Armenian Ex-Minister’s Brother Receives Suspended Sentence

ARMENIAN EX-MINISTER’S BROTHER RECEIVES SUSPENDED SENTENCE

Aravot
March 27 2008
Armenia

"Siradeghyan received a conditional sentence"

Court trials of some people arrested as a result of the post-election
events ended yesterday [26 March]. Seryozha Siradeghyan, the elder
brother of [former Interior Minister] Vano Siradeghyan [who was in
the office in the 1990s], was released from the court room. He has
received a suspended sentence of two and a half years in prison.

Some reports say that Yura Mamyan [arrested together with Siradeghyan
and facing the same charges] received a suspended sentence as well. A
member of the Alternative initiative [which supports former President
Levon Ter-Petrosyan], Norayr Norikyan, was released from isolation
cell yesterday [26 March], after giving a written statement that he
will not leave Yerevan.

WSJ: Campaigns Quick To Shake Loose Cannons

CAMPAIGNS QUICK TO SHAKE LOOSE CANNONS
By Christopher Cooper

Wall Street Journal
March 25 2008

Presidential candidates have gotten touchy about their prominent
friends. Sen. Hillary Clinton dropped former Rep. Geraldine Ferraro
from her campaign, Sen. Barack Obama backed away from Rev. Jeremiah
Wright and academic Samantha Power, and Sen. John McCain rebuked Texas
televangelist James Hagee — all because of divisive statements the
friends made.

The shifts illustrate a reality in this closely fought contest: When
a misstep, or the appearance of one, sparks negative press, campaigns
are quick to throw a high-profile supporter overboard rather than
mount damage control.

One unusual breakup is the Clinton campaign’s split with Chicago
businessman Mehmet Celebi, who was relieved of duty as a fund-raiser.

Mr. Celebi was dismissed on the basis of assertions on the Internet,
which he denies, that he produced and bankrolled a film that is
anti-Semitic and anti-American.

Earlier this year, a group of bloggers accused Mr. Celebi of
anti-Semitism and of denying that the Holocaust occurred.

When those allegations began cropping up in the mainstream press,
the Clinton campaign acted swiftly. "[W]e made the decision that he
would no longer be fund-raising for us," said Clinton communications
director Howard Wolfson in a recent email response to an inquiry.

The campaign didn’t determine whether the charges were true. Mr.

Celebi, the former longtime president of the Chicago chapter of the
Turkish-American Cultural Association, said he is the victim of a
smear campaign that he thinks may have been started by a group of
disgruntled Armenians. "It’s racism, that’s what it is," said Mr.

Celebi in a telephone interview from Istanbul, Turkey, where he was
on business.

At the heart of Mr. Celebi’s trouble is an obscure 2006 film titled
"Valley of the Wolves." The movie, produced by a Turkish company called
Pana Film, shares the name of a campy television action series popular
in Turkey. Mr. Celebi has producer credit on several of the television
series’ segments, two of which featured actress Sharon Stone.

But the movie, starring Gary Busey and Billy Zane, bears little
relation to the television series. It depicts U.S. soldiers in Iraq
torturing and killing Iraqi civilians until the soldiers are foiled
by a small band of Turkish commandos. The movie was popular in Turkey
but never released in the U.S.

Groups, including the Catholic League, condemned the film as
anti-American propaganda and criticized Messrs. Busey and Zane for
taking part. Critics also say the film is anti-Semitic, as evidenced by
the character portrayed by Mr. Busey — a Jewish doctor who harvests
organs from Arab captives in Iraq’s Abu Ghraib prison for resale in
Tel Aviv and the U.S.

~U The Trend: Presidential campaigns are quick to throw a high-profile
supporter overboard rather than mount damage control when a misstep,
or the appearance of one, sparks negative press.

~U The Move: The Clinton campaign split with a Chicago fund-raiser on
the basis of assertions by bloggers that he produced and bankrolled
a film that is anti-Semitic and anti-American.

~U The Catch: The campaign made the move without fully investigating
the claims.Mr. Zane’s agent, Matt Luber, had no comment. Vicki
Roberts, a lawyer for Mr. Busey, said, "We have something in this
country called the First Amendment, which protects every American’s
freedom of expression."

The bloggers accused Mr. Celebi of producing and bankrolling the film
and then criticized Sen. Clinton for the company she keeps. Last month,
the movie, along with Mr. Celebi and Sen. Clinton, got brief mention
in the New York Post’s Page 6 gossip section. Shortly afterward,
the campaign quietly cut contact with Mr. Celebi.

"I’m not suggesting he is anti-Semitic," Mr. Wolfson said. "Our
concern was over his connection to the film."

While Mr. Celebi didn’t finance the film, a movie-production company
he co-owns, BMH Worldwide LLC, supplied the American actors. And Mr.

Celebi appeared briefly in the film as an extra — recruited by an
assistant director for an unscripted scene when he showed up on the
set with Mr. Zane.

"My role in the whole movie was limited to being a waiter, serving
them dessert and telling them that ‘These gentlemen are here to see
you,’ " Mr. Celebi said. He said he didn’t know what the movie was
about. "Since my scene was unscripted and I didn’t have any other
lines, I was not provided a script."

Pana Film put out a release earlier this month to confirm that this
was the extent of Mr. Celebi’s involvement.

Mr. Celebi said he viewed the film as carrying an antiwar message,
though he conceded it "could be perceived as anti-American." He said
he didn’t fully agree with the movie’s message and never saw the film
screened until its premiere in Istanbul.

"I’m just sick about it," said Mr. Celebi, adding that his "being
labeled as an anti-Semite" was the most stinging insult of all. "I’ve
worked against these things all my life. It’s racism; it got started
because of my ethnic background."

It is possible that Mr. Celebi, a prominent Turkish-American, was
singled out in part because of a bill that was opposed by the Bush
administration and failed to pass Congress last year.

The measure would have condemned Turkey for its role in the mass
killings of Armenians during the waning days of the Ottoman Empire
and brought the long-simmering issue to the fore among Turks, Kurds
and Armenians.

Joel J. Sprayregen, a Chicago corporate lawyer and past national
vice chairman of the Anti-Defamation League, backs Mr. Celebi’s
assertions. Mr. Sprayregen says he has known Mr. Celebi for about seven
years. "It would be hard for me to spend time with an anti-Semite,"
Mr. Sprayregen says. "This is a journalistic lynching."

Mr. Sprayregen adds that he is a Republican and isn’t supporting
Sen. Clinton.

The Clinton campaign has no plans to return the money Mr. Celebi
raised or the personal donation he gave of $4,300, Mr. Wolfson said.

He declined to comment further.

By contrast, the campaign refunded more than $800,000 after last
fall’s revelations that it received substantial sums from associates
of fund-raiser and convicted felon Norman Hsu. And Sen. Obama has
continued to give to charity the $250,000 or so in donations linked
to former political patron Antoin Rezko, a Chicago developer currently
on trial for influence peddling.

Kyrgyzstan Says Russians Will Retain Military Presence

KYRGYZSTAN SAYS RUSSIANS WILL RETAIN MILITARY PRESENCE

RIA Novosti
13:21 | 25/ 03/ 2008

BISHKEK, March 25 (RIA Novosti) – Kyrgyzstan has never questioned the
presence of Russian troops and military facilities on its territory
and has no plans for their withdrawal, the Kyrgyz defense minister
said on Tuesday.

"The agreement on the presence is automatically extended each year,"
Ismail Isakov said, adding that, "it is beneficial for both sides."

The minister said that Russia annually pays some $4.5 million to
Kyrgyzstan for the military bases and also provides Bishkek with
military and technical equipment as part of the lease agreements.

He added that this year Kyrgyzstan expects to receive from Moscow
military and technical equipment worth $2.5 million.

The minister also said Russia has a naval base on the shores of
Late Issyk-Kul, a Russian air base in Kant and military units in
Chaldovar village.

The minister’s statement comes in the wake of Kyrgyz President
Kurmanbek Bakiyev’s announcement last month that Bishkek would
eventually demand that the United States close down its Ganci airbase
at Manas airport, some 30 kilometers (17 miles) east of the capital,
which supports antiterrorism operations in Afghanistan.

Although Russia has encouraged Bishkek to demand the withdrawal of
American troops, the impoverished nation of five million depends on
U.S. support and the military base has generated jobs and is a strong
contributor to the Kyrgyz economy.

Russia established in October 2003 its own airbase in Kant, about
20 miles west of the Kyrgyz capital. The Russian base currently
deploys about 400 troops, as well as 20 combat and transport planes,
helicopters, and L-39 trainers.

Russian troops are stationed at Kant under an agreement in the
framework of the Collective Security Treaty Organization (CSTO) – a
regional security bloc in Central Asia, which also includes Armenia,
Belarus, Kazakhstan, Tajikistan and Uzbekistan.

Armenia, China’s Sinkiang Uygur Province Consider Economic Cooperati

ARMENIA, CHINA’S SINKIANG UYGUR PROVINCE CONSIDER ECONOMIC COOPERATION PROSPECTS

ARKA
March 24, 2008

YEREVAN, March 24. /ARKA/. Serge Sargsyan, Armenian president elect,
discussed economic cooperation prospects with the delegation of
Chinese Sinkiang Uygur province’s delegation on Saturday in Yerevan.

Govenrmental press office told ARKA News Agency that Gagik Tsarukyan,
Armenian tycoon and Prosperous Armenia party leader, and Tigran
Sargsyan, the chairman of the Central Bank of Armenia, were present
at the meeting.

The Chinese delegation congratulated Serge Sargsyan on his election
and wished him success.

Sargsyan, in turn, greeted guests and placed it on record that
Armenian-Chinese political and economic relations are developing in
due course.

Sargsyan views the Chinese delegation visit to Armenia as convincing
evidence of growing interest in Armenian market.

He stressed the importance of favorable business environment and
competition and said Armenia takes effective steps for creating this
environment.

Bryza: The Date And Place Of The Next Meeting Of The Presidents Rema

BRYZA: THE DATE AND PLACE OF THE NEXT MEETING OF THE PRESIDENTS REMAINS UNCLEAR

armradio.am
22.03.2008 12:42

The issue of the date and place of the next meeting of the Presidents
of Azerbaijan and Armenia remains unclear, the US Co-Chairman of the
OSCE Minsk Group Matthew Bryza told Trend News.

According to unofficial information, the meeting of the Presidents
of Azerbaijan and Armenia regarding peaceful settlement of the
Nagorno-Karabakh conflict may take place at the beginning of April
in Bucharest within the NATO summit. Yerevan and Baku highlighted
their preparedness to re-establish the negotiations process which was
suspended as a result of presidential elections in Armenia in February.

The U.S. Co-Chairman said that the President of Armenia, Robert
Kocharyan, who completes his presidential term will not participate in
the NATO Bucharest summit, and the newly elected President of Armenia,
Serge Sargsyan, will come to the presidential oath no earlier than
9 April, Bryza said, adding that it remains unclear when the next
meeting of the leaders of the two countries will take place.

The U.S. politician considers that the fair and sustainable settlement
of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict remains as one of the key issues of
the US-Azerbaijan partnership. "The United States and Azerbaijan
are satisfied with the deep friendship and strong strategic
partnership. The high-ranking officials of Azerbaijan clearly
made aware Washington that they intend to, in every possible way,
strengthen and intensify our close relations in a wide diapason of
issues of mutual interest," said the Deputy Assistant Secretary of
State for European and Eurasian Affairs, Matthew Bryza.

ARF And Orinats Yerkir Join The Ruling Coalition

ARF AND ORINATS YERKIR JOIN THE RULING COALITION

ARMENPRESS
March 21, 2008

YEREVAN, MARCH 21, ARMENPRESS: Leaders of four parties which have
the majority of seats in the parliament, signed today an agreement
to form a new broad-based government.

On behalf of the governing Republican Party it was signed by
president-elect, prime minister Serzh Sarkisian, Gagik Tsarukian
signed it on behalf of the Prosperous Armenia, Arthur Baghdasarian
on behalf of the Orinats Yerkir (Country of Law) party and Armen
Rustamian on behalf of the Armenian Revolutionary Federation (ARF).

In a joint declaration the four parties said their main objectives
are to form an effective government that enjoys the support of the
overwhelming majority of Armenians, to deepen democratic reforms,
improve human rights protection mechanisms, to carry out sweeping
and brave reforms to drastically improve living conditions of the
population.

The agreement will be in force until the deadline of the current
parliament’s term, however, any party to the agreement is eligible
to renounce it.

Serzh Sarkisian described the agreement as ‘unprecedented’ saying
unlike past agreements that were signed to form coalition governments,
this political coalition’s major objectives are to carry serious,
larges-scale reforms and changes.

Armen Rustamian said the agreement was the product of protracted
negotiations. He said the new coalition will have to work hard to
diffuse post-election tensions.

Arthur Baghdasarian stressed the fact that these four parties won the
majority of votes both in the parliamentary and presidential elections.

According To Data Of Nagorno-Karabakh National Statistic Service

ACCORDING TO DATA OF NAGORNO-KARABAKH NATIONAL STATISTIC SERVICE

DeFacto Agency
March 20 2008
Armenia

YEREVAN, 20.03.08. DE FACTO. According to January 1, 2008, the
number of the Nagorno-Karabakh Republic population was 138 thousand
834 people, which is 0, 8 % more than the level of the same period
last year.

According to the information DE FACTO received at the NKR National
Statistic service, 51,6% of the Republic population are town-dwellers
(growth is 1,2 %), and 48,4 % are countrymen (growth is 0,3, %).

By yearly 2008, 48, 1% of the population were men, 51, 9 % – women.

36, 7 % of the NKR population resides in Stepanakert.

Last year the level of unemployment was 5, 1 %, which is 1 % lower
than the index of 2006. 92, 1% of the unemployed are women. According
to data of early 2008, there are 550 children and people of pension
age per each 1000 able-bodied people.

BAKU: Khazar Ibrahim: "The UN Resolution Must Be Observed By Everyth

KHAZAR IBRAHIM: "THE UN RESOLUTION MUST BE OBSERVED BY EVERYTHING INCLUDING THE OSCE MINSK GROUP AND ARMENIA"

Today
tics/43828.html
March 19 2008
Azerbaijan

We have said more than once that Nagorno Karabakh conflict can
be settled only in the framework of the territorial integrity of
Azerbaijan, which means the withdrawal of Armenia’s occupational
troops from all the occupied lands, including Nagorno Karabakh.

The due statement was made by the spokesman for Azerbaijan’s Foreign
Ministry Khazar Ibrahim at a traditional briefing in the Ministry.

He noted that the status of Nagorno Karabakh can be defined at the
next stages of the conflict resolution.

Ibrahim said commenting on the announcement of OSCE Minsk Group
co-chair Matthew Bryza in the interview to Voice of America radio
station about the necessity to withdraw Armenian troops from
Azerbaijan, that on the whole the co-chairs voice their support of
the principle of territorial integrity of Azerbaijan.

"The fact that the co-chairing countries voted against the UN
resolution, which fixes the principle of territorial integrity of
Azerbaijan, is not clear and is a mistake. The resolution, adopted by
the UN reflects a part of Madrid proposals. If the UN resolution has
been adopted, everyone, including the OSCE Minsk Group and Armenia
should observe it", he said.

Touching upon the resentment of the representatives of a number of
NGOs, as well as parliamentarians, by the actions of the Minsk Group,
he noted that it can be understood.

He said the co-chairs should understand that the Azerbaijani community
will not assess such steps as positive and this may certainly influence
their activity.

"We continue our work with the co-chairs. Elmar Mamedyarov met them
in Paris. Before and after the adoption of the resolution in the UN,
we have stated to the co-chairs that their position is not correct.

However, the matter is not about changing the format of talks. At
the same time, the resolution, adopted in the United Nations, creates
parameters for talks", he said.

http://www.today.az/news/poli

Sirusho To Perform 14th

SIRUSHO TO PERFORM 14TH

armradio.am
19.03.2008 15:15

Sirusho representing Armenia at Eurovision Song Contest 2008 will
perform 14th at the first semifinal due on May 20.

According to the Head of the Foreign Relations Department of Public
TV Diana Mnatsakanyan, representatives of 19 countries will perform in
the first semifinal. Azerbaijan, Russia and Greece were provided with
the opportunity to choose under which number they would like to sing.

The second semifinal will take place on May 22 and will feature
representatives of as many countries. From this group of countries,
Macedonia, Portugal and Denmark were given the opportunity to choose
their numbers.

According to Diana Mnatsakanyan, the staging of Sirusho’s "Qele-Qele"
song has already been introduced to the organizers of the Eurovision .