Italian Companies May Participate In Implementation Of Programs On C

ITALIAN COMPANIES MAY PARTICIPATE IN IMPLEMENTATION OF PROGRAMS ON CONSTRUCTION OF HIGHWAYS AND RAILWAY IN ARMENIA

ARMENPRESS
Aug 18, 2009

YEREVAN, AUGUST 18, ARMENPRESS: Armenian Transport and Communication
Minister Gurgen Sargsyan received today Italian ambassador to Armenia
Bruno Skappini. Transport and Communication Ministry’s press service
told Armenpress that the minister presented to the ambassador the
programs being implemented in the sphere, as well as the program of
construction of "North-South" highway and "North-South" railway.

The ambassador informed that there are well-known companies in Italy
which are specialized in construction of railway and highways and
which may participate in the projects in Armenia. The ambassador
said he will do everything to support in the implementation of the
two programs as the development of transport system will promote the
general development of the country.

The ambassador was interested in the process of digitalization of
TV. He said as far as Italy has completely passed to digitalization
its experience may be useful for Armenia.

Buying BMWs On Plastic? It’s A Scam, Say Feds

BUYING BMWS ON PLASTIC? IT’S A SCAM, SAY FEDS
By Bruce Vielmetti

Milwaukee Journal Sentinel
Aug. 17, 2009

Shorewood couple charged with faking balances to get SUVs

An immigrant couple in Shorewood used several credit cards with falsely
inflated balances to buy two BMW SUVs that they told a dealer they
intended to ship to Russia, according to federal court records.

Sergey Mikayelyan, 49, and Rita Grigoryan, 47, fraudulently raised the
balances on credit cards in their names by sending to their accounts
payment using convenience checks from other credit card accounts,
checks that exceeded the available balances on those credit cards,
a scam known as a bust-out scheme, according to a criminal complaint.

The two were arrested Friday and made an initial appearance in federal
court Saturday, when Grigoryan was ordered released.

Mikayelyan was held until Monday, when a judge ordered him released
on his own recognizance after hearing that he has family in the
United States, including his two children, and had applied for asylum
after coming to the United States from Armenia six years ago. But
Mikayelyan was ordered not to have any credit cards or make any
purchases on credit.

According to the complaint: The couple bought two BMW X3s from
Autosource Motors in Cudahy late last month for a total of about
$32,000, using seven credit cards, and made other large purchases
not described in the complaint.

The case apparently came to the attention of the U.S. Secret Service
last week with a call from a fraud investigator with Citibank, one
of the banks that issued credit cards to the defendants.

Both Mikayelyan and Grigoryan were involved in the purchase of the
two BMWs, the dealership’s general manager, Nathan McFadden, told
investigators, and they had Wisconsin driver’s licenses that showed
they lived in Shorewood. Each had permanent resident alien immigration
status, according to court records.

On Thursday, Mikayelyan returned to the dealer to request new tires for
one of the BMWs because he planned to ship it to Russia. The second
BMW was already in a shipping container in Chicago, also headed to
Russia, he told McFadden, who declined to discuss the sales on Monday.

According to the affidavit in support of the criminal complaint,
banking experts told the Secret Service that credit card bust-out
schemes often are employed by foreign nationals before they intend
to permanently leave the U.S. Both Mikayelyan and Grigoryan were out
of work, and they had given notice to their landlord that they were
leaving, a prosecutor said.

But at Monday’s detention hearing, U.S. Magistrate Judge William
E. Callahan Jr. also heard that the couple had just put down a deposit
on a bigger apartment in Milwaukee and that Grigoryan had been let
go from her last job, not quit.

Armenian Community -India,celebrates Virgin Assumption Day.

17.08.2009 18:30 GMT+04:00
Armenian Community in India celebrates Virgin Assumption Day

/PanARMENIAN.Net/ On August 16, Armenian Apostolic Church celebrated
Virgin Assumption Day. In India, Armenian community representatives
made their traditional pilgrimage to St. Mary church in Saidabad to
participate in festive liturgy conducted by clegyman Ter Avetis
Hambardzumyan.

Liturgy was followed by vine consecration ceremony. At the end, the
clergyman preached a sermon, and thereafter consecrated vines were
distributed among visitors.

http://www.panarmenian.net/news/eng/?nid=3D35388

Allocation From French Armenian Benefactor Grigor Shahinian’s Will I

ALLOCATION FROM FRENCH ARMENIAN BENEFACTOR GRIGOR SHAHINIAN’S WILL IS MADE FOR CONSTRUCTION OF CARDIOLOGY HOSPITAL IN GORIS, A NUMBER OF OTHER FRENCH INSTITUTIONS TAKE PART IN THE PROGRAM

Noyan Tapan
Aug 17, 2009
Goris

GORIS, AUGUST 17, NOYAN TAPAN – ARMENIANS TODAY. According to the
Hayastan All-Armenian Fund, a Cardiology hospital has been built in
Goris, which will function as a branch of Yerevan Center of Cardiology
and serve population of southern regions of Armenia and Artsakh.

The construction program of the hospital is financed by the
Fund’s French affiliate, the French-Armenian Doctors’ Assosiation
(Association de Sante Franco-Armenienne, ASAF) based in Marseille,
and the department of the southern region of Bouches-du-Rhone. The
considerable part of the amount is allocated from the will of
benefactor Grigor Shahinian.

According to the Public Relations Department of the Hayastan
All-Armenian Fund, thanks to the newly built construction the
patients, instead of reaching Yerevan, will have access to high-quality
healthcare at this center which will secure accessible and qualified
healthcare.

The floor of the basement of the hospital, the outer walls and the
root are already built. The construction works of the boiler house,
reservoir, the inner system of water supply are in the process.

Elina Danielyan Took A Victory Over The Turkish Chess Player

ELINA DANIELYAN TOOK A VICTORY OVER THE TURKISH CHESS PLAYER

Aysor.am
17.08.2009, 16:47

In the Greek Chalkida took place the 7th round of the international
chess tournament called "Australian Open". The Armenian chess
player Elina Danielyan took victory over the Turkish player Burack
Fatirin. Now Elina has 4 points in her active and is between 24-45
places. It’s also worth mentioning that the leaders, Bosnian Predoevich
and Greek Papaioanu, have 5,5 points in their active. Two rounds
left till the end of the tournament, and probably Elina Danielyan
will not be able to interfere for the prize places practically. But
she can and has to try to improve her situation.

Elina Danielyan will play with Serbian Alisa Marich by the white.

Truck Bomb Signals Trouble On Russia’s Southern Flank

TRUCK BOMB SIGNALS TROUBLE ON RUSSIA’S SOUTHERN FLANK

Christian Science Monitor
Aug17, 2009

Emergency workers look through debris at a destroyed police station
in Nazran, Ingushetia, Russia, Monday. A suicide bomber exploded a
truck at a police station in Russia’s restive North Caucasus Monday,
killing at least 20 people and wounding 60 others, officials said.

(Musa Sadulayev/AP) Photo

Truck bomb signals trouble on Russia’s southern flank A week of
regional violence climaxed Monday in Ingushetia when a suicide bomber
blew a hole in a heavily fortified police headquarters, killing at
least 20.

By Fred Weir | Correspondent 08.17.09

/2009/08/17/truck-bomb-signals-trouble-on-russias- southern-flank/

A week of extremist attacks on Russia’s seething southern flank
climaxed Monday with a suicide truck bombing in Ingushetia that killed
at least 20 and injured scores outside a police station in the tiny
republic’s main city, Nazran.

The resulting explosion triggered a "raging fire" that destroyed a
weapons room, incinerated nearby cars, and damaged nearby apartment
buildings, according to an Associated Press (AP) report from Nazran. It
was one of the deadliest attacks in the region in years, the AP said.

Violence by Islamist insurgents, once confined mainly to separatist
Chechnya, has gradually spread throughout much of Russia’s
northern Caucasus, leaving Russian authorities increasingly unable
to guarantee order, or even protect pro-Moscow officials, in the
mainly Muslim region. (See map.) For Moscow, the stakes are huge. The
northern Caucasus region is Russia’s gateway to the energy-rich and
strategically vital southern Caucasus, which includes the former
Soviet nations of Georgia, Azerbaijan, and Armenia.

Worsening violence in the area could seriously disrupt the planned 2014
Winter Olympics in nearby Sochi, into which former President Vladimir
Putin invested about $12 billion along with his own personal prestige.

Concerns Moscow could lose control Long-simmering concerns that Moscow
could lose control in the volatile northern Caucasus, where Chechen
rebels have waged a persistent insurgency since 1991, are spiking
again given the past week of attacks.

Monday’s bombing in Ingushetia, which blew a huge hole in Nazran’s
fortified police headquarters, was reminiscent of attacks carried out
by Chechen rebels at the height of that insurgency against Russian
troops in the early days of Mr. Putin’s 2000-08 term.

Over the weekend, at least two gun battles between police and
separatist insurgents in Chechnya itself left about a dozen people
dead and made the Kremlin’s boast of restoring order in that troubled
republic look increasingly hollow.

In nearby Dagestan, a multiethnic mountain republic on the Caspian Sea,
insurgent snipers killed two policemen in separate attacks on Saturday.

Last week, insurgents killed four police officers at a checkpoint in
Buinaksk, near Dagestan’s border with Chechnya.

And in Ingushetia, where violence has been spiking in recent months,
three gunmen shot an killed a female fortune-teller this past
Thursday. Occultists are a common target of Islamist extremists, who
regard them as blasphemers, occording to Russian press reports. The
previous day, insurgents assassinated Ingushetia’s construction
minister in his own heavily guarded office.

Cracks in Moscow’s strategy to contain Caucasus Russia’s northern
Caucasus includes eight republics, six of which are populated mainly
by Muslims, that were conquered and incorporated into the Russian
Empire in the 19th century.

Following the collapse of the Soviet Union, Russia fought two savage
wars to regain control of separatist Chechnya.

The Kremlin seemed to find a winning formula in handing power to a
local pro-Moscow strongman, Ramzan Kadyrov, who pacified the republic
by co-opting former rebels into his personal security corps and
allegedly launching a wave of terror to suppress any dissent against
his rule.

Several human rights activists who attempted to report on Mr. Kadyrov’s
methods have been killed in recent months.

But attempts to install similarly effective local bosses in other
republics, notably Ingushetia, have proven less successful.

In June, Ingushetia’s recently appointed president, Yunus-Bek
Yevkurov, received grave injuries in a car-bombing, from which he is
still recovering. Mr. Yevkurov blamed Monday’s attack on militants
retaliating against heightened security measures along the border
with Chechnya, reported the Associated Press.

"It was an attempt to stablize the situation
and sow panic," said the president in a statement.

http://features.csmonitor.com/globalnews

THE TACTICS OF FEAR

THE TACTICS OF FEAR
IGOR MURADYAN

litics&pid=14943
17:27:34 – 17/08/2009

Now is "dead season" of the political life in Armenia. Remarkably cool
summer is the best time for the Armenian political class to forget
about obscure insults of foreign political nature and "rinsing brains"
on the eve of new Yerevan intrigues. Perhaps the most effective and
adequate behavior of the Armenian political class would be permanent
vacation, always, until they serve their full "term". Moreover, the
viewers would also be in constant vacation drowsiness. Generally, in
terms of national security it would be useful if the political class,
including the parliamentarians, kept away from politics.

Apparently, however, someone is interested in stirring public moods,
imposing public moods in Armenia, imposing absolutely invented
and fantastic topics. Especially the so-called Regnum news agency
is interested in this, which floods readers with materials with a
distinct purpose, the authors of which are either Azerbaijanis or
Russians who are introduced as political experts or analysts. These
publications aim to hold the Armenian readers in constant fear,
creating an atmosphere of psychosis, lack of confidence in the behavior
of Russia as Armenia’s partner, the indisputable military advantage
of Azerbaijan, the geopolitical doom of Armenia, the inevitability
of rapprochement of Russia and Turkey.

Such publications are naturally in the interests of Russia and intend
to pressure on the Armenian society, annihilating resistance to foreign
pressure regarding the Karabakh issue. It should be noted that Regnum
and its sputniks managed to create such an atmosphere in Armenia,
and those in Moscow who had ordered this provocation can celebrate
another information victory on the Armenian political class. All
this jabber is far from being true, Azerbaijan has no chance for
military success and expectation of Ankara’s or Moscow’s approval
for a possible military adventurousness. Regnum is not limited to its
resources and multiplies its possibilities by creating new websites in
Armenia which aim to invade the information sphere in Armenia and in
the Caucasus. Surprisingly, no national or other mass media, including
the electronic ones, wish to hit these provokers on the hand who feel
to be so privileged in our country. Regnum acts both in Armenia and
the Russian camp. What is this if not social and political harm?

http://www.lragir.am/src/index.php?id=po

Yankee Group Announces Analysts Speaking at 4G World Conference

Yankee Group Announces Analysts Speaking at 4G World Conference

Leading Industry Analysts to Participate in Unique Next-Generation
Event

Business Wire
August 12, 2009

BOSTON — (Business Wire) — Yankee Group announced today that seven
research analysts from the company will be speaking at the 4G World
conference and expo. Running from September 15 to 18 at McCormick
Place in Chicago, IL, 4G World combines WiMAX World, Mobile Internet
World and the WCAI Annual International Symposium under one roof for a
unique, thought-leading event. The event features the top voices from
the telecommunications, technology and mobile industries.

Here is a closer look at Yankee Group analysts attending 4G World:

Phil Marshall, senior research fellow, and Berge Ayvazian, senior
advisor, will deliver the opening keynote ‘ 4G Outlook and Market
Assessment.

Ayvazian will also chair the Operator Deployment Strategies track
sessions on September 17. Topics include: 4G Network Deployments in
Asia-Pacific, Cable
Operator Strategies for 4G Mobile Broadband Deployment and Cable
Operator Plans for Mobile Broadband and TV Anywhere.

Marshall will also chair the 4G Femtocell and Picocell Summit on
September 15, along with the LTE and HSPA track sessions on September
16 and the LTE and CDMA Technology Road Maps track sessions on
September 17. Topics include: The Business Case for Femtocells and
Piccocells, Architecture and
Market Assessment and Technology Strategies.

Ashvin Vellody, senior vice president, will chair the 4G Business
Strategies track sessions on September 15. Topics include: Anywhere
Applications for 4G Mobile Broadband Networks, 4G Network Planning,
Design and Optimization and Software Systems to Support 4G Networks.

Jennifer Pigg, vice president, will chair the 4G Network Backhaul
Summit on September 15. Topics include: Ethernet and Fiber for 4G
Network Backhaul, Assessment of Needs and Alternatives and Wireless
Solutions.

Zeus Kerrevala, senior vice president, will deliver the September 17
keynote

Carl Howe, director, will chair the Open Applications Development for
the Mobile Internet track sessions on September 17. Topics include:
Open Applications Development for the Mobile Internet, Open Mobile
Application Development and Open Mobile Initiatives and the M2M
Opportunity. Howe will also chair the Anywhere Web track sessions on
September 18. Topics include: Anywhere Browsing and The Best of the
Mobile Web.

Andy Castonguay, director, will chair the Mobile Internet Device
Strategies track sessions on September 18. Topics include: Open
Handset and Device Strategies and Netbooks, MIDs and Smartphones.

For more information on Yankee Group’s presence at 4G World, please
visit the conference Web site:

About Yankee Group ()

The people of Yankee Group are the global connectivity experts`the
leading source of insight and counsel trusted by builders, operators
and users of connectivity solutions for nearly 40 years. We are
uniquely focused on the evolution of Anywhere connectivity, and chart
the pace of technology change and its effect on networks, consumers
and enterprises. Headquartered in Boston, Yankee Group has a global
presence, including operations in North America, Europe, the Middle
East, Africa, Latin America and Asia-Pacific. Visit

Yankee Group
Ashlee Clevenger, 617`598`7268
[email protected]

http://4gworld.com/
www.yankeegroup.com
www.yankeegroup.com.

Armenia should not afraid of strong earthquakes within coming year

Armenia should not afraid of strong earthquakes within the coming year

armradio.am
15.08.2009 16:43

Press conference of the National seismic protection service of Armenia
was organized today in Yerevan. The event was attended by Alvaro
Antonyan, director of the National seismic protection service,
Professor Vladimir Kosobokov, a leading researcher of the International
Institute for Earthquake Prediction Theory and Mathematical Geophysics
of the Russian Academy of Sciences.

According to Alvaro Antonyan, within the coming year in Armenia should
not afraid of strong earthquakes. No earthquakes have been registered
for the entire 2009 in the country yet, except aftershocks in Garni
neighborhood. The latter caused severe panic among villagers and
Yerevan residents.

British Medical Association Against Including Women’s Box In Olympic

BRITISH MEDICAL ASSOCIATION AGAINST INCLUDING WOMEN’S BOX IN OLYMPIC PROGRAM

/PanARMENIAN.Net/
14.08.2009 21:41 GMT+04:00

/PanARMENIAN.Net/ British doctors protested against IOC’s decision
to include women’s box in Olympic program. They find popularization
of that form of sport harmful to women and not only to them.

British Medical Association (BMA) does not approve International
Olympic Committee’s decision to include women’s box in 2012 Olympic
Games program.

"The BMA is disappointed by the decision of the International Olympic
Committee’s executive board to introduce women’s boxing to the 2012
Olympics as it is likely to encourage more people to take up this
dangerous sport," Reuters reports, quoting organization’s release.

"Irrespective of their gender, during the course of a fight, boxers
can suffer acute brain haemorrhage and serious damage to their eyes,
ears and nose," doctors warn.

By the decision of International Olympic Committee, women will compete
at three weights in London – flyweight (48 – 51kg), lightweight (56 –
60kg) and middleweight (69 – 75kg) – with 12 boxers taking part at
each weight.

Under IOC regulations, the overall number of boxers remains unchanged –
286, with 250 being men and 36 – women.

IOC President Jacques Rogge "rejoices" about IOC’s decision as he
considers that "women’s boxing has progressed a tremendous amount in
the last five years, and it was time that it be included in the games."