Ombudsman: I Do Not Think That Human Rights Defender Should Assess W

OMBUDSMAN: I DO NOT THINK THAT HUMAN RIGHTS DEFENDER SHOULD ASSESS WORDS BY COUNTRY’S PRESIDENT

arminfo
2008-03-12 13:22:00

ArmInfo. ‘I do not think that human rights defender should assess the
words by the country’s president>, Armenian Ombudsman Armen Haroutunyan
said at a press conference Wednesday when commenting on Robert
Kocharyan’s statement saying that ‘Ombudsman is the worst decision
in the staff issue’. To recall, the president made this statement
following the Ombudsman’s assessment of 1 March incidents in Yerevan.

‘I believe I rely on Constitution and the legislation of the country,
as well as on European Convention for Human Rights in my work. It
is the people who assess the activity of human rights defender’,
A. Haroutunyan said.

Clashes In Yerevan Destabilize Situation In Armenia

CLASHES IN YEREVAN DESTABILIZE SITUATION IN ARMENIA

ARKA
March 12, 2008

YEREVAN, March 12. /ARKA/. The initiators of the recent clashes in
Yerevan planned to destabilize the country’s situation, according
to Vahag Harutyunyan, investigator of the RA Special Investigation
Service (SIS).

"The organizers tried to achieve their goal by creating an atmosphere
of ochlocracy and provoking clashes," he said.

The special investigation group has carefully analyzed the internal
political situation on March 1-2. Some of the initiators of the
clashes are accused of mass riots, illegal possession of arms,
ammunition and explosives, as well as of encroachment and use of
violence against authorities.

He pointed out that many servicemen and policemen injured during the
clashes are involved in the case.

According to Harutyunyan, the investigation has shown that the clashes
aimed at a forceful takeover of the country’s political power. The
protesters were divided into groups to resist policemen and servicemen.

Since February 20 rallies, sit-ins and student walkouts had been
held by the opposition leader RA ex-President Levon Ter-Petrosian in
the center of Yerevan. The protesters accused Kocharian’s ally and
Prime Minister Serge Sargsian of rigging the presidential election
last month.

Armenian President Robert Kocharian declared a state of emergency on
March 1after a day of clashes between police and protesters.

MPs Khachatur Sukiasyan, Sasun Mikaelyan and editor of the Haikakan
Zhamanak opposition paper Nikol Pashinyan are wanted by the
police.

BAKU: The Second ‘Northern Cyprus’ Miscalculation Of The Authorities

THE SECOND ‘NORTHERN CYPRUS’ MISCALCULATION OF THE AUTHORITIES
by Zahid Safaroglu

Yeni Musavat
March 2 2008
Azerbaijan

Or, who is the key guarantor of our independence: West, or Russia?

The Azerbaijani authorities continue to surprise everyone with their
own reaction to the processes around the Kosovo’s independence. The
reason is official Baku’s hasty and extremely tough reaction to the
matter from the onset. This, in its turn, is giving way to other
wrong and dangerous steps.

What causes concern is that Baku’s position is against the
world’s leading powers as well as the USA, which is directing the
global policy, and other influential Western states. This is also
diametrically opposite to the approaches of the fraternal Turkey,
influential international organizations and as a whole, of the
democratic world. This is despite the fact that Western states and
organizations, friendly Turkey, and Kosovo itself, have been saying
for a while that the Kosovo issue is unique and will in no way to
set a precedent.

As if out of spite, the Azerbaijani authorities with their own
steps are trying to prove the opposite. Even a special statement
by the USA with regard to Karabakh, including a statement by the
OSCE chairman-in-office in Baku two days ago that "the organization
supports Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity irrevocably" (such a
statement has never been issued with regard to Serbia) has not made
our government to be realistic about the situation. With its decision
to withdraw the peacekeepers (who are part of a Turkish regiment)
from Kosovo the authorities are trying to prove that Karabakh and
Kosovo are identical problems.

One cannot but treat this approach as a "quarrel for nothing"
intention. Incidentally, a short while before Kosovo announced its
independence, we wrote that maybe it would be better for Azerbaijan
to recognize Kosovo’s independence and demonstrate that these issues
are indeed different and to be with the strong party the West. We
understand it is difficult, but there was also no point in being
extremely radical without leaving any space for manipulation. We know
that one never says "never" in politics.

No contact with Turkey over Kosovo

It would have been at least possible to synchronize positions with
fraternal Turkey. We are confident that such discussions were not
conducted and are not the case now. Or, it was at least possible to
have consultations with well-known political experts and politicians
of the country to have an optimum option worked out. Anyway, Kosovo
is closer to us and is geographically located in the centre of Europe
and made up of an ethnicity historically close to Turkey and will
any time in the future join NATO. I wonder, do we not also strive
for NATO and the West?

Some observers believe that with this approach, Baku wants to show
to its largest neighbour that it sees eye to eye with it. However, it
should not forget that the main guarantor of our independence is not
Russia but the West. What shall we win with our move to go against the
democratic world, fraternal Turkey, America? Do we not set our hopes on
the very West and Turkey for a fair resolution of the Karabakh problem?

I wish we were earnest about cautious approaches of neighbouring
Georgia and Armenia in relation to this issue. For example, Georgia
has also its military contingent in Kosovo. However, despite double
problems like Karabakh (moreover, these serious problems are directly
under the control of Russia), official Tbilisi did not show a tough
position like Baku did.

If official Baku’s logic were correct, then Armenia would have also
recognized Kosovo’s independence without taking heed of Russia’s
position because at issue is its national interests. However, this
was not the case. On the contrary, Yerevan officials are cautiously
saying that Kosovo is different from Karabakh.

Lack of national security concept

These all once again manifest that the Azerbaijani authorities have
not had so far a complete and well thought-out foreign policy course
as well as an effective Karabakh conception. This is also a result of
the absence of a conception of the national security, which has been
under preparation for a long time and has not been so far completed,
including its unpreparedness for force majeure circumstances. Just
imagine, although the country’s experienced political pundits and
experts on conflicts, who know subtle aspects of the Western politics,
advise against making hasty and imprudent steps, they want to show
that they are more Catholic that the Pope.

Here is a fresh fact: Addressing a session of the OSCE Parliamentary
Assembly last week on behalf of Azerbaijan, Bahar Muradova, (Why she?

We wonder, was it impossible to select and dispatch a parliamentarian
well-versed in international law) expressed the same attitude from
the rostrum of the session and said that Kosovo set a precedent.

Another unsuccessful approach. Although, representatives of 25
countries (15 of them have already recognized Kosovo’s independence),
to put it in Muradova’s own words, said that Kosovo was a unique case
and would in no case set a precedent. In other words, they expressed
a position completely opposite to what Azerbaijan said.

What else do we want? Why do we allow the isolation of the country in
this way? Political expert Elxan Mehdiyev is right at one point. He
says that Azerbaijan has thrown itself into a hole. In the meantime,
we remember a statement President Ilham Aliyev made in his first
year as president. He said he would recognize Northern Cyprus, which
turned out to be unrealistic and was soon retracted. Seemingly,
Baku has again made a similar mistake.

Armenian authorities in full control of situation – Soghomonian

Interfax News Agency, Russia
Russia & CIS
March 7, 2008

Armenian authorities in full control of situation – presidential
spokesman

YEREVAN March 7

The Armenian authorities are in full control of the situation in the
country in light of the state of emergency, presidential press
secretary Viktor Sogomonian said at a news briefing on Friday.

"There have been no incidents connected with the state of emergency
in Armenia, and the situation is under control," Sogomonian said.

"Meetings with officials from the U.S. and Europe are taking place,
as they are also concerned about the current situation in the
republic, and there is clear understanding as to what happened in
Armenia on March 1 and 2, and not only in the country itself but also
in the world," he said.

"It is the Armenian authorities, not foreign officials, who bear
responsibility for this country’s security," Sogomonian said. "These
or those decisions are made not in order to be liked by foreign
officials but proceeding from the need to ensure stability and
security," he said.

"These minor forced limitations are temporary," Sogomonian said.

President Robert Kocharian signed a decree on March 1 imposing a
state of emergency for 20 days following opposition protests against
the official outcome of the presidential elections.

Soghomonian: Lawsuit Introduced by LTP to CC is Rather Weak

LAWSUIT INTRODUCED BY LEVON TER-PETROSIAN TO CC IS RATHER WEAK, RA
PRESIDENT’S SPOKESPERSON CONSIDERS

YEREVAN, MARCH 7, NOYAN TAPAN. The lawsuit on challenging the results
of the elections introduced by Levon Ter-Petrosian to the
Constitutional Court is rather weak, and no new argument has has been
introduced during the trial. Viktor Soghomonian, the RA President’s
Spokesperson, stated at the March 7 press conference.

He reminded to journalists that any argument connected with the
elections was to have been examined at the Administrative Court, to
which no lawsuits have been introduced. According to V. Soghomonian,
"it means that there was no argumented accusation or, which is worse,
the claimant party was never going to follow the legal way. If the
people stand in the street, make an attempt to carry out a coup, arm
and attack the Police I think these people have not even thought that
they can challenge the elections results in the legal way. That is, the
goal was not that, the goal was, by political formulation, ceizure of
power."

According to the RA President’s Spokesperson, "under that circumstance
the weakness of the lawsuit introduced to CC was expectable."

DIA Signed MoU with Deposit Guarantee Fund of Republic of Armenia

RIA Oreanda, Russia
Economic News
March 6, 2008 Thursday

DIA Signed MoU with Deposit Guarantee Fund of Republic of Armenia

Moscow. ">OREANDA-NEWS . March 6, 2008. State Corporation Deposit
Insurance Agency (DIA) and Armenian Deposit Guarantee Fund signed
Memorandum of Understanding and Cooperation (MOU). The parties
confirmed their intent to further develop bilateral cooperation and
interaction on issues of enhancement deposit insurance systems in
their respective countries on the basis of exchanging experience and
information about banking system operations in the Russian Federation
and Republic of Armenia.

The MOU stipulates possibility of establishing joint working groups,
as well as conducting seminars and consultations on issues of mutual
interest. Previously similar MOU were executed with Polish Deposit
Guarantee Fund and Deposit Insurance Fund of Bulgaria.

Armenia expects Azerbaijan to stop ceasefire breaches

ARMENPRESS

ARMENIA EXPECTS AZERBAIJAN TO STOP CEASEFIRE BREACHES

YEREVAN, MARCH 7, ARMENPRESS: President Robert
Kocharian met today with U.S. deputy assistant
secretary of state for European and Eurasian affairs,
Mathew Bryza, who is also the U.S. cochairman in the
OSCE Minsk Group.
Viktor Soghomonian, a spokesman for Kocharian, said
at today’s press briefing that among other things the
two men discussed the political situation in Armenia
and the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict.
"The Armenia side has one expectation -it is that
the ceasefire regime must be observed, all
provocations on the border be stopped to remain in the
past," Soghomonian said.
He said all three cochairmen of the Minsk Group
from Russia, France and USA spoke in favor of
arranging the meeting of Armenian and Azerbaijani
presidents on the sidelines of the first international
gathering that they will attend.
He declined to say when such a meeting may be
arranged, saying the first opportune chance will be
used to do so, but added that usually such meetings
are Preceded by cochairmen’s visits to the region and
narrowing of differences between the sides.
Soghomonian said the outgoing president Robert
Kocharian whose term in office ends on April 9 is not
likely to meet with Azerbaijan’s Ilham Aliyev.

Armenia: Vote Observers More Critical

New York Times, NY
March 8 2008

Armenia: Vote Observers More Critical

By SABRINA TAVERNISE
Published: March 8, 2008

An election observation team from the Organization for Security and
Cooperation in Europe issued a second report on the presidential
election that handed an overwhelming victory to the prime minister,
delivering a more negative assessment of the Feb. 19 vote and its
recount than it initially gave. The report documented numerous cases
of violence, including a case in which a domestic observer lost
consciousness, and `implausibly high voter turnout’ at a number of
polling stations. It assessed the vote count at 17 percent of the
stations as `bad or very bad’ and reported `significant procedural
errors,’ including placing ballots on the wrong candidate’s pile.

Armenian President Blames Azerbaijan For Outbreak Of Fighting

ARMENIAN PRESIDENT BLAMES AZERBAIJAN FOR OUTBREAK OF FIGHTING

Armenian 2nd Channel TV
March 5 2008

Kocharyan blamed the Azerbaijani authorities for using the internal
political situation in Armenia "for otherpurposes".

He said the Armenian side "contacted the [Azerbaijani] Ministry
of Defence, and reached an agreement to stop theexchange of fire",
the TV reported. Kocharyan said that after the Karabakh armed forces
regained control of thepositions, the positions came under fire from
mortars at some point and added that "artillery had not been used on
the front line for a long time", the TV added.

The Armenian president said the personal representative of the OSCE
chairman-in-office, Andrzej Kasprzyk, wasvisiting Azerbaijan’s capital
Baku at that time and Armenian Foreign Minister Vardan Oskanyan and
Defence Minister Mikayel Harutyunyan contacted him concerning the
issue, the TV reported.

"I believe we are able to correct the incident, and of course, it
is necessary to restore the normal cease-fire regime along the whole
contact line," Kocharyan added.

He said the reason for the incident is that "they probably thought in
Azerbaijan that the situation in Armeniahas dulled the vigilance of
the armed forces in Nagornyy Karabakh. Maybe it seemed to them that
some large army unitshad been transferred from Nagornyy Karabakh
to Armenia." "I can say that there is no such thing, our military
capability remains at the appropriate level and I believe it is
politically incorrect to use such situations forcompletely different
purposes", the Armenian president said.

Shootout Reported Between Azeri, Armenian Servicemen

SHOOTOUT REPORTED BETWEEN AZERI, ARMENIAN SERVICEMEN

Interfax News Agency
Russia & CIS
March 4, 2008
Russia

BAKU. March 4 – Two Azeri servicemen died as a result of the shelling
from the Armenian side on the dividing line between the Azeri Armed
Forces and the Armenian Armed Forces, Azeri TV channel ANS said.

Azeri servicemen were killed in the Geranboy district, it said.

Azeri Defense Ministry did not confirm this information, the "combat
action in this area is continuing," it said.

The information on the situation in this area will be published later,
Azeri Defense Ministry official said.