Opp intends to appeal to EC against state violations during election

Armenian opposition intends to appeal to European Court against state
bodies’ violations during presidential election

2008-04-26 13:42:00

ArmInfo. The Armenian opposition intends to appeal to the European
Court against the state bodies’ violations during the presidential
election on February 19, 2008.

As the press-release sent to ArmInfo says, the relevant decision was
taken at the April 25 session of the Center of Nationwide Movement,
which unifies the political parties that supported first RA president
Levon Ter-Petrosyan’s candidacy during the election. A decision was
taken to start preparing the relevant claim. A working group of experts
was set up to prepare the claim. It unifies Armenian and foreign
lawyers.

Uranium Mining Drilling Starts

URANIUM MINING DRILLING STARTS

Panorama.am
17:25 22/04/2008

In a half year the drilling process of the Uranium Mining in Syunik
will start, and it will be followed by geological research of the
mine and the processing activities will start, said the minister of
Environmental Protection in a conference, today.

According to the minister the cooperation with Russian "Rosatom"
company will give a chance to finish the work even before it is
scheduled.

According to the minister the Russian side disposed 3mln dollars. And
the increase of the sum depends on the activities. After the uranium is
found the company will dispose even more money and start implementing
its functions.

According to Nikolay Spasski, the executive director of the "Rosatom"
corporation they discussed the question with the minister and ensured
that the activities should be seriously treated. According to the
experts in 3-4 years serious results will be found.

Turkey Says It Wants Dialogue With New Armenian Government

TURKEY SAYS IT WANTS DIALOGUE WITH NEW ARMENIAN GOVERNMENT

PR-Inside.com (Pressemitteilung)
April 21 2008
Austria

Turkey (AP) – Turkey’s foreign minister said Monday he was seeking
a dialogue with Armenia’s new government to try to normalize ties
between two neighbors that have no diplomatic relations.

Ali Babacan told reporters he had written to his Armenian counterpart
saying that Turkey "is open to dialogue with the aim of normalizing
Turkish-Armenian ties in the new era.

A historical dispute has prevented the two nations from having
diplomatic relations.

Armenia says Turks killed up to 1.5 million Armenians around the time
of World War I, toward the end of the Ottoman Empire, in what it says
should be labeled genocide. Turkey says the killings occurred at a
time of civil conflict and that the casualty figures are inflated.

Turkey also closed its border with Armenia in 1993 during a war
between Armenia and Azerbaijan _ a Muslim ally of Ankara. The move
hurt the economy of tiny, landlocked Armenia.

"Admittedly we have problems, some of which date back 100 years,"
Babacan said, when he was asked about Turkey-Armenia relations
during a news conference with visiting Austrian Foreign Minister
Ursula Plassnik.

"But the only way of overcoming these problems is through dialogue. Our
doors are open to dialogue in this new period," Babacan said.

There was no immediate reaction to Babacan’s comments in Armenia.

But the Armenian Foreign Ministry referred The Associated Press to a
recent interview by newly appointed Foreign Minister Edvard Nalbandian
in which he said: "With regard to our relations to Turkey, we have,
on various occasions, expressed our readiness to normalize them
without any precondition.

"The genocide is a dark page of our common history and together we
have to turn this page and together must build a secure future,"
Nalbandian said.

As the result of Armenia’s February election, Serge Sarkisian, a
former prime minister, was sworn earlier this month as the country’s
third president since the collapse of the Soviet Union.

Supporters of Sarkisian’s challenger, former President Levon
Ter-Petrosian, and other opposition activists staged mass protests
in the capital, Yerevan, alleging fraud. Clashes later broke out with
police, prompting authorities to declare a 20-day state of emergency,
which was lifted last month.

West Ready To Accept "Unfair Peace" In Karabakh

WEST READY TO ACCEPT "UNFAIR PEACE" IN KARABAKH

Zerkalo
April 17 2008
Azerbaijan

An independent Azerbaijani newspaper has said that the West wants to
resolve the Nagornyy Karabakh conflict in its own interests.

"The West does not want to fight instead of us," the Baku-based Zerkalo
newspaper reported on 17 April. "They want to sign a Karabakh agreement
as soon as possible in order to continue pumping Azerbaijan’s energy
resources under stable conditions and use its territories for strategic
aims. They are ready to support any unfair peace accord for the sake
of this."

Zerkalo said US Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice’s recent call
on Armenia and Azerbaijan to resolve the conflict over the disputed
territory was "a call on the Baku government for compromises".

"We do not have methods against the superpowers which openly protect
Armenia’s interests," the daily said. "Even if the Azerbaijani
leadership manages to refuse to sign a disgraceful peace agreement
soon, the issue about compromises will be on the agenda for a long
time."

In the same report, the paper quoted Azerbaijani Deputy Foreign
Minister Araz Azimov as saying that Russia should state its support
for the Nagornyy Karabakh conflict resolution on the basis of
Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity and within its internationally
recognized borders.

"The resolution of the conflict on the basis of territorial integrity
should be supported in practice," Zerkalo quoted Azimov as saying.

Zerkalo also quoted Voice of America as saying that in its recent
report, the US Department of State said that the US government did
not recognize Nagornyy Karabakh as an independent state and supported
Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity, adding that Karabakh’s status
should be defined through talks. The US State Department report
described as perfect the efforts of the OSCE Minsk Group, which
mediates a solution to the Nagornyy Karabakh conflict, Zerkalo said.

ABM Donor Registry Raises $300,000 for Stem Cell Harvesting Center

Armenian Bone Marrow Donor Registry
3111 Los Feliz Ave. #206
Los Angeles, CA 90039
Tel: (323) 663 – 3609
Fax: (323) 662 – 3648

Armenian Bone Marrow Donor Registry Raises $300,000
Funding for Stem Cell Harvesting Center in Armenia Exceeds Halfway Mark

(BURBANK, CA). While many Southern Californians were relaxing at home
Sunday evening, a group of dedicated volunteers was busy answering
phone calls from across the globe. During the Armenian Bone Marrow
Registry’s first telethon, thousands of people from USA, Canada and
Middle East pledged more than $300,000 toward a campaign to establish
a Stem Cell Harvesting Center in Yerevan, Republic of Armenia.
"This outpouring of support is phenomenal," exclaimed Registry
President Dr. Frieda Jordan. "Not only has it exceeded our
expectations as far as monetary goals, it has set a precedent in
rallying the entire community – regardless of race, region, or
political affiliation – behind a cause that will save lives throughout
the world for many years to come." The telethon is part of the
Registry’s "Be An Angel, Save A Life" Campaign to raise a total of
$850,000 to fully fund the Center which, when established, will bring
the life-saving procedure of stem cell transplantation within the
reach of many more patients with leukemia and other life-threatening
blood diseases, and will play a vital role in the treatment of other
diseases such as cancers, diabetes, and heart ailments. The Center
will be the only one of its kind in the Caucasian region.
The telethon, which was broadcasted on Horizon, High Vision, ATV, ISN
and LA View television channels and webcasted on the Registry’s
website, was directed by Emmy Award-winning Director Mark Mardoyan and
hosted by Dr. Evelyn Baghdasarian, Paul Chaderjian, Arayik Ghazarian,
and Manoug Seyradariyan. Notable among the "Angels" who responded to
the appeal were the Kazarians Family, who made a donation in memory of
Mariana Kazarians, a founding board member of the Registry; the Owens
and Devorris Families; the Titizian Family, in memory of Arlene
Titizian; the Atikian Family; and Mr. and Mrs. Stepan and Linda
Vartanian. Several businesses and organizations made significant
contributions, including the American Development and Investment,
Inc.; the Armenian Relief Society’s Family of 12 chapters; St Mary’s
Armenian Apostolic Church of Glendale; Holy Martyr’s ARS Ashkhen
Pilavjian Pre-school; Lakeside Medical Group, through former
Assemblymember Keith Richman; Executive Council of the Prelacy of the
Armenian Church of Northern Iran; and Glendale Memorial Hospital, a
long-time supporter of the Registry.
Many of these major contributors to the project will be recognized by
having a room at the Center named after them. Additionally, 400
donors who pledged $250 each will be honored on the "Wall of Angels."
The overall success of the telethon would not have been possible
without the thousands of donors from around the world who pledged
donations below $500. Registry Executive Director Dr. Sevak Avagyan,
who made a special visit from Yerevan for the event, emphasized this
stating, "Every dollar contributed is a step closer to saving a life
in the future; we are grateful to each and every Angel tonight."
The success of the telethon moves the organization within $350,000 of
reaching its goal to establish the Center. Initial funds for the
project totaling just over $200,000 were donated by the Lincy
Foundation, private individuals, and Registry Board member Carolann
Najarian. The Registry hopes to raise the remaining funds in the next
five months. A key part of completing the campaign is the Third
Annual Walk-A-Thon on Saturday, June 21 at Griffith Park in Los
Angeles.
"We are extremely grateful to all who have pledged their support; days
after the telethon we continue to receive donations through phone
calls to our offices, on our website, and even personal visits," Dr.
Jordan noted. "But we still have a big challenge ahead of us. We are
hopeful that there are many more Angels out there who will see the
opportunity to make a significant difference – to help save lives."
Those who wish to "Be an Angel, Save a Life" by supporting the Stem
Cell Harvesting Center may contact President Dr. Frieda Jordan at 3111
Los Feliz Blvd., Suite 206, Los Angeles, CA; by calling (323)
663-3609; or going on the Registry website, .

Be An Angel, Save a Life

www.abmdr.am

Levon Ter-Petrosyan’s supporters’ rally ended under disguised shouti

Levon Ter-Petrosyan’s supporters’ rally ended under disguised shouting of oppositionists as a reply to the actions of the police

2008-04-19 17:20:00

ArmInfo. Levon Ter-Petrosyan’s supporters’ rally has ended under the
disguised shouting of oppositionists as a reply to the actions of the
police, which switched off electric devices at 5:00 PM, the time of
possible ending of the rally declared in advance.

Chairman of Levon Ter-Petrosyan’s election headquarters, his former
press-secretary Levon Zurabyan said that when the rally started
electric power was switched off for 30 minutes, and now they have to
continue the rally for 30 minutes. But the talks between organizers
of the rally and policemen had no result. After that supporters of
the opposition were shouting anti-governmental slogans for several
minutes and then left as the rally organizers called them to do it.As
the equipment was disconnected from energy supply, the leaders of two
large oppositional parties had no chance to make a speech, – Stepan
Demirchyan, the chairman of the People’s Party of Armenia, and Aram
Sargsyan, the head of the Political Council of the "Republic" party.

To note, the City Hall of Yerevan has acknowledged the notification
about the rally for the first time after state of emergency in Yerevan
was lifted. According to ArmInfo correspondent’s estimation, a total of
7-10 thsd people took part in the rally. The rally was held under the
scenario of the similar termless rallies from February 20 till February
29. During the intervals between the speeches, the participants
listened to the music and chanted the slogans "Levon president",
"Fight, fight up to the end", "Free, independent Armenia". After the
rally, some supporters of the opposition went to the Northern Avenue
to take part in the traditional political strolls. Levon Ter-Petrosyan
himself took no part in the April 19 activities.

IMF Executive Director Congratulates PM Tigran Sargsyan

IMF EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR CONGRATULATES PM TIGRAN SARGSYAN

armradio.am
18.04.2008 15:53

The Executive Director of the International Monetary Fund Age Bakker
congratulated RA Prime Minister Tigran Sargsyan on appointment. The
message says, in part:

"Let me use the opportunity to congratulate you on the occasion
of your appointment to the post of Prime Minister of the Republic
of Armenia. As Chairman of the Central Bank, for many years you
have played a pivotal role in the implementation of reforms in
Armenia. Under the conditions of close cooperation with the IMF staff,
your contribution to the above-mentioned process brought to brilliant
results and received a high evaluation. It was a great pleasure for
me to work with you last year. With the anticipation to cooperate in
the future I wish you success in this new position."

BAKU: Azerbaijani Sportsmen Ready To Take Part In Olympic Games If H

AZERBAIJANI SPORTSMEN READY TO TAKE PART IN OLYMPIC GAMES IF HELD IN YEREVAN

Today.Az
/44343.html
April 17 2008
Azerbaijan

"The Armenian-Azerbaijani conflict will have no influence on the
Baku’s struggle for the right to hold the summer 2016 Olympic games.

The due announcement was made by Chingiz Huseynzade, vice president
of the National Olympic Committee of Azerbaijan.

He said the conflict between China and Tibe us did not hinder the
conduction of 2008 Olympic games in Beijing.

"Delegations of 205 countries declared participation in the Beijing
Olympic Games, despite the Tibetus events, by results of the session
of the Association of National Olympic Committee in Beijing. This
proves once more that Olympic movement should not be bound to the
political events", said Huseynzade.

He noted that in case the 2016 Olympic Games are held in Baku Armenian
sportsmen will have no problems with participation.

"Armenian sportsmen will also be able to participate, if the Olympic
Games are held in our capital city. Also, in case it is held in Yerevan
we will also go there and participate. This means that we should not
confuse sport with politics", said he,

Huseynzade noted that Azerbaijani sportsmen will participate in
the Olympic licensed contests of the world and Europe to be held
in Armenia.

"Why did Armenians come to the world fight championship in Baku?

Because this was an Olympic licensed contest. If this contest had
any other status, they would not come. If the contest, held in any
country, involves the whole world, it is impossible for a country, not
conflicting to the organizers, not to participate", said Huseynzade.

http://www.today.az/news/society

Armenian MP Comments On News Government

ARMENIAN MP COMMENTS ON NEW GOVERNMENT

Mediamax
April 16 2008
Armenia

Yerevan, 16 April: The secretary of the parliamentary faction of the
[Armenian Revolutionary Federation -] Dashnaktsutyun party, Artashes
Shahbazyan, has said that the new president and prime minister of
Armenia have taken the promised path and are realizing serious staff
changes.

Speaking at a news conference in Yerevan today, Artashes Shahbazyan
stated that a new, interesting and promising start has been initiated,
which gives people ground to think that the authorities have started
reckoning with the public discontent.

According to him, "society did not applaud the outgoing leadership".

"Today’s Armenia is radically different from the one which existed
before the presidential elections," the secretary of the parliamentary
faction said. One can no longer shut one’s eyes to the fact that
there are economic, foreign policy and internal policy problems in
the country, which cause the discontent of the population, he said.

According to Shahbazyan, it is obvious that ex-President Levon
Ter-Petrosyan will continue playing the role of an opposition leader
in our political life, and it is important that his struggle for
power does not destroy the basics of our statehood but lead to its
consolidation.