Kevorkian’s cause founders as he’s freed

Kevorkian’s cause founders as he’s freed

Associated Press
05/27/2007

By KATHY BARKS HOFFMAN, Associated Press Writer

For nearly a decade, Dr. Jack Kevorkian waged a
defiant campaign to help other people kill themselves.
The retired pathologist left bodies at hospital
emergency rooms and motels and videotaped a death that
was broadcast on CBS’ "60 Minutes." His actions
prompted battles over assisted suicide in many states.
But as he prepares to leave prison June 1 after
serving more than eight years of a 10- to 25-year
sentence in the death of a Michigan man, Kevorkian
will find that there’s still only one state that has a
law allowing physician-assisted suicide – Oregon.

Experts say that’s because abortion opponents,
Catholic leaders, advocates for the disabled and often
doctors have fought the efforts of other states to
follow the lead of Oregon, where the law took effect
in late 1997.

Opponents defeated a measure in Vermont this year and
are fighting similar efforts in California. Bills have
failed in recent years in Hawaii, Wisconsin and
Washington state, and ballot measures were defeated
earlier by voters in Washington, California, Michigan
and Maine.

Kevorkian’s release could spur another round of
efforts, if only to prevent anyone else from following
his example.

"One of the driving forces of the (Oregon) law was to
prevent the Jack Kevorkians from happening," said Kate
Davenport, a communications specialist at the Death
with Dignity National Center in Portland, Ore., which
defended Oregon’s law against challenges.

"It wasn’t well regulated or sane," she said. "There
were just too many potential pitfalls."

Kevorkian, 79, was criticized even by assisted suicide
supporters because of his unconventional practices.

He used a machine he’d invented to administer fatal
drugs and dropped off bodies at hospital emergency
rooms or coroner’s offices, or left them to be
discovered in the motel rooms where he often met those
who wanted his help.

At the time, some doctors didn’t want to give dying
patients too much pain medication, fearing they’d be
accused of hastening death.

Oregon law allows only terminally ill, mentally
competent adults who can self-administer the
medication to ask a physician to prescribe life-ending
drugs, and they must make that request once in writing
and twice orally.

Oregon’s experience shows that only a tiny percentage
of people will ever choose to quicken their death,
said Sidney Wanzer, a retired Massachusetts doctor who
has been a leader in the right-to-die movement.

>From the time the law took effect in 1997 until the
end of last year, 292 people asked their doctors to
prescribe the drugs they would need to end their
lives, an average of just over 30 a year. Most of the
46 people who used the process last year had cancer,
and their median age was 74, according to a state
report.

Experts say the attention on assisted suicide has
helped raise awareness caring for the terminally ill.

"End-of-life care has increased dramatically" in
Oregon with more hospice referrals and better pain
management, says Valerie Vollmar, a professor at
Oregon’s Willamette University College of Law who
writes extensively on physician-assisted death.

Opponents and supporters of physician-assisted death
say more needs to be done to offer hospice care and
pain treatment for those who are dying and suffering
from debilitating pain.

"The solution here is not to kill people who are
getting inadequate pain management, but to remove
barriers to adequate pain management," said Burke
Balch, director of the Powell Center for Medical
Ethics at the National Right to Life Committee, which
opposes assisted suicide.

"We need to come up with better solutions to human
suffering and human need," Balch said.

More end-of-life care is needed, but doctors should
have a right to assist those who ask for their help in
dying, Wanzer said.

"There are a handful of patients who have the best of
care, everything has been done right, but they still
suffer. And it’s this person I think should have the
right to say, `This is not working and I want to die
sooner,’" Wanzer said.

Kevorkian has promised he’ll never again advise or
counsel anyone about assisted suicide once he’s out of
prison. But his attorney, Mayer Morganroth, said
Kevorkian isn’t going to stop pushing for more laws
allowing it.

The state wants to go after money that Kevorkian makes
following his release to help cover the cost of his
incarceration. Morganroth has said his client has been
offered as much as $100,000 to speak. Many of those
speeches are expected to be on assisted suicide.

"It’s got to be legalized," Kevorkian said in a phone
interview from prison aired by a Detroit TV station on
Monday. "I’ll work to have it legalized. But I won’t
break any laws doing it."

___

On the Net:

Death With Dignity National Center:

Vollmar’s physician-assisted suicide Web site:

National Right to Life Committee:

To Die Well:

/ap/20070527/ap_on_re_us/kevorkian_s_release

http://www.deathwithdignity.org
http://www.willamette.edu/wucl/pas/index.htm
http://www.nrlc.org
http://www.todiewell.com
http://news.yahoo.com/s

Iranian international Andranik Teymourian

Iran ace reveals interest
By Andrew Scurr – Created on 25 May 2007

Sky Sports

Iranian international Andranik Teymourian has claimed
Arsenal are among the clubs to have shown an interest
in him.

Teymourian impressed for Bolton in the second half of
last season, having moved to The Reebok Stadium
following a successful World Cup.

The 24-year-old bagged a brace in the Premiership
fixture against Wigan in April, and has made steady
improvement since arriving in England.

Teymourian’s talents have attracted the attention of
Arsene Wenger and others, but the midfielder insists
he has no plans to leave Bolton.

"A number of English teams such as Arsenal have shown
an interest in me, but since I am under contract with
Bolton, I will not be negotiating with any team," he
told Iran Sports Press.

Meanwhile, the former Abu Moslem ace does not believe
Sam Allardyce’s departure from Bolton will affect his
situation.

Allardyce, who brought Teymourian to the Premiership,
departed last month and was replaced by his assistant
Sammy Lee in the hot seat.

Teymourian added: "He was a great coach who suddenly
left Bolton.

"I will continue to train with motivation and give my
best and I am not paying attention to managerial
issues.

"Sammy Lee is a good coach and he has a good
relationship with me. I don’t feel that my position is
endangered by the appointment of Sammy Lee because he
believes in my abilities."

NKR National Assembly’s Audit Chamber Held Meeting

NKR NATIONAL ASSEMBLY’S AUDIT CHAMBER HELD MEETING

Azat Artsakh Daily, Republic of Nagorno Karabakh [NKR]
NKR National Assembly Press Service
25 May 07

On May 22 the Audit Chamber of the NKR National Assembly held a meeting
conducted by the president of the chamber Edward Barseghian. The
meeting discussed the compliance of spending of the government
funds allocated for development and reconstruction in the region of
Martuni in the fiscal year of 2005-2006. Samvel Shmavonian, expert
of the chamber, made a report on the audit in Martuni. The Audit
Chamber confirmed the report. The board offered an assessment with
recommendations on elimination of shortcomings.

Arman Melikian Does Not Feel Special Optimism In Karabakh Process

ARMAN MELIKIAN DOES NOT FEEL SPECIAL OPTIMISM IN KARABAKH PROCESS

PanARMENIAN.Net
24.05.2007 16:51 GMT+04:00

/PanARMENIAN.Net/ Nagorno Karabakh President’s Aid for Foreign Policy
Arman Melikian does not feel special optimism in connection with the
possibility of reaching successful results in the negotiation process
on Karabakh. "When we see a concrete result that the Karabakh side
agrees with, then it will be possible to display optimism. Currently
I consider such displays as premature," Melikian underlined.

Touching upon the current stage of the Nagorno Karabakh conflict
settlement process, NKR President’s Aid stressed today the Minsk
process has turned into a negotiation between foreign ministers and
presidents of Armenia and Azerbaijan. At the same time Melikian again
reminded about the right of Nagorno Karabakh to be a participant in
the negotiation process.

Commenting on OSCE MG Co-Chairs’ statement that mediators were not
the cause of excluding representatives of Stepanakert from talks,
anyhow Melikian found a share of guilt for the Co-Chairs, "since they
agreed for such a format of negotiations".

In Arman Melikian’s opinion the Co-Chairs began to realize that
Armenian refugees are a serious factor, neglect of which will result
in a deadlock in the settlement issue. "If Armenian refugees agreed
to return Azerbaijan it would be possible to speak about return of
Azeris. If no, it is necessary to think about where these people will
live, where their new homeland will be. From this viewpoint liberated
territories are the most appropriate places," Arman Melikian stated,
IA Regnum reports.

Georgian President Set To Protect Ethnic Minorities

GEORGIAN PRESIDENT SET TO PROTECT ETHNIC MINORITIES

Kavkas-Press
24 May 07

Tbilisi, 24 May: The Georgian president intends to protect all
ethnic minorities’ rights to the end. "I will be an Azerbaijani for
those who hate Azerbaijanis, and I will be an Armenian for those who
hate Armenians. I have recently found that I am an Ossetian. I am
ready to be one, and I am ready to be a Jew. And in spite of this,
I will remain a 100-percent Georgian for many suspicious Georgians,
and proceeding precisely from this position I will protect all ethnic
minorities," Georgian President Mikheil Saakashvili said today in
his welcoming speech at the second international symposium called
"Dialogue between globalization and civilization" held at Courtyard
Marriott Hotel [in Tbilisi].

The president recalled that, before the [November] 2003 [parliamentary]
election he and the late Prime Minister Zurab Zhvania were said to be
Armenians, while one respected politician said that Armenians should
not rule Georgia.

[passage on historical reference omitted]

The president stressed that representatives of ethnic minorities have
always "played and will play an important role in the state’s life".

[passage on historical reference omitted]

Orinats Yerkir Party Condemns Former Head Of OY Parliamentary Factio

ORINATS YERKIR PARTY CONDEMNS FORMER HEAD OF OY PARLIAMENTARY FACTION

ArmInfo
2007-05-24 15:11:00

Members of Orinats Yerkir party parliamentary faction headed by OY
Leader Arthur Baghdasaryan have come out with a statement harshly
criticizing Samvel Balasanyan, the former head of OY parliamentary
faction. S. Balasanyan, who was elected to the parliament in the 35th
single-mandate district, has declared that he leaves the faction and
the party.

The party’s statement received by ArmInfo says that OY is indignant at
S. Balasanyan’s statement that he brought the party 18% of votes. The
faction condemns him for assuming the great work of thousands of
members of the party and trying to justify his acts by all means
possible. The faction also condemns the rumors that there are also
others who leave the party. The parliamentarians remain adherent to
OY membership and will do everything possible to implement the party’s
programs during the coming 5 years, the statement says. It was signed
by Arthur Baghdasaryan, Mher Shahgeldyan, Heghine Bisharyan, Artsashes
Avoyan, Serezha Abrahamyan, Khachik Petrosyan, Gurgen Sargsyan and
Hovhanness Margaryan.

BAKU: Azimov: Azerbaijan Will Not Allow Changing The Status Of Lachi

ARAZ AZIMOV: AZERBAIJAN WILL NOT ALLOW CHANGING THE STATUS OF LACHIN CORRIDOR

Azeri Press Agency, Azerbaijan
May 24 2007

"Azerbaijan always had a principle position on the settlement of
the Nagorno Karabakh conflict. We support peaceful solution to the
conflict and are ready to use all resources," Azerbaijani Deputy
Foreign Minister Araz Azimov said, APA reports.

Azimov said that Azerbaijani will agree to cooperate with Armenia
only on condition that there is normal situation for it, first of
all Azerbaijani territories have to be liberated and Armenia has to
recognize Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity.

The Deputy Minister also stated that Azerbaijani will not allow
liberating adjacent regions of Nagorno Karabakh under any conditions.

Liberating seven regions is now being negotiated.

"The liberated territories will have to be cleared, and it will be
implemented with support of international organizations. One of the
main problems will be mineclearance. It will take much time," he said.

Araz Azimov said the people will be brought back after rehabilitation.

He underlined impossibility of bringing back the IDPS to Nagorno
Karabakh is at initial stage.

"First of all, liberation of seven regions has to be solved. Security
issues have to be solved so that Azerbaijanis can return there.

Azerbaijanis will be brought back there only when security issues
are solved, and the two communities may live together. The issue on
autonomy will be out of discussion unless security issues are solved,"
he said.

Araz Azimov said referendum on the status of Nagorno Karabakh can be
held and underlined that it will be held all over the country.

Commenting on Lachin corridor, the deputy minister said this corridor
is regarded as a contact road of Armenia with Nagorno Karabakh
Armenians, two sides of the road can be commissioned.

"If Armenia wants to cooperate with Azerbaijan, it has to consider
joint use of this road. Azerbaijan will not allow changing the status
of the corridor. This road is Azerbaijani territory and it will not
change. The negotiations should also determine the terms of Armenia’s
using this road," he said.

Azerbaijan Again "Reveals Lies" In Historical Facts

AZERBAIJAN AGAIN "REVEALS LIES" IN HISTORICAL FACTS

AZG Armenian Daily
23/05/2007

Another historical truth made Azerbaijan lose control and carry out
anti propaganda. The truth is that in 1920 Moscow handed Karabakh
to Azerbaijan. The response is based on including the historical
fact at the web site of US CIA. Naturally, the fact that proves
that before 1920 Karabakh wasn’t in the territory of Azerbaijan
isn’t in the interests of this country. That’s why, the official
Baku, in person of Khazar Ibrahim, press secretary of the Azeri
Foreign Ministry, stated that the abovementioned information is
false. "Day.az." informed about this. The Azeri agency also added
that according to Jonathan Hanck, press secretary of the US Embassy
in Azerbaijan, "the information at the site of the CIS is a mere
information about the region’s history. The information may include
certain approaches that contradict the country’s official position. We
don’t even try to insist that the information is absolutely correct."

Moreover, the Azeri Foreign Ministry applied for correcting the
information in the letter sent to the embassies of both countries,
stating that only the Azeri Academy of Science is allowed to represent
the history of Karabakh.

7th Shift Of Armenian Peacekeepers To Leave For Kosovo

7th SHIFT OF ARMENIAN PEACEKEEPERS TO LEAVE FOR KOSOVO

Noyan Tapan
May 23 2007

YEREVAN, MAY 23, NOYAN TAPAN. Solemn seeing off ceremony of Armenian
peacekeepers leaving for Kosovo on a peacekeeping mission took place on
May 23 in Yerevan’s capital regiment. During the ceremony RA Defence
Minister Mikayel Haroutiunian gave medals, diplomas and letters of
thanks to more than 50 servicemen of the peacekeeping battalion. It
is planned that the next shift will return to Yerevan on May 24 and
a new division will leave for Kosovo the same day for implementing
peacekeeping mission.

As M. Haroutiunian mentioned, Armenian peacekeepers being in Kosovo
and Iraq received high estimations from the local commander staff. "We
are very glad that the boys keep the honor of our armed forces at
the high level, fulfil the tasks, which are set before them," the
Defence Minister said. "We are not inferior to another states by a
single step and there are some states, which we exceed maybe by a
half-step," he added.

M. Haroutiunian attached importance to the experience of the
peacekeeping battalion, as it is planned to form a peacekeeping
brigade on its basis.

Answering journalists’ questions, the Defence Minister said that
Armenian peacekeepers will still continue their mission in Kosovo and
Iraq. As regards sending Armenian division to Afghanistan, no issue
of the kind is on the agenda at the moment.

M. Haroutiunian also said that making of prosthetic appliance for
senior lieutenant Georgy Nalbandian injured in November in Kosovo
was completed in 2006 in U.S. and soon he will return to Armenia. The
Minister said that several posts will be offered to him for continuing
his service in the armed forces.

In response to the question about the new head of General Headquarters
of Armed Forces, the Minister said: "Lieutenant-General Seyran Ohanian
is not a newcomer in the army, he is a well-prepared general and I
am sure that very soon he will be a good head of general headquarters."

Armrusgasprom To Issue Bonds Of One Billion Drams

ARMRUSGASPROM TO ISSUE BONDS OF ONE BILLION DRAMS

Noyan Tapan
May 21 2007

YEREVAN, MAY 21, NOYAN TAPAN. The Board of Directors of ArmRusgasprom
CJSC approved the program of issuing medium-term corporate bonds,
which is aimed at financing the work on gas supply network installation
for potential users.

According to a press release submitted to NT from ArmRusgasprom, with
the aim of assessing the process of bond issuing by ArmRusgasprom,
the company is now carrying out an active work with the participation
of Cascade Invest Bank.

In order to issue corporate bonds in the amount of a billion drams
(about 2.8 mln USD), ArmRusgasprom CJSC has developed the "Declaration
of Securities Registration" which it intends to submit to the Central
Bank of Armenia (CBA).