US-IRAQ: Religious Violence Spiking, State Dept Says

US-IRAQ: RELIGIOUS VIOLENCE SPIKING, STATE DEPT SAYS
By Khody Akhavi

Inter Press Service
Saturday, September 15, 2007 04:32 GMT
Italy

WASHINGTON, Sep 14 (IPS) – Despite the addition of 30,000 U.S. troops
to enhance security in the country, the freedom of average Iraqis to
practice their religions deteriorated sharply during the past year,
according to a report released Friday by the U.S. State Department.

The ninth "Annual Report on International Religious Freedom", which
covers 198 countries, described continued violence targeting people
of specific faiths in Iraq, and largely blamed the ongoing insurgency,
as well as "conservative and extremist Islamic elements," for harming
the ability of religious believers to practice their faith.

While acknowledging that some Iraqi government institutions continued
their long-standing discriminatory practices against the Baha’i and
Wahhabi Sunni Muslims, the report praised the government of Prime
Minister Nouri Al-Maliki for denouncing all incidents of sectarian
violence and emphasising its commitment to equal treatment for
religious groups and ethnicities.

The Iraqi Constitution protects religious freedom yet focuses
predominantly on Iraq’s Islamic identity, mandating that Islam be
considered a source of legislation and that no law be enacted that
contradicts the faith’s universally agreed-upon tenets.

"While conditions deteriorated during the reporting period, this
situation was not due to Government abuse," said the report. "Unsettled
conditions prevented effective governance in parts of the country,
and the Government’s ability to protect religious freedoms was
handicapped by insurgency, terrorism, and sectarian violence."

Four years after the toppling of Saddam Hussein’s government, more
than 1.9 million Iraqis remain displaced inside their country and
more than 2 million have fled abroad to neighbouring countries such
as Syria, Jordan, Iran, Egypt and Lebanon, according to figures from
the United Nations High Commission for Refugees.

Many Iraqis fled before the fall of Hussein’s government in 2003,
but in the following two years, more than 300,000 returned. The
trend reversed, especially after the February 2006 bombing of the
Shiite-revered al-Askari Mosque in Sammara, which intensified sectarian
violence in the country.

Since then, Shiite militia members, unchallenged by the Iraqi
government, have been accused of driving Sunnis from religiously
mixed neighbourhoods in Baghdad. Shiite families experience similar
threats and harassment at the hands of self-professed Sunni insurgents.

Iraq’s Christian community has steadily dissipated, similarly driven
out by a campaign of intimidation and violence. Of the 1.2 million
Christians estimated to be living in the country before the 2003
invasion, only 600,000 remain, according to Chaldean Auxiliary Bishop
Andreos Abouna of Baghdad, as mentioned in the State Department report.

"Although [sectarian violence] affected both the Sunni and Shi’a
secular Muslim population, non-Muslims were especially vulnerable to
pressure and violence, because of their minority status and, often,
because of the lack of a protective tribal structure," said the report.

Shi’a Muslims — predominantly Arabs, but also including Turkmen,
Faili Kurds, and other groups — constitute 60 to 65 percent of the
population. Sunni Muslims make up a 32 to 37 percent minority. The
remaining 3 percent is comprised of Christian groups such as Chaldeans,
Assyrians, Syriacs, Armenians, and Protestants, as well as Yazidis,
Sabean-Mandeans, Bahai’s, Shabaks and Kaka’is.

The Kurdistan Regional Government (KRG) is also alleged to have engaged
in discriminatory practices against religious minorities. Christians
living north of the city of Mosul claimed that the "KRG confiscated
their property without compensation and began building settlements
on their land."

Despite the claims, non-Muslims were among the 160,000 Iraqis who
fled to Kurdish controlled Northern Iraq from more volatile areas in
the middle and southern parts of the country, according to estimates
by the Iraqi Red Crescent Society.

The George W. Bush administration’s "surge strategy" was aimed, in
part, at providing increased security for all Iraqi citizens and, thus,
breathing room for political reconciliation among Iraq’s increasingly
adversarial political factions.

However, the report underscores the extent to which Iraq’s population
continues to be polarised along sectarian lines, as well as the
blurring lines between religiously-inspired violence and political
forces that utilise religion to achieve political ends.

"It is fair to say the attacks can be laid at the feet of the
insurgency, whatever and whoever it is," said Joe Stork, a Middle
East expert at Human Rights Watch.

Stork described violence carried out by government-connected Shi’a
"death squads" as not having "religious freedom connotations" per se,
but rather as manifestations of political violence.

"The point of a deadly political contest," he said.

Analysts are leery of comparing the conditions of religious freedom in
Iraq under Hussein to the current situation. Stork would not comment
on the issue.

But the U.S. Committee for International Religious Freedom (USCIRF),
an independent, bipartisan federal agency that monitors freedom of
belief and gives independent policy recommendations to the secretary
of state, has placed Iraq on its "watch list" one rung below "countries
of particular concern (CPC)."

Iraq was designated a CPC under Hussein from 1999 to 2002 because
of systematic government violations of religious freedom, but was
dropped from the list following the U.S. intervention and subsequent
collapse of Hussein’s government.

"Today the issues are different, but extremely serious," said Judith
Ingram, communications director at USCIRF. She said Iraq would be
moved to the list of CPCs if improvements to religious freedom are
not made in the next year.

The USCIRF has urged the U.S. government to take more effective
action to respond to the growing refugee crisis that has grown due to
the sectarian violence, and will hold a public hearing on Sep. 19 to
examine intra-Muslim sectarian violence, including what role, if any,
the Iraqi government plays in that violence.

"From what we’ve seen and written so far, this government body does
believe the Iraqi government does bear some responsibility, and
we’re trying to determine further how direct that responsibility is,"
said Ingram.

9th Annual Armenian Film Festival at Fresno State

PRESS RELEASE

Armenian Film Festival
5245 N Backer Ave. PB4
Fresno, CA 93740-8001
Tel: 559-278-4930
Email: [email protected]

9th Annual Armenian Film Festival – Spring 2008 (Date to be Announced)

Sponsored by the Armenian Students Organization
Armenian Studies Program
California State University, Fresno
Partially funded by the Diversity Awareness Program of the
University Student Union, CSU Fresno

Call for Entries

Entries are being sought for the 9th Annual Armenian Film Festival to
be held on the California State University, Fresno campus.
Films made by Armenian directors/writers, or films with an Armenian
theme are being sought.

Films up to 1 hour in length
Films may be in any language, English preferred
Films may be on any topic, Armenian theme preferred
Film must be in video (NTSC)/DVD format

DEADLINE FOR ENTRIES TO BE RECEIVED IS JANUARY 15, 2008.

Please send the video/DVD to:

Armenian Film Festival
c/o Armenian Studies Program
5245 N Backer Ave. PB4
Fresno, CA 93740-8001

Entries should be accompanied by a CV of the director/writer and a
synopsis of the film.

Telephone 559-278-4930
Email: [email protected]

The Festival Committee will meet to view and judge which entries
will be accepted for the Film Festival. Entrants will be contacted
by email with the decisions.

Ohan Potrumian Awarded "Haikazun And Anahit Vardivarian" "Zartonk" P

OHAN POTRUMIAN AWARDED "HAIKAZUN AND ANAHIT VARDIVARIAN" "ZARTONK" PRESS PRIZE
Translated by L.H.

AZG Armenian Daily #165
12/09/2007

Social

Lebanese-Armenian publicist and pedagogue Ohan Potrumian was awarded
an annual press prize of Beirut "Zartonk".

On August 28, public figure Hakob Vardivarian (from New York) gave
the prize of 2006 to the Lebanese-Armenian publicist Ohan Potrumian
at a ceremony in Beirut . Representatives of Lebanese-Armenian
press, intellectuals, public and cultural figures participated at
the ceremony.

Chief editor of "Zartonk" Paruyr Aghbashian, Fh. Andranik Kranian,
Gaspar Terterian, Jirair Nairi spoke about the social and pedagogical
activities of Ohan Potrumian. Member of Ramkavar Azatakan Party (RAP),
publicist Hakob Vardivarian made a speech, too.

Ohan Potrumian thanked for the prize and mentioned about the big
role of Diaspora’s press in the observance of Armenian traditions,
culture and language. He expressed a hope for the re-publication of
"Zartonk", as its publication had been stopped for 8 months.

Ohan Potrumian was born in 1944. He srudied at Melgonian College
of Cyprus. After that he graduated from the Faculty of Philology
of Yerevan State University. Then he has devoted himself to the
pedagogical sphere teaching Armenian History and Armenian Language
at AGBU schools. From 1990 to 1999 he worked as director of Nuparian
preparatory and Alek Manukian secondary college in Montevideo.

He contributes to RAP press many years.

Armenian Border Guards To Participate In Commonwealth Session

ARMENIAN BORDER GUARDS TO PARTICIPATE IN COMMONWEALTH SESSION

Panorama.am
20:58 11/09/2007

A delegation of Armenian border guards will participate in a session
of border army commanders from Commonwealth states in the capital
of Kazakhstan on September 12. As informed to panorama.am, the
Armenian delegation will be led by head officer of the border army,
Valeri Atayan.

During the session, member countries will discuss a series of issues
and opinions will be shared concerning conditions on the countries’
borders, as well as cooperation on these issues. They will come to
conclusions about the year’s activities, will discuss about how to
struggle together against false documents, and a working plan for
the 2008 session.

We also inform that besides Armenia’s participation in the session,
delegations from Azerbaijan, Belarus, Georgia, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan,
Moldavia, Russia, Tajikstan, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, and Ukraine
will take part. The session will be headed by Russian general and
leader of Russia’s border army, Vladimir Pronichev.

Two-Day Talks On Extension Of Economic Cooperation Between Armenia A

TWO-DAY TALKS ON EXTENSION OF ECONOMIC COOPERATION BETWEEN ARMENIA AND GERMANY STARTED IN YEREVAN

ArmInfo
2007-09-11 13:57:00

Two-day talks on extension of economic cooperation between Armenia
and Germany started in Yerevan today, Arminfo was informed from
press-service of Armenian Finances and Economy Ministry.

The talks are being held between Rolf Baldus, Head of Central Asia and
South Caucasus Division of Federal Ministry of Economic Cooperation
and Development of Germany and Armenian Finance and Economy Minister
Vardan Khachatryan. The newly appointed Germany’s Ambassador to
Armenia Ms Andrea Wiktorin is a member of the delegation. The parties
will discuss the joint programmes in the sphere of finances, private
sector, energy, water supply and ecology being fulfilled in Armenia
as well as the prospects of further cooperation. As a result of the
talks they are going to sign a memorandum on partnership development
between the two states.

To recall, the Armenian-German economic cooperation started 14
years ago.

Opposition Must Unite

OPPOSITION MUST UNITE

Panorama.am
21:14 10/09/2007

Former foreign minister Alexander Arzumanyan is not leaving
the political scene, as he stated in a meeting with journalists
today. After his four months in solitary confinement, he answered
questions about his future plans, saying he hadn’t decided the format
he would be using. In his own words, time would reveal this. Arzymanyan
also said that he still didn’t know if it was right for the "Citizens
Disobedience" organization would stay separate or not.

Concerning the possible candidacy of former president Levon Ter
Petrosyan for the Armenian presidency, Arzumanyan said he still
hasn’t met with him, so he couldn’t speak with certainty about the
subject. But, he does have an opinion about Ter Petrosyan’s possible
candidacy, which turns out quite agreeable to his party.

Speaking in general about the upcoming elections and the activities
of the opposition, the former minister pointed out that even before
the parliamentary elections he was saying that the opposition was
not going to unite. "If they want things to change, they have to
unite. The time for deciding the format they use is past, as is the
time for meaningless talk…the knife has already reached the bone,"
added Arzumanyan.

250 Tons Of Responsibility Now In Armenia

250 TONES OF RESPONSIBILITY NOW IN ARMENIA

Panorama.am
14:04 10/09/2007

Exhibition "Saint Armenia return home" will open in Armenia as well
from September 15 to November 30. The opening of the exhibition will
take place in Yerevan National Gallery tomorrow to be followed by
a summary session of the Year of Armenia in France. Prime Minister
Serzh Sargsyan and Catholicos of All Armenians will also participate
in the opening of the exhibition.

The organizers say exhibition "Saint Armenia return home" which
runs within the framework of Year of Armenia in France "has been
very successful."

Exclusive cultural samples were exhibited from Armenian History
Museum, Museum of Ancient Manuscripts "Matenadaran" and Holy See
St. Echmiadzin. High commissioner from the Armenian side of the Year
of Armenia in France and assistant to the president of the republic,
Vigen Sargsyan said: "The exhibition had 300 thousand customers during
three months in Louver."

More than 250 tones of samples were transported two-way during
the exhibition. "We considered it 250 tones of responsibility,"
V. Sargsyan said.

5.1 Billion Drams Allocated To Armenia’s Fuel And Energy Sector In 2

5.1 BILLION DRAMS ALLOCATED TO ARMENIA’S FUEL AND ENERGY SECTOR IN 2006

Noyan Tapan
Sep 7, 2007

YEREVAN, SEPTEMBER 7, NOYAN TAPAN. In 2006, the expenditures
of Armenia’s fuel and energy sector made 5.1 bln drams (about
12.75 mln USD), which was 89.6% of the sum envisaged by the state
budget. Investments in the sector are mainly made with credit and grant
resources from foreign sources, and the low index of expenditures in
the sector was mainly conditioned by their low fulfilment index of
these grant and credit programs, the RA deputy minister of finance
and economy, chief treasurer Atom Janjughazian said at the September
7 joint sitting of the RA NA standing committees.

In his words, the budgetary expenditures on the energy sector grew
by 39.8% or 1.4 bln drams as compared with 2005, which was due to
a considerable growth in expenses incurred under the program on
reconstruction of the electricity transmission sector implemented
with the assistance of KfW Bank (Germany).

3.6 bln drams was allocated from the 2006 state budget to the
electricity energy sector, which was 86% of the envisaged sum. The
deviation was mainly conditioned by the low fulfilment index of
the WB credit program on repairs of electric transmission lines and
distribution networks, as well as by non-implementation of the credit
and grant programs on renewable energy. All the envisaged sum of
854.8 mln drams was allocated to the atomic energy sector in 2006 –
for construction of the storehouse for keeping the spent nuclear fuel
of the Armenian Nuclear Power Plant by using a dry method.

Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit In Yerevan

DELHI CHIEF MINISTER SHEILA DIKSHIT IN YEREVAN
By Armen Manvelian, Translated by L.H

AZG Armenian Daily #161
06/09/2007

International

Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit pays a three-day visit to
Yerevan. He came to Armenia according to the agreement concluded
with Robert Kocharian in 2003 and on the invitation of the Mayor of
Yerevan Ervand Zakharian.

On September 4, after the meeting in the Municipality of Yerevan Sheila
Dikshit and Ervand Zakharian answered the questions of the journalists.

"The negotiations covered the issues of local self-governance, also
spheres of science, education and economy", announced the Mayor of
Yerevan Ervand Zakharian, attaching a great importance to the visit of
Delhi Chief Minister Sheilia Dikshit. He mentioned that the commodity
turnover between Armenia and India is already 10 mln USD and there
is an opportunity to increase it. Spheres of agricultural goods’
cultivation and informational technologies are mainly in perspective
according to Ervand Zakharian and Sheila Dikshit.

The sides agreed to sign a Memorandum of mutual understanding aimed
at the improvement of friendly relations between the two cities,
in the near future.

What Is Going On In "Ararat"?

WHAT IS GOING ON IN "ARARAT"?

A1+
[02:18 pm] 04 September, 2007

"What happened to "Ararat" football team?" question is bothering
the society. During the current championship the team showed a very
attractive game, while later it was defeated in 0:6. The main football
scandals in Armenia are around this team. It used to have serious
divergences with the Armenian Football Federation, and was sometimes
left out from championships and played in the first league.

During the last two years the picture has altered drastically. The
owners of "Ararat" team understood that they would not achieve
anything by making scandals. They took constructive measures and
started to treat their job seriously. In 2006 championship "Ararat"
occupied the 4-th place and had the right to participate in Intertoto
Cup Tournament and in 2007 the team headed the tournament table. This
progress is due to the efforts of the chief coach of the team Varuzhan
Sukiasyan. But Sukiasyan had to leave the team since the heads of
the club invited a new coach from abroad.

Dushan Mihich headed "Ararat" and the team was playing well in the
beginning of the championship, though during the last two tours the
team was defeated in 0:6. The interest towards the leading team of
Armenia reduced. "Ararat" is the only team that fights for the title
of champion during the current championship and is competing with
"Pyunik".

The failures are the result of the tensed atmosphere in the team. It
is natural since the footballers in "Ararat" were mainly invited by the
former coach Varuzhan Sukiasyan. The footballers of the team boycotted
the trainings expressing their dissatisfaction with the new coach,
but the heads of the club managed to clam down the tension. The team
is still discontent with the new coach since he is not as professional
as Varuzhan Sukiasyan. Our sources informed that serious discussions
were held to correct the situation. Further meetings will prove their
productivity. The executive director of "Ararat" Varuzhan Eskemizyan
confirmed that they were holding discussions and refused to give
additional information.