turkish writer who received
the 2006 Nobel Prize for literature, has canceled his trip to Germany
for fear of being assassinated.

The author has received massive death threats from Turkish
Nationalists, the German Koelner Stadt-Anzeiger newspaper said
Wednesday.

Pamuk, 54, was to visit several major German cities and was to be
given an honorary doctorate at Berlin’s Free University Friday. Yet
after the murder of Turkish-Armenian journalist Hrant Dink, security
experts had advised him not to travel to Germany.

Like Dink, Pamuk in the past has spoken openly about the mass killing
of Armenians in 1915, which many observers call genocide. Turkey
still supports a law that bans insults against "Turkishness" and
calling the killings genocide. A bid to prosecute the Nobel laureate
on such charges was dropped early last year.

Yet Pamuk has attracted the wrath of Turkish Nationalists, with the
alleged wirepuller of the murder of Dink publicly warning Pamuk in
court.

Two Citizens of Iran Die From Leakage of Gas in Yerevan

TWO CITIZENS OF IRAN DIE FROM LEAKAGE OF GAS IN YEREVAN

YEREVAN, JANUARY 31, NOYAN TAPAN. On January 30, Arabkir Police
Department was informed that gas was flowing out at Nairi Zarian 15,
apt 18, and it was possible that there were no inhabitants at the
apartment.

Corpses of citizens of Iran, 23-year-old Ghasheh Saragon and
19-year-old Raana Mohammad were found at the apartment, in their beds,
by the investigation group. As Noyan Tapan was informed from RA Police
Public Relations and Information Department, no traces of violence
were found on the corpses.

The investigation is carried on by the Prosecutor’s Office of
Kanaker-Zeytun communities.

Actions of Azeri Hacker Are Petty Provocation: Arminco Director

ACTIONS OF AZERI HACKER ARE PETTY PROVOCATION: ARMINCO DIRECTOR

Yerevan, January 29. ArmInfo. The actions of the Azeri hacker are a
petty provocation, says the director of the biggest Armenian provider
company ArmInco Andranik Aleksanyan.

To remind, today an Azeri hacker cracked 4 Armenian sites:
, ,
, There he placed a
message to the Armenian special services: "You will never be able to
stop me, an Azeri hacker. As long as I am living, I will fight with
you, with all Armenians in the world. Nagorno-Karabakh is a historical
Azeri land" and in Azeri he added: "Ilham Aliyev is the only leader who
will be able to return the occupied Azeri lands."

Aleksanyan notes that such attacks take place every day and there is
nothing extraordinary in it. "There are several types of hackers, but
this one is just a politically sick person," says Aleksanyan.

Of the 4 sites only one is .am and it is already being repaired. The
rest are situated in the US and Russia.

Concerning the possibility of counter-attack by the Armenian side,
Aleksanyan says that the Armenian hackers are professional enough not
to pay attention to such provocations. Hacking has specific rules,
while such actions are all but hacking. If need be, the Armenian
hackers can respond, but this is not the case. Aleksanyan advises the
owners of the cracked sites to hire good specialists who will be able
to protect their sites from unsancitioned access.

http://www.openarmenia.com
http://www.openarmenia.ru
http://www.tamanyan.org
http://www.homeopathy.am.

US to lay pipeline across Caspian seabed

US to lay pipeline across Caspian seabed
ticle.php?storyid=29773

Telugu Portal, India

Baku, Jan 27 (RIA Novosti) A US firm has been granted the contract to
lay a 58 km oil pipeline in the Caspian Sea. The project is expected
to be fully operational in 2008, with an annual capacity of 10 billion
cubic metres of gas and 4 million tonnes of oil.

McDermott Caspian Contractors Inc., a US based design and engineering
company will lay the pipeline to the Yury Korchagin oil and gas field,
located in the Russian sector of the Caspian Sea at a cost of $700
million, according to a statement released by LUKoil, Russia’s largest
crude producer.

Since the early 2000s, the ex-Soviet republics of Kazakhstan and
Azerbaijan have been considering projects to lay natural gas or oil
pipelines across the bed of the Caspian Sea and bypassing
Russia. However, Moscow has consistently opposed the idea, citing
environmental concerns
( /article.php?storyid=29773#).

–By RIA Novosti

http://www.teluguportal.net/modules/news/ar
http://www.teluguportal.net/modules/news

Turkey and the Armenians – How to honour Hrant

Turkey and the Armenians

How to honour Hrant

Jan 25th 2007
The Economist print edition

The best tribute for a brave journalist would be a change in the law

FOR those who care about Turkey, and its prospects of a European future,
these are roller-coaster days. The country’s well-wishers were shocked to
the core by the assassination of a brave editor, Hrant Dink. Unbowed by a
flawed judicial system and a crescendo of death threats, Mr Dink paid with
his life for his efforts to make his fellow Turkish citizens, and his fellow
ethnic Armenians, think anew about the horrors that unfolded in the final
years of the Ottoman era.

But the public reaction to the murder, and the sight of 100,000 people
walking through Istanbul to his funeral, affirmed one of the truths that Mr
Dink upheld. Whatever fiery nationalists of any sort might claim, Turkey has
never been a country of angels who can do no serious wrong, nor a nation of
demons from which nothing good can come. Any honest look at history’s
hardest questions must start from there.

The same thought must surely have occurred to some Armenians from other
places who went to Turkey, many for the first time, for this week’s funeral.
The fate of their forebears who endured death marches through Anatolia does
not tell the whole story of relations between the Turks and the Armenians:
the story has noble pages as well as black ones, and Mr Dink believed that
both should be read. He was right.

If that history really is to be discovered, the least helpful thing a state
can do is penalise those who question the official version. It is wrong to
prosecute those who accept the view expressed by many contemporary
observers: that in 1915, the authorities did not just relocate hundreds of
thousands of Armenians, they tried to make sure most of them died. And it is
just as bad to prosecute those who deny the Armenians suffered genocide, as
a new French law would do. Even against deniers of the Nazi holocaust,
argument is a better weapon than heavy-handed law.

There are clearly plenty of Turkish citizens who agree with all this: that
was the message of hope from Mr Dink’s funeral. It is not the first time
that a display of Turkey’s worst side has prompted a huge show of "people
power" by ordinary citizens. A decade ago, when a car crash exposed links
between the security forces and the criminal underworld, millions of Turks
protested. What such demonstrations highlight is the irrelevance of much of
Turkey’s formal political debate to its real dilemma: will its future be
shaped by the freely expressed will of its citizens-as behoves a candidate
member of the European Union-or by more shadowy forces such as extreme
nationalism or an uncontrolled state? Whatever the setbacks, hope for the
better way is very much still alive.

But if Mr Dink is to be honoured in death, popular indignation will not
suffice. Recep Tayyip Erdogan, Turkey’s moderate Islamist prime minister,
should rescind Article 301 of the penal code which outlaws "insults to
Turkishness". This sinister provision in a new code, which was supposed to
modernise Turkey’s legal system, has been a huge step backwards. It gives
fanatics the chance to haul before the courts some of Turkey’s best
journalists, including Mr Dink, as well as writers and scholars. Worse,
noisy prosecutions have exposed many people to the rage of hotheads whose
reaction to straight talk about history is to reach for their guns.

It will take courage to reverse Article 301. But the murder of a man of
principle has created a new climate in which things previously inconceivable
become imperative. Mr Erdogan’s European friends will cheer if he seizes the
moment.