Bernard Fassier: Forthcoming Presidential Meeting Is "Very Important

BERNARD FASSIER: FORTHCOMING PRESIDENTIAL MEETING IS "VERY IMPORTANT"

armradio.am
03.06.2008 13:00

French Co-Chair of the OCE Minsk Group Bernard Fassier characterized
the meeting of the Presidents of Armenia and Azerbaijan in Saint
Petersburg as "very important." "It is the first familiarization
meeting between the two Presidents," Fassier told Azeri Press Agency.

According to him, the Minsk Group Co-Chairs and the Foreign Ministers
of the two countries will continue the negotiation process after the
meeting of Presidents. The French Co-Chair expressed hope that the
meeting will yield positive results.

Before the meeting of Presidents the mediators will meet with Russian
Deputy Foreign Minister Grigory Karasin on June 5.

On June 9 the Co-Chairs are scheduled to meet with Foreign Minister
Alexander Stubb of Finland, which presides over the OSCE.

Russian Railways To Scale Up Armenia’s Railway Communication With Ge

RUSSIAN RAILWAYS TO SCALE UP ARMENIA’S RAILWAY COMMUNICATION WITH GEORGIA’S BLACK SEA PORTS

ARKA
June 4, 2008

YEREVAN, June 4. /ARKA/. The Russian Railways Company plans to develop
railway communication between Armenia and the black sea ports of
Georgia, Batumi and Poti, RIA Novosti reports.

On June 1, 2008, the South-Caucasian Railway launched official
activities under an agreement on concession of the Armenian Railways
Company. The south-Caucasian Railway plans to develop railway
communication in the Yerevan-Batumi and Yerevan-Poti directions in
the near future.

The company also plans the development of cooperation with Georgia,
Azerbaijan, Turkey, Ukraine and other countries.

Armenia and Russia signed a 30-year concession agreement, with the
right to a 20-year prolongation during the first 20 years.

Under the agreement, the Russian Railways Company plans to invest
$400mln in the Armenian railways, and $170mln more in the modernization
of the rolling stock.

The modernization program will primarily involve the principal routes
for transportation of 80% of cargoes.

Valedictorian May Be Deported

VALEDICTORIAN MAY BE DEPORTED

WFMY News 2
June 5 2008
NC

Valedictorian of California high school being deported after the
government refused to grant his family asylum

Fresno, California– A high school valedictorian in Fresno, California
will not be allowed to attend college in the U-S.

He’s facing deportation back to Armenia, but his classmates say he
should be allowed to stay.

"It’s really hard to get good grades in this school," says student
Alex Stewart. "Bullard High is a challenging school. So to get a 4.0,
you gotta really try. So I think he should stay."

Another Bullard High student, Misty Stewart, feels the same way. "It’s
really sad to see somebody like that go. You know, especially if
you’re doing good in school. That sucks."

Arthur Mkoyan’s family fled the old Soviet Union in 1992 and had been
seeking political asylum. But the government says there’s not enough
evidence to grant asylum.

A California congressman is now working to see if there is a way for
the family to remain in America.

Millennium Challenge Corporation Allocates $19 Mln For Armenia In Ja

MILLENNIUM CHALLENGE CORPORATION ALLOCATES $19 MLN FOR ARMENIA IN JAN-MAY 2008

ARKA
June 2, 2008

YEREVAN, June 2. /ARKA/. The Millennium Challenge program allocated
some $19mln for Armenia in January-May 2008, Executive Director of
the Millennium Challenge-Armenia Foundation Ara Hovsepyan reported.

"The program implementation is running according to the schedule,"
he said. "We had difficulties in implementing the road construction
program which is now being agreed with the corporation."

The foundation plans to submit an application to the Millennium
Challenge Corporation for further financial assistance for
July-September programs, according to Hovsepyan. However, he did not
mention the exact sum.

The Executive Director of Millennium Challenge-Armenia pointed out
the corporation has partly satisfied the foundation’s application
on financing $11mln worth April-June programs by allotting $4mln
for Armenia.

The corporation said it needs time to study thoroughly the application.

Under the agreement signed on March 27, 2006, the Millennium Challenges
Corporation is to allocate $235.65mln for irrigation systems and
community roads in Armenia.

Slovak foreign minister backs Turkey over genocide bill

Agence France Presse — English
May 28, 2008 Wednesday 11:13 PM GMT

Slovak foreign minister backs Turkey over genocide bill

BRATISLAVA, May 28 2008

Slovakia’s foreign minister said Wednesday he would lobby the
government over a proposed law making denial any genocide an
imprisonable offence, after a meeting with his Turkish counterpart.

Speaking at a joint news conference in the Slovak capital with his
Turkish Foreign Minister Ali Babacan, Jan Kubis said he would take up
the matter with Justice Minister Stefan Harabin.

"I will point out to the minister of justice the sensitivity of this
issue … which can have an affect on our relations with Turkey,"
Kubis said.

"History should be treated by historians, not politicians," he added.

Babacan said Turkey had proposed a joint commission with Armenia, and
possibly third parties, to investigate the Armenian killings. "Without
any evidence, Turkey cannot accept any allegations," he added.

Armenians say up to 1.5 million of their kinsmen died in orchestrated
killings during the final years of the Ottoman Empire.

Turkey says 300,000 Armenians and at least an equal number of Turks
were killed in civil strife when the Christian Armenians, backed by
Russia, rose up against the Ottomans.

Harabin is one of the main movers behind the bill, which would make
denial of genocides punishable by up to five years. During a visit to
Armenia Tuesday he said he considered the killing of the Armenians as
a crime against humanity.

Although the Slovak parliament voted the Armenian killings a crime
against humanity in 2004, the country’s law at the moment only makes
denial of the Jewish holocaust a criminal offence.

ANKARA: New Transnistria precedent – ANALYTICS

Azeri Press Agency, Azerbaijan
May 29 2008

New Transnistria precedent – ANALYTICS

[ 29 May 2008 13:08 ]

New model may be formed on settlement of frozen conflicts

Bucharest. Dr. Fakhri Karimli-APA. All the conflicts inherited from
the former USSR are in the area of GUAM member states: Abkhazia, South
Ossetia (Georgia), Nagorno Karabakh (Azerbaijan) and Transdnestria
(Moldova). They are also called `frozen conflicts’. But it seems if
the developments go on like this, we will soon witness `melting’ of
the latter.

Chairman of Moldova’s parliament Marian Lupu met with his counterpart
from `Transnistria Republic of Moldova’ Yevgeny Shevchuk in Brussels
on May 14. They decided to restore the discussions on Transnistrian
conflict as soon as possible. They discussed free travel of people
along both banks of the Dniester and mutual confidence-building
measures. The meeting on this level was last held seven years
ago. Shevchuk’s visit to Brussels is also interesting from other
aspect, he is the first separatist leader to enter the area of EU
member states, after Moldova asked the European Union to lift the
travel ban off the Transnistria leaders.

The travel ban was lifted after the meeting between the President of
Moldova Vladimir Voronin Transnistrian leader Igor Smirnov in Bendery
(Tighina) on April 14. In exchange for this, Igor Smirnov allowed
travel of Moldovan official in the separatist republic. They decided
to continue these contacts and dialogue on the level of
commissions. The last meeting on this level was held in August,
2001,later the situation became tense after Moldova imposed political
and economic blockade on Transnistria with the help of Ukraine and the
process of negotiations in the format 5+2 (USA< Russia, Ukraine,
European Union, OSCE + Moldova) was suspended. Voronin was even not
allowed to attend the burial of his mother, who had been from
Transnistria.

`Today Moldova is close to the peaceful solution of the Transnistrian
conflict whenever it was’, said President Vladimir Voronin at the XV
meeting of Central European leaders in Ohrid, Macedonia on May 6. `My
country is looking forward for the sustainable solution of this
conflict only within the `5+2′ format and it can be an example of
peaceful solution of frozen conflict within the independence,
sovereignty and territorial integrity of the country’. Moldovan
foreign minister Andrei Stratan shared the president’s optimism.
`Moldova believes in the solution of Transnistrian conflict by the end
of the year’. It is clear that EU leads the peace process formally and
the initiative comes from Russia. Russia is playing this role not for
the first time. Russian Kozak plan, promoted by the Russian envoy
Dmitriy Kozak was rejected by the Moldovan president just before its
signing in 2003 and even Russian president Vladimir Putin returned
home from the airport. Afterwards Russian-Moldovan relations worsened
sharply and Russia banned import of Moldovan wines. Details of current
peace plan are not clear as Kozak plan, but it is clear that essence
in both documents was not changed. The question is that Moldovan
refusal of NATO integration and GUAM membership and Russian guarantee
for the Moldovan territorial integrity instead of presence of Russian
troops in Transnistrian region. It means that Moldova receives back
the Transnistrian region and enters to the Russian political orbit.

In a word, Russia began to implement new tactic on the frozen
conflicts after the Kosovo experience. Moscow is planning to control
not the separatist region, but entire country. It is not new tactic in
fact. When Moscow and Kiev disputed over the Black Sea fleet after
USSR collapse, Russia curbed separatist mood of local Russian-speaking
population and preferred to make Ukraine its political hostage instead
it. It resulted with the Crimean autonomous status and turning of
Sevastopol, the base of Black Sea fleet, into the special
territorial-administrative unit. Now Russia tries to get second Serbia
in the Eastern Europe at Moldova’s cost.

Transnistrian conflict was always evaluated as more prospective than
other conflicts, because it has no ethnic character and there are no
sharp confrontation between the sides and ethnic cleansing and the
conflict resulted with killing of few number of peoples (1000
people). Transnistrian is populated with the relative majority of
Moldavians. Transnistrian cars and residents are frequently seen in
the Chisinau, who travel to Europe with Moldovan passports. There is
experience of peaceful solution of Gagauz conflict in 1995, which
resulted with the autonomous status of Gagauzian Republic. Moldova has
been the agrarian country since the Soviet period and Transnistria is
a decisive region for the country because more than half of industrial
capacity of the country was located in this region as a result of
intentional policy of USSR. Uniting with Moldova opens for
Transnistria prospects of EU integration from the enclave. EU leaders
repeated for many times that EU would sponsor unification process in
Moldova.

Moldova faced difficult choice, though it can be a new precedent. Igor
Smirnov, current President of Transnistria has presented draft
agreement on cooperation and friendship between Moldova and
Transnistria Moldavian Republic during the meeting in Bendery. The
agreement covers equal status of the two sides, their bilateral
sovereignty and territorial integrity, non-interference in domestic
affairs. The conflict can be solved within the framework of
international legal norms and political-economical realities. Moldova
should refuse inheritance over Transnistria. Moldova and Transnistria
can become federative state basing on horizontal relations. Separatist
leaders should take important posts in central authorities, Moldova
should declare its neutralism, pay $1.5 billion-debt of Transdniestr
to Gazprom and parties and people of separatist region should
participate in parliamentarian elections in 2009.

Current developments have reached to decisive stage: establishment of
new Transnistria precedent or repetition of old Kozak experience will
depend on directions of developments.

Damage to the forest is not set down in any document

Damage to the forest is not set down in any document

30-05-2008 12:48:06 – KarabakhOpen

The head of the government agency for environment and natural resources
Garik Grigoryan said in an interview with the Azat Artsakh that the
forest was logged both during and after the war.

`The damage inflicted on the forest is not found in any document. In
those years the government made some efforts to coordinate the logging.
However, the forests logged during the war were restored naturally.
Most forests need reproduction. Unfortunately, in many places the
amount of valuable kinds of trees has decreased. From 2008 the
government assigns funds for the reproduction of the forest,’ said
Garik Grigoryan.

During the checking in 2007 28 breaches were revealed, which caused
damage of 20,163,930 millions drams. The amount of fines was 712,760
drams. 9 people were fined, 4 cases went for trial, 9 are investigated
by the police and 9 by the Office of Prosecutor General.

In 2008 16 breaches were revealed, 2 cases went for trial, 2 are
investigated by the police. The amount of damage is 1,828,222 drams,
602,222 drams returned to the state budget.

The official explains that there is illegal logging because although
the Forestry Code was adopted in 1996, it was not applied by the
relevant agency or loggers, Garik Grigoryan confessed.

Besides, in 2006 a new Forestry Code was adopted.

ANCA: Senator Reid Lends his Support to Nevada Armenian Americans

Armenian National Committee – Nevada
Las Vegas, NV 89135
Contact: Ara Shirinian
Email: [email protected]

PRESS RELEASE

May 29, 2008

Senator Reid Lends his Support to Nevada’s Armenian American Community

Las Vegas, NV – The Armenian National Committee of Nevada (ANC NV)
recently participated in a meeting with Senate Majority Leader Harry
Reid (D-NV). The Senator discussed issues of importance to the
community with the ANC NV and shared his concerns regarding the
upcoming confirmation hearings of Ambassadorial nominee to Armenia
Marie L. Yovanovitch.

"From Las Vegas to Reno, the Nevada Armenian-American community
appreciates Senator Reid’s strong, active, and continued support for
recognition of the Armenian Genocide," stated Sarig Armenian, ANC NV
activist. "By reaching out to our community and taking the time to
hear our concerns about aid to Armenia and the ambassadorial
nomination process, we are confident that Senator Reid and his staff
will ensure that our message from Nevada is heard in the U.S. Senate,"
she added.

During the exchange, Reid reaffirmed his unwavering support of
recognition of the Armenian Genocide and S. Res. 106. The ANC NV also
discussed recent reductions in aid to Armenia and increases in foreign
aid to Azerbaijan. Furthermore, the participants noted that increases
in oil revenue and the correlation of belligerent rhetoric by
Azerbaijani leaders pertaining to Nagorno-Karabakh could destabilize
the region and lead to conflict.

"Human rights activists throughout Nevada and the nation at large
truly appreciate the efforts of Majority Leader Reid," stated ANC-WR
Executive Director Andrew Kzirian. "Just as we all understand that a
Holocaust denier could not effectively represent the United States as
Ambassador to Israel – engaging in a thorough and exhaustive
examination of the upcoming Ambassadorial nominee is a worthwhile and
necessary endeavor," he added.

Senator Harry Reid, the Majority Leader in the US Senate, hails from
Searchlight, Nevada and holds a law degree from the George Washington
University Law School. After a vibrant career as a Nevada State
Assemblyman, Lieutenant Governor, Nevada Gaming Commission Chairman
and Member of Congress, Reid was elected to the US Senate in 1986.
Reid and his wife have five children and reside in Nevada.

ANC of Nevada advocates for the social, economic, cultural, and
political rights of the area’s Armenian American community and
promotes increased Armenian American civic participation at the
grassroots and public policy levels.

###

Prime Minister Tigran Sarkisian’s Message On The Occasion Of First R

PRIME MINISTER TIGRAN SARKISIAN’S MESSAGE ON THE OCCASION OF FIRST REPUBLIC DAY

ARMENPRESS
May 28, 2008

YEREVAN, MAY 28, ARMENPRESS: On the Occasion of the First Republic
Day Prime Minister Tigran Sarkisian issued a congratulatory message
today. According to the government press service, his message reads
as follows.

"Dear compatriots, I congratulate you on the occasion of the 90-th
anniversary of declaration of the First Armenian Republic. Restoration
of the independent Armenian state on May 28, 1918 was the result
of glorious battles which the Armenian nation fought in Sardarapat,
Bash-Aparan and Karakilisa.

We must never forget the victories we celebrated in May, which were
won due to our unity and exclusive combination of our strength which
became later the basis for new manifestations of our people’s freedom
loving spirit and new heroic deeds in the Artsakh war.

Military battles increase our trust in our strength giving us will
and resolution to maintain and develop what has been achieved by
previous generations, to strengthen our independence, to withstand
modern challenges and build a more prosperous life for our people.

I once again congratulate you on the occasion of this beautiful holiday
and wish you all good health, peaceful skies and strong belief in
the future of our independent state and our people."

BAKU: Ambassador Ali Nagiyev: Elimination Of Crisis In Azerbaijan-Ar

AMBASSADOR ALI NAGIYEV: "ELIMINATION OF CRISIS IN AZERBAIJAN-ARMENIA RELATIONS DEPENDS ON RUSSIA"

Azeri Press Agency
May 26 2008
Azerbaijan

Baku. Tamara Grigoryeva-APA. "Crisis in Azerbaijan and Armenia
relations first of all meets the interests of Russia", Azerbaijani
Ambassador to Belarus Ali Nagiyev told the press conference in Minsk,
APA reports quoting Belarus media. He said that the elimination of
crisis in Azerbaijan-Armenia relations depended on Russia.

"Russia’s interest in the crisis in the relations between Azerbaijan
and Armenia is obviously seen. This crisis will eliminate only when
Russia wants it. I am responsible for my words", he said.

The Ambassador said Azerbaijan would not compromise even an inch of
its territory.