Wall Street Journal About Karabakh Conflict

WALL STREET JOURNAL ABOUT KARABAKH CONFLICT

AZG Armenian Daily
01/02/2008

Karabakh conflict

The Wall Street Journal Europe on January 30 published a letter to
the editor from the Armenian Assembly of America, in response to
an editorial by Azeri Foreign Affairs Minister Elmar Mammadyarov
entitled "The Caspian Moment." The Assembly letter sets the record
straight on the Nagorno Karabakh conflict and urges Baku to agree to
confidence-building measures to further the negotiation process.

Established in 1972, the Armenian Assembly is the largest
Washington-based nationwide organization promoting public understanding
and awareness of Armenian issues. It is a 501(c)(3) tax-exempt
membership organization.

Below is the Assembly’s letter to the editor:

The Wall Street Journal Europe Elmar Mammadyarov speaks about the
need for, and benefits of a negotiated settlement in Nagorno-Karabakh
("The Caspian Moment," State of the Union, Jan. 21). But he refers
to the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe’s Minsk
process — the negotiating framework for the Nagorno-Karabakh peace
process — only in passing.

Mr. Mammadyarov overlooks the fact that in the past 13 years,
Armenia and Nagorno-Karabakh have accepted numerous proposals as
basis for negotiations — only to be rebuffed by Azerbaijan, which
also refuses to undertake confidence-building measures. Instead,
Azeri President Ilham Aliyev publicly stated earlier this month that
"the war has not ended."

Furthermore, Mr. Mammadyarov asserts that "regional integration is
a priority for Azerbaijan." In reality, Baku persists in its policy
to isolate Armenia — from its continuing blockade in coordination
with Turkey to a pipeline that circumvents Armenia.

Rather than torpedo the recently intensified efforts by the mediators
to reach a settlement, Azerbaijan should take these talks seriously,
end the blockade, cease its bellicose statements and agree to
confidence-building measures and direct contact with Nagorno-Karabakh.

NUP Sure That The Participation Of Levon Ter-Petrosian In Presidenti

NUP SURE THAT THE PARTICIPATION OF LEVON TER-PETROSIAN IN PRESIDENTIAL ELECTIONS IS THE "PROJECT OF THE ARMENIAN AUTHORITIES"

Mediamax
February 1, 2008

Yerevan /Mediamax/. Levon Ter-Petrosian very well knows that he
will not be elected President, however he strives to establish an
atmosphere of instability in the country, Deputy Chairman of "National
Unification" Party (NUP), Head of the Yerevan pre-election headquarter
of Artashes Geghamian Sargis Muradian stated today.

Mediamax reports that, speaking at a news conference today, Sargis
Muradian stated that the participation of Levon Ter-Petrosian in the
presidential elections "is the project of the authorities of Armenia,
who very well realize how vulnerable the Ex-President is".

"The people have not yet forgotten what was going on in Armenia in
the years of the Ex-President’s rule. Thus, gambling on the figure
of Ter-Petrosian, the authorities strengthen their positions", Sargis
Muradian stated.

According to him, the artificial separation of the people into two
enemy camps may lead to bloodshed and is pregnant with danger for
the future of Armenia.

Government Decided To Measure Public Property

GOVERNMENT DECIDED TO MEASURE PUBLIC PROPERTY

KarabakhOpen
30-01-2008 13:33:34

It has become known that no inventory of the public property has been
taken in Karabakh so far. In addition, Prime Minister Ara Harutiunyan
said during the meeting of government this reduces the effectiveness
of management of public property.

On January 29 the government decided to transfer buildings earlier
used by state non-profit organizations to the Ministry of Economic
Development. It means that all the non-commerce organizations (except
schools and others) should transfer their property to the ministry
of economic development until April 1.

The minister of economic development B. Babayan says these efforts
will help find out the volume of public property and how to manage
it effectively.

The stocks of the government in privately owned companies and other
securities will be inventoried as well.

It is not known whether the government will take action to improve
the economic activities of major state companies the majority of
which do not generate profit or are not operating at all.

Blizzards Close Roads For Traffic

BLIZZARDS CLOSE ROADS FOR TRAFFIC

ARMENPRESS
Jan 30, 2008

YEREVAN, JANUARY 30, ARMENPRESSARMENPRESS: Blizzards have closed
roads in Armenia’s northwestern, northeastern and central parts,
transport and communications ministry said.

It said roads from Gyumri to Bavra and to Vanadzor are closed for
traffic. Closed is also the road stretching along Selim mountain
pass that provides for the shortest route from southern Armenia to
its central and eastern parts.

Motorists are also advised not to travel from Yerevan to Gyumri. Some
roads in Tavush province are also closed, the ministry said.

ANC-PAC Supporters Back Las Vegas Area Congresswoman Shelly Berkley

ANC-PAC SUPPORTERS BACK LAS VEGAS AREA CONGRESSWOMAN SHELLY BERKLEY

armradio.am
29.01.2008 10:31

Friends and supporters of the Armenian National Committee – Political
Action Committee (ANC-PAC) came out in large numbers to support a
campaign event recently held for Las Vegas area Congresswoman Shelly
Berkley (D-NV).

Congresswoman Berkley, a strong supporter of Armenian issues, began
serving in the U.S. House of Representatives in January, 1999. The
Congresswoman, who is of Greek-American heritage, represents thousands
of Armenian Americans living in Nevada’s First Congressional District,
which includes Las Vegas, North Las Vegas, and unincorporated areas
in Clark County.

"Shelly is a great friend," commented Nevada ANC Chairman Ara
Shirinian.

"For nearly a decade the Armenian American community in Nevada has
stood shoulder to shoulder with Shelly. And likewise, she has stood
with our community, on the genocide resolution and in making sure
Armenia and Nagorno-Karabagh have the political support they need on
Capitol Hill.

Without a doubt, we plan on working to ensure that Shelly returns to
Congress next year," added Shirinian.

Over two dozen Armenian Americans attended the fundraising event, held
at the South Pointe Casino in Las Vegas, to mark the Congresswoman’s
57th birthday. ANC-PAC supporters have consistently backed the
Congresswoman’s campaign and plans are underway to hold an event in
support of her reelection later this year.

WD e-newsletter – 01/28/2008

=============================
WESTERN DIOCESE E-NEWSLETTER
=============================

Bible Readings
—————–

Diocesan News
—————–

WESTERN DIOCESE HONORS L.A.CHIEF OF POLICE

Under the auspices of the Western Diocese, the Primate will host a
reception beginning at 6:30 p.m. to afford members of the Armenian
community the opportunity to hear first hand from the distinguished
Chief of Police issues of local concern and to share dialogue in order
to work together in crime prevention and safety promotion.
( tory.php?id=818)

Upcoming Events
—————–

======================= ======
The Western Diocese of the Armenian Church of North America, providing
spiritual guidance and leadership to the Armenian Apostolic community,
is a 501 (c)(3) non-profit, tax-exempt organization comprised of 47
churches in 16 western states. It was established in 1898 as the
Diocese of the Armenian Church encompassing the entire United States
and Canada. In 1927 the Western Diocese was formed to exclusivly serve
the western United States.

3325 North Glenoaks Blvd. Burbank, CA 91504
Tel: (818) 558-7474 Fax: (818) 558-6333
E-mail: [email protected]
Website:

http://www.armenianchurchwd.com/news/s
www.armenianchurchwd.com

ANKARA: Wanted: Backers of Ergenekon

Today’s Zaman, Turkey
Jan 28 2008

Wanted: Backers of Ergenekon

Thirteen people in the deep-state linked Ergenekon organization were
arrested and jailed by order of a court on Saturday after being
charged with inciting people to revolt, but many commentators say it
remains unclear whether the investigation will go any deeper.

The 13 included retired Maj. Gen. Veli Küçük and retired Col. Fikri
Karadað. The Ergenekon group had been the top story of all of
Turkey’s newspapers last week after it was uncovered as the
organization apparently has strong ties to the deep state — a phrase
used to describe a phenomenon in which illegal groups in the security
forces and state bureaucracy take the law into their own hands to
serve their own political ends. Küçük is the first of his rank to be
arrested by a civilian court. There are many faces currently in the
bureaucracy and the military behind the faces in Ergenekon, and they
should be identified, demanded many analysts and newspapers over the
weekend.

The court decision followed the arrests of dozens of people last week
in a police investigation into an ultra-nationalist group known as
Ergenekon. The investigation has shown that the group had been
planning to kill Nobel Prize winning author Orhan Pamuk and Todays’s
Zaman columnist Fehmi Koru as well as several Kurdish politicians.
The nine people in custody under suspicion of membership in the
Ergenekon organization — part of a shadowy network with apparent
inside links to the military, bureaucracy and some other state
agencies thought to be responsible for assassinations of certain
public figures, including Armenian journalist Hrant Dink — were on
Saturday taken to the Ýstanbul courthouse located in Beþiktaþ.
Officials have declined to comment on the case, which began last
summer with the seizure of explosives and weapons at a house in the
Ümraniye district of Ýstanbul.

The suspects arrested by the court on Saturday included Küçük, a
retired general who is also the alleged founder of a secret
intelligence unit in the gendarmerie, the existence of which is
denied by officials; controversial ultranationalist lawyer Kemal
Kerinçsiz, who filed countless suits against Turkish writers and
intellectuals who were at odds with Turkey’s official policies;
Fikret Karadað, a retired army colonel who also heads the Association
for the Union of Patriotic Forces (VKGB); Sevgi Erenerol, the press
spokesperson for a group called the Turkish Orthodox Patriarchate;
Sami Hoþtan, a key figure in the Susurluk investigation; Hüseyin
Görüm; Hüseyin Gazi Oðuz; and Oðuz Alparsalan Abdülkadir. The
arrested are facing charges of inciting people to armed revolt
against the government.

The Susurluk investigation was launched in 1996 after a car crash
near the small town of Susurluk that uncovered links between a police
chief, a convicted fugitive, who was an ultranationalist, and a
deputy. At the time hundreds of thousands of ordinary citizens across
the nation had protested, turning their lights out for a moment at 9
p.m. and calling on authorities to put an end to the shady insider
gangs known as the "deep state."

Güler Kömürcü, a columnist for the Akþam daily who was taken into
custody in the operation last week, was released Saturday by the
court, but she remains banned from traveling abroad.

The suspects were taken out of the courthouse on Saturday under tight
security. Photojournalists were not allowed to take any pictures.

Meanwhile, Hüseyin Görüm, one of the suspects, yelled out, `Kuvayý
Milliye 1919 won!’ The phrase is a reference to the right-wing Kuvayý
Milliye (National Forces) movement that started in 1919 to purge
Turkey of invading Western powers and resulted in the establishment
of the Republic of Turkey.

Two more detained

Retired Maj. Zekeriya Öztürk, Kahraman Þahin, Erol Ölmez, Erkut Ersoy
and Muhammet Yüce were also arrested.

Twelve people, including the lawyer of a Dink murder suspect, and Ali
Yasak, also known as Drej Ali, another figure in the Susurluk
investigation, were released after their initial interrogation.

The investigation has so far revealed that the group was preparing a
series of bomb attacks aimed at fomenting chaos ahead of a coup in
2009 against Turkey’s center-right government, whose European
Union-linked reforms are opposed by ultra-nationalists.

The Ergenekon group may have been behind the murder last January of
Dink, a prominent Turkish-Armenian journalist, outside his office in
Istanbul, newspapers have quoted police sources as saying.

Police have been observing Ergenekon — the name of an epic story in
nationalist mythology explaining how the Turks came into being — for
several years and have compiled a 7,000-page dossier on the group and
its activities, newspapers say.

Gang meetings in church

The Turkish Orthodox Patriarchate, the Taraf daily wrote on Sunday,
was the meeting place of the group. The patriarchate’s spokesperson,
Sevgi Erenerol, hosted the gang’s meetings in the organization’s
`church.’ The daily noted that the Turkish Orthodox Patriarchate was
founded in 1924 to break the influence of the Fener Greek
Patriarchate. Although it has no followers, it has become an
important part of the `deep state,’ as it was intended.

`As a church, we have regular meetings with the National Security
Agency (MÝT),’ said Selçuk Erenerol, the third patriarch who is also
the father of Sevgi Erenerol. The group owns two other churches, but
none of them has a congregation.

Many of those arrested on Saturday, including Küçük, Kerinçsiz and
Karadað, had regular meetings at the church and gave their orders
from there.

Some of the gang members are members of the Church of Scientology,
some newspapers reported.

Links with the PKK

Meanwhile the Hürriyet daily on Sunday wrote that the group was
planning to use two members of the Kurdistan Freedom Falcons (TAK),
known as the `deep’ extension of the terrorist Kurdistan Workers’
Party (PKK), in a bombing. Maps of the plot showed that the group was
planning to blow up a bridge along a highway where the air force and
the navy headquarters are located.

The group also had plans to assassinate Prime Minister Recep Tayyip
Erdoðan, sources speaking to Hürriyet claimed.

Who is behind Ergenekon?

The name of Küçük first appeared on Nov. 3, 1996, wrote Radikal
columnist Murat Yetkin on Sunday. `However, neither that date nor
Veli Küçük marks the start of the organizations of paramilitary
militia.’ He said if the allegations that Ergenekon was a group
trying to create chaos through attacks to enable coup planners inside
the military to overthrow the government, then it is necessary to
reach the individuals at the `bottom of the iceberg.’

Yeni Þafak columnist Ali Bayramoðlu, known for his keen knowledge of
Turkey’s political history, on Friday wrote: `One looking for
Ergenekon need not go too far. This is the story of Ergenekon — the
Turkish Gladio — from the assassination of [journalist] Abdi Ýpekçi
[in 1979] to `the massacre of March 16′ [in 1978, when seven students
at an Ýstanbul university were killed in a bomb attack], then peaking
in Susurluk and possibly involved in the Council of State shooting.’

A senior judge was shot dead in an attack at the Council of State in
2006. The attacker was found to have links to shady networks similar
to the Ergenekon gang.

Gladio was an Italian organization founded by NATO in the post World
War I period to perform illegal, behind-the-scenes operations to
counter the Soviet threat. Similar organizations were founded in many
countries in the `50s. Many ended up doing the `dirty work’ of their
own secret services.

28.01.2008

Today’s Zaman Ýstanbul

Armenian Trade Gap Widens Sharply over 2007

Global Insight
January 25, 2008

Armenian Trade Gap Widens Sharply over 2007

by Venla Sipila

According to the latest preliminary data from the National
Statistical Agency, Armenian exports over 2007 totalled some $1US.22
billion, increasing by 23.7% compared to 2006, ARKA News reports.
While this rate marks high growth at face value, the increase in
imports far surpassed export growth; imports surged by 49.7% from the
previous year, amounting to around $3US.28 billion for 2007 as a
whole. Thus, the trade deficit for last year came in at $2US.06
billion. Further, it was reported that exports excluding diamonds
trade came in at a total of some $1US.05 billion in 2007, increasing
by 38.7% y/y from the previous year, while imports soared by 58.4%
y/y, reaching $3US.12 billion. Finally,Black Sea Pressreports that in
December alone, Armenia’s total exports increased by 28% y/y and
imports rose by 16.6% y/y.

Significance:Armenia’s trade deficit widened by 73% in 2007 from the
previous year, which is still somewhat more than we expected. The now
reported trade deficit corresponds to some 22% of the annual GDP,
compared with 19% registered for this ratio in 2006. The soaring
trade gap is further reflected in the current account (see Armenia: 2
January 2008: ). The Armenian trade gap is expected to remain fairly
wide over the coming year, as export demand stays weak and the sector
to an extent dependent on diamond trade. In addition, import growth
is likely to remain vigorous, even it if should moderate somewhat
together with overall growth and domestic demand. However, the
government aims to develop regional trade ties, notably with Russia
and Georgia, as well as seeking trade agreements with parties such as
Iran.

National Unity Member: Diplomatic Relations With Turkey May Be Tackl

NATIONAL UNITY MEMBER: DIPLOMATIC RELATIONS WITH TURKEY MAY BE TACKLED

Panorama.am
12:52 26/01/2008

"Geghamyan suggests creating friendly relations in all aspects of
Armenia. He focuses on similarities of interests in his election
program. Our diplomacy must look for similar interests with other
countries," Gagik Tadevosyan, member of National Unity (NU), told
Panorama.am speaking about the foreign relations provisions in the
election program of presidential candidate Artashes Geghamyan. In his
words, even in Armenian-Turkish relations Armenia has common interests.

"Easter regions of Turkey are less developed in terms of social
infrastructure than the center of Turkey. We believe Turkey must
be interested in lifting the borders, active trade and contacts,"
Tadevosyan shared this opinion, also saying that in this context he
really sees commonality of interests.

Asked what steps Armenia must take to improve these relations, he said
that Armenia must continue active diplomatic relations with Turkey,
particularly within Black Sea Economic Cooperation interparliamentary
assembly.

Repairs Start In Vazgen Sargsian Republican Stadium

REPAIRS START IN VAZGEN SARGSIAN REPUBLICAN STADIUM

Noyan Tapan
Jan 23, 2008

YEREVAN, JANUARY 23, NOYAN TAPAN. Partial repairs have started in
Vazgen Sargsian Republican stadium from January 20. It is envisaged
to make changes in its service halls, security systems, and other
infrastructures. The repairs are being done by the Football Federation
of Armenia jointly with Israel’s Green Diversified LTD. It is envisaged
to finish the work in August 2008.