US Embassy In Armenia Explains New Amendments To Human Rights Report

US EMBASSY IN ARMENIA EXPLAINS NEW AMENDMENTS TO HUMAN RIGHTS REPORT

Arminfo
26 Apr 07

Yerevan, 26 April: The US policy on Nagornyy Karabakh has not
changed. The US supports the territorial integrity of Azerbaijan
and thinks that the future status of Nagornyy Karabakh should be
determined through talks between the parties, Taguhi Jahukyan, the
press assistant of the US embassy in Yerevan, told Arminfo when
commenting on the amendments made for the second time to the US
Department of State report.

Jahukyan said that the content of the report had mistakenly created
grounds to conclude that there have been changes in the US policy
on the Nagornyy Karabakh conflict. "This caused our concerns. That’s
why we explained the content of the report to avoid misunderstanding.

Unfortunately, our efforts aimed at clarification resulted in further
distortion of the fact, and wrong perception, incorrect assumptions and
irresponsible speculations both in Armenia and Azerbaijan. We restored
the initial text. The US policy has not changed. Our mediatory role
in the OSCE Minsk Group has not changed either. Our active efforts
aimed at peaceful settlement of the Nagornyy Karabakh conflict via
negotiations have not changed either. We plan to continue those steps
and urge the governments of the countries to do the same, and public
to support us in that work," Jahukyan said.

Liberation Of Shushi 15 Years After Liberation

LIBERATION OF SHUSHI 15 YEARS AFTER LIBERATION

KarabakhOpen
26-04-2007 11:28:11

Young people from Armenia and Artsakh will gather in Shushi from May
7 to 10 and will not only take part in contests of chess, drawing
and carving, but will also participate in the Wedding in Mountains
operation. 15 years after the liberation of Shushi the participants
will follow the footsteps of the offensive of Shushi launched on May 8,
1992. The project was organized by the Pan-Armenian Youth Foundation
of Armenia. The head of the department of youth of the NKR Ministry
of Education and Culture Marianna Hakobyan told the reporter of
the KarabakhOpen 60 young people from Armenia and 100 from Karabakh
will take part in the event, and will meet after the "liberation"
of Shushi with officials and participants of the military action.

As Of April 25, Only Marxist Party Of Armenia Did Not Form Preelecto

AS OF APRIL 25, ONLY MARXIST PARTY OF ARMENIA DID NOT FORM PREELECTORAL FUND

Noyan Tapan
Apr 25 2007

YEREVAN, APRIL 25, NOYAN TAPAN. As of April 25, only the Marxist
Party of Armenia out of 24 parties ane one bloc taking part in the
parliamentary elections by the proportional system has not formed a
preelectoral fund. Another four parties, Christian-People’s Revival,
National Unity, Progressive Party of Armenia and Social-Democrat
Hnchakian Party, have formed funds, but no sums have been transferred
to them so far.

Ara Haroutiunian, Head of Control Service attached to CEC, reported
at the April 25 press conference that in total, nearly 241.57 mln
drams was transferred to the accounts of funds of another 20 political
parties and nearly 207.84 mln drams was spent. He said that the data
about sums transferred and spent from preectoral funds of candidates
for deputacy taking part in the elections are refreshed every three
days and are placed on the respective web-site.

The biggest sum, over 54.07 mln drams, among the political forces
has been transferred to the account of RPA, 44.164 mln drams out of
which has been already spent. RPA is immediately followed by ARFD
and Bargavach Hayastan Parties. 45.15 mln and 32.65 mln drams have
been transferred to the latters’ accounts, respectively.

The smallest sum, 50 thousand drams (nearly 139 USD) has been
transferred to the account of the Democratic Party of Armenia. No
expenditure has been done from this sum yet. Sums up to 1 mln drams
have been transferred to the accounts of Impeachment bloc (300
thousand drams), Communist Party of Armenia (400 thousand drams)
and Hanrapetutiun (Republic) party (540 thousand drams).

Sums to accounts of Communist Party of Armenia and Hanrapetutiun Party
were transferred only by the respective parties and to the funds of
Democratic Party of Armenia and Impeachment bloc by physical persons.

According to the Electoral Code, during preelectoral agitation a
candidate and party or bloc have the right to spend sums not exceeding
5 mln drams and 60 mln drams, respectively. A candidate for deputacy
and party or each party included in the parties’ bloc have the right
to make payments of 1 mln drams and 2 mln drams, respectively. Each
physical and juridical person can make voluntary payments of 50
thousand and 150 thousand drams in the funds, respectively.

Tsarukian Ally To Sue Government-Backed Rival

TSARUKIAN ALLY TO SUE GOVERNMENT-BACKED RIVAL
By Ruzanna Khachatrian

Radio Liberty, Czech Republic
April 25 2007

The election candidate of Gagik Tsarukian’s Prosperous Armenia Party
(BHK) in a constituency in the southeastern Vayots Dzor region demanded
on Wednesday that his main rival representing the governing Republican
Party (HHK) be disqualified from the race.

The candidate, Sergey Bagratian, claimed that Samvel Sargsian, Vayots
Dzor’s Republican governor running for parliament, is campaigning
during work hours and using state symbols in violation of Armenia’s
election law. He also accused Sargsian of forcing local government
employees to campaign for his victory in the election. He said this
is sufficient grounds for removing the HHK-backed from the ballot.

Bagratian’s demand for his rival’s disqualification from the campaign
was rejected by the district election commission as unfounded
last week, however. Only one of the commission’s nine members, who
represents the Armenian Revolutionary Federation, found it justified.

Bagratian said he will take his case to a local court. Speaking at
a news conference in Yerevan, he showed a campaign poster in which
his rival is pictured against the backdrop of the Armenian flag.

Armenia’s election code bans election candidates from using the flag,
the national emblem or any other state symbol in their campaigns.

The BHK candidate himself is facing accusations of unfair play voiced
by the Republicans. They say, in particular, that he is handing out
vote bribes to Vayots Dzor residents.

Bagratian admitted distributing flour to local voters but denied
that this constitutes vote buying. "Flour was indeed distributed in
the region by all parties," he said. "As you know, it was presented
as charitable work. I don’t think people were asked to vote for a
particular candidate in return."

"I have repeatedly stated that that is benevolence and that nobody
has to vote for the force which distributes aid," he added.

The BHK has been dogged by allegations of vote buying since Tsarukian
began providing agricultural relief, free medical aid and other
public services to scores of people across the country last fall. The
tycoon and his aides claim that the aid is not connected with the
May 12 elections.

Bagratian also acknowledged that his son was placed under a criminal
investigation after assaulting tax officials in Vayots Dzor last
month. "Tax officials there were forcing people to vote for the
governor," he explained. "When you complain and your complaint is
ignored, you are forced to fight with folksy methods. We don’t like
those methods and have apologized to the people for the incident."

It is not clear whether tensions in the Vayots Dzor constituency
will contribute to a potential confrontation between the two top
election contenders, which is anticipated by some commentators. BHK
and HHK candidates are facing each other only in a handful of the 41
single-member electoral districts.

Armenian Pop Stars Announce Support To Republican Party

ARMENIAN POP STARS ANNOUNCE SUPPORT TO REPUBLICAN PARTY

Armenpress
Apr 25 2007

YEREVAN, APRIL 25, ARMENPRESS; A group of Armenian pop stars have
announced today their support to the governing Republican Party.

Shushan Petrosian, Aramo, Suzan Margarian, Sirusho, Zaruhi Babayan,
Arame, Arsen, Arminka, Alla Levonian (she was, by the way, appointed
last week UNICEF Armenia Good Will Ambassador) and some others said
they will be touring across the country to sing for voters and urge
them to vote for the Republican Party.

Announcing their support at a news conference the singers explained
they agreed to back the party because they share its ideology.

"The Republican Party is our friend and it has always been by our side
helping many singers organize their concerts," Shushan Petrosian said.

Suzan Margarian also praised the party for its support to Armenian
pop stars saying now the time has come for them to pay back.

Activists Call For End To Genocide In Sudan

ACTIVISTS CALL FOR END TO GENOCIDE IN SUDAN
By Elbert Aull, Portland Press Herald Staff Writer

Portland Press Herald, ME
April 23 2007

Activists called for an end to violence in Sudan and remembered
millions of genocide victims worldwide during a vigil Sunday night
in Monument Square.

The vigil was one of more than 230 events planned in 150 cities
nationwide this week to draw attention to violence in Sudan’s Darfur
region.

"It is very shameful to be killed by your own government, and that
is happening to our people in Darfur," Mansour Ahmed, 40, of Portland
told a crowd of about 150 at the vigil.

Organizers with the Washington-based Save Darfur Coalition are trying
to build pressure on the Sudanese government to open its doors to an
international peacekeeping force.

The campaign comes after more than four years of violence in western
Sudan that began when local tribes rebelled against the Arab-led
government.

The Sudanese government is accused of backing Arab Janjaweed militias
that have terrorized villagers in Darfur ever since, killing an
estimated 200,000 to 400,000.

Members of Portland’s Fur community, the largest tribe in Darfur,
said they are skeptical of the Khartoum government’s recent agreement
to allow a United Nations peacekeeping force into the region.

The latest go-ahead comes after the government spent months
sidestepping its initial agreement to a hybrid U.N.-and-African Union
peacekeeping force.

Officials in Khartoum gave the United Nations approval to send an
international force into the region last week.

The Sudanese government first agreed to the hybrid force in November.

"They’re not committed to the peacekeeping agreement," Niemat Ahmadi
said.

Ahmadi, who came to the United States recently to lobby for action
in Darfur, said the Sudanese government has failed to protect its
citizens, so the U.N. shouldn’t need its permission to enter with a
peacekeeping force.

Other Fur community members said the international community should
tighten its financial grip on Sudan’s leaders, freezing their assets
if necessary, to force them to accept a peacekeeping force without
further delays.

"We need immediate intervention to protect the civilians there,"
said Portland’s Ahmed.

Sunday’s vigil honored genocide victims and survivors worldwide.

Abraham Peck, director of the Academic Council for Post-Holocaust
Christian, Jewish, and Islamic Studies at the University of Southern
Maine, called the survivors of past genocides, and their descendents,
members of a "sorority and fraternity of death."

"All together, they total 265 million human beings. It’s a shame.

It’s a disgrace," Peck said.

Representatives of Portland’s Armenian, Jewish and Rwandan communities
spoke to the crowd as their candles flickered and wax dripped to
the pavement.

Suleiman Nsenga, 29, who came to Portland from Rwanda, where
inter-tribal conflict escalated to the level of genocide in 1994,
praised the event.

"It’s beautiful, man. It’s beautiful," Nsenga said of the crowd.

The Associated press contributed to this report.

Armenian FM Urges Turkey To Establish Normal Relations Without Preco

ARMENIAN FM URGES TURKEY TO ESTABLISH NORMAL RELATIONS WITHOUT PRECONDITIONS

Arminfo
19 Apr 07

Yerevan, 19 April: Armenia had proposed to Turkey, Azerbaijan and
Georgia to use the railway Kars-Gyumri-Akhalkalaki, promising that
Armenia would neither charge transit free and nor use the railway to
transport its own goods. However, Ankara and Baku turned down the
proposal, Armenian Foreign Minister Vardan Oskanyan has said when
addressing the OSCE Permanent Council in Vienna.

"It is strange that these countries are ready to spend up to 1bn
dollars to implement a project bypassing Armenia when an existing
railway is standing idle," he said. Turkey spares no efforts to expand
Armenia’s blockade, and the construction of the Kars-Tbilisi-Baku
railway is evidence of this, Oskanyan said.

Despite the fact that "after the cease-fire was signed, Azerbaijan
and its ally Turkey expected that in the condition of total blockade
Armenia would collapse under the weight of poverty and economic
stagnation, the republic continues to develop dynamically," Oskanyan
said.

"Let me repeat, the implementation of such programmes will not isolate
Armenia or do more harm than the blockade, but it will promote the
country’s alienation," he said, adding that the political environment
in the region would suffer. He went on to say that Armenia would
continue advocating the use of Kars-Gyumri-Akhalkalaki railway and
would demand that the Armenian-Turkish border be opened and that
relations with Ankara be normalized.

Oskanyan stressed once again that Armenia did not put forward
preconditions for normalizing relations with Ankara and expected the
same from Turkey. "The Armenian-Turkish border is the last closed
border in Europe. It needs to be open, so that Turkey can play a
positive role in the regional processes, including to the Karabakh
conflict settlement," he said.

Source: Arminfo, Yerevan, in Russian 0933 gmt 19 Apr 07

Terry Davis Believes In Positive Moves In Karabakh Process In Near F

TERRY DAVIS BELIEVES IN POSITIVE MOVES IN KARABAKH PROCESS IN NEAR FUTURE

PanARMENIAN.Net
19.04.2007 19:32 GMT+04:00

/PanARMENIAN.Net/ CoE Sec. Gen. Terry Davis expressed interest in
the Nagorno Karabakh conflict settlement.

He stated to journalists that in near future they will witness positive
moves in this issue. Terry Davis also said that the Council of Europe
supports any steps aimed at Karabakh conflict settlement stressing
the importance of all efforts in this problem.

ANCA Launches "Click For Justice" Campaign

ANCA LAUNCHES "CLICK FOR JUSTICE" CAMPAIGN

DeFacto Agency, Armenia
April 20 2007

Today the Armenian National Committee of America (ANCA) escalated its
nation-wide campaign to end the cycle of genocide with the launch
of its "Click for Justice" internet campaign, slated to become the
nation’s largest online genocide protest.

>>From April 20th to 30th, the ANCA website homepage, ,
will feature a special "Click for Justice" banner, directing
e-advocates from across the country to a targeted Congressional
WebMail message. In letters to their Senators and Representatives,
these advocates will call for the passage of the Congressional
Armenian Genocide Resolution (H.Res.106 & S.Res.106) and urge the
U.S. government to take concrete steps to end the ongoing killing
in Darfur.

The 10-day program will be accompanied by extensive netroots outreach
programs to MySpace and Facebook members, as well as partnership with
Armenian American and human rights organizations in this internet
initiative. Over 100,000 postcards promoting the "Click for Justice"
campaign are being distributed at events and university campuses
across the country. Organizations and student associations wishing
to participate in the initiative can email [email protected].

"Take a moment today to send a clear signal to the officials who
represent you in Washington that you expect them to deliver results in
the fight against genocide," said Aram Hamparian, Executive Director
of the ANCA. "In less than two minutes, you can be part of the growing
wave of Americans, who are committed to ending the cycle of genocide."

The "Click for Justice" effort comes in the wake of the ANCA and
Genocide Intervention Network sponsored "End the Cycle of Genocide"
advocacy days on Capitol Hill, which brought together over 100
anti-genocide advocates from across the U.S. for a two-day Capitol
Hill campaign in support of Armenian Genocide legislation, targeted
divestment from Sudan, and calls for concrete U.S. steps to stop the
Genocide in Darfur.

www.anca.org

Three Killed In Turk Publishing House Attack – TV

THREE KILLED IN TURK PUBLISHING HOUSE ATTACK – TV

Reuters
18 Apr 2007 11:17:30 GMT

ISTANBUL, April 18 (Reuters) – Three people were killed in an attack
on a publishing house in the southeastern Turkish province of Malatya
on Wednesday, private broadcaster NTV reported.

Television pictures showed the casualties being carried out of the
building.

The attack follows the murder earlier this year of Armenian-Turkish
editor Hrant Dink by an ultranationalist, which prompted extra security
for writers and journalists.

Thousands attend a funeral for the victims of a bus accident in Izmir
April 15, 2007. The bus carrying primary school students collided
with a truck in central Turkey on Saturday, killing 32 people, a local
governor said. Most of the dead were students on a trip to Cappadocia,
renowned for unusual rock formations and rock-caved churches which
are a popular tourist attraction.