Noble ARF Dashnakcutyun Did Not Use Its Moral Right

NOBLE ARF DASHNAKTSUTYUN DID NOT USE ITS MORAL RIGHT

Lragir
Feb 13 2008
Armenia

Member of Parliament Alvard Petrosyan from the ARF Dashnaktsutyun
stated February 13 at the Hayeli Club the ARF Dashnaktsutyun does not
rattle all the time and will never make populist pledges which it can
never bring into being. Alvard Petrosyan said her party’s advantages
are modesty and nobility, and although unlike others they have the
moral right to condemn Levon Ter-Petrosyan’s return to politics, they
did not do because they did not want to create a negative atmosphere.

At the same time, however, Alvard Petrosyan says Levon Ter-Petrosyan
is now playing on people’s instincts.

Armenian National Team 4 Positions Up In The FIFA Ranking Table

ARMENIAN NATIONAL TEAM 4 POSITIONS UP IN THE FIFA RANKING TABLE

armradio.am
13.02.2008 16:48

With 383 points the national football team of Armenia occupies the 81st
position in the FIFA ranking list issued today. The Armenian national
team advanced with 4 positions as compared to the previous list.

Argentine tops the list with 1 518 points, followed by Brazil (1 502)
and Italy (1 484).

The Georgian team ranks 80th with 384 points, Azerbaijan is 122nd
with 250 points.

Russia Plans to Bid on Expected Tender for New NPP in Armenia

Global Insight
February 8, 2008

Russia Plans to Bid on Expected Tender for New NPP in Armenia

Andrew Neff

Sergei Kiriyenko, the general director of Russia’s Rosatom state
nuclear holding company, said earlier this week that Russia plans to
bid on a tender to build a new nuclear power plant (NPP) in Armenia.
Officials in Armenia have yet to announce any tender, but Kiriyenko
said that the government plans to announce one, and "we will take
part and we have good chances of winning". Armenia has one existing
NPP at Metsamor, and the government has said it will only close the
NPP once it has alternative power generation capacity in place
(seeArmenia: 30 November 2007:). Armenia closed the NPP in 1988 due
to safety concerns after a devastating earthquake rocked the country,
but it was forced to reopen the plant in 1995 as a result of a severe
energy crisis brought on by a blockade of energy supplies from
Azerbaijan and Turkey due to the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict. Western
countries have put heavy pressure on Armenia to close Metsamor before
its operating lifespan ends in 2016 because of safety concerns and
possible design flaws in the Soviet-era facility.

Significance:Kiriyenko’s comments point to the likelihood that any
tender to build a new NPP in Armenia will favour Russian companies,
which dominate the energy sector in Armenia. Moreover, Russia is the
sole supplier of nuclear fuel to Armenia, making Rosatom a
near-certainty to win a future tender to build a replacement NPP in
Armenia.

Owners of Pigs Slaughtered Because of African Plague To Receive Aid

OWNERS OF PIGS SLAUGHTERED BECAUSE OF AFRICAN PLAGUE IN ARMENIA TO
RECEIVE PECUNIARY AID

YEREVAN, FEBRUARY 7, NOYAN TAPAN. This year the Armenian government
will allocate 479 mln 548 thousand drams from its reserve fund to the
ministry of agriculture with the aim of providing assistance to owners
of 18,800 pigs that died or were slaughtered because of African plague
in Armenia in 2007. This decision was taken at the February 7 sitting
of the Armenian government.

The head of the ministry’s food safety and veterinary inspection Grisha
Baghiyan said after the sitting that 1,005 drams (about 3.3 dollars)
will be paid per 1 kg of meat. Pig owners will receive these sums in
banks. According to G. Baghiyan, there are 152 thousand pigs in the
country.

G. Baghiyan announced that in connection with recent cases of bird flu
in Turkey, the respective preventive measures, including strict control
on the Armenian-Turkish border, are being taken in Armenia.

Russia Hopes To Win Tender For Construction Of NPP In Armenia – Kiri

RUSSIA HOPES TO WIN TENDER FOR CONSTRUCTION OF NPP IN ARMENIA – KIRIYENKO

Interfax
Russia & CIS General Newswire
February 6, 2008 Wednesday 11:23 AM MSK

Russia is going to place its bid in a tender for the construction of
a new nuclear power plant in Armenia, director of the Rosatom state
corporation Sergei Kiriyenko said.

"There will be a tender. We are ready to take part in it. We have a
good chance to win it," Kiriyenko told journalist in Yerevan,

The construction of the NPP should begin either in 2010 or in 2011,
he said.

Russia hopes to win tender for construction of NPP in Armenia –
Kiriyenko (Part 2)

YEREVAN Feb 6

Russia is going to place its bid in a tender for the construction of
a new nuclear power plant in Armenia, director of the Rosatom state
corporation Sergei Kiriyenko said.

"There will be a tender. We are ready to take part in it. We have a
good chance to win it," Kiriyenko told journalist in Yerevan,

The construction of the NPP should begin either in 2010 or in 2011,
he said.

A joint Russian-Armenian geological prospecting and uranium production
enterprise will be established, he said. The Russian and Armenia
sides will each hold a 50% stake in this enterprise, he said.

"The first groups of prospectors were deployed in 2007, According to
our assessments, possible uranium reserves are at about 30,000 tonnes,
so the project may be profitable," Kiriyenko said.

Four geological prospecting expeditions will be sent this year and
Russia will spend about $3 million on this, he said.

The joint enterprise will have access to all Russian geological
archives about Armenia, he said.

Turkey Plans To Combat Armenian Genocide Issue At The Hague

TURKEY PLANS TO COMBAT ARMENIAN GENOCIDE ISSUE AT THE HAGUE
By John C. K. Daly

Eurasia Daily Monitor, DC
Feb 6 2008

The tragic events in eastern Anatolia in 1915 continue to roil not
only Turkish-Armenian relations, but the international community and
Turkish-American relations as well.

For more than 25 years, Yerevan and the Armenian diaspora have lobbied
to have the events in the wartime Ottoman Empire labeled as the 20th
century’s first case of genocide, a definition that successive Turkish
governments have furiously lobbied against. Now the issue seems set to
appear before The Hague’s International Court of Justice and Permanent
Court of Arbitration.

At issue is the February 2001 genocide resolution adopted by France,
which concisely states: "France publicly recognizes the Armenian
genocide of 1915." It was a largely symbolic act, since it did not
allow for the prosecution of those who deny that the 1915 massacre was
genocide. At the time Ankara was furious, but despite the dispute,
trade between France and Turkey grew 22% in 2002 and by 2006 had
increased 131% (Wall Street Journal, March 12, 2007).

The issue has never really gone away, however. Last week veteran
Turkish diplomat Sukru Elekdag, from the opposition Republican
People’s Party (CHP), brought up the issue following talks at the
French parliament, where he was part of a Turkish Grand National
Assembly delegation. Elekdag suggested that France should reconsider
its legislation under the terms of the 1948 UN Convention on the
Prevention and Punishment of the Crime of Genocide. "We can go to
the Internal Court of Justice with France and ask whether the law
adopted in France in 2001 is in compliance with the agreement in 1948
and whether the 1915 incidents constitute genocide."

Speaking to Today’s Zaman, Elekdag expanded on his observations,
saying, "What would the authorized court rule if we assume that the
UN Convention could be implemented retrospectively? … It is obvious
that the court will rule that the French parliament is not authorized
to make such a decision, and it will also have to announce that the UN
Convention cannot be implemented retrospectively due to the principle
of legality. This means that the 1915 incidents cannot be described
as genocide. If the ICJ makes such a ruling, then Armenia’s genocide
allegation will entirely collapse" (Today’s Zaman, February 5).

Elekdag, a former foreign ministry undersecretary and former ambassador
to the United States, has a history of opposing international efforts
to label the events of 1915 as genocide.

Speaking at the "Turkish-Armenian Relations and 1915 Incidents"
symposium at Ankara’s Gazi University in 2005, he declared, "The
Armenian diaspora’s accusing Turkey of genocide is a legal crime"
(Anatolian Times, November 25, 2005).

Having attempted to battle the decision in the media, the Turkish
government is now set to take its case to The Hague. Ankara will
argue that since France’s genocide resolution was not based on any
French court decision, then the French National Assembly’s decision
should be based on a prior ruling by an international court. Elekdag
told Hurriyet, "There is no international court ruling on the
Armenian so-called genocide allegations. Is the French parliament a
court? France is thus in the position of having disregarded the 1948
UN Convention" (Hurriyet, February 4).

Turkey will propose that Ankara and Yerevan each select three judges,
who in turn will select a chairman. The panel will review Turkish
archival material as well as the Dashnak (Armenian Revolutionary
Federation) Party archives in Boston, Armenian Patriarchate archives,
and those of foreign missions in the Ottoman Empire at the time
to determine the validity of their documents. The survey will be
followed by an extensive forensic survey of possible contributory
factors such as demographics and disease, ending with testimony from
relevant parties.

Even if Turkey succeeds in its Hague appeal the issue is hardly likely
to go away for Ankara, as many EU politicians insist that Turkey must
recognize the Armenian genocide before it can join the European Union.

The issue has also crossed the Atlantic. On January 30, 2007,
U.S. Congressmen Adam Schiff (D-CA), George Radanovich (R-CA), and the
co-chairs of the Congressional Armenian Caucus, Frank Pallone (D-NJ)
and Joe Knollenberg (R-MI) introduced a resolution to recognize the
Armenian genocide, which was only tabled in October after furious
lobbying by the Bush administration (see EDM January 23, October
12, 17, 2007). Undeterred, Congressional critics in the House of
Representatives recently introduced a new resolution condemning the
January 19, 2007, murder of ethnic Armenian journalist Hrant Dink
(Panarmenian.net, February 5). Furthermore, Democratic presidential
candidates Barak Obama and Hillary Clinton have both stated that,
if elected, they will recognize the Armenian genocide.

The imbroglio seems to be a classic case of political posturing versus
historical reality, and the only certainty is that the issue seems
unlikely to be resolved anytime soon.

Russian PM Viktor Zubkov visited Tsisernakaberd Memorial Complex

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
Russian Prime Minister Viktor Zubkov visited Tsisernakaberd Memorial
Complex

06.02.008

Russian Prime Minister Viktor Zubkov is embarking on a two-day official
visit to Armenia. Mr. Zubkov accompanied by the Mayor of Yerevan Yervand
Zakharyan and the Deputy Foreign Minister of RA Gegham Gharibjanyan
visited Tsisernakaberd Memorial Complex. During the visit guests put a
wreath to the memorial to the Armenian Genocide victims. The Prime
Minister also planted a fir at the Memory Alley.

Not To Have Serge Sargsyan Know

NOT TO HAVE SERGE SARGSYAN KNOW

Lragir
Feb 5 2008
Armenia

How is Levon Ter-Petrosyan going to protect his votes, who states he
will win the presidential election on February 19. On February 5 the
reporters asked this question to the spokesman for the presidential
candidate Arman Musinyan. Musinyan said protection of votes consists
of three levels. According to Arman Musinyan, Levon Ter-Petrosyan
spoke about the first level during his news conference on January 11,
noting that every citizen should protect their own vote first.

The second level, according to Arman Musinyan, is that considerable
social and political capital and a number of experienced activists
have gathered around Levon Ter-Petrosyan, which is evidence that the
protection of votes is quite realistic. The third level, according to
the spokesman for Levon Ter-Petrosyan, is that first the reporters,
the citizens should learn about the methods of protecting votes then
Serge Sargsyan. And since they do not want Serge Sargsyan to know
how they are going to protect the votes, they do not want to spell
out their actions.

International Expert Thinks New War May Start In Karabakh In 2012

INTERNATIONAL EXPERT THINKS NEW WAR MAY START IN KARABAKH IN 2012

arminfo
2008-02-04 14:50:00

ArmInfo. Director of European programmes of International Crisis
Group Sabine Freizer says in one of her articles that the growing
military budget of Azerbaijan may become a fact of the war restart
in Nagornyy Karabakh.

When analyzing the fact that Azerbaijan is increasing its military
spending and President Ilham Aliyev’s promise to make Azerbaijani
military spending equal to Armenia’s entire state budget, Sabine
Freizer does not think restart of the war is possible soon. ‘True,
open war will not start tomorrow and it may be as far off as 2012, when
Azerbaijan’s oil revenues should peak, making the country’s leadership
see it as the optimum moment to recover the occupied areas’, – Freizer
said. The article presents data according to which boosted by oil
revenues, Azerbaijan increased its military spending by a record 51%
in 2004-05, and then raised it a further 82% in 2006. ‘But Armenia is
hardly a tortoise in this race. Though its military budget is only
about a quarter of its neighbour’s, it last year spent some $280
million on weapons – another record. Armenian officials boast they
do more with less because they can get better deals on armaments from
Russia’, – the expert thinks.

LTP staff head: surveys `cast a shadow on the reputation of Gallup’

Head of Ter-Petrosian’s pre-election staff accuses the Armenian media
and believes that the result of the surveys `cast a shadow on the
reputation of Gallup’

February 1, 2008

Yerevan /Mediamax/. Head of the pre-election staff of the presidential
candidate Levon Ter-Petrosian Aleksandr Arzumanian stated in Yerevan
today that `Levon Ter-Petrosian is worth of 1890 Serzh Sarkisians’.

Mediamax reports that, speaking at a news conference in Yerevan today,
Aleksandr Arzumanian expressed confidence that their candidate will win
in the very first round of the presidential elections.

According to him, `the whole state apparatus, the press and the
electronic media, as well as the General Prosecutor’s Office of Armenia
serve to the process of regeneration of the ruling regime’.

Commenting on the refusal of Levon Ter-Petrosian to participate in a
TV-interview, Aleksandr Arzumanian stated that `all the TV-channels of
the country are controlled by a single center and fulfill an order ` to
drive our candidate out of his wits and to transfer the controversy
into another dimension’.

The Head of the pre-election headquarter of Ter-Petrosian allowed
himself today tactless statements against journalists, present at the
news conference, and the TV-channels, which allegedly `obey 2-3 owners
and ask questions concocted beforehand and print distorted materials’.

Aleksandr Arzumanian informed that `we have collected many facts on
violation of the Electoral Code of Armenia by the candidate from the
ruling party, which will be presented to the international observation
missions in the nearest future’.

Commenting on the results of the latest sociological poll of Gallup,
according to which Levon Ter-Petrosian may claim to gain only 5% of the
electors’ votes, Aleksandr Arzumanian stated that `in such totalitarian
countries as Armenia the activity of sociological institutions is quite
doubtful and casts a shadow on the reputation of such authority
organizations, as Gallup’.