Alexander Stubb: There Is No Alternative To A Peaceful Resolution Of

ALEXANDER STUBB: THERE IS NO ALTERNATIVE TO A PEACEFUL RESOLUTION OF THE
KARABAKH CONFLICT

armradio.am
10.06.2008 12:56

Chairman-in-Office, Foreign Minister Alexander Stubb met the three
Co-Chairs of the OSCE Minsk Group in Helsinki on Monday to discuss
developments related to the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict.

Ambassador Yuri Merzlyakov of the Russian Federation, Ambassador
Bernard Fassier of France and Deputy Assistant Secretary of State
Matthew Bryza of the United States, along with Ambassador Andrzej
Kasprzyk, the Personal Representative of the OSCE Chairman-in-Office
on the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict, briefed Minister Stubb on recent
developments, in particular on the meeting between the Presidents of
Armenia and Azerbaijan on 7 June in St. Petersburg.

Minister Stubb expressed his full support for the work of the
Minsk Group Co-Chairs. "Conflict resolution in the OSCE area is
a key priority of the Finnish Chairmanship. I encourage Armenia
and Azerbaijan to make full use of the Minsk Group Co-Chairs’
facilitation and to consider seriously the proposal for the basic
principles for resolving the conflict. There is no alternative to a
peaceful resolution of the conflict," he said.

Armenian State Commission On Hostages: Azerbaijan Wants To Put An En

ARMENIAN STATE COMMISSION ON HOSTAGES: "AZERBAIJAN WANTS TO PUT AN END TO POSSIBLE ARMENIAN-AZERBAIJANI COOPERATION"

Today.Az
ws/politics/45467.html
June 5 2008
Azerbaijan

"Statement of spokesman for Azerbaijan’s Defense Ministry Eldar
Sabiroghlu about intention of the Azerbaijani side to bring four
hostage citizens of Armenia to responsibility causes bewilderment",
said Armen Kaprielyan, head of the work group of the Armenian state
commission on war prisoners, hostages and missing people.

"As is has been previously stated, all four Armenians, currently
captured by Azerbaijani, are civilians, who bear no relation to army
and were captured in the Azerbaijani area by pure accident.

The hidden purpose is clear – it is to present the four Armenians to
the world society as wreckers. I state that they have nothing to do
with army and even so more with diversion. I have repeatedly stated
that various Azerbaijani officials often come to an absurd point in
their statements.

But such falsification of facts has not precedent and is aimed at
putting an end to possible ways of Armenian-Azerbaijani cooperation",
said Kaprielyan.

According to him, the announcement of the spokesman for Azerbaijan’s
Defense Minister causes bewilderment.

"The obvious is the fact of political order of the said statement
and we feel deep regret about the failure of the due authorities of
Azerbaijan to settle humanitarian tasks preferring political gambles. I
would like to state on behalf of the Armenian state commission that
the four citizens have nothing to do with the army activity and are
civilians, residing in Gegarkunik region. They were captured in the
Azerbaijani side by pure accident", said Kaprielyan.

http://www.today.az/ne

Ukrainian Defense Minister Offers Azerbaijan To Join Military Design

UKRAINIAN DEFENSE MINISTER OFFERS AZERBAIJAN TO JOIN MILITARY DESIGN PROCESS

PanARMENIAN.Net
03.06.2008 14:12 GMT+04:00

/PanARMENIAN.Net/ Ukraine’s Defense Minister Yuri Yekhanurov offered
Azerbaijan to join the process of designing weapons and defense
technology.

"Azerbaijan is interested in armament and defense technology produced
in Ukraine. We will make a military-technical breakthrough," he said,
without going into details.

"Although Azerbaijan’s army is less in number than Ukraine’s,
the defense budget in both countries is equal. Moreover, Azeri
servicemen do not have housing problems," the Ukrainian Minister said,
analitika.at.ua reports.

NICOSIA: Georges Der Parthogh Passes Away

GEORGES DER PARTHOGH PASSES AWAY

Financial Mirror
June 3 2008
Cyprus

Veteran journalist and publisher Georges Der Parthogh passed away on
Monday at the age of 84. The funeral will be held on Friday June 6,
2008 at 4pm at the Sourp Astvatzatzin Armenian Church, Nicosia.

Georges Der Parthogh, was born in Ethiopia on 18 December 1920. He
arrived in Cyprus in 1935 with his family. He worked at Reuters
(1959-1963) and at United Press International (1963-1979), covering
among others the war and political upheavels in Cyprus, Malta, the
Middle East, Iran and east Africa.

In 1979 he co-founded the English weekly newspaper "The Cyprus Weekly".

Georges Der Parthogh led many humanitarian missions after the
catastrophic earthquake that stuck Armenia and during the time of
the Nagorno Karabakh struggle for independence, for which he received
recognition.

The Republic of Armenia granted him honorary citizenship, while the
Union of Armenian Journalists awarded him the Golden Pen for his
50-year service to journalism.

He has also received the Intercollege Media Institute Award for his
long years of service as journalist and photographer.

Georges Der Parthogh was also an active and beloved member of the
Armenian community of Cyprus, acting as representative of two Armenian
Representatives at the Cyprus Parliament and served on the Board of
Directors of Melkonian Institute for many years.

He is survived by his wife Lana, his two sons Yervant and Masis as
well as two grandchildren, Tatiana and Natalia.

The Authorities "Are Not Afraid" Of June 20 Mass Meeting Of Levon Te

THE AUTHORITIES "ARE NOT AFRAID" OF JUNE 20 MASS MEETING OF LEVON TER-PETROSIAN’S TEAM
By Gohar Gevorgian

AZG Armenian Daily
04/06/2008

Local

The policy and economy will not suffer from ARF decision

"From the political view the decision of ARF (decision of changing of
three ministers – "Azg" daily) is a novelty that political parties
can recall their members and nominate new ones. … I don’t think
that this can change the political or economic course or have any
influence upon our economic or political life", said Deputy Chairman
of the Republican Party Galust Sahakian on June 2 in "Hayeli"(Mirror)
club answering the question of "Azg" daily what after-effects can have
the decision of ARF Dashnaktsutyun on changing of its three ministers.

According to him, the recall of the Minister of Education will not
cause a rupture on the threshold of school-leaving and entrance
examinations taking into account the possibility of some arrangements.

The Republican experienced MP touched upon the inner political
situation and even spoke of the rise of prices mentioning that the
prices will fall by 30-40 percent until this autumn. According to him,
not only the international prices will fall but also the government
will take steps to interfere in this process.

What about the mass meeting of Levon ter-Petrosian’s supporters on
June 20 Galust Sahakian mentioned, "They can hold mass meetings today,
tomorrow, and the next day. In general, the European Council has its
rules of game. We have already answered them and independent of EC
demands our whole program contains all those parts connected with
the proposals of EC. So, don’t coerce our people into any control
mechanisms; that the international forces will exert pressure if Levon
Ter-Petrosian and his co-thinkers don’t go out into the street. We are
not concerned about this. Our post-election direction is to realize
our promises and programs in time".

By the way, according to Galust Sahakian, the main instigator of
March 1 incidents is Levon Ter-Petrosian. He also added that the
investigation will clarify everything, and that Levon Ter-Petrosian
will soon leave the country.

Touching upon the formation of the public council the guest of the
club mentioned that it can become a serious tribune where everybody
can give their views.

VTB To Loan Armenia’s ACP $249.5 Mln For Development Of Tekhut Coppe

VTB TO LOAN ARMENIA’S ACP $249.5 MLN FOR DEVELOPMENT OF TEKHUT COPPER FIELD

Interfax News Agency
May 27 2008
Russia

Russia’s VTB Bank (RTS: VTBR) will issue a $249.5-million loan to
Armenian Copper Programme (ACP) for the development of the Tekhut
copper and molybdenum field in northern Armenia, VTB President
and Chairman Andrei Kostin said at a press conference in Yerevan
on Tuesday.

The loan agreement was signed by Kostin and ACP President Valery
Mejlumian, who is also the president of CJSC Tekhut, which was set
up for the realization of the project.

A memorandum on a $257-million loan for the project was signed in
Yerevan in November 2007, Kostin said. "VTB opened a credit facility
of $30 million for ACP via its subsidiary in France last year for
the start of the project and so that work did not stop," he said.

The loan is being issued for 12 years. VTB will be represented in
the project’s management so that it can control cash flows. "The bank
is counting on participation in profit by receiving a certain stake
in the project’s stock, which will then be bought back by the main
shareholder," Kostin said.

In addition, VTB has provided a $78-million loan for the development
of the Agarak Copper and Molybdenum Plant in southern Armenia, he said.

The GeoProMining group, a company with nonferrous metal mining and
processing assets in Georgia, Armenia and Russia that is part of
Russia’s Industrial Investors group, is the sole owner of Agarak
Copper and Molybdenum Plant. The plant increased production 8% to
$49 million in 2007.

The Liechtenstein-registered Vallex F.M. Establishment owns 81%
of ACP, while Russia-based businessman Valery Mejlumian owns 19%.

Preliminary estimates put ore reserves at 450 million tonnes,
containing 1.6 million tonnes of copper and 99,000 tonnes of
molybdenum.

The company plans to annually mine 25,000-30,000 tonnes of copper
and 800 tonnes of molybdenum, which will account for 40%-50% of the
country’s copper production and up to 20% of its molybdenum output.

VTB Bank was Russia’s second largest bank by assets in the first
quarter of 2008, according to the Interfax-100 ranking of the country’s
biggest lending institutions, compiled by the Interfax Center for
Economic Analysis.

Childhood World Expo-2008 Opens in Armenia

Childhood World Expo-2008 Opens in Armenia

YEREVAN, May 30 /ARKA/. `Childhood World EXPO-2008′ international
specialized exhibition opened in Armenia Friday. Thirty-two companies
and organizations providing products and services for children will
participate in the exhibition.

`This is a specialized exhibition fully presenting the sphere – food
products, medicines, education, financial services, leisure and
tourism,’ Executive Director of LOGOS EXPO Centre Ara Stepanyan told
reporters.

Children from orphanages will present their paintings. People can help
the children and buy their paintings.

Various contests and other events will be held as part of the three-day
exhibition – photo contest `Smile’, painting contest `Little Painter’,
contest `Little Sculptor’, a children fashion show, performances of
children dance groups, and a master-class from the Academy of
Hairdressing Art.

All the contest participants will get encouraging prizes – toys and
other gifts. `The doors of the exhibition are open to all children’.
Besides, children will help themselves to the products of Grand Candy,
Ashtarak Kat, Cylicia and other companies,’ Stepanyan said.

The goal of the exhibition is to develop the sector, attract best
quality producers and specialists, and replenish Armenian market with
new types of children products.

The exhibition is held with the assistance of the Ministry of Economy,
Ministry of Labour and Social Affairs, RA Parliamentary Standing
Commission for Science, Education, Culture and Youth Affairs.

LOGOS EXPO Centre, the first Armenian exposition company, was founded
in 1999. It is the Armenian leader in organizing industrial tradeshows,
national and international exhibitions, as well as congresses in
Armenia and abroad.

LOGOS EXPO has organized over 85 specialized and international
exhibitions on various branches of economy.

The LOGOS EXPO Company annually holds 10-12 specialized exhibitions
reflecting the dynamic development of the national economy. -0–

Kim Kardashian Plans Visit To Armenia/Avoidance Of Michael Lohan

Actress Archives, NY
May 30 2008

Kim Kardashian Plans Visit To Armenia/Avoidance Of Michael Lohan

BY: Actress Archives | Friday, May 30, 2008

Internet sex video and E! reality show starlet Kim Kardashian is
making news, and not just because she has a nice butt.

The Keeping up with the Kardashians star recently disabused notions of
a `false rear’ in a recent blog post, saying, `OMG! When will people
get off my a#!, literally! Haha. I have said it a million times before
and I’ll say it again: My booty is as real as the designer items I’m
auctioning off on eBay.’

The aforementioned auction, organized to raise money for the
terminally ill’s Dream Foundation, will feature one lucky winner
enjoying a lunch date and shopping spree with Kardashian.

27-year-old Kardashian has also planned a trip to Armenia, following
criticism earlier this year of her neglect over the country’s 93rd
genocide anniversary.

Of half Armenian decent, she posted in an April blog, `I read in the
comments that some of you thought it was inappropriate for me not to
post about the anniversary of Armenian genocide (which took place
[during and] just after World War) and that I was being selfish for
spending my day shopping instead.’

Finally, following an appeal by Lindsay Lohan’s father Michael to
`look after Lindsay out in L.A. and keep a watchful eye on her’ during
a party in the Hampton’s last weekend, Kardashian may be beginning to
question if fame is really all it’s cracked up to be.

Kardashian is next set to appear alongside Carmen Electra in this
summer’s Disaster Movie.

=10717

http://www.actressarchives.com/news.php?id

BAKU: Nuriyev: US and Russia do not have problems with Azerbaijan

Today.Az, Azerbaijan
May 30 2008

Elkhan Nuriyev: "The United States and Russia do not have problems
with Azerbaijan, but they do have great problems with Georgia and
Armenia"

30 May 2008 [11:41] – Today.Az

Today Azerbaijan is the only country in the South Caucasus which
enjoys stable internal political situation, said Elkhan Nuriyev, chief
of the center of strategic researches under President of Azerbaijan.

He said Azerbaijan conducts stable, balanced, multi-directional and
diversified external policy, which is recognized by the United States,
Russia, European Inion and even Iran and added that this very
stability, effectively maintained by the country’s leadership, helps
us modernize the overall society, modernize economy and sociopolitical
sphere.

"The country is developing and modernization is possible only in a
stable state. Despite the problems peculiar of our country Azerbaijan
is developing. Most of my foreign colleagues state that Azerbaijan is
a stable country", noted Nuriyev.

He said Azerbaijan has chosen his own way-the way of
modernization. "We preserve what we have and we are improving. We have
our own national development strategy, which helps us modernize
economy and external policy", noted Nuriyev and added: "Today
Azerbaijan has turned into a strong geopolitical pragmatic actor. It
often seems to me that Russia and USA are jealous about the
multi-directional external policy of Azerbaijan, but on the other
hand, it was Russia and the United States which found common grounds
in our country and they are satisfied with the external policy of
Azerbaijan. The United States and Russia do not have problems with
Azerbaijan, but they do have great problems with Georgia and Armenia".

/Day.Az/

URL:

http://www.today.az/news/politics/45304.html

ODIHR publishes final report on Armenia’s presidential election

A1+

ODIHR PUBLISHES FINAL REPORT ON ARMENIA’S PRESIDENTIAL
ELECTION
[04:57 pm] 30 May, 2008

The pre-election and voting period of Armenia’s
presidential election was conducted in a manner that
mostly met OSCE commitments, but problems arose,
notably after the vote, the OSCE Office for Democratic
Institutions and Human Rights (ODIHR) said in a final
report on the February election, released today.

-While the 2008 presidential election mostly met OSCE
commitments and international standards in the
pre-election period and during voting hours, serious
challenges to some commitments did emerge, especially
after election day,- the report says.

-This displayed an insufficient regard for standards
essential to democratic elections and devalued the
overall election process. In particular, the vote
count demonstrated deficiencies of accountability and
transparency, and complaints and appeals procedures
were not fully effective.-

The ODIHR monitored the February presidential election
with 44 long-term and 250 short-term observers from
over 40 OSCE participating States. The report assesses
the electoral process for compliance with OSCE
commitments, other international standards and
national legislation.

-There is a sound legal basis for holding democratic
elections in Armenia – the deficiencies noted in our
report resulted primarily from a lack of determination
to apply existing laws and rules effectively and
impartially,- said Ambassador Christian Strohal,
Director of the ODIHR.

-Improving Armenia’s electoral framework does not
require so much further technical or legal changes,
but rather a genuine commitment by the authorities at
all levels, as well as all other political
stakeholders, to a democratic electoral process free
of undue State interference and in line with OSCE
standards.-

The report makes concrete recommendations on how to
improve Armenia’s election framework. These include
measures to address the lack of public confidence in
the electoral process, to ensure that all citizens are
able to cast their votes free of coercion or
intimidation, and to establish a clear separation
between State structures and the ruling party.