ANKARA: 5 Members Of Turkish Family Found Dead In US

5 Members Of Turkish Family of Armenian origin Found Dead In US

Today’s Zaman
May 30, 2008

The decomposed bodies found last weekend in an oceanside home were
identified Tuesday as three generations of a Turkish family.

Manas Uçar, 58, and his wife, Margrit, 48, immigrated from Turkey
years ago, and their twin 21-year-old daughters, Margo and Grace, had
just completed bachelor degrees in biology. The fifth victim, the
family’s maternal grandmother, 72-year-old Fransuhi Kesisoglu, was a
legal resident, said Lt. Erin Giudice, spokeswoman for the Orange
County sheriff. Turkish news reports said the family was of Armenian
origin.

Deputies had visited the home overlooking the Pacific twice in the
past two weeks, prompted by calls from a concerned neighbor and
worried relatives. But deputies found nothing suspicious, and the
callers conceded the family may have taken a vacation. On Sunday, two
brothers forced their way into the house, only to discover the bodies.

Giudice said neither homicide nor suicide had been ruled out, but she
stressed that the community was not in danger and no suspects were
being sought. Autopsies are not yet complete and toxicology results
could take up to eight weeks, she said.

Manas and Margrit Uçar were found in a downstairs closet, with two
handguns near the bodies. One of the handguns was registered to
Margrit Uçar and both husband and wife were shot, Giudice said. The
daughters and grandmother were found in the attached bedroom and the
twins were in the bed, she said. Their bodies were too decomposed to
identify any gunshot wounds. Because the house was built into a cliff,
the bedroom suite where the bodies were found was below ground level,
shielded from view and well-insulated, Giudice said. "Everything was
closed up," she said. "The family and the neighborhood thought they
were on vacation."

Margo and Grace Uçar both finished work toward bachelor degrees in
biology at the University of California, San Diego, this past winter,
said Pat Jacoby, a spokeswoman for the university. Manas Uçar came to
the United States in the 1970s and was on the Syracuse University
faculty about five years, said Eugene Drucker, a retired Syracuse
professor who supervised Manas Uçar’s doctoral dissertation in
mechanical engineering. Uçar’s wife, Margrit, also immigrated from
Turkey and received her US citizenship in 1987 while in Syracuse,
according to an article in the newspaper The Post-Standard.

Manas Uçar became a consulting engineer after leaving the university,
then moved to California in the mid-1990s, Drucker said. The Web site
law.com lists Uçar as an expert on accident reconstruction,
specializing in fires, explosions and seat belt use.

29 May 2008, AP SAN CLEMENTE

Aram Karapetyan Released

ARAM KARAPETYAN RELEASED

Hayots Ashkhar Daily
Published on May 27, 2008
Armenia

By the instruction of the General Prosecutor’s Office, Aram Karapetyan,
who was arrested within the frameworks of a criminal case examined
under the proceedings of the Investigative Department of the National
Security on condition of not leaving the republic. The precautionary
means was changed on account of the health condition of the accused.

On May 22, Aram Karapetyan submitted a motion to the Prosecutor
General, with a request to change the precautionary means against
him so as he would be able to continue the medical examinations and
treatments, at the same time assuming an obligation not to avoid
the inquest.

Opening of Armenian Genocide monument is Cyprus postponed

AZG Armenian Daily #099, 24/05/2008

Armenian Genocide

OPENING OF ARMENIAN GENOCIDE MONUMENT IN CYPRUS POSTPONED

"Azg" daily informed on May 6 that a monument of Armenian Genocide
would be erected in Cyprian Larnaca and that the new President of
Armenia Serge Sargsian would participate in the opening ceremony. By
the way, the decision to erect a monument of Armenian Genocide in
Larnaca was made by the Municipality of Larnaca and affirmed by the
Parliament and Government of Cyprus unanimously.

The information was based on Turkish press, which in its turn cited
from Cyprian "Philiephteros" newspaper.

On May 22, the same press published an article titled "Opening of
so-called Armenian Genocide monument didn’t have success". The article
mentions that the opening ceremony is postponed according to the
statement of Cyprian authorities.

Independent of their motivation that the monument is not finished yet
and the ceremony preparations continue to delay, President of the
Republic of Cyprus Dimitris Christophias and leader of the Turkish
region Mehmed Ali Talat started a negotiation process.

By Hakob Chakrian, translated by L.H.

European Approaches to Information Society Should Be Used in Armenia

EUROPEAN APPROACHES TO FORMATION OF INFORMATION SOCIETY SHOULD BE USED
IN ARMENIA, CHUGASZIAN SAYS

Y EREVAN, MAY 24, NOYAN TAPAN. The 2008 state budget envisages
allocations for the IT sector for the first time. However, unlike the
previous years when the then prime minister (NT: the late Andranik
Margarian) allocated funds for organization of e-content creation
contests, no such contest will be held this year, the director of
E-Content Association of Armenia (ECA) and chairman of IT Foundation
Garegin Chugaszian said at the May 23 press conference.

He reminded that over 300 works were usually submitted at the annual
contests, with the best works being presented at international
competitions and winning awards. "This year the state did not provide
any money in order to assist with e-content creation. How can it be
explained?" G. Chugaszian asked.

He added that the problems of Armenian e-content development were not
included in the draft concept of development of Armenia’s IT sector,
which has already been submitted to the government. "There are beatiful
programs on building a paradise in Armenia by 2018 but today those
engaged in creation of an English-Armenian translation system have not
received any support – unlike the previous years when the budget lacked
resources but, being aware of the problem’s importance, the former
prime minister used to allocate sums," he said.

According to him, the situation "shows that some one-sided interests
have begun to be preferred in Armenia, and a new strategy and a new
governance system are being put forward, which will create a new
oligarchy in the next ten years and a group of people will get the IT
sector too into their hands".

In response to NT correspondent’s question about whether "there is a
factor of geopolitics" in the neglect of these problems of importance
to the information society, G. Chugaszian said that the idea of
"information society" is European. "We are part of Europe so we should
use European approaches in Armenia".

It is noteworthy that the European approaches to information society
are based on the principles of preservation of national identity and
cultural diversity.

http://www.nt.am/news.php?shownews=113771

Session Of The Heads Of CIS Governments Kicks Off In Minsk

SESSION OF THE HEADS OF CIS GOVERNMENTS KICKS OFF IN MINSK

ARMENPRESS
May 23, 2008

MINSK, MAY 23, ARMENPRESS: The session of the council of the heads
of the governments of the CIS countries kicked off in Minsk with
the participation of the Armenian Prime Minister Tigran Sargsian,
Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin, Azerbaijani Prime Minister
Arthur Rasizade, Georgian Prime Minister Lado Gurgenidze, Kyrgyz
Prime Minister Igor Chudinov, Tajik Prime Minister Akil Akilov,
Moldovan Prime Minister Zinaida Grechanaya, Ukrainian Prime Minister
Yulia Timoshenko, Uzbekistani Deputy Prime Minister Rustam Kasimov,
Kazakhstan Deputy Prime Minister Umirzak Shukeev, Turkmen Deputy
Chairman of the Ministers’ Cabinet Rashid Meredov.

Addressing to the participants of the session Belarus President
Alexander Lukashenko stated that the main issue of the participants
is to "fill the partnership with concrete content". "We are expected
to carry out active work for boosting cooperation and make rational
suggestions for bringing to life all the initiatives," he stated.

Belarus president noted that the main vectors have already been
established in the concept of the further development of the CIS.

The agenda of the session of the heads of the governments includes
a wide range of issues on cooperation among the member states.

International Conference 20 Years After Independence

INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE 20 YEARS AFTER INDEPENDENCE

KarabakhOpen
23-05-2008 13:49:49

Today an international conference on the reality and prospects of the
Karabakh movement kicks off in Stepanakert. The conference is part
of the celebrations of the 20th anniversary of the Karabakh movement.

The participants from Russia have already arrived. Among them is
the ex-representative of the Russian president on the Karabakh issue
Ambassador Vladimir Kazimirov.

Political scientists and experts from Belgium, Germany, the United
States, Greece will take part in the conference.

Politicians from Armenia will arrive in Stepanakert, including Vardan
Oskanyan, the ex-foreign minister of Armenia for 10 years, members
of parliament, civil society activists. The conference will last for
two days.

Zhirayr Sefilyan Asks Political Asylum In Nagorny Karabakh

ZHIRAYR SEFILYAN ASKS POLITICAL ASYLUM IN NAGORNY KARABAKH

arminfo
2008-05-22 15:12:00

ArmInfo. Zhirayr Sefilyan, Commander of Shushi battalion and Head of
the public and patriotic organization "For Protection of Liberated
Territories", who is in prison for illegal keeping of weapons,
asked political asylum and citizenship from president of NKR Bako
Sahakyan. Sefilyan is citizen of Lebanon.

Zhirayr Sefilyan’s statement received by ArmInfo says that Sefilyan
made a similar appeal to Bako Sahakyan yet in 2007. He was informed
that his appeal would be studied after adoption of the Law on
Citizenship of NKR. ‘I confirm by desire to get citizenship of
NKR and I am ready to make another appeal in conformity with the
law after relevant law on citizenship of NKR is passed’, Sefilyan
says in his appeal. He also mentions that his term of imprisonment
expires on June 9. ‘I was imprisoned for keeping weapon awarded by NKR
leadership. The verdict says that NKR leadership awarded the weapon
with violation of some procedure and that I had no right to keep it’,
Sefilyan says. Zhirayr Sefilyan expresses concern about being exiled
as soon as he is released. ‘I rule out the possibility of leaving the
Motherland. That is why I ask political asylum from NKR. I hope that
at least NKR will not reject me’, Sefilyan says.

Political Forces Of Armenia Should Understand Seriousness Of Challen

POLITICAL FORCES OF ARMENIA SHOULD UNDERSTAND SERIOUSNESS OF CHALLENGES AGAINST THE COUNTRY, REPRESENTATIVE OF HERITAGE PARTY THINKS

arminfo
2008-05-22 15:14:00

ArmInfo. "Political forces of Armenia should understand seriousness
of challenges against the country. But it is impossible to respond
to them because of the split in the country", member of the Heritage
party board, deputy of the National Assembly Vardan Khachatryan told
journalists in the Pastarq club today.

He also added there is a public order in the republic to establish
dialogue between the contradictory political teams, which in not in
line with the present situation when no real step is made to start
the dialogue.

Khachatryan said that a task to restore the justice principles in
Armenia should be in the centre of the talks between the authorities
and the opposition. Touching on the problem of prisoners of the 1
March events, representative of the Heritage party said he is sure that
"persecution of people by the political motives promises nothing good
to the authorities".

Boys Night

BOYS NIGHT

Independent and Free Press
e/article/49191
May 21 2008
Canada

Director Sam Hancock greeted author Marsha Forchuk Skrypuch at the
gala presentation of The Georgetown Boys at the John Elliott Theatre
last Wednesday. Skrypuch wrote the book, Aram’s Choice, which Hancock
adapted for the stage as The Georgetown Boys, presented by the members
of the Georgetown Little Theatre’s Youth Company. The story is about
110 Armenian orphan boys who were brought to Canada in 1923 after
surviving a genocide to live in Georgetown and train as farmers. Many
of the descendants attended the gala presentation. Members of the
Youth Company (below) were presented with Armenian pins from an
Armenian community group

http://www.independentfreepress.com/lifestyl

Assets Of HSBC Bank Armenia Grow By 30% To About 337.4 Million Dolla

ASSETS OF HSBC BANK ARMENIA GROW BY 30% TO ABOUT 337.4 MILLION DOLLARS IN 2007

Noyan Tapan

Ma y 20, 2008

YEREVAN, MAY 20, NOYAN TAPAN. The results registered by HSBC Bank
Armenia in 2007 were notable in terms of increased investments and
the improved quality of services provided to customers, the bank’s
CEO Tim Slater stated at the May 20 press conference.

In his words, last year the assets of the bank grew by 30% and made
104 bln drams (about 337.4 mln USD), and by this index the bank took a
leading position among the 22 commercial banks of Armenia. 70% increase
of crediting contributed to the indicated growth. The revenues of HSBC
Bank Armenia grew by 24% in 2007 and amounted to 9.16 bln drams in late
2007, while the after-tax profit grew by 5.4% and made 3.3 bln drams.

T. Slater explained a small growth of the profit as compared with
the revenues by the large amount of investments made by the bank in
2007. In particular, invetsments were made for opening a new head
office in Yerevan and 4 branches of HSBC Bank Armenia. The bank’s
shareholders reinvested the sums to be received as dividents.

A large – 32% share of HSBC Bank Armenia in the Armenian mortgage
market bears evidence of a high quality of services provided by
the bank to its customers, while the bank’s share in the deposit
attraction market grew to 26%. According to T. Slater, among the bank’s
customers are about 40 thousand natural persons and 3.6 thousand legal
entities. The staff of the bank increased by 78% to 339 people in 2007.

T. Slater added that the tendencies to the improvement of the bank’s
economic indices and customer services and the growth of investments
will continue in 2008. It is planned to open 3 branches in 2008, the
bank’s national service center (in May), to launch the provision of
Internet banking services (by late 2008). In late May the bank will
also increase the duration of its daily work.

T. Slater announced the 2007 results of HSBC Bank Group in 84
countries: the revenues grew by 24% to 87.6 bln USD, while the pre-tax
profit grew by a record 16% to 24.2 bln USD.

http://www.nt.am/news.php?shownews=113561